Chapter 2 - "You need somebody like him"

Things are not the same anymore

“Nina I promise I will make it next weekend. Pls don’t be upset. OK?” I pleaded sincerely over my cellphone.

 

“……”

 

“Please? I love you… OK?” I pleaded again as there was no answer.

 

“… OK… and I have to go now.” Without waiting for my response she hanged up. I could only look up and sigh.

 

“Who’s Nina?” I almost jumped upon hearing Donghae behind me.

 

“Gosh! When did you come into my room? You scared me!” I turned around to face him. Again he didn’t announce his coming.

 

“Who’s Nina?” Donghae asked again; ignoring my protests.

 

“She’s my girlfriend.” I sighed and at the same time got up to crawl onto my bed, burying my face in the pillow.

 

“You have a girlfriend?” Donghae almost screamed.

 

I turned to look at him who was wearing a facial expression like he just heard the most shocking news in the world. “Why are you so surprised upon hearing I have a girlfriend? You don’t think I am good enough to have one?”

 

“What kind of girl is she?” Donghae asked like he didn’t hear what I just said.

 

I rolled over to stare into the ceiling. “She’s the best…”

 

“Better than me?” He asked suddenly.

 

I frowned when I looked at him and answered. “What are you talking about? You’re a guy and she’s a girl.”

 

“So she’s better than me?” Again he asked like he didn’t hear what I just said.

 

“OK she’s the best girlfriend and you’re the best boyfriend. Is that OK? Are you happy now?” I sighed.

 

“Better.” Donghae said. This guy was just unpredictable.

 

Things were not working out very well between Nina and me. Since I got into SM Entertainment we hardly had time to meet up. I was in Seoul and she moved back to Suwon. Due to packed trainings I could only meet her maybe once in a month.

 

And here we were, sitting in a café in silence. I could see what was coming when she was about to speak.

 

“No. Don’t say it.” I tried to stop that.

 

“Let’s break up.”

 

“Nina…”

 

“Look. We can hardly meet or spend time together…” I knew she would say that.

 

“But Nina I really tried my best to allocate time for us. It’s just…” I stopped when she suddenly took my hand and looked into my eyes.

 

“Hyukkie. I know you tried. And I understand your dream of becoming a famous artist. But our paths don’t cross anymore. I appreciate what you did for me. Nevertheless you are becoming more and more like a stranger to me. You’re no longer part of my life…” She stopped when tears started streaming down my cheeks.

 

And my phone beeped. I took a deep breath before answering. “Donghae. I really cannot deal with you now. Sorry.” Without giving him chance to protest I hanged up.

 

“You should find somebody like him.” Nina said all of a sudden.

 

I was really shocked. “What? What do you mean?”

 

“I mean you need somebody like him who can always be by your side, who can walk the path forward with you together, who… loves you more than I do…” She trailed off and I couldn’t control my tears anymore.

 

After some time she gripped my hand a bit tighter and said. “Promise me you will live happily, and work hard to become a super star OK?” She looked at me one last time and left.

 

For some time I couldn’t do anything but continued sitting there. At the end I gathered myself up and headed back to the dorm. As I expected, Donghae was waiting for me. I could imagine his pouted expression with pleading puppy dog eyes. Ignoring those I walked straight into my room and said. “Donghae. Please. I really need some time on my own.”

 

Once in my room I threw myself onto my bed and buried my face in the pillow. I couldn’t hold it anymore and silently I cried.

 

I sobbed for no idea how long. Suddenly I felt somebody lay down behind me and hugged me softly. Donghae whispered beside my ear. “Hyukkie… Don’t cry… When you cry I want to cry too.” He really did as I could feel his tears on my face.

 

Slowly I rolled over and buried myself in his embrace. Before that day I could never imagine Donghae would be the one to give me comfort. However that moment I felt so warm, protected and loved with his arms wrapped around me. I held him tight and let out my emotions without holding back while he patted my back gently. Nina’s words echoed in my mind. You need somebody like him…

 

A few days later I reached the dorm in the evening and found Junsu and other trainees there. I gave Junsu a questioning look. “You haven’t heard? Donghae has got the chance to make debut.” Junsu said.

 

“Oh really?” I was really excited for Donghae when I rushed into his room. And I admitted this time I forgot to knock or announce my coming as well.

 

“Donghae! What a news! Congratulations!” I gave him a big hug upon seeing him. Contrary to what I expected, he didn’t hug me back in his usual cheerful way. Instead he only patted my shoulder and said. “Thank you.”

 

Nevertheless we had a celebration party for him that evening in the dorm. Everybody was happy but… Donghae, who should be the happiest one, was like something’s bothering him.

 

I thought maybe he’s worried about what’s going to come. To cheer him up I asked for Junsu’s help to tease Donghae a little. We walked up to him and I said. “Donghae. Don’t worry about tomorrow but just enjoy the party OK?”

 

“Yes from tomorrow onwards you will become famous Donghae.’ Junsu said.

 

“Yes and after tonite we may not see each other again.” I pouted when I said that.

 

“Why?” Junsu pretended to be surprised.

 

“They said people will change once they become famous. Donghae will not remember us anymore.” I pretended to be sad as well.

 

“Do you mean…” Junsu stopped when Donghae suddenly left and rushed into the bathroom.

 

Okay so it was a lame joke. I walked over to check on Donghae. When I was standing outside the bathroom I could hear him sobbing inside. Oh come on… we were only joking…

 

Just when I was about to open the door I heard him punch his fist heavily against the wall. “I will not change!” He cried out loud.

 

The next minute he opened the door and saw me. In the blink of an eye I was wrapped in his arms and pinned onto the wall behind. I patted him gently on his back and said. “Donghae we were only joking. Sorry…”

 

“No I will not change! I don’t want things to change!” All he could do was to repeat those words and continue sobbing. Everyone in the dorm was shocked. After a while they all came to comfort Donghae.

 

When the party was over I went back to my room to sleep. I was shocked when Donghae suddenly came in, jumped onto my bed and held me tight. “Hey Donghae what are you doing?” I struggled to break free. But when I felt his tears streaming down my cheek I stopped.

 

“… Donghae…”

 

“Pls Hyukkie… Allow me to stay here… I don’t want to leave you…” Softly he said between his sobs.

 

I rolled over to face him. “Donghae. You just got the chance we all dream about. You should be happy.”

 

“But … I… don’t want to leave you… Hyukkie…” He buried his face in my shoulder and held me tight like he was about to lose me.

 

I hugged him back and said. “Donghae things will keep moving on. For sure we will stay as friends…”

 

“NO! I don’t want things to change!! I don’t!” It’s like I just triggered something in him and he cried even louder. Seeing that I just bit my lip and hugged him tight.

 

Slowly he drifted off to sleep. Once in a while he would murmur. “I don’t want things to change…”

 

I looked at him while he slept; and gave him my best wishes in my heart. Donghae you will take the chance and shine. Be happy. And things will keep moving on…

 

Things did keep moving on. Indeed things were not the same anymore…

 

------------------------------------------------

A/N: A fair chapter I would say. As I said the pace would be slower in this story... pls try your best to enjoy it~~~