Chapter 6 - Pocky Game

Distance At Hand

Struggling not to close the distance in too much with GaSeo, a very awkward expression spread about Heechul's face. For one, he always had issues being too intimate with women... no matter who, when or where.

 

“Yah! This is so hard! Why wasn't I paired up with Eunhyuk or Ryeowook?” Heechul bit off the last piece of pocky about an inch away from GaSeo's lips and complained, giving up on the game.

 

Yesung, who had the smallest distance thus far, laughed hysterically. With one hand grasping onto Kyuhyun's shoulder and the other punching his aching stomach, he only expected so much from Heechul.

 

Kyuhyun, who had a painful expression on, also expected this to happen. They knew Heechul too well.

 

“Heechul oppa...” GaSeo muttered under her breath, a bit relieved but also a bit disappointed. They couldn't hear it from her voice, they couldn't see it in her embarrassed expression, but somehow they felt it.

 

“Alright! It's Kyuhyunnie and Ryeowookie's turn!” Eunhyuk shouted excitedly. This was the pair he had been anticipating the entire time, his best friend and his brother – the two people who just couldn't seem to get along smoothly and naturally.

 

Yesung straightened himself out, he felt a bit tense about this pair.

 

Heechul also became quiet, interested in how Kyuhyun would react to this.

 

“I.... Kyuhyun-sshi...” Ryeowook started, but was cut short by Kyuhyun.

 

“Let's just do it,” Kyuhyun exclaimed, not wanting anyone to take advantage of the situation to pressure them into doing anything more than just the game.

 

Ryeowook obediently placed the pocky between his lips. Kyuhyun stared at Rywowook's lips for a moment, those thin pink lips that seemed to be glossed by chap-stick or lip-stick, but weren't. They were somewhat inviting.

 

“Youthful,” Heechul unconsciously muttered. Yesung turned to Heechul, the corner of his lips lifting oddly, knowing Heechul was being reminded of his old-age.

 

“Aish,” Kyuhyun sighed before finally filling the space between him and Ryeowook slowly, “if we're going to play, we're going to win.”

 

Ryeowook widened his eyes as Kyuhyun took hold of his thin waist and in one quick and smooth movement landed not even a centimeter away from his lips.

 

Ryeowook held his breath, his heart was beating so fast that he couldn't even feel it anymore. His lips felt numb. His hands, which he didn't know where to place before, unconsciously landed on Kyuhyun's shoulders, gripping them tightly.

 

It seemed like hours had passed before Kyuhyun, looking straight into Ryeowook's eyes, smirked and broke the pocky, retreating back into his original posture.

 

It bothered Ryeowook, Kyuhyun's smirk wouldn't let Ryeowook rest his mind. Why was he smirking?

 

The answer was simple, but Ryeowook couldn't process it because his brain had lost it's function during the seconds their intimacy lasted. It was because Ryeowook's reaction was even girlier than a girls. GaSeo wasn't even as reactive as he was when playing with Heechul.

 

Standing aside, no one saw GaSeo's frown, her worried expression. A feeling overcame her being; anger, fear, jealousy, possessiveness, any of the above could describe GaSeo and her tension.

 

As if detecting this tension, Kyuhyun turned to GaSeo with a cold expression. His eyes almost spoke to her, but 'sorry' weren't the words being communicated. Far from it. She could only lower into her seat, wondering what he was trying to say.

 

'Mine.'

 

The word repeated numerous times in Kyuhyun's mind. He didn't understand it but he saw it and he felt it. He now understood... he wanted him. The moment he turned from Ryeowook to GaSeo, the moment he felt the anger and jealousy exuding from her eyes, the moment Ryeowook gasped and gripped onto his shoulder, he knew he wanted him.

 

Observing quietly, Yesung and Heechul turned to each other. Heechul nodded his head at Yesung, as if hearing the question that Yesung asked himself since the beginning of this segment. Yesung smiled sweetly at Heechul, it was the first time Heechul couldn't understand him.

 

Laughing quietly at Heechul's confused look, he simply shook his head and hung an arm over his shoulder, relaxing himself.

 

Bringing himself together, Eunhyuk scurried over to the pair and took the remaining piece of the pocky from Ryeowook's lips. Ryeowook was still frozen in place.

 

“Looks like a win,” Yesung said, walking over to Kyuhyun while shrugging his shoulders in defeat.

 

“Of course it does,” Kyuhyun stated confidently, grinning.

 

“As expected from our great GameKyu, the man who can't lose... to anything, or anyone,” Yesung replied, seemingly referring to someone, embracing Kyuhyun.

 

Ryeowook finally straightened himself out, and smiled politely at the praising eyes directed towards him and Kyuhyun. He had entirely forgot about GaSeo's presence.

 

“A prize?” Ryeowook asked playfully, desiring something from the elders.

 

“Bbo-bbo!” Heechul joked, pulling Kyuhyun and Ryeowook closer.

 

“That was enough of one, wasn't it?” Eunhyuk teased, wrapping his arms around Ryeowook from behind. “A good one too, it seems, Ryeowook was totally dumbfounded.”

 

Ryeowook blushed hard at this comment. Shaking Eunhyuk by the arm, Ryeowook covered his face with his small hands causing everyone present, except for GaSeo, to laugh. It made Eunhyuk want to more, removing Ryeowook's hands from his face... but Ryeowook lowered his head until it couldn't be seen anymore.

 

GaSeo finally decided to partake in the conversation, “stop teasing Ryeowook oppa,” she considerately said, wrapping her arms around him, “he might cry!”

 

Everyone laughed at her teasing, even the embarrassed Ryeowook couldn't help but to chuckle at the way she said it. He raised a hand to her face and pinched her cheeks, she smiled cutely at him.

 

“I think oppa deserves a prize, it's not easy being so close with Kyuhyun,” she added, a hint of bitterness in her tone.

 

“I agree,” said Heechul, throwing dirty looks at Kyuhyun, “kids got attitude.”

 

Yesung dropped deep into thought, trying to come up with something they could all get Ryeowook as a prize, “hmm... what would you like, Ryeowook?”

 

Lost in the question, Ryeowook couldn't come up with anything he desired. He always thought he had everything he needed; he had Eunhyuk, he was able to study, he had family that cared about him... there was nothing else he wanted.

 

Suddenly coming up with an idea, Ryeowook smirked while prepping himself for the upcoming prize, “I want a promise from each of you, anything that I may want or need. I don't know what they are now, but when I think of it, I'll ask it from each of you.”

 

Heechul and Yesung smiled at this request, it was a typical child-like wish and they could accept it.

 

“I'm fine with it,” Heechul agreed.

 

“Same,” Yesung added.

 

“Anything for Ryeowookie!” Eunhyuk laughed.

 

“You got it~” GaSeo sang.

 

Looking at Kyuhyun, the last one standing, Ryeowook smiled brightly. Unable, and  not wanting to reject this request, Kyuhyun nodded in agreement.

 

They all spent the rest of the day eating, playing and chatting about various things that came up. It was the first time in a long while that Heechul, Yesung and Kyuhyun were able to relax and live in the moment, no matter how short it lasted. A minute, an hour, a day, a week or a month, no matter how long, this was a moment they would treasure. It was like returning to their childhood, returning to innocence; the one thing they had lost in this horror filled world. The one thing they might just be able to retrieve on this candid ride.