Chapter 7

The Guardian

 

 Tao’s eyes fluttered open, taking a moment to focus on the dark room. The sky outside of his hospital room window was a deep blue. He glanced at the clock; it was just before sunrise. He wiped his face with his hand tiredly while he tried to remember exactly what happened. He remembered running for Kris, and a gunshot, but after that, there was nothing else.

His right shoulder was filled with a dulled pain. He didn’t know how much drugs they’d given him, but he was a little dizzy and sick to his stomach. He tried to flex the fingers in his right hand, but was shocked when they didn’t move well. Tao looked down at his arm. Kris held his hand and was sleeping, with his head lying on Tao’s forearm.

Tao smirked and reached over with his other hand, poking Kris in the cheek. “Hey,” he mumbled. Kris didn’t stir. Tao ran a finger along his jawline lightly and smiled. “Kris,” when he didn’t respond again, Tao shook him by the shoulder.

Kris grunted and snuggled closer to Tao’s arm, then rubbed his eyes with his knuckle. He looked up at Tao and jumped up. “You’re awake!” Kris whispered enthusiastically. He moved next to Tao on the hospital bed and leaned over him. “I was worried about you.”

Tao waved his hand, “I’m okay.”

“No you’re not. You didn’t have to do that for me, Tao,” he sighed, “I don’t even know how to make it up to you.”

Tao thought for a moment, his lips pursed, “You could get me another pair of shoes.”

Kris chuckled, but it caught in his throat. His face fell, and Tao was sure he saw tears forming in the bottom of his eyes. Tao tried to sit up a bit and held out his arms helplessly. “Hey, it’s fine,” he said, laughing nervously, “I’ll be okay.”

Kris slid into his arms, just missing Tao’s injured shoulder, and rested his forehead in the crook of his neck. Tao wrapped his arms around him and patted his back. “Why would you do this?” Kris asked.

Tao replied, “I knew what was going to happen, and I couldn’t watch you get hurt.”

“I watched you get hurt,” Kris said dryly.

Tao smiled, “Yeah, but you don’t really like me that much anyway.”

Kris pulled away enough that he was face to face with Tao. He looked hurt. Tao’s eyebrows furrowed and he squeezed Kris’ bicep softly. “What?” Tao mouthed, trying to get him to say something.

He sighed. “I do like you, Tao.”

He leaned forward and kissed the top of Tao’s head. The other boy blushed, then pulled Kris in with his good arm so they were laying together again. Kris hid his face in his neck and sniffed, but it wasn’t until Tao felt him shake that he realized he was crying. Tao held him tighter and rested his cheek in his hair.

 

It had been three days, and Tao was finally released from the hospital with a sling and some pain pills. Kris excitedly took over the job of rolling Tao out of his room and downstairs in his wheelchair. When they hit the bottom floor, the others were waiting by the main entrance. Kris pushed the chair in their direction, letting go so Tao flew to them. Tao tossed his good arm in the air like it was a rollercoaster and laughed.

Kris caught up and grabbed the handles, stopping him before he ran into Lay. Lay smirked at Kris, almost as if he knew what was going on. The others smiled at Tao and patted at him on the knee, the good shoulder, the hand. He grinned at them.

“How are you feeling? Luhan asked.

“Well enough,” Tao said, smiling, “I’m ready to go home.”

“Oh no.” Kris said, “You’re not going home.”

Tao looked up at him, his eyebrows raised questioningly. Kris crossed his arms, “The doctor said you had to be careful, and relax. I know you won’t do that on your own.”

“Then,” Tao said slowly, his eyes wide, “where am I going?”

“My place,” Kris stated.

Luhan, Xiumin, and Chen exchanged looks. “Are you sure?” Chen asked. He nodded.

“Oh no, I can’t,” Tao said, “I would bother you too much, especially with this bum arm.”

Kris shook his head and started pushing him out the door towards the van. “I owe you. I would feel bad if I left you in your little apartment all alone like this.” He stopped just outside the van and slid the door back. “Come on,” he said, helping him out of the chair.

“Are you sure?” Tao asked.

“Mhm.” Kris climbed in after him, and then the others filed in and they drove off towards Kris’ penthouse apartment. 

 

 



 

 

Sorry this one is so much shorter, guys.