Ice in the Summer

The Mask of Sanity:

Hello guys! I'm back with Chapter 3 which, as I promised, in the icy's Jessica's P.O.V ! XD Now, I know a lot of you guys were craving Yulsic so I got some begining Yulsic in this chapter nad I hope you guys aren't mad that Taeny hasn't been here for a while. They have been mentioned but I want to introduce our little Yoonhyun. Do you? C:
Anyway, thank you for the comments and I got the replies below so read all the way to the end! Please comment and tell me your thoughts if you don't want 'Hell Sica' to come chasing you! lol.


 














 

Chapter 3: Jessica

Ice in the Summer








I could only glare at the hiding figure behind the window of the playroom, thousands of snide remarks ready to be spoken if that girl moves, even if it’s just an inch. I was clenching my cleaning rag tightly in my left hand as my right hand was placed on my hip. I kept a close eye on the peeping girl as I walked around the tiny tables below me, wiping them slowly.

I let out a quiet sigh.

The children were done for the day and had retreated to their rooms and I was relieved that they weren’t around right now, just in case ‘Hell Sica’ unleashes at this very moment. I could hear light tapping and I became a bit curious about what the girl was planning to do.

I glanced back behind me and I made slight eye contact with the wide-eyed raven that stared at me curiously, her head cocked to the side as if she was thinking whether to step into the room or leave. My eyes went down to her long legs and I could see one foot through the door and the other ready to run away.

I quickly looked back to my table.

What a wimp.

I rolled my eyes and stood up, walking towards the sink in the corner. I carefully untied my paint-stained apron and laid it on the chair beside me. I heard shuffling behind me as I washed the towel in the sink.

Someone coughed.

“Uh, Jessica…”

My eyes snapped wide and I whipped around to be met with that annoying dark girl, releasing my grip on the rag.

Did she just say Jessica?!

“Who told you my name?!” I exclaimed angrily, my light brown hair sticking onto my face.

I was furious.

Ever since this girl decided to visit the children’s room daily, she had only constantly bothered me and the kids, getting in the way of my job. She seems to always want to so call ‘help’ me with the things I do around here but every time, she only causes trouble and distracts the kids from their peaceful life, or should I say specifically, my peaceful life. This ticked me off immensely and I had stopped wearing my name tag on my clothes, in caution that if she learns my name, the girl will only become braver and start talking to me comfortably.

I wasn’t going to let that happen.

I’d like to stay superior in power, thank you.

She yelped in fright and jumped back. She brought out a hand and waved it at me. “I-I’m sorry! Nobody told me but Hyoyeon kinda let it slip so…” She stepped back a little bit.

I growled, the aura around me instantly turning cold. How could that Hyoyeon been so careless to give out names to a stranger! I made a mental note to have a nice chat with Hyoyeon later…

“Well you have no right to call me that.” I stomped over to her, icily staring up at her when I became face to chest with her…

Curse her freaky tallness.

I jabbed a finger at her. “Don’t you ever call me by my first name again.” She gulped and I let myself smirk slightly before it faltered.

She seemed intimated but she wasn’t scared enough.

I narrowed my eyes at her and she stared into my eyes without fear but instead, slight curiosity and amusement. She raised both of her hands in defence.

“Okay okay!” She said, looking down at me. “I won’t.”

I stepped back in a huff and crossed my arms across my chest.

“Good.”

She smiled and let her arms fall.

I took this time to study her. I’ve met her plenty of times before but at that time, I was too occupied with getting rid of her that I never took notice of her appearance.

My eyes ran over her slim body, taking in each detail I could see without looking too closely.

Her skin was dark and it blended quite nicely with her black hair locks that fell past her shoulders. Her clothes today was slightly tight and instead of those sweats I usual see her in when she barges in the room, today she was wearing a pair of shorts that showed off her tones legs. Her shirt was skin-tight, showing off her elegant yet built figure and if I looked closely, I could see the outline of her abs…

I heard her chuckle and I immediately snapped my head up to face her. She must’ve caught me staring at her body.

I saw her smirk and I already knew what was coming.

“You like what you see?” She said cheekily with a stupid grin plastered on her face. She immediately dropped the grin when she saw my furious face.

I glared at her and she shivered.

“Sorry.” She muttered, playing with her fingers.

We stood in front of each other in silence and I found myself growing impatient. What did she want from me? Did she just come here to bother me even after working hours? I started to feel myself heat up in anger. She better have a good reason for being her or else she won’t be walking straight for the next few days.

“Why are you here?” I asked, irritation showing clearly in my voice.

She stayed silent.

That’s it.

I am going to blow.

“Look,” I started, “I’ll give you three seconds to get out of my sight before I’ll make sure you won’t be able to see anything for the nex-“

“I’m Yuri!”

The girl suddenly blurted out.

“Huh?!”

I was momentarily confused about her sudden outburst and as I was about to scream for her to get out, she started to talk, cutting me off.

“Uh, my name is Yuri! Kwon Yuri.” The girl who introduced herself as Yuri motioned to herself, writing out her name in thin air. “I live here! Right here in the Madhouse,” She pointed to the ground, “I was born here and I’ve been a permanent patient here! Well, though, I’m not exactly a patient since I have no problems but I still live here…” She ranted on and on and all I could do was stare at her wide-eyed and listen to her bewildered.

“-And I really like Dr. Sooyoung’s humor, even though she’s really loud sometimes and it’s really funny when Sunny scolds her about it and-“

My jaw dropped ever so slightly when she started to walk around in quick paces.

What in the world was wrong with this Yuri girl?! She stays anonymous during all those times she invites herself into the playroom, even though she knows she unwelcomed and unwanted and then suddenly, she shows up again after work hours and starts telling me a bunch of random things?

Oh good lord, I think I’m going to skip blowing up and just fast forward to ‘Hell Sica’.

“And I think you’re really pretty!”

Yuri was breathing hard by the time she’s down with her long rant.

My face was twisted into an unknown expression and I watched Yuri as she puts her hands on her bent knees, panting desperately for air. My head was swirling from all of Yuri’s words and I could get my head straight.

Yuri’s face was flushed pink and I felt my blood rush up to my freezing face when she looked up, her dark orbs piercing into mine. The feeling was almost comforting.

Then, I finally comprehended what she said.

“P-Pretty?” I stuttered, my walls faltering for a moment.

Oh no.

This wasn’t good.

Yuri took in a deep breath.

“Hi Jessica.”



I was leaning my back against the wall as Sooyoung poured me a cup of ice coffee for me. She handed the cup to me, which I gladly accepted. Sooyoung woild be the one who would know when I desperately needed a cold drink. She walked over to her seat, her white coat swaying behind her.

“So,” She said, taking a sip of her steaming coffee, “That Kwon Yuri keeps bothering you huh?” She leaned her head on her palm, eyeing me closely.

I almost did a spit take when I heard the name “Yuri” being mentioned. As I knocked myself on the chest as I choked, Sooyoung looked at me weirdly.

“Uh, Sica, are you okay?” She asked warily. She took a step backwards when I shot her a short glare. She shrugged her shoulders and reached for a doughnut from a box in the middle of the table in front of us.

“Okay then, I’m guessing you’re just fine.” She said as she chewed.

I took a sip from my cup to cool my burning throat.

Sooyoung was one of the first people here in the Madhouse that I became friendly with when I was first given the job as a caretaker. Yes, at first, I thought she was obnoxious to be around with and most of the time, the volume of her voice was cranked too loudly but soon, I had become use to her ways and from then, we were actually considered “friends” in my book. I guess I had took a liking towards her since she didn’t mind the iciness around me.

I shook my head as I watched her devour the snacks on the table in one go.

I didn’t know such a person like her could become a doctor.

But then again, she was a doctor at the freaking Madhouse. She was bound to be wack in the head somewhere...

Or maybe wack in would be more appropriate.

“Oh Sica! You’re here!” Sunny’s happy voice bounced off the walls and she shut the door to the employee’s room behind her. She was carrying a jar with something floating in it.

“Uh, Sunny…What is that?” I pointed to the jar.

She looked at where I was motioning at. “Oh this?” She lifted the jar, the thing inside of it moving sluggishly inside of it. “I’m not really sure. One of the patients threw it up and I brought it over here for Sooyoung to examine.”

Sooyoung’s ears perked up at the sound of her name. “Mhmm?” She hummed, pieces of food stuck all over her face.

I made a face of disgust.

“Wipe your face.” I said blankly.

She ignored me and stood up, walking towards Sunny. Sunny was staring at Sooyoung knowingly and Sooyoung pouted and wiped around using her lab coat’s sleeve.

“Good.” Sunny nodded, satisfied and she put the jar down on the table. The short girl outstretched her arms and Sooyoung took her into an embrace.

I chewed the doughnut I held slowly and watched the couple mutter sweet little things to each other.

“Mhm, how was your day?” Sooyoung mumbled into Sunny’s matted hair that usually was covered by a nurse hat.

Sunny giggled.

“It just started you idiot.”

She poked Sooyoung lightly on her cheek. Sooyoung just grinned. “Tell me.” She whispered, encouraging Sunny.

“Tiring.” Sunny finally sighed. “Taeyeon was being stubborn again and wouldn’t eat. I really wish Tiffany visited today, everything would be so much easier.”

I saw Sunny raise her head off of Sooyoung’s shoulders and look right into the taller girl’s eyes expectantly. “You need to tell her to eat more, you know. You’re her doctor and it’s your job to keep her health up.”

Sooyoung nodded lightly. “I know and I'll tell her on her next appointment, but Taeyeon is wise.” Her hand came up to touch Sunny’s cheek. She caressed it softly. “She wouldn’t starve herself.”

Sunny melted into the hug and the couple just stood silently in the middle of the room, not caring for anything around them. Their voices became quiet but I could still hear the short whispers from them.

I looked away from them, respecting their privacy and I put my cup down. I’ve already finished my food and it was about time for me to get back to work.

I glanced at the clock.

9:34am

I sighed heavily and got up from the wall.

“You going now?”

Sooyoung looked at me slyly, her head still laying on Sunny’s. She raised a brow and mouthed. “You want me to come with you?”

I shook my head and motioned to the tired nurse that was wrapped around Sooyoung.

“Naah, its fine.” I mouthed back. “Spend some time with Sunny.”

I was met with an understanding look and a bright smile and I opened the door carefully. I walked out and shut the door gently behind me before making my way down the main lobby of the Madhouse.

I might be cold and most of the time, very cruel to others around me but even I couldn’t ignore the obvious love and affections that Sunny and Sooyoung had for each other. I never did ask them when they got together but they were like an old married couple. Sooyoung did plenty of dumb stuff that Sunny scolded her for and they argued every other day due to stress, but at the end of the day, they held each other like if they let go, the world would come tumbling down on them.

I felt my lips tug into a tight smile.

What they had for each other was precious and it took time and patience for such a relationship to grow. I didn’t have time and especially not the patience to let a love for someone grow like that.

All my past relationships, that never lasted long, had all ended because one factor.

That one factor was that my partner and I would develop too quickly, too seriously and we would rush the relationship to the finish line before anything even started. I couldn’t even remember any memories from those flings. It was all a quick blur that usually just lasted a month, if we were lucky, the most two.

I reached into my front pocket of my yellow apron and took out the key to the playroom, unlocking the door. I let myself drag my feet inside and throw the key onto my desk that was placed sided the large window that was right of the sink.

I pulled out my chair and slumped into it, my chin on my hands.

My desk was a mess.

Piles of coloring paper were stacked in the middle and pencils and markers that I threw on it were scattered everywhere on the surface. Splatters of paint were present on the papers and I felt myself exhale deeply from my nose.

My eyes ran over the table and they soon landed on a few unopened envelopes that were neatly placed on the edge of the desk, unlike the rest of the papers.

I reached for them and grabbed the top letter. I opened it unceremoniously and threw the outer paper into the pull tin bin beside the table. It just fell to the floor since the trash was already filled with a bunch of junk that I never bothered to empty.

I read the letter.

April 2, 2012

U never decided to call back jessica. Was our relationship actually over? U weren’t just jking about it? Look, baby, I know I drank a bit 2 much that nite and I know it hurts u every time I came home like that but u didn’t have to pack your bags and leave like that. U should’ve left a note or sumthing. I thought u were going to brb and I was worried sik. You know me and how much I care 4 u. I’m not chill when I’m worried. I love u and I know u love me 2 so jst come bac-

I stopped reading and crushed up the letter.

Such lies he spewed.

They all did it.

It was obvious that the relationship was fading already after three weeks and we both knew it was going to end somehow. Yet he acted like he cared for me and wanted to keep me when I already knew every time he went out, he wasn’t just ‘busy working’, he was busy working on doing another girl.

And after two months, he finally decided to throw a bunch of crap onto a piece a paper and send it. He didn't even have the common sense to write the letter with proper english.

I felt frustration rise in me and I let out a scream, throwing the paper at the wall. I grabbed the next letter and tore it open.

June 5, 2012

Jung Jessica, your rent has been overdue for two weeks now. We would like to inform you that if you don’t pay, we’ll have to-

Tears weld up in my eyes and I furiously wiped them. I tossed the letter in the bin and the last letter too because I knew it was only another warning for the overdue rent.

Sniffles escaped me and I tried to stop myself from making any sound. The children will be here soon and I didn’t want them seeing me like this.

As I wiped my eyes, through the blur of tears, I could see a bright green piece of paper being placed in front of me. I raised my head from the table and I could see the outline of a familiar face.

“What do you want?” I asked coldly, turning my head away from Yuri to prevent her from seeing my tear-stained cheeks. I faced the window.

From the corner of my eye, I saw her bite her lip and move the green letter closer to me.

“Read it.”

I turned back to her and squinted at the green paper.

“Why?” I pushed back the letter from my face. “If it’s another bill then I’m already informed about tha-“

“No, it’s not.” Yuri cut me off and smiled at me. “Just read it.”

I shook my head and glared at her.

“Why are you even here?” I croaked, my throat still locked from crying. She wasn’t even allowed in here.

She looked at me warmly and brought the envelope back up in front of my face. I growled and pushed it away forcefully. “Stop!”

She just kept grinning and shoved the paper in my face.

I wasn’t in a good mood to ‘play’ with her right now and I wasn’t going to take any games from her. “Get out!” I yelled, smacking her hand.

She must’ve finally noticed my bad mood and she nodded. Yuri retreated out of the room, not before placing the green letter on my desk carefully and looking at me with those dark, warm orbs. She kept her gaze on me before she turned her head and made her way out.

Just when she was about to exit, she paused, but didn’t turn around.

“You should read it.” She said.

I narrowed my eyes at her back and she disappeared.

“Who does she think she is?!” I muttered angrily under my breath as I reached for the letter. I took it tightly in my hands, crushing it slightly and I moved my arm to aim it in the trash beside me.

I suddenly stopped.

Yuri seemed so determined to give me this letter and hadn’t left without a fight.

I looked down at the letter.

What if this was important?

I couldn't afford another mistake in my life.

I slowly brought my arm back up and dropped the green paper in front me. I stared at it for a few minutes before opening it carefully, afraid it would rip.

It was a full sheet of paper but there was only one sentence written on it, right in the middle.

My eyes widened.

I think you’re really pretty so don’t cry.

I let my sight travel down to the end of the paper and there was the neatly kid-printed name that almost killed me today from choking.

-Kwon Yuri(:



 





Preview of Chapter 4:

"Ah! I'm so sorry, I thought this was room 305 of Seohyun... Carry on!"




 





Was that a least a bit satisifying for Yulsic? Urgh, I wanted to put a bunch of sweet moments in this chapter but I needed to keep them developing slow...Soosun has so sweet weren't they? Too bad I have a few things up my sleeves...Mwahaha > :D