Chapter 4 - I Promise

Things are not the same anymore

That was a special day. It was Donghae’s birthday.

 

For the past few years I celebrated his birthday with him (well kind of) but had never prepared him any present. The reason being… I really had no spare money. I was just a poor SM Entertainment trainee…

 

The day before I wandered in the streets for a long time. Nevertheless I couldn’t find anything which was nice and at the same time could be afforded by me. Sighing deeply I returned to the dorm.

 

I entered and closed the door. Out of nowhere Donghae just popped out and hugged me. “Hyukkie welcome back!!”

 

I smiled because I was glad to see Donghae. But it was a weak smile since I knew what he was going to say.

 

“Hyukkie you know what day tomorrow is?” He looked at me with eyes like sparkling jewels.

 

“Tomorrow is Friday and I will need to hand in the lyrics.” I suppressed a chuckle and started walking towards my room.

 

Donghae refused to release me. He turned me around and pressed his forehead against mine. I gulped when he stared right into my eyes. “Hyukkie… You know there is something much much more important than the lyrics. And you know how much you will regret if you dare to forget that something?” He let out an evil grin (yes an evil grin from a smiling angel) and the next minute he pressed my ticklish point.

 

“Gosh! Stop it! Hae!” I struggled to break free and pushed him away. We began chasing each other in the dorm. Later on that turned into a pillow fight in his room; which was then extended to my room and then to the rest of the dorm. Finally we both collapsed onto the couch panting.

 

I looked at him and he looked at me. Moments later Donghae slowly crawled onto me and softly he said. “Hyukkie ah…”

 

“W… What?” I looked at him and could feel the spell again.

 

He lowered his head and spoke beside my ear. “I want you to know this Hyukkie. I really, really like you.” He chuckled and gently kissed me on my cheek.

 

After that Donghae closed his eyes and continued lying on me. Having fallen under his spell I could only remain still with eyes open… until he released me.

 

Donghae’s birthday came.

 

I took Donghae to the canteen for lunch. I was careful not to bring up the birthday topic. When the 2 of us had finished I excused myself.

 

I went out, grabbed the birthday cake and turned off the lights in the canteen. Others inside would surely be surprised but I was pretty sure they wouldn’t mind. I told our other friends to walk in front of me to the table where Donghae was. After the happy birthday song was over they parted and I walked towards Donghae with the birthday cake.

 

“Donghae. Happy birthday! Make a wish!” I said.

 

I couldn’t help chuckling seeing him there like a kid, wearing an adorable smile. It was a surprise of course but I expected he would have guessed it? Anyway I couldn’t complain about him being happy.

 

He looked at me; held my eyes for some time before closing his. Moments later he opened his eyes and blew out the candles. When I was placing the cake onto the table he leaned in to talk to me. “Hyukkie my birthday wish is about us.”

 

I gave him a questioning look. He just shook his head. “No I cannot tell you. Otherwise it’s not going to come true.” From the look on his face he was very serious about that.

 

Others started giving Donghae presents while I got more and more nervous and uneasy. I really wanted to just sneak out at that moment.

 

At the end Donghae (and all others) looked at me. I gulped before I spoke. “Sorry… Donghae…” I looked down.

 

Donghae wrapped his arms around me. “It’s OK Hyukkie. I thank you all the same.”

 

Even though he said that, I couldn’t help noticing disappointment from the corner of his eyes. And that pained me a lot.

 

That evening we went back to the dorm together. I helped him carry the presents he got. Once inside the dorm he immediately sat down on the floor and began unpacking; again like a kid.

 

“Wow my favorite album! Leeteuk really remembers that!” He exclaimed in joy.

 

“A fishy hat? Why would somebody give me that?” He frowned.

 

I was sitting on the couch watching him. I think I know why you got a fishy hat…

 

It was like there was a prick in my heart and I had to get it out. I walked to sit down opposite him and said. “Donghae… I’m sorry… I tried but…”

 

Donghae glanced up to look at me. “Hyukkie I told you it’s OK.”

 

“No it’s not OK for me. I feel very sorry… that I couldn’t afford your birthday present…” I looked down and could feel my cheeks burning.

 

“Maybe you can give me a kiss?” Donghae’s eyes brightened.

 

I rolled my eyes upon hearing his unpredictable request. But the next moment I saw his pouted expression with pleading puppy dog eyes.

 

My heart just melted without the slightest ability to protest. Hesitantly I leaned forward while he closed his eyes. Gosh it’s the first time I ever kiss a guy!! Gently I gave him a quick peck on his cheek.

 

He smiled before opening his eyes to look at me.

 

Donghae looked at me for some time. Suddenly he stood up; dragging me up at the same time. He put his hands on my shoulders and slowly pushed to pin me onto the wall. “Actually Hyukkie… there’s one thing I really want from you.”

 

We locked our eyes with each other. “And what would that be?” I asked, on the one hand guessing what would come up from his unpredictable mind; and on the other hand silently praying that it wouldn’t be something I’m unable to.

 

With the angelic smile on his face Donghae said. “Hyukkie I want a promise from you. Or from us.”

 

Seeing me frown he continued. “Promise me you will never leave me. Promise me we will always be there for each other. Promise me we will stay together forever. No matter what lies ahead, how fate leads us, we will strive to continue loving each other; to fight our path forward side by side; to never let go of each other. Is that OK? ...  Promise me pls? … Hyukkie?”

 

I stood there looking at him, his beautiful eyes overflowing with sincerity, love and affections. Seriously I was tempted to immediately say yes. This is serious. Lee Hyukjae, are you capable of that? Think twice and make sure you will keep the promise…

 

Not knowing how long it took me. It’s not that I was not willing to make the promise. In fact I really wanted to. It’s just I knew Donghae was being serious and I had to take this seriously.

 

At one point a hurt expression crossed Donghae’s face. He looked down and was about to cry. Seeing that was like a sword piercing my heart. I immediately embraced him and said firmly. “Donghae no don’t cry! I promise. I just wanted to make sure I can and will really do this. Sorry it took me so long. I promise you. Sincerely I promise you.”

 

I could sense relief and joy slowly filled Donghae’s body. He rested his head on my shoulder and hugged me so tight that I could clearly feel his heartbeat. Tears escaped his eyes. “Thanks Hyukkie… I’m more than glad… You’ve just given me the best present… I’m so grateful…”

 

Tightening my grip on him, I closed my eyes and repeated in my heart the promise I just made.

 

Donghae I promise I will never leave you. I promise I will always be there for you; and we will stay together forever. No matter what lies ahead, how fate leads us, I promise I will always love you. I will fight the path forward with you. I will never let go of you.

 

I really thought I would never break that promise…

 

I really thought…

 

 

-------------------------------------

A/N: Sorry to keep you waiting!! And I promise I will continue working on the story!! ^^