Notes about You

The Mask of Sanity:

It's finally time for our maknaes to make an appearence! Yoonhyun!
I want to inform you guys that after the this chapter, the first four introduction chapters are finshed and we'll be focusing on the development of the couples. ^^ I can't wait!
Thank you so much for the amazing comments guys and keep them coming! (:

 
















 

Chapter 4: Yoona

Notes about You







The Madhouse was a building located right below the bridge where everyday at 11 o’clock am and 5 o’clock pm, the stationary train that carried imports and outports of supplies used to travel on. The outside of the Madhouse was blandly painted yellow and the parking lot in front of it was so poorly cared for, the white road paint that marked each individual parking space was fading off into black.

Sometimes, the neighbourly high school kids would drop by with a pack of eggs to throw at the large front windows the Madhouse had and spray paint the side’s rainbow colors.

Although I was pretty sure those actions were illegal, the next time I passed the building, the windows would be clean again but the sides of the building would still be imprinted with those high schoolers graffiti and I would spot the troublemakers hanging out in the corner again.

I always wonder why the owner of the Madhouse never pressed charges against those kids and just get them thrown into jail. It would save them the trouble of cleaning the windows caked with egg. They probably knew who was throwing eggs and spraying paint all over their building. I mean, they had a security camera just outside the entrance door.

As curious as I was, I couldn’t be going into other people’s business.

What they do was not my place to be sticking my nose in.

Well, I guess what I was saying made me a hypocrite since here I am, about to knock on one of the Madhouse’s patients door, someone that I barely knew.

Seo Juhyun was one of my classmates that went to the same college as me. I didn’t know why she was there though. The college we both attended was a community college filled with a bunch of junkies and half-assed studying students that didn’t really give a crap about school. I was probably one of them but I rather like to think that it was because I didn’t study well.

Seo Juhyun though, wasn’t like me or the others at college. She had excellent grades and maintained the highest average in the whole school each semester.

Seo Juhyun was like, perfect.

She was always seen in the library reading books of self-improvement but I didn’t think those books were paying off because the one imperfect thing about her was that she didn’t communicate with anyone.  At first, I thought she was actually a mute since she never bothered to open and instead just nodded or shook her head. When she really needed to talk, she would pull out her little keroro notebook and write her words down. I’ve always tried to imagine her voice.

She was so perfect that it seemed like she was imperfect in the head.

I think it was because of her social skills that just last Friday, her parents withdrew her from the college and she was put into the Madhouse, which supposably would help her deal with her problems and solve them.

News flew around really quickly in a good for nothing college.

I was never really interested in what the Madhouse did before. I thought they were just another place were the weird one’s go since they couldn’t fit in with the normal people. I’ve heard a lot of rumors about what happened in the Madhouse but they were pretty pathetic.

One was about a former military general that got removed from their position worked there looking after kids, training the kids harshly with their icy cold natural. Another rumor was about a doctor and a nurse hooking up together, even though they were both girls, and that they taught everyone there at the Madhouse about gayness.

Really twisted rumors.

I never really believed them but then again, I might need to be careful so I’ll take them in consideration.

My hands were sweaty and I cleared my thought slightly before knocking on the door. I got no reply.

I knocked again a bit louder than before.

Nothing.

I stood there confused.

Was Seohyun not in here?

I looked at my watch. It was only 12:30pm and the receptionist said that she should be in her room eating lunch right now. There was no reason Seohyun shouldn’t be in her room right now.

Unless the girl was going to the bathroom.

I decided to just open the door instead and I grabbed the knob in front of me, pushing it open. Blazing sunlight from a large window inside the room blinded me.

“Say aaahh Tae!”

A bright female voice reached my left ear.

“I can do it myself!”

A somewhat embarrassed ahjumma voice echoed in my right ear and I pushed the door completely open. I was met with a dark haired girl leaning over a pushed down body of a blonde.

Oh, and did I mention they were on a bed?

Even though the scene wasn’t as erted as I first thought, I felt myself heat up and squeak. They couple turned towards me and the door confusingly.

“What in the-“ The blonde started.

“Ah! I’m so sorry! I thought this was the room 305 of Seohyun…” I exclaimed loudly. I took a quick glance at the door and saw the room number.

302

How in the world did I get the wrong room?! I must’ve been more nervous than I thought. I mentally pinched myself.

I was wide-eyed and the dark haired girl giggled at me.

I must’ve looked pretty silly.

“C-carry on!” I yelled, slamming the door shut in their faces. I turned away from the door and brought a hand up to my hair. I messed up my bangs a bit and scolded myself.

“Babo! How could you have not seen the room number?” I muttered to myself.

I started to walk down the hallway a bit, counting the numbers on the glossy doors of each room.

“Room 303…Room 304…Room 306…Yah! Why don’t these rooms go in order!” I said exasperatedly. I searched all around for the room 305 but couldn’t find the room I was looking for.

I was growing frustrated.

“Arrgh!” I groaned, slumping against the wall.

“Um, you need a little help there?” A bright female voice reached my left ear.

I turned around to be met with one of the prettiest eye-smiles I have ever seen and it took me a while to gather back my thoughts. I then noticed she was the dark-haired girl from the room. She grinned at me awkwardly and offered me a tissue from her purse.

“Um, you got a bit of drool,” She pointed at the corner of my lips. “Right there.”

I snapped out of my daze and I gladly took the tissue from her hand, wiping my mouth with it.

The dark-haired girl smiled and leaned against the wall beside me, hands crossed over her chest.

“So,” She started off, “Were you looking for a room?”

I nodded and replied to her. “Yeah. I just can’t seem to find this one room, 305.”

“Oh! The room of the new patient right?”

I nodded again and she stood up straight.

“I’ll lead you there!” She took my hand and started to drag me behind her. “I’m Tiffany by the way but since you’re Korean, you can call me Fany if you can’t pronounce the name.” Tiffany was introducing herself and I took a second to think before speaking.

“I’m Im Yoona.” I stated plainly.

Well that was friendly of me.

Tiffany was pulling me out of the 300 hallway now and down to the 400 hallway. I was confused but decided to keep quiet. Tiffany probably knew what she was doing unlike me who barged into a private moment.

“You’re here to visit a friend Yoona?” She asked as we walked through the large main lobby.

“Um, I guess you could say that.”

This question again.

I suddenly remembered the irritated girl I had asked for help the other day. I was sure the girl that bumped into that blonde hair employee was Seohyun and after receiving the papers I needed to sign, I had wimped out by the time I was just about the sign the last paper to see Seohyun.

This time, I wouldn’t back out from seeing her.

Tiffany nodded slowly and she seemed like she was searching for something. I looked towards where she was staring at and I saw that she was looking for room 305.

I too started to look for it.

“Yoona, are you interested in that new patient?” Tiffany asked.

I stumbled a bit, surprised at her sudden question. Was I interested in Seohyun? Well, duh, if I wasn’t then why would I be doing this in the first place?

“Yeah. I guess I'm kinda interested.” I said nonchantly. I didn't mean to sound so careless but I was stunned.

Tiffany turned to me and eyed me closely. Then, she smiled. “You have feelings for her, don’t you.”

“What?! No!” I yelled.

Where did she get that from?!

She looked at me in doubt and waved her finger at me. “You shouldn’t lie Yoona. I know a love-struck person when I see them.”

I shook my head. “I’m not lying. I don’t even really know Seohyun!” I was telling the truth and even though it hurts knowing I wasn't close to Seohyun, it was still the truth.

“Oh Seohyun is her name? She never talks so I wouldn’t know.” Tiffany brought up her fingers to her chin and tapped it. “If you not crushing on her then why are you so hung up on this Seohyun anyway?”

I paused for a bit. Even I didn’t know and in a few seconds Tiffany would be expecting an answer. Is this what they mean by ‘putting you on blast’?

“I…I just want to learn to know her.”

Tiffany studied me closely, her face hard. Fnally, she let out a laugh and dismissed the heavy around us. “Okay, I understand. It’s just that you have that same aura I give out when I go see Taeyeon.”

I decided not to ask about Taeyeon, who was probably that blonde paitent she was feeding before. Tiffany looked like she was in a good mood after mentioning Taeyeon and she was probably thinking of her right now, regarding the wide eye-smile she’s wearing now.

“Ah! There it is!” Tiffany exclaimed, jerking me all the way down the hallway.

I stood in front of a single door that was placed right at the end of the hallway. Sure enough, it was embedded with the numbers I was looking for.

“Oh thanks Fan-“

Tiffany cut me off panicky.

“Oh no! Taeyeon has been waiting for me for a while now!”

I stared confusingly at Tiffany sprinting back to the room I first saw her in. She disappeared at the corner and that left me standing in the middle of an empty hallway looking like a fool.

Why were the people here so wacked? Even the non-paitents.

I sighed and turn back to the door.

I skipped trying to knock on it, since I’ve already wasted enough time and gently pushed the door open. I was anticipating anxiously for Seohyun’s face.

There was no bright sunlight to blind me this time and I could spot green painted walls unlike the blue painted walls of room 302. I pushed the door open a little bit more and I could see a figure sitting on a tiny twin bed.

The figure turned out to be Seohyun and she turned around, her eyes wide from shock.

I gulped slightly when I saw her watch me warily and I took a small step inside her room. I closed the door behind me and we stared at each other silently.

“Hi…” I tried, greeting awkwardly. My hand waved at her.

Seohyun hugged her plush closer to her and I knew that she was intimated by my sudden appearance. She bowed her head lightly at me and I was relieved to know she wasn’t as frightened of me. Either she must’ve recognized me from school or she was just being polite.

“I brought a Keroro OST CD for you…” I reached into my backpack, pulling out a disk. “I heard you liked Keroro.”

I saw her eyes lighten up at the sight and I smiled to myself, happy to know that she liked my gift. Her grip on her plush loosened a bit.

I walked carefully towards her, extending the disk. I went to stand in front of her bed and handed her the disk which is accepted slowly.

She was such a beauty up close.

Her black hair was slightly curled so it waved its way down and over her shoulders. The make up she was wearing was perfectly applied, the mascara she wore bringing out her eyes in an instant. Her skin was pale and smooth and I couldn’t help put trail my eyes down to her lips which were painted in a light pink lip-gloss.

I my own lips.

Seohyun shifted uncomfortably and my eyes jerked back up to her face.

I noticed a slight blush on her cheeks.

I cleared my throat, embarrassed that she had caught me staring and I stepped back a little bit. Something I always did when I was uncomfortable.

I watched as she put the disk to her side and grab her notebook that was behind her back. She clicked her pen and started to write.

After she was done, she showed it to me.

"Why are you here?"

I smiled and replied. “I wanted to visit you obviously.”

She frowned ever so slightly.

"But I don’t know you?"

“Oh, I’m from the college you use to go to.”

"I know that, since I’ve seen you around the campus but…"

I knew she was confused of why I would even be here in the first place. Even I was a bit clueless on why I went through all of this trouble just to visit a girl a barely knew.

But then again, I have had a slight interest in her.

“I thought you might be lonely.” I stated, “Even back in school I never seen you with any friends. So I thought I would keep you company.”

She clenched her pen and scribbled something down.

"I don’t need your charity. Thank you but if this is a joke that you and your friends thought it would be funny to play on me well then there’s no reason for you to be here."

I looked at her after I read the note, hurt.

“I’m not here because of a stupid joke or dare.” I walked toward her, placing my bag in the floor.

She looked at me doubtfully.

“I know my friends made fun of you a lot during school and I swear I wasn’t one of them talking bad about you.” I sat on the edge of the bed carefully.

Seohyun didn’t seem to mind so I kept on talking.

“They were just jealous of you because you could easily graduate college without even talking and they knew they couldn’t do it.” I looked down at my lap. “I’ve always found you really admiring, even though you’re a year younger than me and I thought maybe…” I hesitated and the bed shook slightly.

I looked back up and found that Seohyun had scooted closer to me; just a bit though. I gazed straight into her eyes and spoke sincerely.

“I thought you would like a friend.”

She furrowed her eyebrows.

"Not really. I’m fine alone…"

I read her note and shook my head. “No, I’m sorry, that’s not what I meant.”

She stared at me curiously.

"Then what do you mean, Im Yoona-sshi?"

My eyes widened.

She knew my name.

I felt my heart skip a beat a little bit when I read her note.

“I want to be your friend. I want to be your first actual friend.” I finally said.

My chest filled with small butterflies when I saw her give me a shy, pure smile and she brushed back her hair behind her ears. She seemed to be pondering for a moment and then she clicked her pen and started to write.

She showed me the note.

"I would really like that."

I couldn’t help myself and couldn’t contain my joy and I laughed heartily, my alligator laugh shining through. I was grinning happily.

At first, Seohyun looked at me weirdly but soon she cracked a small open mouth smile, her white pearly teeth glistening. Then, she brought up a hand to her lips and in that moment, even though it was soft, I could hear a little quiet giggle escape from her.

Something in me leaped at the delicate sound.



"So Seohyun-sshi..." I started as I looked around the room. The room contained nothing but a simple twin bed and a desk in the far rigth corner of the room, a window built right in front of it. I frowned. This was no way to live.

"I'm guessing you don't have a CD player in here."

Seohyun glanced up from the CD she was admiring and gave me a quick nod.

"My parents don't think I'll be here long so they didn't bother to bring me any personal things of mine."

I frowned. "Then how are you going to listen?" I pointed to the disk.

"I don't know. I think I'll just read the case..."

"No way! I bought you that so you could listen and you will!" I exclaimed. I picked up my bag and started to pour everything out. "It should be in here..." I muttered. "Ah! Here." I pulled out a small portable cd player. I handed it to Seohyun, but she pushed it away shaking her head.

"I can't take it."

"Please do. I never really used the thing anyway."

She furrowed her brows at me and shook her head again. I sighed heavily. "Fine, but I'm still going to put it here." I walked over to the empty desk and placed the cd player on it. If she wasn't going to take it, I guess I'll just have to tempt her.

I turned back around to see Seohyun holding her stomach, rubbing it.

"You hungry?" I rasied a brow at her. She blushed and look away, poking at the bed. She grabbed her pen and paper.

"I didn't exactly eat anything..."

"But the receptionist said it was your lunch time now!"

She bit her lip and motioned to the trash bin. I quickly walked over to the trash where I spotted a tray with its contents spilled out. "Why did you throw it away?" I turned back to her. I was shocked. Seohyun didn't seem like a person to refuse things like these. Wait, she does...the cd player.

Seohyun gripped the bed sheets and turned away from me. Her stomach growled.

Then, it struck me.




I was running down through the hallway and I was dodging the nurses and the people in my way as I sprinted into the main lobby. I panted for air but didn’t decrease my speed.

I saw an employee in a white lab coat and I dashed towards her.

I tapped her shoulder.

“Excuse me!” I shouted, causing the huge giant girl to turn around. Her hair was tied up into a messy bun and she sported a pair of glasses on her face.

“Huh?!” She exclaimed, her voice bouncing off the walls and bouncing directly into my ears.

I flinched.

This woman was pretty loud.

I shook my head to shake out her voice from my mind and she looked down at me in question.

“Were you the one who yelled for me?” She asked, pursing her lips, the volume of her voice toning down a bit when the people around her shushed her. She took off her glasses and raised her brow as she scanned me up and down.

I nodded. “Yes! I was!”

“Well what do you want creepy tall kid?” She said, not caring if her comment offended me or not. I was too excited to care though. This was my chance to be able to help Seohyun get over her fear of talking and just help her out and this way, I wouldn’t need to force myself into her life more than I already did. This way, I’ll naturally get to know her and she’ll naturally get to know me.

I took in a deep breath.

“I want a job in the Madhouse.”



 





Preview of Chapter 5:

"So Kim Taeyeon is traumaized but she doesn't acknowledge it?"

"Yes. That's excatly why she's here. She doesn't know that she unconsiously leaves her room in the middle of the night. She can't remember anything when she's in that state of mind."

"And how about Seohyun?"

"Almost mute. She also suffers from an eating disorder if people serve her the wrong kind of food; it seems like she only eats a certain dish. She refuses to eat the meals we give her. We're still trying to find out which dish she needs."

"I see...And Yuri-unnie is forever stuck in a child-like mindset?"

"At first, that's what I thought but no, that's just the way she acts."

"Oh that's funn-"

"Sooyoung! Quick! Yuri is-!"


 





And that's it for Yoonhyun! The introductions are done and it seems like things are turning. I hope you guys liked the preview. C;