Chapter 11 - Sorting Things Out

Distance At Hand

“A month long?!” Eunhyuk shouted, staring at Donghae who was laughing at his over-reaction.

 

“You didn't know?” Donghae asked.

 

They were all sitting by the pool, some swimming and others just drinking under an umbrella, enjoying the breeze and shade.

 

“We didn't, Kyuhyun-sshi wouldn't tell us anything,” Ryeowook replied for Eunhyuk, who dunked underwater to calm himself down. Gaseo had left for two days already, her parents ensured him that she was doing fine.

 

Donghae didn't say anything more, Sungmin explained to him that Kyuhyun wanted everything to be secret, like an adventure, a journey.

 

“Donghae-sshi, you should come into the water!” Eunhyuk said, brushing his wet hair away from his face, “It feels really nice in here.”

 

“I... I don't think that's going to be easy for me,” Donghae replied, conscious of his eyes. Sungmin smiled at Donghae's sudden shyness, he'd never seen this side of him.

 

“It's ok, just go, Eunhyuk-sshi will watch over you, I'm sure,” Sungmin added, leading Donghae to the corner of the pool.

 

Eunhyuk helped Donghae into the pool and taught Donghae many tricks under the water, they enjoyed their time together.

 

Sungmin's eyes locked with Kyuhyun's, who had been watching him this entire time. Taking a seat next to Kyuhyun, Sungmin took his hands and interlaced their fingers.

 

“What?” Sungmin asked, staring at Kyuhyun's large hands.

 

Kyuhyun didn't say a word, he just kept staring in silence. Sungmin finally averted his eyes from Kyuhyun's hands, their gazes met again.

 

“What?” Sungmin prompted again.

 

Kyuhyun continued staring, his eyes were basically speaking for his lips.

 

Ryeowook watched them carefully, afraid to be caught. Yesung and Heechul also watched them, they were all afraid of something, they didn't know what.

 

“Kyuhyun...” Sungmin gently whispered, “I've never lied to you before.”

 

“I know,” Kyuhyun finally answered.

 

“I won't ever lie to you,” Sungmin added.

 

“I know,” Kyuhyun repeated.

 

“I've never... there was never... I-” Sungmin started, but was interrupted by Kyuhyun.

 

Kyuhyun leaned over Sungmin for a kiss. He ignored all the other presences around him; his brother, his best buddies, the new stranger, and his crush, he threw them all aside. He pushed Sungmin back in the chair until he was practically lying down, he didn't break the kiss. How long has he waited for a moment like this? How long have they waited for a moment like this?

 

“Oh god...” Yesung groaned, covering his eyes with his hands, “my brothers... both my brothers... how wrong could this get?”

 

Heechul laughed hard at Yesung's comment, “I told you.”

 

“I hate when you're right,” Yesung said, taking his hands off his eyes.

 

Ryeowook was dumbstruck, he didn't know how to react. A sour feeling was overcoming him, he could feel his eyes tearing a little, his nose started itching, his ears and cheeks were burning.

 

Eunhyuk and Donghae were still in their own little world, playing in the water.

 

Kyuhyun finally broke the kiss, for the first time in so long Kyuhyun finally smiled at Sungmin and gently whispered while caressing Sungmin's cheek, “I know.”

 

 

Kyuhyun hated himself. He hated himself for not understanding Sungmin years ago, he hated himself for not being able to handle things in a mature way, he hated himself for just being the way he was, living life with no principles.

 

He was a man. All men had a heart big enough for more than one love at a time. They were all men. They all had a heart that was so small even the tiniest bit of pressure or pain could break them. But he had to make a choice, he had to choose.

 

It was either Sungmin or Ryeowook.

 

He loved both of them. They both had a place in his heart. They both gave him love when he needed it, he took both of theirs relentlessly.

 

But Sungmin was different from Ryeowook. Ryeowook already had someone who loved him more than the world itself while Sungmin... Sungmin lived a life of misery. Even when Sungmin finally got his freedom, he was still suffering the shackles that bound him to Kyuhyun.

 

Sungmin loved Kyuhyun too much.

 

Kyuhyun never understood why; he was never curious because the love was all he wanted but now things have changed. Kyuhyun wanted to understand Sungmin; he wanted to know why, why Sungmin gave him his everything. Sungmin would be the reason that Kyuhyun lived now, Sungmin would be all he needed.

 

 

“Kyuhun...” a voice moaned into Kyuhyun's ears, he slowly opened his eyes to see Sungmin struggling to get his arms off of his chest, “Kyuhyun, wake up.”

 

Kyuhyun pulled Sungmin closer, binding him in his arms, “it's too early, Min,” he teased, burying his face into Sungmin's arm.

 

“Kyuhyun, wake up,” Sungmin laughed, tugging at Kyuhyun's arms, “we have to wake up now!”

 

Kyuhyun finally gave in and released Sungmin from his grasp, he brushed his hair out of his face and turned to the clock, “it's only eight, Min.”

 

“I know, we have to go!” Sungmin exclaimed, walking out of the bathroom while changing his clothes.

 

“Go where?” Kyuhyun asked, still lying in bed lazily.

 

“Come on!” Sungmin rushed, he ran over to pull Kyuhyun out of bed, “We're going to be late.”

 

It struck Kyuhyun, his mind was finally functioning. “Ahhh... I almost forgot!”

 

Sungmin was pushing Kyuhyun towards the bathroom, “I know, how could you?” Sungmin teased, laughing as Kyuhyun stopped in his steps.

 

“Obviously, my boyfriend wasn't doing a good enough job in reminding me we have to prepare for my future brother-in-law's birthday party!” Kyuhyun said, turning and he pulled Sungmin into a hug.

 

“Your breath stinks,” Sungmin laughed, pushing Kyuhyun away, “hurry up, we have to go!”

 

Sungmin was trying to hide his blush and smile, how long had it been since the both of them were so happy? How long had it been since they last smiled so childishly?

 

“I'm going to leave without you!” Sungmin yelled, sitting impatiently on the bed.

 

Kyuhyun poked his head out of the bathroom door, “you wouldn't!”

 

Sungmin grinned while holding up Kyuhyun's wallet, “I would.”