Chapter 12

Of This I Am Certain

 

“Good work today, hyung,” Kai said, throwing a bare arm over Kyungsoo’s shoulders.  Oh god, why’d it have to be a wifebeater, Kyungsoo thought, a shiver running down his spine. 

 

“Thanks,” he muttered, looking away.

 

Kai dropped his arm and stepped in front of him, calm as ever.  “I thought I should let you know, I’m going out with Taemin later.  I’ll be back by curfew, but could you let Suho and the others know?”

 

But Kyungsoo hadn’t been paying attention to much else besides the movement of Kai’s lips.  Ever since the kiss a few days ago, it had been impossible not to notice them.  That and the rest of his face, and hair, and arms, and – Focus, Do Kyungsoo.  What did he say?  Taemin.  Right.

 

“Sure.  Of course.”

 

“Thanks,” Kai smiled, leaving the room with a wave and a wink.  Damnit, why does he do that?  I’m supposed to be practicing right now!  But Kyungsoo couldn’t concentrate on the song, his finger unconsciously tracing the edge of his mouth…

 

He still wasn’t sure what to think about what happened.  Fortunately, Kai hadn’t said anything about it.  He acted pretty much the same way he always had, and Kyungsoo had tried to do the same, for the most part.  Since nothing had changed (for Jongin, at least), he figured Kai was just a flirt and it hadn’t meant anything.  Or so he told himself, over and over again, hoping it would sink in-

 

~I wanna be a billionaire, so freaking bad~  “Oh!  My phone!”  He jumped up out of his daydream.  He checked the caller id.  It was his older brother.

 

“Yobosayo.”

 

“Kyungsoo-yah!  How are you?  I’m not disrupting anything, am I?” his warm voice blared over the phone.

 

“I’m – I’m fine.  Just tired.”

 

“Ahh, our little Kyungsoo is working very hard!  You have to stay healthy.  Have you eaten?”

 

“Yes.  Did mom tell you to pester me or something?” Kyungsoo teased.  It was nice to hear from him, even if he talked a lot.  He had missed this.

 

“Wahh, do I need a reason to call my one and only little brother?  I want to know what it’s like to be almost famous.  How are the dorms?  Who are you closest to?”

“Dorm life is fun, actually.”  Kyungsoo paused.  “We’re all close, but Baekhyun and Chanyeol are friends.”

 

“Oh, I would have guessed your roommate.  Kai, is it?”

 

Kyungsoo felt his stomach do a flip.  “Jongin?  Oh, well, Kai is…different.”

 

A laugh came from the other end.  “What do you mean, Kai is different?  Do you like him or something?”

 

Kyungsoo felt his face turn red.  “No!  No, it’s just, it’s just – well he’s my dongsaeng, and –“

 

“Oh my GOD, Kyungsoo, you DO!”  Now his brother was roaring with laughter.

 

“No I don’t!!” he yelled, trying to drown out his humiliation.

 

“Ok, fine, whatever.  You don’t fool me, though.”

 

“I have to go.  Vocal practice.”

 

“You are too obvious.  Don’t worry, I won’t tell anyone.”

 

“Shut up!”  He hung up the phone in frustration, imagining his hyung rolling in mirth.  He had never been able to hide anything from him.  He could tell he liked boys before Kyungsoo had known it himself.  This was a bad sign. Very bad.

 

He rubbed his face and let out a groan.  “I should just go home,” he decided, grabbing his jacket.  Jongin won’t be back for hours, and cooking will distract me…

 

The whole way home he couldn’t get Kai – and what he meant to him – out of his mind.  Of course he found him attractive, who wouldn’t?  The boy was gorgeous.  But he couldn’t allow himself to feel anything more.  First of all, it was forbidden on multiple counts – he wasn’t allowed to date anyone, let alone another member, and his roommate at that! 

 

Above and beyond all that, though, falling for Kai was dangerous.  Kai could get anyone he wanted, and it certainly wasn’t him.  Although Kai was younger, Kyungsoo was innocent and inexperienced.  Falling too far could get him hurt.  Very hurt.  He knew Kai didn’t mean to hurt him, playing like that, but Kyungsoo knew his own heart was fragile.  It didn’t mean anything.  It didn’t mean anything.  It didn’t mean anything. 

 

He slumped in the doorway of their apartment and was surprised to see no one around.  He entered their bedroom and felt a pang at the sight of Kai’s empty bed.  Hanging his jacket up, he noticed the CD Kai had given him for his birthday – the one he owned already, but never got around to returning.  All of sudden he was flooded with worry – what Kai was doing, when he’d be home, what Taemin meant to him.

 

And he knew his brother was right.  He liked Kim Jongin.  Liked him liked him. 

 

He also knew he would deny it.  He was far too close. 

 

No no no no no no no.

 

 

 

________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

OMG MY KAISOO FEELS.  It hurts, it really does.  

It's a long weekend for me, but I'll try to update as soon as possible.  We're getting into really juicy territory right now, so...

(cr: pandakyungsoo.tumblr.com  ~check her out, fellow KaiSoo shipper blog is awesome)

YOU KNOW I LOVE YOU ALL RIGHT?!?!  SUBSCRIBERS, COMMENTERS, READERS

<3 kab