Chapter 15 - Double Lee

Distance At Hand

Sitting in the bar consuming alcohol, Lee Eunhyuk and Lee Donghae decided to spend the late evening together as the rest of the crew attended to their own self-isolation.

 

“How did you meet Sungmin-sshi?” asked Eunhyuk, taking a small glass into his hands and observing it closely.

 

“I don't remember,” Donghae answered, tingling his sunglasses in his fingers, “I think it had something to do with art.”

 

“Art?” Eunhyuk repeated, taking a sip out of his small glass.

 

“Yeah, I may not be able to see, but I still like visiting places with good art.”

 

Eunhyuk smiled and handed Donghae a similar glass, “it's blue,” he said as Donghae took it from his hands.

 

“Blue, huh? A beautiful color,” Donghae replied with a grin on, “I wasn't always blind, it was the effect of an accumulative activity.”

 

“Light”

 

Donghae drank the liquid in the glass and nodded, “indeed, I loved looking at the sun, no matter how much it hurt. I was attracted to everything that was bright, and it costed me.”

 

“It did, but it was worth it, wasn't it?”

 

“Definitely, now I can see things brighter than the sun itself,” Donghae replied, leaning back in his chair, “things that no one else can see.”

 

“Is that so? Like what?” Eunhyuk asked, turning to Donghae.

 

“Personalities, voices, it's a light emitted from a persons aura, feelings, so many things that so many others neglect I don't miss a bit of.”

 

“What's the brightest you have ever seen?” Eunhyuk asked.

 

“I don't think I will ever be able to see it,” Donghae groaned, “I sense it, I feel it, I've spoken to it since the first I met it, but I won't be able to see it, my blindness came a bit too early.”

 

They didn't need to speak any longer, they both knew what Donghae was referring to and it made Eunhyuk feel extraordinarily happy.

 

“Is that so? It's a pity,” Eunhyuk teased, handing Donghae another cup, “but feeling is enough, you don't need to see. Sight is sometimes more of a burden than anything else in the world.”

 

“Is that so?” Donghae answered, sighing, “but still, it still is a pity, and it will always be a regret. But I will cherish this feeling, this presence, this person. Trust me, I will.”

 

Chuckling softly, Eunhyuk took Donghae's hand into his own and started lining out several words. It was their secret, their promise to one another. They would both cherish this moment, it belonged only to them.

 

 

“Ryeowook.”

 

Ryeowook turned to find Eunhyuk approaching him hastily.

 

“Hyung, what are you in such a hurry for?”

 

Eunhyuk smiled and took a stand next to Ryeowook by the tip of the ship, “nothing.”

 

“Liar, if it was nothing then you wouldn't be so delighted,” Ryeowook said, watching some fishes in the ocean.

 

“Ok, fine, there is something, but it's a secret,” Eunhyuk laughed.

 

“Happiness,” Ryeowook said, turning back to Eunhyuk, “it's written all over your face. Donghae, that's written all over your lips.”

 

“How did you know?” Eunhyuk gasped, touching his cheeks with his hands, “Is it really?”

 

Ryeowook laughed at how simple Eunhyuk was, “no, Hyung, but we grew up together, I can read you like a book.”

 

Eunhyuk thought silently to himself for a while and decided not to inquire any further about this matter, instead he felt more like he needed to share with Ryeowook now.

 

“Ryeowook... you and Kyuhyun-”

 

“Nothing,” Ryeowook interrupted, “there's nothing between us,” he smiled.

 

Eunhyuk simply nodded.

 

It was the first time they were so quiet together. Eunhyuk searched his memories, looking for moments when they just didn't know what to say to each other but there was nothing. It had never been so silent between them before. They spoke about everything, chatted about girls, games, family, trees, birds, books, music, anything. Who changed?

 

“Wookie, I've encountered something lately,” Eunhyuk suddenly said, hanging an arm around Ryeowook's shoulder.

 

“What?”

 

“I've realized, there are a lot of things we haven't seen yet,” Eunhyuk continued, “a lot of things we haven't done, so much we haven't experienced.”

 

Ryeowook nodded, waiting for Eunhyuk to continue.

 

Looking at Ryeowook, Eunhyuk took in a deep breath before continuing, “being true to ourselves, I don't think we've tried that either.”

 

Staring straight into Eunhyuk's eyes, Ryeowook started feeling guilty for hiding so many things from him but he shook those feelings away and turned to the ocean.

 

“Just now, for example,” Eunhyuk teased, shoving Ryeowook away from himself. Ryeowook stumbled and regained his balance, laughing.

 

Eunhyuk reached out for the necklace resting on Ryeowook's chest, looking at it intensely as if it was speaking to him.

 

“Hyung, do you think we can control the future?” Ryeowook asked, taking the necklace into his hands.

 

“I don't know. You may not always succeed by trying, but if you don't try at all you will never gain success.”

 

Ryeowook watched Eunhyuk with admiration. Eunhyuk had always been the observant and understanding type of person, but somehow he was different.

 

More mature? Maybe.

 

More serious? A little bit.

 

More emotional? Probably.

 

Perhaps it was everything put together, a whole new Lee Eunhyuk.

 

This new Eunhyuk was changed, changed by the sun, the moon, the wind, the earth, the ones he loved, the ones he didn't, and himself. Most importantly, he was probably changed by Cho Kyuhyun and Lee Donghae.

 

“Double Lee,” Ryeowook uttered to himself, Eunhyuk turned to him confused, “at least you won't have to change your last name.”

 

Eunhyuk was completely lost at this point and Ryeowook didn't bother explaining, leaving him confused and curious.

 

Indeed, they had both changed a lot. There was so much they didn't understand, so much they wanted to discover, but they had to wait. Waiting... how much longer could they wait?