Chapter 12 - Mutual Understanding

Distance At Hand

“You think hyung ever celebrated his birthday after we left?” Sungmin asked, going through the cakes behind the glassed bakery.

 

“Probably not,” Kyuhyun answered, leaning over Sungmin to look at the cakes.

 

Sungmin turned around to face Kyuhyun, their faces only inches apart. Sungmin crossed his arms and peered into Kyuhyun's eyes with his fox-like eyes, “you didn't celebrate for him after I left, did you?”

 

Kyuhyun smiled innocently at Sungmin, leaning in closer, “we don't do girly stuff like that, Min.”

 

Sungmin frowned and turned back to the cakes, “what about this one?”

 

“Looks good to me,” Kyuhyun replied, taking Sungmin's hand into his own, “let's go.”

 

Sungmin followed after Kyuhyun quietly, he could hardly hide the happiness growing within him. They neglected those around them, all those staring eyes and uneasy glares. They lived in their own world, no one else existed in this world, not now.

 

“Hurry, Kyuhyun! The ships going to leave soon, we've only got a few minutes left!” Sungmin yelled running a little ahead of Kyuhyun.

 

Kyuhyun spotted some things in a shop, necklaces.

 

“You go ahead, Min, I'll be right there.”

 

Sungmin watched as Kyuhyun rushed into the shop, he wanted to join him but was afraid if he didn't board the ship, they might just leave them. If he was on the ship, he could at least make them wait several minutes longer.

 

There were two necklaces, two entirely different necklaces. One was almost like a pendant, a sapphire blue pendant, and the other was a dark violet gemstone. Both were beautiful.

 

“Miss, can I get these two over here?” Kyuhyun shouted breathlessly.

 

“Nice choices, are they for you and your lover?” she asked, packing the necklaces as fast as she could, she could tell he was in a hurry.

 

“Something like that,” he answered, “oh, can I get that watch over there too?” he pointed, then he payed her and left as quickly as he could.

 

“That was fast,” Sungmin said as Kyuhyun hopped onto the ship.

 

“I told you I'd be right behind you.”

 

“What's that?” Sungmin asked, handing Kyuhyun a bottle of water.

 

“Gifts,” Kyuhyun answered simply.

 

“For hyung?” Sungmin continued while they walked towards the lounge.

 

“Yeah, something like that,” Kyuhyun answered with a grin on.

 

They entered the lounge and reserved a private room. They decorated the room nicely and they had fun while doing it. Soon after, Heechul, Ryeowook, and Eunhyuk joined them. They wrapped their gifts and went through a menu, choosing their favorite foods.

 

No one noticed how fast time was passing, in a blink of an eye it was already four in the evening.

 

“Call him,” Sungmin said, turning to Heechul.

 

“Why don't you? I'm busy,” Heechul protested, biting off a piece of tape.

 

“He'll suspect, he knows me too well,” Sungmin replied, taking the gift and wrapping paper from Heechul, “plus, you're a better actor.”

 

“He's just trying to say you won't be suspected cause you're too heartless to prepare a birthday party for Yesung hyung,” Kyuhyun teased, taking the scissors and tape from Heechul.

 

“I didn't say that!” Sungmin explained.

 

Heechul smirked and took the cell phone out of his pocket, “it's ok, it's true.”

 

Ryeowook watched as Sungmin and Kyuhyun wrapped the present together, it was a beautiful picture. They were so in sync, in harmony, they looked so blissful that Ryeowook couldn't help but to smile to himself.

 

“I'm hungry,” Eunhyuk groaned, “the cake looks so good! When did you guys get it?”

 

Kyuhyun grinned as he turned to his brother, “we left as soon as the ship parked on the port.”

 

“We'll be able to eat soon,” Sungmin added, smiling at Eunhyuk. Eunhyuk nodded and leaned his head on Ryeowook's shoulder.

 

“Ah!” Ryeowook suddenly shouted, “I have some CD's in my room, should I bring them down?”

 

Eunhyuk nodded and Heechul volunteered to follow Ryeowook to his room, watching them leave together, Kyuhyun suddenly felt a little uneasy.

 

“You don't feel uncomfortable?” Heechul asked in a caring tone.

 

“Huh?” Ryeowook replied.

 

“Kyuhyun and Sungmin, them being together doesn't make you feel uncomfortable?” Heechul repeated.

 

Ryeowook remained silent, his cheeks were burning and his heart almost stopped. How was he found out? He thought he hid it so well.

 

“N-no, not at all,” Ryeowook answered.

 

Heechul glanced over at Ryeowook, “well, I'm glad, the boy made a good choice.”

 

Ryeowook didn't know if he should feel offended by this statement, he only continued walking forward as he felt himself shaking.

 

“Oh, don't get me wrong,” Heechul cleared his throat, “I don't mean you're a bad choice, it's just...” Heechul paused as he rubbed his neck, “sometimes some things just don't work out right.”

 

Ryeowook nodded silently, even though Heechul was being very vague, he could understand.

 

“Be happy, Ryeowook,” Heechul said as they stopped in front of Ryeowook's room, “just remember to be happy.”

 

Ryeowook looked at Heechul with a confused look.

 

“If you're happy, then Kyuhyun will be too,” Heechul explained himself, “he loves you.”

 

Ryeowook felt as if his mind was about to explode, what exactly was Heechul trying to say? He hurriedly unlocked his door and rummaged through his CD's, he felt his nose getting sour and tears were pouring out of his eyes. He didn't understand.

 

Heechul watched silently, he didn't want things to end up this way. He didn't mean to make Ryeowook cry. He just wanted Ryeowook to understand Kyuhyun, he just wanted Ryeowook to know that things are far more complicated than he could ever imagine. He wanted Ryeowook to know that he was loved by the one he loved, that was all.

 

“Sorry,” Heechul whispered as they were heading out the door, “I didn't mean to-”

 

Ryeowook shook his head and took in a deep breath, “no, it's not your fault, I understand.”

 

The rest of their trip back to the lounge was in silence, it was a kind of mutual understanding, they knew that no more words should be said because if they were, things might fall apart for both of them in ways more than one.

 

As they entered the neatly decorated room, everyone was sitting in their seats awaiting for the birthday boy. This was going to be a fun party. They all decided to themselves that they would throw away all their differences, all their problems, all their unrelated thoughts and enjoy this day together. They were a new family, a family of seven brothers; seven happy and strange brothers.