Beds to Sleep On

The Mask of Sanity:

Sadly, not only was I late with the update but I was only able to complete 15 pages on word. I didn't want to keep you guys waiting but I hope you guys enjoy this chapter, which is a bit more deeper than the others. From now on, more drama is coming our girls' ways. Sorry about the Yoonhyun in here; I don't think I wrote them well this time.

 











 

Chapter 7: Jessica & Seohyun

Beds to Sleep On









Staring at the piece of paper in front of me, I wondered if I was really awake. Dread was evident on my face and even though I usually kept everything inside, I knew I couldn’t hold this in. I looked back up to him.

“Are you serious?”

He solemnly nodded, bringing his hand down to push the paper closer to me. I shook my head, leaning back in the chair. I couldn’t digest much. This had happened so suddenly, and even if I was to deserve this, I just wished God didn’t have to make me suffer so much. I didn’t have anywhere to stay anymore. No more ‘home’ to even call home and I was left empty handed to find another place of my own.

I ran a hand through my hand, feeling the dry ends tickle my skin against my fingers. I haven’t been taking care of myself as much.

“So please Miss. Jung, I need you to sign this and pack immediately. You’ve already passed your dead line.” He raised a brow at me.

“I know, I know.” I waved my hand in front of my face, closing my eyes in exhaustion. “Just…give me a moment alone to think.”

He seemed to get the idea and he stood up, moving around the desk to walk out the room. Once I heard the door shut, I opened my eyes to look back at the piece of paper; he had left a pen beside it, already prepared for me to sign.

I narrowed my eyes.

Getting up slowly, I stood on my feet, never removing my gaze from the papers in front of me.

That jackass, thinking I’ll fall for his pity, understanding act when he’s making it so obvious that he’s happy to receive double the amount of money from me once I moved out.

I inhaled deeply, relaxing myself before I grabbed my purse, slinging it over my shoulder before leaning back to grab the back of my heels. I slipped my right heal off, and brought it to my face.

This red, shiny heel…I never really liked it.

I picked up the pen and with one of strength, I broke it in half, causing the ink to spill all over my hands and heel. Now, my shoe was dripping of black ink, sliding down over the crimson leather.

I smiled.

Setting my heel down onto the paper, I leaned down to smudge the remaining ink onto it, writing carefully so he’ll be able to read my last message to him.

Oh, he can have the apartment.

But can’t steal away my pride.

Suddenly, I heard a knock on the door and I jerked upwards, aware that he’ll be coming in soon.

“Miss Jung? Are you done?”

I brought my hand up to my mouth to stifle my giggle. This was too fun. I glanced at the paper, which was wedged under my heel, the ink from it outlining it clearly on the white sheet with my signature messily smudged on it.

With one shoe on and my hair flowing behind me, I quickly made my way behind the desk. Taking the bottom of the window, I tried to pull the window upwards, to make it open before he entered the room.

It didn’t budge and after a few more failed attempts, I grew frustrated.

Taking the chair beside me in my arms, I threw it into the window, causing glass to fly everywhere when it shattered.

I tossed the chair away and made my escape through the now broken window, feeling the thrilling feeling in my stomach go wild. My feet touched the concrete ground and a flash, I made my way to the metal stairs.

As I walked easily, almost barefooted, I turned back over my shoulder.

“Jerk.”

I said, sticking out my tongue in a merong.

The broken window didn’t matter; that man would have a perfectly fine time fixing it with the money he has.



It probably started young; when I was in my prime teen years attending high school. That was the time where I had gotten curious of the world around me and decided to experiment with little things. Getting a boyfriend, going to late night parties, or driving; I did it all and after years of never looking back on what I did, I finally did.

Then, I saw all the mistakes.

What I didn’t see before was how I became so hung up on social skills that I lost my grip on my studies, slipping down on the life meter. I kept on getting my heart broken by a bunch of jerks I dated, thinking he was the one. The late night parties hooked me up with some flirt and the next month or so, I’d find me cheating on me. Driving made me escape reality and I started to drive to bars, drinking all my young troubles away.

I’ve became someone who wouldn’t even know herself in the future; that sliver of rebellion still lived inside me.

Sure, I regretted it, but I never did try to learn from my mistakes.

This Jessica Jung, doesn’t run no matter how late she is.



“It almost makes me want to punch you every time you insist on helping me out with the children when you’re basically one of them.”

“I can’t help it. You seem like you have so much to take care of.”

“And I do. It’s my job.”

“Bu-“

“No buts”

I cut her off, already irritated at the girl.

It was nine in the morning and I had a half an hour before I had to report to the playroom where another dozen of children will need to eat, play, sleep, and learn. To kill time, I took a detour to the infirmary where that Kwon Yuri slept helplessly with a zombie wrap around her head.

I admit, when I saw her at first, guilt flooded me.

If I was at least a bit softer and hadn’t made her carry so much, she probably wouldn’t be in such a mess. But then again, it was that annoying peppy Tiffany who had decided to yell in that loud voice of her which could probably compete against Sooyoung’s. I never had actual contact with her but knowing that we were both American, it made me wonder how we became so different.

She pouted at me with wide eyes and I rolled my eyes.

“What? You need something.”

Yuri seemed to recoil from my words. She chuckled tightly at me.

“I don’t understand why you have to be so cold towards me?”

I clenched my fist together, feeling rage.

“So I’m not being nice by visiting you everyday ever since you go hurt!?”

I froze.

My chest was heaving from the sudden outburst and when I finally realized what I had said, panic rose in me. I’ve revealed my feelings and even though it was only for one moment, it was too much for me to handle. I wasn’t going to open up here.

I stood up in my chair, grabbing my bag with shaking hands as I turned to leave the room without a word. When I pushed through my chair, causing screeching, I felt fingers wrap around my wrist tightly, pulling me back. I didn’t turn back.

“Don’t go…” I heard Yuri’s voice mourn. “I’m sorry; I didn’t mean it like that.”

It hurt really; when people misunderstood me because of my icy appearance. Maybe I deserved to be judged, but still, I didn’t want to become someone I wasn’t. That’s why Yuri was so interesting to me. She who didn’t mind my glares and she who didn’t curse at me for being rude. Yuri didn’t seem to have anything against me.

I…felt normal for once; not some demon that everyone avoided.

I shrugged her off and walked towards the door.

“Jessica…”

I closed the door on her, making my way to the playroom.

It wouldn’t hurt to be early for once.



Sooyoung threw her cup down, the mug shattering into pieces as she yelled at me.

“Seriously Jessica?! You lost your house?” She waved her hands around. “Why didn’t you tell me anything?!” She was fuming mad, her face growing red with every attempt of smacking some sense into me.

I flinched back with a squeak, frightened at her sudden hostile attitude.

“I’m sorry! I needed to take care of this by myself…You already had too much to worry about.” I stared wide eyed as Sooyoung shoved her hand into her hair, gripping her locks while she tried to calm herself down.

I could spot her deep bags under her eyes; the purple bags could compete against my own and it was worrying me. Sooyoung always took care of her health. It didn’t seem right to see such a temper and negative aura seep out of the taller.

I really hoped she wasn’t stressing herself.

Sooyoung’s back made contact with the wall and she exhaled, her shoulders slumping.

“Sorry,” She said, her eyes closed, “I’m just a bit tired.”

I nodded, even though I was aware she couldn’t see. I didn’t really have any words at the moment.

Sooyoung sighed.

“Where are you staying?”

She asked softly, her voice barely a whisper.

I bit my lip.

“I spent the night in the playroom.”

She didn’t react. Instead she snapped her eyes open and turned to me. She studied me closely.

“Do you need a place to stay?”

Her words were soft, almost begging me to say something that wasn’t as stupid as I’ve been saying.

I got the idea where she was going towards this.

“Give it up Sooyoung…please.” I replied, looking down at the ground.

Even when I’m not looking at her, I could sense the tension around Sooyoung.

“It was just a fling, an accident.” I continued, the air around us thickening.

“I know. It didn’t mean anything Sica.” Sooyoung was making her way towards her. “Let's forget it Sica. I only love Sunny. That kiss between us…it was a mistake.” She was reassuring herself.

I brought my head up and our faces were merely inches apart.

“Sooyoung…” I whispered, “Did you have feelings for me at one point, even though you were still with Sunny?” My eyes bored into hers and she was confused, it was showing in her eyes.

I remembered the kiss so clearly. Sooyoung’s soft lips suddenly on mine when she found me broken beside the street after another break up; it felt so warm, but it was wrong. Maybe that’s why Sooyoung and I could communicate so easily. It’s because we had a connection, but it was weak. I don't think we could survive in a relationship with each other.

I saw her eye twitch before she answered.

“Yeah. I did. That’s why you’re so important to me.”

She was so truthful it hurts. As a loyal churchgoer, I knew she couldn’t lie.

I opened my mouth to say something but she cut me off.

“But,” She backed away from me, “I love Sunny. I know that now.”

Sooyoung had a faraway look in her eyes and it was like she was feeling bittersweet.

“It seems like even if I wanted to…I can’t leave her.” Sooyoung trailed off.

As I gazed at Sooyoung’s emotionless face, I could sense something was bothering her, lingering right behind her back but Sooyoung just couldn’t shake it off. Even as someone like me who was close to her, Sooyoung was every thoughtful, so thoughtful that she often acted like nothing really irked her. If she was mad, she would express it and then forget. This time, I just didn’t know what she’ll do.

“So Jessica,” Sooyoung snapped out of her trance and offered me a tight smile. “Do you need a place to stay?” She asked again.

I returned a small smile of my own and nodded stiffly, still ashamed of my carelessness.

Sooyoung cupped her chin in thought. She snapped her fingers once she got an idea.

“Okay, then I’ll set you up a room here at the Madhouse.”

I shot up from my chair.

“Really?” I asked, my chest filling up with hope.

Sooyoung grinned at me and gave me a thumbs up.

“I hope you don’t mind rooming with Yuri though.”

At that moment, my mind went blank and it felt like my mind had deflated.



Yoona threw herself on my matteress at the foot of my bed, stretching her long body across the covers I made this morning. She rolled around, messing the bed sheets up as she whined into the fabric.

“I’m so tired! I can’t believe I’m still alive after all of those chores.” Yoona’s doe eyes looked up at me. “And I’m only an assistant nurse!” She exclaimed, exasperated as she threw her arms up before slumping down again.

I peeked at her passed my book and sighed. I grabbed my pen.

“But you shouldn’t complain. You wanted this job right?”

Yoona almost passed out when I showed her my message.

“You’re supposed to comfort me Seohyun-ah!”

Yoona pouted up at me.

“You’re so blunt.”

I rolled my eyes at her, my lips pursing into a tight line. Shaking my head, I exhaled deeply through my nose, slightly angry at her statement.

“Yoona-unnie, if you’re that tired then just quit.”

I watched Yoona’s expression transform, falling open to gape at me. She stared up at me, slightly hurt.

“Oh come on Seohyun. Cut me some slack…I’m doing this for you.”

I furrowed my eyebrows together, confused at her statement. What did she mean she was doing this for me?

“What?”

Yoona blinked twice, biting her lip.

“Seohyun, to be honest,” Yoona rubbed her neck nervously. “I took this job because of you.”

I didn’t know to react. I didn’t really understand why she would take such a tiring job for someone like me. I started to feel panic. Don’t tell me she was trying to hurt me…Yoona wasn’t like that.

I unconsciously moved back.

Yoona wasn’t like them; she promised me she wasn't like her friends.

She looked at me, alarmed.

“Seohyun? What’s wrong?” Yoona asked worryingly, her hand coming up to my shoulder.

I flinched back and her hand retreated, almost immediately.

I didn’t say anything, I couldn’t. Yoona was staring at me, searching my eyes with her own dark ones before suddenly; she got up and started to walk to the table in the corner.

I watched her in caution.

She was busy opening the CD she gave me two weeks ago, her face stoned in concentration as she placed the disk inside the CD player, pressing play.

A few seconds passed us by before a soft melody started to fill the room, instantly relaxing me. I found myself melting against the covers, my eyes losing focus. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Yoona smile warmly, making her way back towards me carefully.

“Do you feel better?”

She whispered, sitting on the edge of my bed.

I nodded and gave a loud sigh. I acted too harshly towards Yoona.

Yoona chuckled. She thought for a second.

“It’s a fact that Keroro fought for love, no matter what.”

I tilted my head at her. I made a questioning noise.

“Well,” She rubbed her neck again, something she did when she was nervous, I noticed. “I was just stating that out.” Yoona’s cheeks were turning red and she glanced at me quickly. “You know, Keroro and love and all.” She stuttered over her words, her ears becoming pink.

Even though I didn’t know why she was acting such a way, I found this Yoona cute.

I smiled and nodded.

I didn’t feel like saying anything right now, thinking it’ll disturb the peaceful air around us. The pen and notebook lay beside me, untouched and Yoona made herself comfortable at the foot of my bed, closing her eyes to appreciate the tune coming out of the disk.

I didn’t even remember when both of us had fallen asleep.



When I was little, I was a quiet child; but I wasn’t as quiet as I was now.

Being a perfect daughter, I studied hard, listened to my parents well, and never misbehaved. I was the perfect rolemodel my parent’s friends said when they met me and a part of me knew it. I had a goal…but was it a goal I wanted?

Even now, I was still questioning myself.

But I was so happy back then.

All of that changed when my mother and father started to argue.

Every night after they were sure I was in bed, I could hear sounds in the kitchen. Our house walls weren’t so thick, I could hear their muffled words, so hurtful that I could hear their tears through the walls. A shatter of a vase that by morning, I could come downstairs to see everything cleaned up; a new vase replacing the broken one.

I cried, knowing they were the two people I thought loved each other no matter what.

We were the perfect family.

Yet my mother decided to bring another into the family. I was supposed to have a baby brother, by now he should’ve been about twelve, being the late-born he is. Although, he never even got to see the world because he was never born.

My parents told me he was a miscarriage; died before he could’ve even develop properly.

After ten years, I felt like it wasn’t that though.

He was aborted to protect our ‘perfect family’.

Ever since then, I found my mouth losing their words, every year my words becoming shorter, softer, lessening.

I looked at the plush doll besides me, tears welding up when I saw a name stitched messily, almost childlike on his scarf.

This Keroro was supposed to be his.

I turned around and pulled the covers up around me, stiffening when I felt Yoona shift slightly below. Keroro's voice was echoing in the room as he sang carelessly. I closed my eyes.

My little brother couldn’t even be saved by my hero.



Yuri was a very different kind of person.

I didn’t know how to describe it, but sometimes, she would knock on my door to ask me for some colorful paper that apparently, only I have. I didn’t question her, or even find any suspicion towards her. She seemed so innocent, carelessly skipping into my room and asking me for paper politely.

She always talks to me too. I think she has the idea that I can’t talk because even when she asks me a question, she doesn’t bother to wait for an answer and continues talking. I felt relieved. Most of her questions didn’t make sense and if I were to answer, I think I would’ve lost my mind by now.

But, maybe her questions made sense to Yuri and nobody else. She has a charm and I wonder if that charm has ever charmed anyone yet. If I wasn’t already under someone else’s spell, I might’ve become attached to the girl. Yuri who reminded me of Yoona, face and personality was oh so different from Yoona too. I felt like I’ve been meeting a lot people nowadays.

Yuri enters my room loudly and Yuri leaves the room loudly. She was a constant, I concluded. I knew she was a good person just by the way she held herself up.

She was a very different kind of person and out of all the colors I have for her, she always chooses green.

It made me wonder why she ever needs it.



Yuri grabbed the two last boxes out of my arms, setting them on the ground beside a small twin bed beside the wall.The sun as setting by now and Yuri and I haven’t said a single word to each other. I was still angry at her, for saying something so careless.

Throughout the whole moving process, I could feel Yuri’s intense stare on my back, her eyes boring into me while I fixed my new home as her roommate.

As I straightened a photo frame, Yuri finally talked.

“Sica, please look at me.”

I ignored her and continued to make my bed with my own covers, rolling my eyes at her plead.

I heard Yuri sigh and try again.

“Sic-“

“Shut up.”

I retorted harshly, not in the mood to talk at all.

Suddenly, there were heavy footsteps and I felt hands on my shoulders. I was forced down onto the bed. I yelped and looked up at Yuri, who was looking at me deeply, her eyes dark and heavy.

I struggled against her grip.

Yuri’s strength was no joke and I bucked weakly, shouting.

“Let go!”

Yuri only tightened her hold on me and I was helplessly pinned to the half-made bed.

“Jessica…” Yuri breathed down onto my face, her hot breath hitting my cheeks. “Tell me what’s wrong.” Yuri said softly, her words melting aginst my flushed skin.

She had seen through me.

I bit my lip in attempt holding my emotions in.

Why was Yuri suddenly acting like this? Just a few days ago she was teasing and joking around with me, being just so annoying, but now, she was acting serious for once. Did she have some sort of personality disorder? Yuri was just too unpredictable; it frustrates me.

I met her gaze in a glare.

“Babo. Learn to stay out of other people’s business or else you’ll get hurt too.” My voice cracked when she smiled gently at me.

I felt like crying everything out. How I was constantly played and how I couldn’t even support myself without the help of others; and even then they’ll stop trying to help me because I’m useless, a worthless mite.

It was like Yuri read my mind because her eyes softened down at me, her warm hand coming up to cup my face.

“But you’re worth it. I don’t mind being hurt because of someone like you. I rather get hurt than have you hurt everyday.”

Tears welded up in my eyes and I turned my head to the side to hide them from her. She was just trying to swoon me with her words, just like the other men.

“You don’t deserve it.”

I was biting hard on my lip, so hard that I could taste the distinct flavour of blood. It was tangy, bitter just like my heart. My body was racking with small trembles as I tried my hardest to keep my sobs in.

Yuri stayed with me the whole night as I cried, her hand rubbing my cheek and back in comfort.

When I finally calmed myself down, Yuri whispered something in my ear, her voice flowing into my head. But I couldn’t make out her words.

I felt hot liquid slide down my cheek and Yuri’s body leave my side, the bed dipping upwards from her emptiness. I heard a door close hut and I curled up, my blankets wrapped all around my cold body.

I was alone again.


 




Preview of Chapter 8:

Tiffany was holding my hand tight as we both watched our past friend's body get burried under piles of dirt. When her burrial was almost complete, I couldn't look at it anymore and I turned around, feeling pricks of water stab me in my back. We were the only ones without a umbrella on this gloomy day and because of that, even though it was hurting us, Tiffany and I felt like we were being cleansed. My hands were clenching the black dress I was forced into and my hair stuck onto my neck, the rain pouring down on us drenching our clothes to our skin. We probably looked pathetic.

"You're crying Taeyeon."

 





Disappointing chapter if you ask me. I'm sorry for the short scenes and the jumping all around the place but it was kinda necessary to put in alot of monologue and dialogue in thsi chapter. Please comment below and I'm thinking Taeyeon's chapter will be much easier to write.