K-Drama for Idiots

The Mask of Sanity:

I'm so sorry for the slightly late update but I got caught up in a few things...But! I'm back and I'm so grateful to you guys who waited and commented. I would also like the welcome the new readers! :D
Todays chapter will consist of TWO point of views; Sooyoung and Yuri.

I hope yuou guys enjoy the chapter and leave a comment below. I also have my replies below at the end of the post for you guys.


 
















 

Chapter 5: Sooyoung & Yuri

K-Drama for Idiots







I never thought I would be one to teach another person about responsibilities or lecture them on how a job isn’t just fun and games; it was the building block of life that financed your life. So, maybe that’s why, when this young girl that looked no older than eighteen, suddenly announced to me that she wanted to work in the Madhouse, the first thing that had ran through my mind was,

“Are you kidding kid?!”

I wasn’t exactly mindful of the volume of my voice and it had echoed across the whole area of the lobby. I couldn’t help it if this girl had just asked me the impossible. She must’ve been drunk or something. Being a doctor, I immediately assumed this girl was one of the patients.

“I’m serious! I want a job here!” She exclaimed, waving her hands around.

I seriously doubted her.

I shook my head and turned to the nearest nurse beside me. I motioned her over, “I’m sorry but could you bring this patient back into her ro-“

The girl glared at me and frowned. “I’m not a patient!”

I looked at her and then back at the nurse who was staring confusingly at the interaction between us two. I raised a brow at the nurse and she quickly started to flip the sheets on her clipboard she carried. She glanced back up at the fuming girl in front of me and shook her head.

“I’m sorry Dr. Sooyoung but she’s not on my list…”

I sighed heavily.

That was what I was afraid of.

I dismissed her with a wave of my hand and turned back to the girl.

“Your name?”

I asked plainly. I didn’t know why but after seeing this girl, suddenly my adult instinct had kicked in, maturing my speech slightly and I carried myself a bit taller than her, even though the obvious height between us was big. This girl made me feel like I was older than I seemed and usually people would like that authority of power.

I felt disgusted by dominance.

I was only twenty two for god-sake!

“Im Yoona.”

I frowned.

“Last name too please?”

She looked at me confusingly.

“Im Yoona.”

“Please, say your last name to.”

“IM Yoona.”

She said in frustration.

I laughed. “Okay, I know that you’re Yoona. But I need to verify your last name.” Oh, kids these days, so immature. I rolled my eyes amusingly.

She looked irritated at me when took in a deep breath through her nose. “Dr., my name is Im Yoona.” She smirked a bit when she saw me falter.

“Oh.” I said dumbly. Well this was humiliating.

She nodded at me with a knowing look.

“I really want a job here. I could help out! I do pretty much everything.” Yoona flashed me a grinned and started to imitate various jobs.

“I can clean,” She started to act like she was mopping the floor with an invisible mop and her right hand was extended to wipe nonexistent tables.

“I can nurse too!” She exclaimed, switching to nurse mode as she started to act seriously. “Dr…I’m afraid to say that the patient has been put under lockdown and we’ll be putting him to sleep soon for surgery. His diagnostic has finally kicked in and it’s killing him.”

Yoona shook her head dramatically and I face palmed.

If she actually got a job here she would fit in perfectly. She and Yuri could be the perfect match as idiots.

“Okaaay,” I said, stopping her in the middle of her drama monologue. “Getting a job here is a fine,” I made my fingers into an ‘o’. “But Yoona, you look like you haven’t even graduated college yet.” I shot her a suspicious look.

I was given my answer when she glanced away guiltily, biting her lip.

I sighed. I couldn’t hire someone who didn’t even have the decent education. Even though Yoona seemed determined and had the good will, this decision wouldn’t go well with the owner of the Madhouse. Being around patients, we needed employees who would know how to react when something unexpected happened.

I shook my head.

“I’m sorry Yoona but if you’re still in school, we can’t hire you.”

Even if we needed the workers.

I saw her shoulders slump but she faced me with a strong look in her eyes. I was impressed, to say the least.

“Then I’ll quit college!” She exclaimed, pumping her fist up into the air.

“Hell no!”

I knocked Yoona on her head.

“Aish, kids like you say too many stupid things, thinking it’s smart…” I paused before comprehending what she had actually said. “Hold up!” I pointed an unbelieving finger at her, “You’re in college?! You look eighteen!”

She flinched back but nodded.

“I’m twenty one for your information.”

Oh no.

This meant I had to take her into consideration.

I saw her gaze up at me in anticipation and I sighed. And she was just a year younger than me. I crossed my arms across my chest.

“So you said you’re interested in a job?



“Ow ow ow ow…”

I voiced my pain as I was dragged out of the playroom once again, but this time by the ear by Jessica. She was muttering some pretty inappropriate words as she was pulling me out and when I opened my mouth to state it, she growled and smacked me in my head hard.

“Shut up you idiot.”

She threw me out of the door and I landed face first onto the cold tile floor. I groaned. Even though I didn’t mind Jessica being the one to cause such events to happened, I would appreciate it a bit more if she lightened up on the punished.

I brought my face up to be met with icy eyes and I shivered.

“But I wasn’t even doing anything this time!” I yelled in my defence.

She seemed to be a bit taken back but she soon returned to her hard face and she crossed her arms across her chest.

Which looked pretty small.

“What are you looking at?!” I felt something hard hit me in the face and I glanced down to see a piece of pink chalk laying there in front of me.

“Yah!” I exclaimed, bring my hands up to my forehead.

Jessica snorted. “That’s what you deserve you ert.”

A kid ran up to her and clung onto her leg. I watched as her attitude suddenly changed and saw her smile peacefully at the kid, ushering her back into the room.

I was slightly jealous of that kid.

I frowned, my eyes glaring at the back of the retreating child.

“Aw man…” I muttered to myself. I sat flat on the ground, my long legs place in front of me as I pouted up to the caretaker. Jessica was even beautiful when she was angry and usually, that would be horribly frightening and ugly.

For example, one time, I accidentally broke one of Sunny’s favourite wine bottles. Yes, she smiled at me sweetly when she saw the scene but for the next few days, I was stuck cleaning the eggs off the front windows of the building, Sunny glaring at me with a smile as she tempted me with sweets and snacks.

One word to describe Sunny when she was mad; ugly monster.

I pursed my lips in thought as I secretly stared at Jessica, who had broken her death glare with me to talk to another little child.

Dr. Hyoyeon had promised me that she would help me in my attempts to capture Jessica’s heart and before I entered the playroom, only to be thrown out, I had stopped by at Hyoyeon’s office.

She actually had some pretty helpful talks. That’s probably why she’s a therapist.


“So what do I do?” I asked, watching Hyoyeon carefully as she worked at her desk. Her pencil worked back and forth and she was flipping through multiple sheets of paper.

I frowned.

Did she ever get tired of looking at a bunch of words? I don’t think I could ever understand her work but then again, I was guessing this is the career she enjoyed.

Hyoyeon sighed and paused in her writing. She looked up at me, a pair of glasses on her face. “Yuri...you're taking about Jessica right?”

I nodded.

“Well,” She took off her glasses and placed them beside her. “You could always get to know her first. You know, start it cool by being friends.”

I stared at Hyoyeon in disbelief. “Are you kidding me?” I said loudly, leaning up from the couch. “She won’t even let me three feet near her!”

I couldn’t even talk to Jessica without her glaring at me and throwing insults at me. Because of her, we probably couldn’t even have a civilized conversation. It’ll always end up in an ear pinching experience.

Hyoyeon tapped her chin, nodding.

“That is true but how about you stop being so annoying to her then?” She looked at me pointedly. “She probably dislikes you because you’re always bothering her.”

I gasped.

“I’m not annoying! And how is that bothering? I’m just trying to talk to her and get to know her.”

“You could’ve been a little less enthusiastic about it.”

“But I wanted to help!”

“Obviously she doesn’t want help.”

I frowned deeply and sank back into the couch. Jessica was hard to approach so I thought if I acted like I wanted to help her in her work, she would naturally accept it and we’ll soon get closer. I’m guessing that plan backfired and now, she thinks I’m some punk trying to mess with her.

I sighed, running a hand through my black locks.

Hyoyeon smiled sadly at me.

“You really want her, huh?”

I nodded solemnly

Hyoyeon shook her head with a slight chuckle and she got up from her table and made her way towards me.

“Why?” She simply asked when she stood in front of me.

I looked up to her.

When I first saw Jessica, I was looking through the window of the playroom. She was so hard working it pulled me in and I had to stare. She was multitasking, wiping down the tables with a kid in her arms as she pushed in the chairs with her foot. She even was reading a book to the kids at the same time.

When she turned towards me, I instantly felt something tug in me, me who was a fool to fall under her spell.

Jessica had this distinct charm about her that drew me in.

It made me want to know so much more about her.

“…It was her eyes…” I started, remembering the way they glimmered. “Her eyes drew me in somehow.” I sighed dreamingly, “They were so beautiful…but there was something else in them.” I couldn’t put my finger on it.

Hyoyeon nodded to show me she was listening.

“They were a determined pair, shining with pride but I saw sadness in them.” I smiled tightly. “I don’t think she was happy even though she was smiling. Is that crazy for me to think like that?”

I frowned to myself. I wasn’t good with explaining these kinds of things. The pressure of trying to get another to understand when it was obvious it was something only I can feel…I was stumbling over my own words.

Hyoyeon clicked her tongue.

“You know, Yuri, she was desperate for this job.” Hyoyeon took a seat beside me. “One day, three months ago, she had entered the Madhouse begging for a job. Seems like she was having some trouble in her life and she needed the money and job.”

Hyoyeon glanced at me.

“I don’t think she was happy either when we gave her the job, even though she smiled.”

I nodded absentmindly

Jessica had a pain in her life and when I met eyes with her, I felt like I needed to take away that burden. I don’t know if it was love at first sight but I cared.

I cared for her a lot.

I felt Hyoyeon pat me on the shoulder.

“I think,” She smiled at me, “You could make her really happy.”

I smiled bitterly.

“Really?”

She nodded.

“Ever since you forced yourself into her life, I’ve never seen her talk so much.” Hyoyeon laughed. “Even though she was screaming at you, I think you distracted her from whatever was going on in her life. So,” Hyoyeon got up and stretched. “I’ll send you down to Sunny and Sooyoung.”

I looked confusingly at Hyoyeon.

She started to scribble something down onto her notepad and she tore the paper out. She handed it to me.

“Sunny and Sooyoung are in a relationship. They’ll be much more help to you in romance, as much I wished I had the experience.”

I clutched the paper and Hyoyeon just grinned.

She winked at me.

“Go get your girl.”


“Jung-sshi!” I called out to Jessica.

She whipped around to meet me with a glare.

“Wha-?!”

“Did you read my letter?” I asked softly.

Jessica stiffened and turned her whole body to me. I could tell she felt uncomfortable with the question, even though it wasn’t a big deal. She swallowed slightly before facing away. She pulled on the bottom of her apron lightly.

“Yeah.”

She started to turn slightly red as she mumbled the short answer.

I smiled and leaned up to place my chin on my palms, my legs still laid out in front of me.

“I meant every word of it. I’m usually not so good with expressing myself in writing…”

Jessica bit her lip and turned back to me, a slight pink painted on her cheeks. It was barely noticeably but I could see it. She grabbed a rag from the front pocket of her purple apron and shyly offered it to me. I gazed at her as she mumbled lowly.

“I need help.”

Warmth swelled inside me and I beamed, getting up quickly. I took the rag and smiled sweetly at Jessica. She looked away, embarrassed.

“Do you have an extra apron?” I asked happily.

She nodded.

“Yeah.”

Jessica walked inside to the playroom. Once she was through the door, she stopped and glanced back at me. I swore I saw a small smile from her before she turned back ahead.

“Come in.”

I followed in quickly, skipping in joy.



Yoona was pulling on her collar nervously as I handed her a clipboard. Because of the lack of employees at the Madhouse, Yoona was accepted without any thought. I didn’t mind as much I thought I would’ve.

Im Yoona gave off a nice aura.

“This is the list of the patients you’ll be looking after.” I explained. “Since you’re new and unexperienced, I only assigned you a few patients.”

I saw Yoona nod and I continued, motioning to the pictures displayed on her clipboard.

“This is Kim Taeyeon, a close patient of mine.”

Yoona was scanning Taeyeon’s profile carefully. She looked up at me. “Sooyoung-unnie, so Kim Taeyeon is traumatized but she doesn’t acknowledge it?” Yoona pointed to the information.

I sighed heavily and nodded slowly.

Taeyeon was a bit different than my other patients and maybe that’s why I felt so close to her. I could talk freely to her and she would listen absently, putting in her two cents every now and then. She didn’t talk much about herself but that was only because she was closed off.

“Yes. That’s exactly why she’s here.” I struggled to explain. “She doesn’t know she unconsciously leaves her room in the middle of the night. She can’t remember anything when she’s in that state of mind.”

I saw Yoona furrow her eyes.

“Why?”

I tipped my head to the side.

“I think she needs an escape here and there. She has a bad case of sleepwalking but it’s for a reason. I think you should ask Fany for details.”

“Tippany-sshi?” Yoona pointed to a smaller picture of Tiffany on Taeyeon’s profile.

“Yeah. Fany isn’t a nurse here but she takes care of Taeyeon. She really cares her that shorty. They’re really close.”

I saw Yoona flushed red and I looked at her weirdly.

Why was she blushing?

I shrugged and flipped to the next page. Yoona’s eyes lightened up.

“And how about Seohyun?” She asked seriously.

“Almost mute. She also suffers from a small eating disorder if she’s not served the right food. She refuses to eat anything and it’s affecting her health.” I saw Yoona stiffen, her eyes worried. “We’re still trying to find out what dish she can eat.” I frowned. “So far, nothing.”

“I see…” Yoona trailed off. She flipped to the next page. “And Yuri is forever stuck in a child-like mind set?”

I laughed loudly.

“Oh that,” I said through chuckles, “I just put that in there as a joke. She’s not one of the patients. At first, I thought she was one but it’s just the way she acts sometimes makes her seem a little kookoo.” I turned my pointer finger around next to my head, imitating the ‘crazy’ motion.

Yoona grinned.

“Oh, that’s funn-“

“Sooyoung!”

Yoona was cut off when Sunny burst through the door panting. She looked at me, frightened.

“Sooyoung! Quick, Yuri is bleeding!” She exclaimed panicky.

I dropped my own clipboard and rushed to the door.

“What happened?!” I asked.

Sunny shook her head.

“No time to explain here. I’ll tell you on the way.” Sunny’s figure disappeared ran down the hallway, her nurse dress flying behind her. I followed quickly, yelling over my shoulder.

“Yoona! Stay there, I’ll be back soon!”

I started to sprint to catch up to my girlfriend.

“Sunny! What’s up?” I asked again, running down beside her.

“Yuri knocked her head against something sharp. I don’t know how but I heard a high pitched scream by the child’s room so I rushed there.” She panted, “I saw Yuri holding her head on the floor while Jessica was trying to call for help and get the children under control.”

Sunny was panting heavily, bending over to clutch her stomach. She doubled over in pain and I started to become worried for her. I looked over her carefully.

“Sunny, are you okay?”

She lifted her head, smiling tightly. She increased her running speed, looking ahead.

“Yeah. I’m okay.”

I shook my head in disbelief but left it be.

We arrived in the children’s hallway. Jessica was trying to keep the children away from the scene, making sure they didn’t see anything. Tiffany and Taeyeon stood not far behind her. The commotion was almost deafening with the nosy from the children and nearby passer-by’s of the nurses.

Jessica locked eyes with me. She was terrifed.

“Sooyoung!”

I ran towards the fallen body and kneeled down.

I felt my heart sink

Yuri was clutching her head, her face twisted in pain. I in a deep breath. I’ve never seen such an expression on Yuri before. I almost broke me when I saw Yuri, one of the most important people in my life, in pain like this.

I started to lift Yuri up.

“You’re going to be okay Yuri. You’re going to be okay.” I cooed in her ear as Sunny ran up to me with wrapping. I quickly wrapped it around her head and when I accidentally brushed her wound, Yuri howled in anguish, clenching her eyes shut tightly.

“It’s going to be fine…” I whispered as I lifted her up in my arms.

I motioned Sunny over.

“I need you to clean up the remaining blood on the floor.” I glanced back at the red stained floor. “I’ll bring Yuri into the infirmary. I need to check out her injury.” My eyes narrowed. “It looks bad.”

Sunny didn’t say anything. Instead, she called over a few nurses and retreated back to clean up.

I looked down into my arms.

Yuri had tears hanging off the edges of her eyes and I could tell she was trying to keep them in.

“It’s going to be fine Yuri.”



“She’s fine right?”

I looked up at Tiffany and I nodded, smiling slightly.

“Yeah. Luckily it wasn’t too deep…”

I lied through my teeth. The wound was deep, almost coming into contact with Yuri’s brain. A few hours of surgery was enough to stitch up Yuri’s head but I didn’t know if it did any damages to her. The only way I could find out was when she woke up and I was afraid for the worst.

Yuri might not be the same.

Tiffany bit her lip and looked at me guiltily.

“I’m so sorry. I didn’t mean to distract her.”

I shook my head.

“It’s not your fault.”

“But I should’ve known not to mess around with her when she’s carrying all of those supplies.” I could see Tiffany was on the verge of crying. “She lost balance when I called out to her and she tripped.”

I stood up from the chair beside of the bed that Yuri was sleeping on and hugged Tiffany lightly.

“Hey, it’s fine. It was an accident.”

Tiffany nodded slowly, tears spilling out of her eyes.

Someone suddenly clear their throat and I turned to see Taeyeon glaring at me. I smirked knowingly and let go of Tiffany.

“Taeyeon!” I said.

She was still glaring at me.

“Hi.”

Tiffany brightened up when she saw Taeyeon and she rushed toward Taeyeon, bringing her into a tight hug.

“Oh Taeyeon! I’m so sorry.”

Taeyeon shifted uncomfortably, pushing Tiffany back from her body.

“It’s fine. Yuri is okay now.” Taeyeon mumbled softly, patting Tiffany’s head awkwardly, the sudden skinship making her freeze in place.

I raised my brow.

When had Taeyeon become so reassuring?

I looked at the two.

Something had changed between those two.

I couldn’t put my finger on it but something changed, that’s for sure. Taeyeon looked a bit softer than before and the air around her had become lighter. She seemed less cold, patting Tiffany and the hardness on her face had disappeared.

I tapped my chin.

Taeny affect anyone?

I felt a familiar presence behind me and I turned around. Sunny smiled up at me proudly and I was quick to wrap my arms around her tiny figure. I lifted her up slightly, my eyes closed shut.

I was exhausted.

“What’s gotten into you Sooyoung” Sunny muttered in the crook of my neck.

I shook my head, sighing into her hair.

I had too much stress these days. I was getting desperate for another popping and that wouldn’t be good if I did it. I couldn’t risk getting addicted.

“Nothing Sunny-bunny…I’m just a bit tired from the long surgery.”

She gripped my lad coat tightly.

“Poor you. You did it all by yourself. Yuri will be really grateful” She said, mumbling.

She sounded just as tired as me and I broke the embrace, aware that we were now alone. Taeyeon and Tiffany must’ve left once they saw us. We were the only two in the room; excluding Yuri’s soundly sleeping body in the corner of the room on the infirmary bed.

I leaned back to look deeply into Sunny’s half-lidded eyes.

“…What’s wrong?” I asked, bringing up a hand to caress her cheek. She sighed and melted into my palm.

Sunny looked conflicted and her eyes gave away that something was bothering her. She’s been off for the past few days and at home, she would always seem like she was in some kind of pain. Sunny spent a lot of time in the bathroom nowadays but I never decided to ask her about it. I gave her space. I was aware she wanted some although now, I took the opportunity to finally ask.

“Sunny, what’s wrong baby?” I asked again, bringing up my other hand to cup her face so she could look me in the face.

Tears were welding up in her eyes and her bottom lip trembled.

I started to feel fear rise in me. Something was wrong.

“That’s just it S-Sooyoung.” She said, choking on a sob. I brought her closer to me, wiping away the tears streaming down her flushed cheeks. She held my hand with her tiny ones as she gazed at me, emotions flashing through her glassy orbs. I encouraged her to go on with her sentence with my eyes.

“B-Baby.” She slid both of our hands down her face and let it limply hang between us. Her nails dug into my sweaty palms and the room was filled with her quiet sobs. She looked up at me, one of her hands flat against the belly button of her stomach as she opened .

My eyes widened.

She was heartbreakingly beautiful.

“I think I’m pregnant.”



Maybe it was the way she had suddenly announced it or perhaps it was just the shock that had came right after it to stab me in the head. I left her there after she was done talking; stating we both had to get back to work soon, which was partly true. She was hesitant but I guess she decided it was best to give me time to think by myself and sort about my own thoughts.

She herself wasn't even sure if what was happening in her body was true or not; she thought it would be best to tell me first and then together, she'll take the test. She was thoughtful and I almost felt remorseful for blandly lying to her about work.

Because, in reality, in truth, I was trying to escape reality itself.

I found myself popping another one.



 




Preview of Chapter 6:



“…I want you to go to the funeral, Tae.”

“…”

“Taeyeon, please.”

“...Will you go with me…?”



 





And that's it for now! I know some of you are just like "What the heck..." But I have a perfectly good explaination to it. THIS STORY IS NOT CRACK! I have a planned out explaination regarding Sunny's condition.