Chapter 10

Of This I Am Certain

 

Move in day, and Kai hadn’t felt so excited since, well, he couldn’t remember when.  He’d be eating, sleeping, breathing 24/7 with some of his closest friends – Kyungsoo, Sehun, Joonmyun…Honestly, he wasn’t sure why he felt so excited, considering he spent so much time with them anyway, but he chocked it all up to the hype of debuting after 5 long years. 

 

 He hiked his backpack higher up on his shoulder and rolled his suitcase to the elevator.  He shifted anxiously from foot to foot waiting for the doors to open, wondering if he should brave the stairs.  Fortunately, it didn’t take long for the elevator to arrive and whisk him to his new home.  He literally ran to the door, fingers shaking as he pushed in the entry code for the first time. 

 

Kai rushed inside, but the apartment looked empty.  I must be the first one here, he thought, a bit disappointed.  He entered the first bedroom on the right, dropped his things, and went back out to wait in the common room. 

 

“Ah, Jongin-ah, you’re here!” Suho startled him as he came out of the kitchen, a bright smile plastered on his face.

 

“Hey,” Kai replied warmly.  “I didn’t know you were here.  Where is everyone?”

 

“I think Sehun is at the M dorm helping Luhan unpack, still in denial I guess.  I’m not sure about the others.”

 

“I see,” he said, biting his nail impatiently.  “Did I put my stuff in the right room, by the way?” he wondered nodding toward the door he just left. 

 

Suho pondered for a second.  “That should be fine.  I think I should room with the maknae in the middle bedroom, and everyone else room by age after that.  So you’ll be with-“

 

“Kyungsoo!”  Kai finished for him, a bit louder than he expected. 

 

Suho blinked in surprise.  “Someone’s excited.”

 

“Ah, yeah.  I’m a bit…hyper today,” Kai laughed nervously.  The truth was, he’d been secretly hoping to room with Kyungsoo the whole time.  He had been afraid they would drift apart if Kyungsoo roomed with someone he was closer with – like Chanyeol or Baekhyun.  He didn’t have many opportunities to talk with his hyung unless they were alone, but now they would share a room, just the two of them.  Today couldn’t be anymore perfect. 

 

They heard the door click and Kai bounced from foot to foot as Chanyeol, Baekhyun, and Kyungsoo clambered through the doorway.  Chanyeol and Baekhyun created a general ruckus tackling Suho and Kai before inspecting every inch of the apartment.  Kyungsoo, meanwhile, knelt and straightened out the shoes and bags piled in the doorway.  Kai drifted towards him.

 

“Kyungsoo hyung, you’re rooming with me!”

 

Kyungsoo stood up, smiling and biting his lower lip.  Kai had never seen his eyes so big, and for some reason, Kai felt his heart flutter.  I’m just excited.  That’s it, it must be. 

 

“Really?!  I’ll go unpack then,” his hyung said, heading for their bedroom.  Kai was too antsy to join him just yet, so he followed the others exploring the dorm. 

 

It wasn’t very big – a common room, kitchen, two bathrooms, and three tiny bedrooms – but you could always trust Baekhyun to find something amusing.  After almost an hour, Baekhyun and Chanyeol had started playing with the kitchen lights and chanting for Sehun to come home to them.  Kai didn’t know whether he was more ashamed or amused. 

 

He looked at the clock, wondering what was taking Kyungsoo so long, and decided to check up on him.  Does it take that long to unpack, he wondered, swinging the door open.  Kyungsoo was busily folding clothes into piles on a bed, a very familiar suitcase zipped open in front of him.

 

“Hyung!  Is that – are you unpacking my stuff?”  Kai stared in amazement.

 

“Oh…Uh, yes.  I’m sorry, I should have asked…” Kyungsoo said softly, pausing his hands over a neat pile.  “Your stuff was in the middle of the room and…I’m kind of a neat freak.”

 

Oh boy.  This will take some getting used to.  Kai wasn’t very neat, and he had enough nagging from his sisters.  But seeing Kyungsoo standing there, so sincere and apologetic, he couldn’t stay irritated. 

 

“That’s ok.” I can’t believe I’m saying this.  “You’ll make sure I keep things clean.  Here, let me help.”

 

He approached the bed and picked up a shirt.  Kyungsoo began chatting away about how he had organized everything, and while Kai tried to follow him, he mostly just got in the way.  Kyungsoo didn’t seem to mind, but quietly corrected him at every turn.  Eventually Kai gave up and just watched him, amused by his hyung’s short little body flitting around the room, talking so seriously about nonsense.  How are you so adorable?

 

“What are you lovebirds doing in here?” Baekhyun burst into the room, ending Kai’s reverie.  Baekhyun often said that about anyone alone together for more than 5 minutes, but Kai still felt like he’d been caught in something.  He felt the heat rise in his cheeks, and rubbed his face in embarrassment.  No, no, no.  That cannot be what this is!

 

“Just unpacking,” Kyungsoo said calmly.  Kai looked up at him, but he was still putting books away, completely unfazed.  Of course it’s nothing.  But why am I disappointed?

 

“How boring,” Baekhyun sighed.  “Sehun-ah is here.  And he’s hungry.” 

 

Kyungsoo rolled his eyes.  “Meaning all of you are.  Give me a few minutes, I’ll go shopping.”

 

Baekhyun smiled gratefully.  “I’ll go with you,” he offered, and left the two alone again.

 

“You are such an umma,” Kai teased, as Kyungsoo patted the last few shirts into drawers.  His eyes unconsciously travelled up his skinny jeans, his tiny waist, and the curve of his back, ending with that slender neck and raven black hair.  He hadn’t noticed how he’d thinned out over the past year, leaving him slightly toned.  I’m staring again.  He pulled his eyes away, stomach turning in knots, and he realized he’d been holding his breath.

 

Could I really have feelings for him?

 

Kyungsoo placed a hand lightly on his shoulder.  “Would you like to come with us?”  His large, white-rich eyes met his mere inches from his face and Kai started to feel faint.

 

“I think – I think I’ll just stay here,” he answered, unable to look away.

 

“Is there something you want?”  Kai’s thoughts were racing nonstop.  What he wanted had nothing to do with food.

 

“Whatever’s fine,” he breathed. 

 

Kyungsoo nodded as he brushed past him, doing crazy things to Kai's heart.  He watched his hyung leave before falling back on the bed, clutching his chest.

 

.  I like my roommate.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

100 SUBSCRIBERS!!!  I DON'T KNOW IF THAT'S A BIG DEAL HERE, BUT IT MEANS SO MUCH TO ME!

THANK YOUUUUUU<3

My lyrical inspiration:  "Mama, just let me be your lover~~"  Or is that too naughty >_<  

I myself am really excited for the next chapter, so I'll try to finish it quickly!

@panzym @coffee_donuts @NadieLee  @WowF4ntasticBaby  Kyungsoo is cuteness incarnate.  I kinda ship him with balloons now too (shhh!)

@WeirdoTheGreat  GULL, your comment had me ROLLING LIKE A BUFFALO XD

@ShiroiParadise  TT^TT  Thank you so much!  I am so touched by your comment!  100th subscriber, I really hope I don't disappoint you! 

<3 kab