Chapter 10 - Going and Coming

Distance At Hand

“Do you ever think of him?”

 

Heechul lost himself in thought after Yesung asked the question, he fell into the memories of the days he spent with Hankyung, those short happy days.

 

“No.”

 

“Is that so?” Yesung sighed.

 

“Well, do you ever think of her?”

 

There was a long silence, Yesung smiled lightly, drowning in the memories of the days he spent with his one and only, before shaking his head, “no.”

 

They both laughed at each other, chatting the night away. Despite the things they do, the things they've experienced, they both had the ability to let the past be the past. They didn't question too many things, they kept their curiosity at a safe level. They knew how to live, they knew how to laugh, they knew how to stay together. They loved each other, no more than brothers, no less than lovers.

 

 

“Change of plans,” Kyuhyun called out, motioning for the six others to gather.

 

“There were plans?” Yesung laughed, looking at the others.

 

Kyuhyun rolled his eyes and pulled Ryeowook to his side, “I think Ryeowook and Gaseo need to get off the next stop, she can't just keep getting sick.”

 

“Ah, I'm ok, really,” Gaseo tried to protest, she didn't want to take the fun away from Ryeowook.

 

“No, you're not,” Kyuhyun countered, looking at her pale face.

 

“He's right, you... don't take this personally, but you look terrible,” Heechul exclaimed.

 

Gaseo embarrassingly lowered her head, she indeed wasn't feeling well at all; her head was spinning and her stomach felt as if it was turned upside down.

 

Ryeowook glued his eyes to the ground; he didn't want to leave but he also couldn't watch Gaseo depart alone while she was so ill. He could only remain silent.

 

Sungmin realized the disappointed look Ryeowook showed and stared at the lingering arm Kyuhyun placed around Ryeowook's shoulders, something was making him feel uneasy.

 

“Oppa,” Gaseo said, taking Ryeowook's hand into her own.

 

Ryeowok smiled sweetly at her, “it's ok.”

 

“You should stay,” Gaseo added, “I'll be ok.”

 

“I can't just let you go alone when you're so sick,” Ryeowook stated sternly, “what will I do if something happened to you?”

 

“Nothing will happen to me, all I have to do is get a plane ticket and fly back. I'll have my parents pick me up at the airport, it's ok, really.”

 

Ryeowook turned to Eunhyuk as if seeking help. Eunhyuk's brows were bent into a frown, this was hard to deal with.

 

“Well, if Gaseo insists, I think she'll be fine leaving alone,” Eunhyuk finally responded, “she's only sick when she's on the ship, once she's off she should be fine.”

 

“See, even Eunhyuk oppa says I'll be fine. You should stay, really.”

 

Ryeowook let out a long sigh and eventually nodded. He stepped aside with Gaseo, reminding her of all the safety precautions she must take and telling her she has to keep a watch out and protect herself, he even decided on his own that he would help her pack, afraid she would forget things.

 

“Well, the tickets will be sent to your room as soon as the boat arrives at the next port,” Kyuhyun said before heading into the lobby. Sungmin followed closely behind him.

 

“I have a bad feeling,” Heechul thought aloud, alarming those around him. Eunhyuk immediately jumped over to him.

 

“What do you mean, hyung?” Eunhyuk asked.

 

Heechul patted Eunhyuk on the back, semi-consoling him while shaking his head.

 

“You're not the only one,” Yesung added, leaning on the wall, “what is they're both my brothers, I can't take a side.”

 

Heechul laughed, “oh, trust me... that will be the least of your problems, Yesungie. I should know, I've been there.”

 

Yesung squinted at the mental images appearing in his mind, “you don't have to make me remember things like that.”

 

“Hankyung~ Hankyungie~” Heechul teased in a soft, high pitched voice. Eunhyuk still wasn't following them too well, but eventually he noticed they were referring to Sungmin and Kyuhyun. He decided he wouldn't worry about that, not now.

 

Ryeowook forced his gaze away from Yesung and Heechul's conversation, it annoyed him more than knowing Gaseo's was leaving on her own.

 

Gaseo knew, she knew the relationship she has been trying so hard to maintain with Ryeowook was changing, all she could do was watch. What could she do? She couldn't force him to only look at her, she couldn't cause him any pain; he didn't deserve it.

 

 

It was dinner time, all seven of this new group gathered together in the lounge for a nice meal, but eight people sat at the table.

 

“This is Donghae,” Sungmin introduced, “I met him many years ago, he's a great guy.”

 

Everyone gave Donghae a warm welcome, but the sunglasses he wore prevented anyone from having direct eye-contact with him. For a minute, a long, painful minute, there was an awkward silence.

 

Donghae smiled politely, he was more than used to this kind of situation, “my eyes aren't functional, if I took off these glasses right now, all of you might lose your appetite.”

 

No one dared to laugh, they didn't know him well enough to and were afraid to offend him but Eunhyuk, with his friendly nature, broke the silence.

 

“Nothing can kill my appetite, I can eat three elephants!”

 

Donghae felt a little relieved to know at least one person wasn't afraid of him and laughed heartily, everyone soon followed along. They all introduced themselves to him as they waited for their dinner to arrive, but once it got to Kyuhyun time seemed to freeze.

 

“Cho Kyuhyun,” Donghae repeated after Kyuhyun, “the Cho Kyuhyun.”

 

Sungmin nudged Donghae, telling him not to continue with his teasing.

 

“What?” Donghae asked with a playful tone, “Embarrassed?”

 

Kyuhyun watched their interactions intensely, every touch, every word, every exchange of glances, he made sure not to miss a single one of them.

 

Ryeowook caught Kyuhyun in his act of spying; those sharp, cold eyes staring at the man he once loved so deeply. Ryeowook swallowed hard on his oxygen, something was stuck in his throat.

 

“Donghae!” Sungmin scolded, covering his face in his hands, “Stop it!”

 

Yesung chuckled at how cute his younger brother was, but looking towards Kyuhyun, a rush of cold air seemed to possess him.

 

“I can't tell anymore,” Heechul whispered into Yesung's ears, “he's so complicated.”

 

“You can say that again,” Yesung replied, slidding deeper into his seat.

 

No one noticed how Eunhyuk watched Donghae. It was odd. It was the first time Eunhyuk just couldn't take his eyes off of a man, those sun-glasses... what were they hiding?