Chapter 2 - Money, Honey

Distance At Hand

It wasn't exactly what he had expected.

 

No, not only him. No one in the world would have expected such a sudden... demand.

 

“A journey?” Eunhyuk asked in surprise, his eyes growing wide, “with who?”

 

Kyuhyun tapped away on his laptop, his eyes not moving an inch away from the screen, “you.”

 

Eunhyuk leaned on the corner of the table that Kyuhyun rested his laptop on, crossing his arms, “what do you mean me? Where are you going to get the money? How do we have the time?”

 

“Time is always available if we take the effort to make it. You don't have to worry about the money, I have that covered. By you, I mean... you,” Kyuhyun answered simply.

 

Eunhyuk arched over Kyuhyun to see what he was paying so much attention to, but suddenly Ryeowook entered the room with drinks. Kyuhyun finally parted his eyes from the screen to welcome the drink.

 

“Kyuhyunnie's taking us on a trip, Wookie,” Eunhyuk lazily stated as he took a drink from Ryeowook.

 

“A trip?” He asked.

 

“Hyung, I didn't-” Kyuhyun was about to complain as Eunhyuk interrupted.

 

“It will be more fun if Wookie comes, he's just as much of a little brother to me as you are.”

 

Kyuhyun glanced over at Ryeowook, who was still dazed by the situation.

 

“What about Ga Seo?” Kyuhyun asked, raising an eyebrow. “You know she can't spend a day without Ryeowook, she'll die.”

 

Ryeowook blushed at this latter comment, sheepishly searching Eunhyuk for an answer to his previous question.

 

“Then invite her too,” Eunhyuk laughed, pinching Ryeowook's face. “You can't blame this guy for being so cute, even I don't want to leave him!”

 

“Do I look like an ATM to you? A money tree maybe?” Kyuhyun asked, rubbing his thumb and fingers together in the 'money' gesture.

 

“Ah, I can-” Ryeowook started, before being interrupted by Eunhyuk as well.

 

“No, you can't. We invited you, so we'll deal with this, Wookie.”

 

Eunhyuk glared at Kyuhyun's back for a while before Kyuhyun finally turned away from his laptop to face him. He could feel the sharp eyes piercing into his back.

 

“It's amazing how you know I don't get along well with them, yet you can still make me pay for their trip fees,” Kyuhyun wittily stated before giving up, “alright, I'll pay for her too.”

 

Eunhyuk wrapped his arms around Kyuhyun's shoulders, giving him a big bear hug. “Kyuhyunnie, you're the best!”

 

Kyuhyun almost gave a smile at the warmth his brother gave him. Enormous warmth. The warmth that Eunhyuk provided in these four years was more than he ever received growing up. But he didn't know how to smile, he didn't know what a smile that came from the heart was like. Even after observing every smile that Eunhyuk had shown him, tens and hundreds of smiles, he couldn't learn them. All his smiles were fake. Hypocritical, that's what he was.

 

“Sure,” he shrugged, returning to his work.

 

“What are you doing?” Eunhyuk asked, still hanging onto him.

 

“Stuff,” Kyuhyun replied. Kyuhyun never told Eunhyuk what he did on that laptop, no matter how many times he asked but Eunhyuk was also sensitive enough to realize what should be asked and what shouldn't, so he would never continued pushing for an answer.

 

“It's in a foreign language,” Eunhyuk murmured, looking at the screen, “you must have learned a lot with your family.”

 

Ryeowook approached them, trying to read what was on the screen. “Did you learn a lot of different languages?”

 

Kyuhyun looked at Ryeowook, who obviously was trying to figure out what language he was messing with. “Yeah, many different languages.”

 

Eunhyuk got up and hung an arm over Ryeowook's shoulder, “my Kyuhyunnie is so talented,” he proudly shouted.

 

Ryeowook smiled as Eunhyuk led him out of the room, “let's make something to eat, I'm hungry” Eunhyuk said. Ryeowook obediently followed.

 

Turning around to take one last try at figuring out what language the laptop harbored, Ryeowook caught Kyuhyun watching him. Intently. Even when their eyes met, Kyuhyun didn't budge, continuously looking into Ryeowook's eyes until they turned the corner.

 

Kyuhyun resumed his work, tapping away at the laptop. The look in Ryeowook's eyes didn't leave his mind. It wasn't terror, fear, or anger. It was empty, that's all it was, just empty.