Chapter 2

Of This I Am Certain

 

~2 weeks later~

 

“All right, everyone, that’s it for today. Nice work!”

 

“Ne. Thank you,” the chorus of boys chimed to the dance instructor.  Jongin noticed with amusement how Kyungsoo still bowed 90 degrees as a farewell.  Newbies.

 

As the boys dispersed, Kai turned toward Sehun and Moonkyu.  They usually went out to eat together on lighter days like this.  They were throwing out options when Jongin noticed Kyungsoo staring at him.  It was at him, right?  Either way, it unsettled him.

He glanced down at this feet, considering.  Well, as a hyung…Finally, he looked up at those startling eyes and blurted out, “Kyungsoo-ah, would you like to join us?  Luhan?” He looked over at the other dollface newbie.

 

Both hesitated, but agreed.  For some reason, Jongin still felt unsettled.  Aish, was that a mistake?

 

They settled on the bubble tea place - again.  Sehun always requested it, and no one else seemed to care.

 

Luhan was surprisingly talkative on the wave over, playful even.  A charmer, this one. Kyungsoo was mostly quiet, but Kai almost found his bright smile and occasional laugh even more charming.

 

When they were seated, Kyungsoo became engrossed taking in the surroundings.  He seemed particularly interested in one of those ads they stand on the tables, for some pasta place.  Seriously, how old is this kid?

 

Kai couldn’t help smiling at his quirkiness.  It was a cuteness that wasn’t forced at all, it just seemed to come naturally from him.

 

He realized he was staring, and turned to Moonkyu, who asked a question Jongin had been wondering himself, “So Kyungsoo-yah, what do you think of SM so far?”

 

“Oh, it’s nice.  I’m still kind of surprised I’m here.”  Suddenly he turned to Luhan.  “Kind of like how shocked I was when I found out your age, hyung.”

 

Luhan laughed at Kyungsoo’s randomness while Kai, Moonkyu, and Sehun just stared, confused.

 

“You, you guys don’t know?  Luhan hyung was born in 1990, 3 years before me!  Isn’t that crazy?!”

 

Kai’s jaw dropped in disbelief, mirrored by Sehun’s.

 

Luhan giggled in amusement.  “Guess I’ll have to treat you to bubble tea from now on.  I’ve been caught.”

 

Sehun perked up at this.  While they continued to joke about Luhan’s eternal youth, Kai slowly registered the rest of what Kyungsoo had said.

 

A look of concern creased his brow.  “Kyungsoo…hyung, if you’re only 3 years younger than Luhan, that means you’re older…Mianhada,” he mumbled.

 

Kyungsoo looked at him quizzically.  “Ah, really?  I guess I am, then.”  His face brightened in a smile.  “It’s alright though, you’re still my sunbae in the company.” 

He calmly sipped his drink and perused the pasta restaurant ad again.  Kai was not so composed.  He felt terrible for talking down to him all this time…

 

“Ah – I want to learn how to make this.”

 

“Wha-What?” Kai asked, pulled from his worrying.

 

Kyungsoo pointed at a picture of some spaghetti dish.

 

“Oh,” Kai laughed despite himself.  “You like to cook then?”  Who was this kid?

 

“Mmm.  Whenever I can.  It’s all simple and quick stuff so far – I like to experiment, and I really, really like spaghetti.”  His eyes sparkled.  “As your hyung, I will make you some!”

 

Kai found himself smiling again.  Something about Kyungsoo’s earnest posture, his hands placed neatly on his knees, his round eyes glittering in excitement…

 

“I’d like that.”

 

When it was time to go, it was just Kai and Kyungsoo heading in the same direction.  They didn’t say much as they walked, but Kyungsoo matched Kai’s sleepy pace.

 

Just before his bus arrived, Jongin shuffled his feet a tad toward his.. hyung.  He hiked his sweater a bit closer on his shoulders and mumbled, “We should do this again.”

 

Kyungsoo smiled, biting his lower lip.  “Soon.”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi hi, kab here!

Chapter 3 is coming soon in Kyungsoo's POV :)

Thanks for reading, and if you have any suggestions, feel free to comment!