Chapter 5 - Reading Their Eyes

Distance At Hand

It was as if they had formed two separate groups. Group A consisting of Eunhyuk, Ryeowook and Gaseo and Group B consisting of Heechul, Yesung and Kyuhyun.

 

They always sat by their group mates when eating, stood by their group mates when observing the ocean, and hung out with their group mates when there was nothing to do. This sort of irritated Eunhyuk, who was the extraordinarily social one of both groups.

 

“Let's play a game,” Eunhyuk finally managed to suggest, waiting for a reaction from the three men sitting at the table nearby.

 

Heechul was quick to agree, standing up and heading over to Eunhyuk's table.

 

“Kyuhyun? Yesung?” Heechul added when he realized the two hadn't budged even a centimeter from before. Yesung lazily stood up and drug Kyuhyun by the arm with him.

 

“What game?” Yesung asked, a grin on his face.

 

“Does it matter? You'll lose anyways,” Kyuhyun provoked, leaning an arm on Yesung's shoulder.

 

“Psh,” Yesung laughed, pushing Kyuhyun's arm off, “you should be talking.”

 

“I should, they called me GameKyu back then, remember?” Kyuhyun confidently exclaimed with a straight face.

 

Yesung smiled at the fact that Kyuhyun was finally warming up to him again, like they used to be when they were younger, despite the age difference.

 

“It's us against the world, baby,” Yesung said, turning to Heechul.

 

“Who's your baby?” Heechul said offensively, “I know I'm pretty, but I'm not like that.”

 

“You know I didn't mean it that way, Heesica,” Yesung mocked, wrapping his hand around Kyuhyun's shoulder just so he could use him as a barrier if Heechul decided to attack. It was his specialty, dodging.

 

“Shut up,” Heechul angrily groaned at the nickname he was called during their childhood years, seeking Kyuhyun for aid. Kyuhyun merely watched Heechul lose to Yesung in the battle of words.

 

“Ok then,” Eunhyuk interrupted, “what should we play?”

 

Kyuhyun knew it wouldn't be fair if they decided to play a game that required too much physical thriftness, exercise or work because Group B was basically trained into these subjects.

 

Kyuhyun also knew it wouldn't be fair if they decided to play a game that required too much mental intelligence, processing or abilities because Group B was basically chosen by these subjects.

In short, there was no way that Group A could win against Group B.

 

“Since the three of us have so many issues getting along,” Kyuhyun stated monotonously, looking at Yesung and Heechul, “why don't we split into groups?”

 

Yesung and Heechul both understood why Kyuhyun decided to do this, and they silently decided within themselves that diving into three groups would be the best choice.

 

“Three groups then!” Yesung exclaimed.

 

“Why three?” GaSeo asked, looking from member to member of Group B.

 

They didn't know how to answer her, so Heechul quickly thought up an excuse, “well, for the game we're playing we need groups of two. There are six of us, you do that math.”

 

Kyuhyun smiled mentally to himself at how easily the three of them could cover for each other despite the years they spent apart and sat down in a chair, not wanting to include himself in the game deciding action.

 

Yesung shot Heechul the 'what game?' look, and Heechul returned the 'you think of one' look right back at him. They knew they were doomed, they decided to just wing it.

 

“Pocky game?” Eunhyuk suddenly shouted excitedly.

 

Kyuhyun was about to deny the idea when Yesung and Heechul, who were desperate for a game, admitted to it, nodding their heads violently. Kyuhyun sighed, shutting his eyes in frustration.

 

“Sure,” Heechul said, confusedly looking at the frustrated Kyuhyun.

 

“It's not going to work,” Kyuhyun quietly stated while standing up, “two of us are going to end up being in the same group, and I don't want to play that game, not with men.”

 

“What's wrong with the game?” Yesung asked, never coming into contact with this game before.

 

“What's wrong with it? Nothing's wrong with it. All you have to do is stick a pocky into your mouth and have your partner munch at it, towards you mind you, and see which group can make the smallest piece, which parallels smallest distance. Nothing's wrong with that...” Kyuhyun replied sarcastically, leaving Yesung and Heechul speechless.

 

“Well... why don't we just pair up straight across, then? We can make it YeHyuk pair, HeeSeo pair, and Kyuwook pair,” Eunhyuk suggested, really wanting to play a game with them.

 

“I... don't think that's too appropraite,” Heechul exclaimed, throwing glances between Ryeowook and GaSeo.

 

Yesung laughed and swung an arm around Kyuhyun's neck, waiting to see how they would figure out the grouping, “yeah, that won't work.”

 

Ryeowook, who had been silent all this time, peered over and Kyuhyun who sat straight across from him. Kyuhyun's slender eyes were watching Heechul intently, but his shoulder was being occupied by Yesung, who seemed to be just as close with Kyuhyun as Heechul was.

 

GaSeo bashfully lowered her head in thought, wondering if Ryeowook would mind if she paired up with another man for this game. As if collecting her thoughts from the air, Ryeoowok suddenly broke his silence, “is it alright with you, GaSeo?”

 

“If it's alright with you, I'm ok, I don't want to be the party pooper,” she answered, smiling angelically.

 

“Well, let's just do that then,” said Ryeowook enthusiastically as he stood up.

 

Yesung had noticed Ryeowook observing them from the start of the day, his silence somehow made Yesung nervous, which was why he always tried to stay with his groupies. As he looked into those eyes, Ryeowook's eyes, they were empty, so empty that Yesung felt as if he would drown in them if he continued to stare into them.

 

“I get it now,” Yesung silently whispered next to Kyuhyun's ears. Confused by his words, Kyuhyun chose to ignore Yesung's comment and walked over to his partner.

 

The day had just begun, the fun was finally going to start, and new feelings would start to bud. But not all of these feelings would be good... not all of them would be bad.