Chapter 16 - Back To Square One

Distance At Hand

“So bored!” Eunhyuk cried, throwing pillows from his bed onto the floor. “How much longer are we going to be cages in this room? It's been two days already!”

 

Kyuhyun ignored Eunhyuk and continued working on his laptop while helping Sungmin with some handy-craft.

 

Ryeowook tried to comfort Eunhyuk with some food, but it wasn't working too well, “Kyuhyun, foods not even working anymore!” Ryeowook gasped, Eunhyuk never rejected food.

 

Yesung and Heechul laughed as they gathered around Ryeowook, sharing the snacks.

 

Donghae sat aside listening to some music, when he heard Ryeowook crying for help he tugged Eunhyuk aside and placed one of the headphones in Eunhyuk's ears. Eventually they drifted off into the Double Lee world.

 

Leaving the snacks and the two hungry hyungs, Ryeowook took a seat next to Kyuhyun and Sungmin, looking for something to do. Kyuhyun handed Ryeowook some papers for origami with a smile.

 

“Sungmin loves handy-crafts, he's really good at it,” Kyuhyun praised, “I'm still trying, you should try to make some too, time passes by faster.”

 

Taking the paper from Kyuhyun's hands, Ryeowook smiled as he attempted to follow the directions off of the paper sitting on the table.

 

Sungmin watched as the two of them struggled through steps together and tried to correct each other on mistakes, Kyuhyun was extremely comfortable allowing Ryeowook to see his mistakes. It was as if the barrier that Kyuhyun held up against the entire world was lowered in Ryeowook's presence. Sungmin bitterly smiled to himself, what else did he expect?

 

Hours and hours went by until the next morning came around, they had finally reached their destination.

 

Everyone packed excitedly, wondering where they had finally landed after a months time. They enjoyed the time they spent on the ship, but knowing they could stand on solid and unwavering grounds once again delighted them very much.

 

Running out to un-board the ship, Ryeowook and Eunhyuk stood speechless. It was a familiar place.

 

“We're... home?” Eunhyuk asked, bewildered.

 

“Yup,” Kyuhyun answered, walking down the rail.

 

Ryeowook laughed as he also started down the rail, tugging Eunhyuk along with him.

 

“Home? I thought we were going somewhere!” Eunhyuk complained, following behind the crew.

 

“We did,” Kyuhyun replied, “but you know, no matter how far you travel, some people just end up back at point one, it seems we fit into this group.”

 

Eunhyuk felt like smashing Kyuhyun's head with his baggage.

 

“I, for one, am glad we didn't end up on some strange desert in the middle of no where,” Heechul thanked, rushing his steps to keep up with Yesung and Kyuhyun.

 

Yesung laughed and nodded, tugging his luggages behind him, “where are we headed now?”

 

The trio looked at each other, the smiles started to fade.

 

“Ahh, that's right, I almost forgot,” Yesung answered himself, “we're going home.”

 

Heechul recovered his smile, “that's right, home not-so-sweet home.”

 

“Let's stop by my house first, we have to say our goodbyes properly,” Kyuhyun added. Yesung and Heechul nodded, but Sungmin stayed silent the entire trip home.

 

After they reached Eunhyuk and Kyuhyun's home, Ryeowook and Sungmin began cooking dinner for everyone else. Donghae was invited to stay by Eunhyuk, who so kindly agreed to be Donghae's tour guide.

 

Yesung and Heechul sat with Kyuhyun in his room as Kyuhyun sent a last email to their head chief back at home.

 

“You were right when you said some people always end up back at point one, and you were right when you said we fit into that group of people,” Yesung stated, laying down on Kyuhyun's bed, “it's kind of sad to think about.”

 

Heechul threw a pillow onto Yesung's face, “what's wrong with point one? Who ever said it was bad to always go back to a starting point? Just think of it as starting over.”

 

“That's right,” said Kyuhyun as he turned to the two, “it's different this time. If it was us from the past, then going back now is only returning to what we once belonged to, but we've changed. This time, going back isn't returning to what we were, but sculpting what we will be.”

 

“Complicated,” Yesung teased, “when did you become so optimistic?”

 

“He already said he changed, listen, will you?!” Heechul shouted, throwing another pillow at Yesung.

 

Dinner was finally ready and everyone gathered in the kitchen, they all knew it would be their last meal with Yesung, Heechul and Kyuhyun.

 

It was by far the best meal they had had since the seven of them met, the most relaxing meal they've had as a family.

 

“Back to square one,” Yesung cheered, holding out his cup. Everyone cheered with him and they spent the rest of the evening happily.

 

 

The next morning arrived.

 

A black limousine stopped in front of Kyuhyun's house, Yesung and Heechul were waiting for him inside.

 

Sungmin followed Kyuhyun out, helping him carry some items. Stealthily, Sungmin shoved a letter into Kyuhyun's jacket pocket and waved goodbye to him with a smile, the brightest smile he could possibly show. As the car drove further off into a distance, Sungmin lifted his wrist and kissed the sapphire blue pendant, secretly giving a promise to Kyuhyun. The promise to be happy.

 

It seems like letters were the most popular way to communicate.

 

After Ryeowook returned to his own home the night before, he found a letter resting on the ground in his room. It was dusty.

 

To My Dearest Ryeowook Oppa,

 

I've thought long and hard, really long and extremely hard, about what I should do with this relationship between us. I know you love me far more than just friends, but much less than a lover. A sister, I suppose, is what I am to you. It makes me angry, truly. I hate that you can only see me as a sister, but I'm glad I'm not just nothing to you. I've seen the way you look at Cho Kyuhyun. Sometimes I wish I could hate him. You're both men, how could I lose to a man? But then I realized, between the two of you, it's more than just gender that you have in common. There's too much, too much that I've lost to him. It's ok, right? It's ok to lose, it's ok not to win. Oppa, we'll meet again. Maybe in a year, maybe three, maybe ten, but we'll meet again and when we do, I will show you that I'm happier than ever, even without you by my side.

 

Your cutest dongsaeng,

GaSeo

 

Smiling, Ryeowook placed the letter upon his chest. He was happy, even if he received goodbyes from the two people he loved most in one day, he was happy.

 

Now, he only needed to wait.