Chapter 15

The Guardian

 

 

“Gege,” Tao moaned softly.

Kris grunted and rubbed his face with his hand tiredly, then rolled over onto his side. “What’s wrong, Tao?” Kris leaned over him, his eyes still squeezed shut as he tried to wake up. He peeked at Tao, who was still fast asleep. He smirked and placed a hand on Tao’s stomach.

“Gege,” he whispered, “There’s a hole… in the boat.”

Kris chuckled and shook him. Tao groaned and tossed a bit before his eyes fluttered open. He sighed dramatically and covered his eyes with his hand.

“Bad dream?”

“Mm.”

Kris’ hand slid to his waist, “Don’t worry, no more boats,” he said, snickering. Tao curled up against his chest, holding onto his shirt and letting out a little puff of air as he relaxed.

“What time is it?”

“A little after two,” Kris said, glancing at the clock on the other side of Tao, “Go back to sleep.”

Tao tutted, “Waking me up for nothing…” He leaned his forehead against Kris’ collarbone and closed his eyes. “The least you could do is kiss me goodnight.”

“We did that yesterday, aren’t you tired of it yet?” Kris teased.

“Never,” he mumbled, then yawned. Kris reached up and his hair, then pulled back and kissed him lightly on the eyelids. He wanted to tell Tao exactly how he felt, but before he could muster up the courage, Tao’s hand went limp and dropped from his shirt as he dozed off again.

 

“Where do you think you’re going?” Kris demanded as Tao picked up his messenger bag.

“The grocery store,” he replied cooly, “We’re running out of food.”

Kris sat up straight, placing the tv remote on the table in front of him, “Do you want me to come?”

Tao shook his head, “It’s okay. It might be awhile, and you’re still supposed to relax.” Kris pouted and leaned back again. Smiling, Tao crossed the room and kissed the top of his head swiftly, squeezing his arm, “I’ll be back in a bit, Gege.” Kris couldn’t stop from grinning.

“You’d better hurry,” he threatened.

Tao let himself out of the apartment and headed for the market.

Kris threw his feet on the table and flipped through channels. He was getting way too used to being this lazy. If it wasn’t for Tao, nothing would get done. He stopped on a sketch show, paying only a bit of attention to it; it was more like background noise than anything else. When it ended, he started flicking again, but stopped when the doorbell rang.

He looked at the clock; Tao had been gone a little over an hour, but he wouldn’t ring. Kris tossed the remote onto the sofa cushion next to him and groaned as he pushed himself to his feet.

“Who is it?” He said over the intercom.

“It’s Chen,” he said slowly.

Kris grinned and opened the door, then frowned. “What’s wrong?” Chen didn’t look well; he was leaning against the doorframe and looked tired. “Chen, are you drunk?”

“No, I’m fine,” he chuckled, “Don’t just stand there, let me in, you punk.”

Kris nodded- drunk. He shook his head, snickering, and hooked him under the arm. He half-dragged Chen into the apartment, letting go of him as he flopped onto the sofa. “You should have gone home,” Kris said. “Were you drinking on your own?” Chen nodded and leaned his elbows on his knees. Kris sat in the armchair next to him, “What’s going on?”

“I wanted to ask you something,” Chen said, wagging a finger at him.

Kris’ eyes darted around nervously, “Uh… okay.”

“I didn’t know you were gay.”

“I-uh…”

“And I just have one question.” Chen cupped his hands together and looked at Kris, who nodded, “Why wasn’t it me?”

Kris’ eyes widened, “What?”

“I have been with you forever,” he said dramatically, patting his chest, “Why didn’t you fall in love with me? This random stranger comes along and you hated him,” he hung on the word ‘hated’, which made Kris’ face drop, “And all of a sudden, you guys are together.”

“Look, Chen, it just happened that way,” Kris said softly. Chen’s head dropped and Kris reached out, patting him on the knee.

“You didn’t even say anything,” Chen said sadly, “not until that day we went to the old factory.” He rubbed his face and Kris realized he was crying.

“Chen… it was all really fast. It’s not like I was keeping it from you, you’re my best friend.”

Chen jumped up, “Right! I’ve known you for years, I know everything you’ve been through and I’ve been there for you all this time!” He started for the door, but stumbled. Kris hopped up and caught him, trying to help him for the door, even though the drunk boy wasn’t happy about it.

Chen pushed his hands away and tried to stand on his own, but started to fall over again. Kris caught him by the shoulders. Chen sighed and looked up at him, then grabbed him by the collar and kissed him on the mouth. There was a click. Kris started to push him away, then looked over at the open door. Tao dropped the bags of groceries and his heel, quickly making his way down the hall.

“Tao!” Kris shouted, pushing Chen back. He rushed out of the apartment after him. Chen leaned against the wall and slid to the floor, covering his face with his hands.

 



 

 

I want you to know that I'm not trolling you. It is not ytime yet.