Chapter 3 - I Miss You

Things are not the same anymore

The next morning when I was still sleeping I felt something gently touch my cheek. The next minute I opened my eyes I saw Donghae, his fingers on my face. He was standing by the bed in a bright outfit; ready to start his debut.

 

“Hyukkie sorry to wake you up… I am… leaving now…” He looked at me and said. Oh no… Why is he still wearing a sad face?

 

“So Donghae you’re ready? Do your best OK?” I tried my best to encourage him.

 

He nodded and slowly turned to leave. When he reached the door he said, without looking back. “We will stay as friends right?”

 

“Of course…” I got up and gave him a back hug. “Don’t think too much. We were just kidding yesterday.”

 

“I know… And I know I will miss you a lot Hyukkie…” It’s like he wanted to cry again.

 

I hugged him tighter and then decided to push him out of the dorm. Otherwise I was not sure if he could manage to leave at all. “I will miss you too.” I said.

 

I quickly closed the door and leaned against it. Donghae pls don’t make this so difficult…

 

At that moment I thought to myself. So Donghae was about to make his debut. He would move out the dorm soon and I would get a new dorm mate probably. Hopefully the new dorm mate could be someone independent so that I could have more quiet time.

 

As usual I took a shower and went to the kitchen for breakfast. I sat down at the table and… suddenly I realized the chair opposite was empty. Donghae and I used to prepare and have breakfast together. To be honest he was not a good helper (got things overcooked every time and broke the plates a couple of times). Most of the time he only leaned on me and insisted he was helping. However without him the kitchen was so empty and… wrong…Why?

 

I quickly finished my breakfast and got into my room to change. This time it only took me 15 mins because… there was no Donghae to bother me. As I said he never bothered to knock. And magically he always managed to find the best (or worst) time to interrupt. When my hair was done he messed it up so that I had to do it again. When I put on a hat he pulled it low to cover my eyes. When I was putting on a jacket with one arm inside he held the other side and attempted to put it on himself. This morning I looked into the mirror and saw only me, without Donghae beside me with his arms around me. Again the mirror was so empty and… wrong…Again why?

 

Since it was still early (without Donghae disturbing me) I decided to watch the news on TV before going out. I switched it on and turned to walk over to the couch. Out of the corner of my eyes I thought I saw Donghae on TV. I quickly looked at the screen again. My eyes must be playing tricks. Slowly I settled myself on the couch. Moments later I realized something was missing… Donghae was not leaning on me. And again the couch was so empty and… wrong… And again why?

 

Later that morning I was in a modern pop music workshop. The guest speaker was there telling us different pop music trends in places like Korea, Japan, Taiwan, US… etc. I wonder what Donghae is doing right now… Maybe on his way with his band mates to the show? ...

 

Somebody suddenly patted my shoulder. I looked up and saw Junsu. ”Why are you still sitting here Hyukkie? Everybody has left and we are supposed to go to the next workshop now.”

 

It took me a few seconds to react. I quickly followed Junsu to the next seminar room.

 

And then it was acting class in the afternoon. The other group was presenting their mini drama in front us. I sat there and looked at them. Is Donghae getting along well with his band mates? I hope he stops being childish in front of them…

 

“Lee Hyukjae. Lee Hyukjae!!” Mr. Jung knocked on my table with his fist and I almost jumped. At that moment I saw other classmates were looking at me as well; Junsu among them with concerned and bewildered expression on his face.

 

“I was asking if your group can be next. Stop day-dreaming!”

 

“Yes. Sorry…” I lowered my head and answered.

 

Gosh Lee Hyukjae what are you doing?

 

You miss him.

 

No. I don’t. Of course not.

 

Yes you do. Who are you thinking about now?

 

……

 

Dinner time came. I was sitting alone in a fast food store and staring into my cellphone. For the last 15 mins I was struggling if I should send Donghae a message. But what should I write? It’s so weird… Actually I better not disturb him. He’s already made this difficult enough…

 

Lee Hyukjae you need to get this over!!

 

I stood up and quickly set off to the place where I knew I could get my mind cleared.

 

It’s SM Entertainment building, 3rdfloor, room 327, the dance studio. I walked in; selected my favorite piece and pressed “play”.

 

The music began.

 

I turned. I jumped. I swirled. I hopped.

 

I lost track of time and buried myself in the dance. My body moved with the rhythm. My feet slid on the floor echoing the melody. It was like there was nothing left in the whole world but me and the music and the dance. I danced until my heartbeat synchronized with the tempo; until the sound wave flowed smoothly through my blood; until I was completely dissolved in the fluid movements; until the music and I became one.

 

And on and on I danced…

 

The music stopped.

 

I halted. I panted. I looked up at the ceiling and I closed my eyes.

 

All of a sudden the spell was cast. No kidding. I couldn’t move anymore.

 

Standing behind me, someone covered my eyes with his left hand and wrapped his right arm around my chest. The person whispered into my ear. “You’re just amazing! Guess who I am?” He gently kissed my cheek which froze me even further. I knew it’s you the moment you touched me. Who else could cast such a spell on me?

 

While I didn’t move for some time, the person slowly released me and asked. “Hyukkie?” And at that moment the spell was lifted.

 

I turned around to look at him, Donghae the spell caster. I was still panting and my heartbeat refused to slow down; reminding me how happy I was seeing him. And I very much wanted to tell him I missed him. But Hyukjae you should let Donghae focus on his debut. Telling him that would only distract him…

 

Instead I just smiled. “Donghae how was your day?”

 

Donghae had a broad grin on his face. “Guess what Hyukkie. My debut was cancelled!”

 

I was still confused. “W… What?” Why?”

 

“I don’t know why either. At the end they just cancelled it! The only thing I know is I’m back!” He was smiling like an angel again.

 

No matter how much I wanted to deny, I was so relieved by the news. Slowly I grabbed his shoulder, pulled him towards me and wrapped him tight in my arms. “Hae… I… missed you… Really…”I was close to tears when I whispered softly, burying my face in his shoulder.

 

Lee Hyukjae you are just stupid. Why did it take you so long to realize this? That Donghae is already part of your life.

 

Donghae was too surprised to move at first. Moments later he leaned his chin on my shoulder and hugged me back. “And I’m so glad I can stay with you Hyukkie.” He kissed my cheek again.

 

And for no idea how long we were there holding onto each other; neither of us wanted to let go.

 

I really hoped things would not change, that Donghae and I would stay together forever…

 

I really hoped…

 

 

--------------------------------------------

A/N: I myself was not satified with chapter 2. And I just couldn't stand having it out there for long!!! So here you go chapter 3. It's a better chapter to me. Enjoy~~