chapter 7.

TORN.

Chapter 7

Jae In's Pov

I stared at her in shock. I totally didn't see this coming. At all.

A girl that was sitting beside me, with hair that i envy. A girl who can dance really well and might overtake me, is having stage frights.

"You can't sing in public? But.. You just danced yesterday. With me. In front of class. So how come you can dance in front of so many people but to sing, no?"

She bit her lip, obviously trying to think of an answer. "I don't know, i guess im too used to dancing?" She replied, looking at me with that innocent face. "So what do we do now? You have to take this test. Or Ms Uhm won't like you for like the whole year or possibly till graduation."

She shrugged her shoulders. We both squeezed out our brain juices within the time that was given by Ms Uhm to prepare. I snapped my fingers as soon as i thought of something.

"I know! How 'bout imagining the crowd in underwear!"  She looked at me and with that one look, we laughed at my ridiculous idea. ".. What the hell.. What if it doesn't work?" With that sentence, we're back to thinking. I tried to remember what my vocal coach used to say when i was nervous. "That's it!" Isnapped my fingers for the second time. Jina again, looked at me with that this-better-be-good facial expression. "Do you like anyone at the moment?" She seems to be taken aback at the sudden question. I could see her cheeks getting slightly pink. She started to feel uncomfortable, shifting slightly in her chair. I smiled, as i knew the answer. "Well, when you're singing, think of the person that you like and dedicate the song to him."

She nodded slowly, absorbing the information. "So all i have to do is imagine that i'm singing for him?" I smiled in victory.

"Yeap! That's all. It'll work. Don't worry, i promise. It'll be fine." we hugged after that and went to look through my ipod for songs to sing for the test.

Hyerin's POV

I got this. I got this. I was feeling really confident that i can win over Jae In in this. Afterall, i am known for my perfect angelic voice. I am going to sing my favourite song, and of course, gonna ace this test, as usual. Gayoon and Jiyoon unnie looked pretty confident, as usual. I went through the lyrics of my chosen song, making sure i didn't forget any lyrics or the key notes. I kept on drinking water, just to keep my vocal cords in the best condition. I care alot about my voice. I glanced at my opponent and smiled. I can do this.

Author's POV

Ms Uhm came up to the front and cleared . All attention is on her now. "So who would like to start first?" A hand rose up. "Alright Gina, brave of you. Come on." Gina stood up and went forward, taking the mic from Ms Uhm. She cleared and nodded at Ms Uhm, signalling her to play her music. Man, her voice is really fascinating. At the end of her song, Ms Uhm announced her score.

80/100.

"Not bad Gina, try to express more and you'll succeed." She said while patting her back. Gina nodded and went back to her seat. She shrugged and smiled.

"Alright who's next?" Jiyoon and Gayoon raised their hands up together. Ms Uhm nodded and gave the stage to them. They sang a heartfelt ballad that could bring tears to their listeners' eyes. Their scores were 90/100.

When it's over, Jina and Jae In decided to try. Jae In looked at Jina and winked. She gripped her hand, as if she was saying she believe in her. Jina closed her eyes as the music started to play.

Jina's POV

I looked at Jae In who held on my hand, holding it tight, giving me assurance that it will be alright and over soon. My palms started to sweat like crazy. Now don't get me wrong. It's not that I have never sang in front of people. It's just that something happened that made me terrified of singing in public. I'll tell the story some other time. I closed my eyes as Ms Uhm began to press play on my iPod. My thoughts were repeating what Jae In said to me. Dedicate the song to someone I like. Jae In started her lines first. I clutched the mic and raised it, waiting for the beat where I'll take over. I opened my eyes and they landed on the very person where I fell in love with. His eyes, his soft brown locks. His broad shoulders. His laughter. His gaze. He's perfect ... and taken.

I sang my whole heart out and he seems to be undisturbed that I was dedicating this song to him. He smiles and winked. Is my eyes playing tricks on me? Jae In and I then finished the chorus together. I put down my hand and bowed. Ms Uhm looked at me, smiling. She clapped her hands and patted my back. 85/100 "Well done! It's not that bad. You'll improve more. Next?" I smiled and walked back to my seat, joining Jae In who already seated. She was hugging with Kiseop. I sighed. I looked towards the very guy who had captured my heart. He was looking through his phone. When will he realise that my heart is only beating for him? I sat in between Peniel oppa and Jae In. Peniel was being all excited and stuff. I was just nodding and smiling. Suddenly he turned to me, whispered something to Peniel Oppa and exchanged seats with him. He sat beside me and my heart began beating more wildly than before. He looked into my eyes and smiled. "That's a very nice song that you sang there Sunshine. " I melted at his words and the way he said my nickname. ".. ah aniyo Oppa. When are you going to sing?" I changed the topic. I could already feel my cheeks burning red. He raised an eyebrow and smirked. "Well, after her then." He pointed to the front. I looked to the direction he was pointing at and gasped. Hyerin? Wow. She looks confident. She saw me looking at her and rolled her eyes. She nodded at Ms Uhm who was smiling way brightly that probably more bright compared to the sun.

Hyerin's POV

I geared up for my stage. Singing is a really big deal to me. I was born with a special gift. My mother used to support me in everything I do. Singing competitions. Anything. You name it. I am not Song Hyerin the best vocalist in Cube Academy for nothing. I actually worked my off to get this title. Enough talk. I walked towards the front and grabbed a mic. I saw one of the new guys pointing at me. Then I saw Jina looking at me. I had to roll my eyes to show her who's boss. It's not that im rude or anything. She's my competition alright? Okay hyerin, get your head in the game. As soon as the song starts, I sang my heart out. Putting the different emotions into different parts of the song. When I sing is the only time where I feel free. I ended with a perfect note and smiled. The whole class clapped and cheered for me. I bowed and saw Jina and that guy smiling at me. I guess I'm probably wrong about them. Ms Uhm looked at me and clapped the loudest. 95/100 "Once again, the best in my vocal class. Well done. You were great. Like always. " I smiled and went back to my seat. Gayoon and Jiyoon unnie smiled at me, knowing I did them proud.

Author's POV

Soon enough, classes were finally over. Jae In and Jina made their way out of the music room, smiling to the fact that they had gotten closer with the passion they shared. Jae In bid farewell to Jina once both of them reach the school gates. It was time for them to part. Well, only for today. They exchanged numbers and Jae In left with Kiseop, to meet the rest of UKISS. Jina stood there alone outside the school gates, since Peniel, Ilhoon and Sungjae went to the cafeteria to get some food. She looked at her phone. No messages. She texted Changsub repeatedly.

Oppa, where are you T.T 

No reply. Suddenly someone tapped her shoulder. She turned and was taken aback by the sight. 

 

To be continued ....