Chapter 1 - Smiling Angel

Things are not the same anymore

It was a beautiful spring day when I first met Donghae. I was still a trainee in SM entertainment and was on my way there in a subway. While I was staring aimlessly out the window I suddenly got the feeling that somebody was looking at me.

 

I looked around and saw him, smiling like an angel. My eyes lingered on his face for a moment too long and all of a sudden he winked. I quickly turned to see if there’s somebody behind me. Since I couldn’t see any I turned to face him again. My hand automatically touched my face to check if there’s anything there making my face worth looking at.

 

Seeing that his sweet smile turned into a chuckle; and at that moment my heart skipped a beat. He’s really beautiful…

 

We got off at the same station. It turned out that he’s also a trainee like me. We walked together towards the building.

 

“Excuse me… do we… know each other?” I asked.

 

“I’ve seen you dance. You’re wonderful. Maybe… I am your fan!” His eyes brightened as he smiled.

 

“Thanks… actually… I’m not that good…” Even though I said that; I couldn’t help but looked down and smiled.

 

He put his arm around my shoulder and said. “Come on! Don’t be shy. You’re really wonderful!”

 

We maintained that gesture as we entered the building when I heard somebody called me. “Hyukkie!!” I turned around and saw Junsu running towards us.

 

“Oh Junsu!!” I walked over to Junsu and we hugged each other. After some time I heard Donghae clear his throat in a way which was unnecessarily loud. Both Junsu and I were bewildered when we broke our hug and looked at Donghae.

 

Donghae put his hand over my shoulder and pulled me slightly away from Junsu. He extended his other hand and said. “Hi I am Donghae. Nice to meet you.”

 

“Hi… I am Junsu… Nice to meet you…” Junsu gave me a questioning look while he shook hand with Donghae. I could only shrug as I had no idea why Donghae seemed a bit irritated.

 

Even though what just happened was a bit awkward, Donghae and I soon became close. We were of the same age and considering the fact that he moved all the way from Mokpo to Seoul on his own; I thought I should take care of him.

 

He was fun to be with. He never failed to surprise or cheer up others with his unpredictable, sometimes childish, behavior. It’s just... sometimes I found him a bit too clingy. Donghae could never leave me alone for long, no matter if I was doing something on my own or with other people. It got more obvious after we got assigned the same dorm.

 

I was memorizing the script in my room in preparation of the acting class tomorrow. Donghae opened the door and came in. He never bothered to knock or announce his coming and I thought it’s very likely that he considered my room part of his place already.

 

“Donghae I need to memorize the script now…” I tried to make him understand I needed some time on my own.

 

Before I could finish he said “I know.” and refused to move.

 

“OK Donghae. What do you want? Why are you here?” I sighed.

 

He looked at me and said. “Because I want to see you.”

 

“Now you have seen me. Could you leave? I need some time on my own.” I said.

 

“No.” As childish as he could be he just pouted and gave me those pleading puppy dog eyes. He really knew his weapons very well.

 

Finally I gave in and said. “OK you can stay. Just do not disturb me OK?”

 

“OK!” Happily he sat and leaned on my shoulder as I tried to concentrate on the script again.

 

Thankfully he kept his promise and didn’t disturb me. Some time later he got up and I thought he was leaving. Instead he just crawled onto my bed and slept there. I didn’t stop him as I was still working on the script.

 

Finally I was done. Donghae was still sleeping. I walked over to pat him. “Donghae get up. I need to sleep now.” He just rolled over and groaned but refused to move.

 

I tried and at the end realized my effort was futile. I pushed him in a little and slept beside him on my bed.

 

The next morning I had forgotten about him sleeping beside me. When I woke up and saw him I was shocked and rolled out of bed. I let out a moan as I landed heavily on the floor.

 

“Heehee~~~ you are so cute!!” He chuckled when he looked at me from the bed; on which he was still lying.

 

I got up and looked at him, a bit annoyed. “Shut up! It’s all because of you!” I started walking out of the room.

 

He quickly jumped out of bed and hugged me tight from behind. “Hyukkie don’t get mad~~ I would do whatever you want~~” With that my heart melted. I had to admit I could never be mad at him for long.

 

The next day I went out to dinner with Junsu after finishing all training programs. When we were happily talking about all funny things happening in various training workshops, suddenly my phone beeped. Both of us rolled our eyes knowing perfectly well who the caller was.

 

I flipped open my cellphone and sighed. “Donghae. What is it?”

 

“Hyukkie where are you?” I could imagine him pouting with those pleading puppy dog eyes.

 

“At the usual place having dinner with Junsu. And I will be back soon. Why don’t you…” Before I could finish he cut me off. “NO! I am coming now!” With that he hanged up.

 

“Your fan is really into you. Hyukkie.” Junsu said teasingly.

 

“Gosh! Stop it Junsu!” I felt totally defeated as I rested my forehead on the table.

 

“Be nice to your fan. Guess I should get going now or else your little fan would get jealous.” Junsu stood up and patted my shoulder. Knowing perfectly well what a jealous Donghae looked like I nodded reluctantly.

 

Moments later Donghae appeared. He hadn’t had dinner yet so I just sat there watching him eat. He didn’t say anything either but just enjoyed his food and from time to time looked up to smile at me.

 

None of us broke the silence when we walked together through a park which was on our way back to the dorm. I was wondering how I could make him understand it’s OK not to be around me all the time.

 

Instead it’s Donghae who spoke first. “Hyukkie… do you… find me annoying?”

 

I looked at him while he was biting his lip and looking down. “No. Of course not.” Was that a lie? But it felt so right those words just came out…

 

“Then… am I…” Donghae stopped walking.

 

I stopped to look at him. Again the words just came out automatically. I had no idea where they came from. “You’re like a smiling angel.” I said.

 

He suddenly kneeled down with his hands on his stomach. At first I thought he’s feeling unwell. It turned out he’s only laughing. He laughed out loud and I started laughing as well.

 

Moments later he took a few deep breaths and got up. He rested his chin on my shoulder and walked to stand behind me. “Hyukkie I’m YOUR smiling angel. Now piggyback me home.” Without waiting for my consent he wrapped his arms around my neck.

 

“What? Why?” I was shocked. This guy was just unpredictable.

 

“Because you made me laugh so hard I am exhausted now.” He whispered beside my ear.

 

“OK. OK!” I sighed. Sometimes I thought Donghae could cast spells. Once again I gave in to his request without knowing why.

 

I carried him on my back and started walking.

 

“Hyukkie I wish this road would last forever…” After some time he said.

 

“No Donghae. You’re heavy!!”

 

He held me tighter and buried his face in my shoulder without saying anything.

 

The road did not last forever…

 

And… things were not the same anymore…