Feelings

When Cupid Strikes Again

 

 

Lu Han's POV

 

It was finally lunch time and I get to see Sehun once again. I wondered if he told Jongin I invited him to bubble tea later. As much as I like having Jongin around, I wanted to spend some alone time with Sehun since we don’t really know much about each other. I wanted to know Sehun more because I wanted to make sure that I really liked him. So if Jongin would accompany us later, I think there would really be no point in executing my plan to get close with him. After all, Sehun thought that I have a thing for Jongin which was true... a few days ago.

“Hyung, where are you going?” I stopped on my tracks and looked around. I realized that I was on my way to the school park instead of the cafeteria. I looked back to see Baekhyun, Kyungsoo and Jongdae eyeing me suspiciously.

I scratched the back of my neck and smiled sheepishly. “Oops, sorry. I was daydreaming.” Baekhyun smiled knowingly and I felt my cheeks. “It’s not what you think.” I quickly defended for myself.

The trio simply nodded and Jongdae was the one to retort. “Uh-huh. Like we’ll fall for that.”

“It’s true! It’s not who you think it is!” I blurted out without any second thoughts and when I realized what I just said, my face became hotter than it already was.

“You mean, there’s another one?” Jongdae feigned shock.

I quickly ran past them and into the cafeteria, ignoring their questioning looks. I saw Yixing together with Jongin falling in line and went towards them. “Hey, guys.”

“Oh.” Jongin seemed surprised to see me but still smiled. Did Sehun say anything to him? “Hi, hyung.”

“Ge, you’re here. What do you want to eat?” Lay greeted me in Chinese and it had Jongin opening his mouth wide enough for a fly to enter. “Excuse me, a Korean’s standing between you.”

“Sorry, Jongin-ah. We’ve been used to speaking with each other in Chinese since we see each other every day.” Lay smiled remorsefully.

“He was just asking me what I wanted to eat. No need to worry about being talked about.” I ruffled Jongin’s hair and Jongin slapped my hand away playfully.

“Stop it, hyung. You know how I am with my hair.” The three of us laughed. Then I remembered something.

“Where’s Minseok?” I looked around but it was not the puffy-cheeked friend of ours I was really looking for. What my eyes were scanning the cafeteria for was a certain mushroom head that I’ve grown to like.

“Oh, he’s already seated with Chanyeol and the others. There.” He pointed out to a table at the far end of the cafeteria and I scanned the table. Yes, there was Minseok and Chanyeol who was surprisingly seated with Baekhyun already. Isn’t Baekhyun going to buy food? But my mushroom boy was nowehere to be found. “And Sehun…” I looked at Jongin expectantly and I was a bit taken aback when I saw a smug look on Jongin’s face. “I don’t know where he is. He left before the bell rang.”

“Oh.” I simply said and looked up at the menu, suddenly finding it interesting. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Lay nudge Jongin’s shoulder and Jongin smiled.

“I think I’ll just have a tuna sandwich.” I told the lady behind the counter when it was my turn to order. She punched a few buttons in the cash register before putting a sandwich on my tray and looking at me. I handed her the exact amount and immediately made my way to my friends’ table.

“Hey, hyung. No appetite for today?” Chanyeol asked, a pout on his face.

“Yeah, I’m not that hungry.” I gave him a small smile before sitting beside his boyfriend.

“Hyung, you still haven’t given me an explanation.” Baekhyun whispered as soon as I was seated.

I didn’t look at him in the eye and instead carefully took out my sandwich from its wrapper when I answered, “W-What explanation? I didn’t say anything.”

I felt Baekhyun’s eyes bore into my soul, like he was carefully expecting everything about me. “Yes, you did. Something along the lines of ‘I have someone new I like’.”

“That’s not what I said! I said ‘it wasn’t what you think it was’.” I blurted out once again, regret slowly creeping at the back of my mind. Me and my stupid mouth.

“Which exactly is the same as you admitting you like someone else.” Baekhyun smiled conceitedly.

“No, it’s not.” I mumbled as I took a bite of the tuna sandwich.

“Yeah, right. If I knew better, you must like someone new. Like Sehun, maybe. Or Mi---” Mentioning Sehun’s name got me choking on the tuna sandwich I was eating. Everyone’s attention turned to me, even Jongin and Lay who were about to take a seat. Baekhyun patted my back carefully while Kris passed a cup of water to me. I drank the water to push the big piece of sandwich down my throat. After a few gulps and pats, my breathing came back to normal but my face felt like it was red as a tomato.

“I’m okay. I’m okay.” I waved them off. They all heaved a sigh of relief before returning to eating.

Baekhyun leaned closer to me and whispered, “So is it Sehun?”

I looked at him wide-eyed and I found Baekhyun smiling shrewdly. I didn’t respond and continued to eat the tuna sandwich on hand that suddenly tasted bland.

 

When everyone was finished eating, we decided to go out to the park for some fresh air since we still had a few minutes to spare. Our big group of boys walked together in a straight line, earning some few lingering stares from other students. Since our group of twelve boys got together, we were kind of the “talk of the town”. Twelve handsome boys from different departments all together. How can they all hang out together and make every girl hyperventilate every time they pass by? That was how they perceived our group so we weren’t surprised anymore to hear a few girls gasping as we walked around like ‘supermodels’.

Chanyeol, however, was still surprised and a little bit too happy with the attention.

“Wow, so many girls looking at us.” He said animatedly. I didn’t have to look at Chanyeol to know what was coming next. A loud whack was heard and Baekhyun’s nagging followed. “You like the attention? Then, go flaunt your ‘awesomeness’ to all the girls passing by.”

This was normal routine so we knew that Baekhyun would be ‘walking away’ and Chanyeol would follow him like a little duckling before clinging and begging Baekhyun to take him back. Then Baekhyun would smile so blindingly bright and be on lovey-dovey mode once again with Chanyeol. Some of us, including me, were already making unreadable expressions as their little show became a little bit too disgusting for our liking. “Please, get a room.” Kyungsoo groaned and Baekhyun only stuck out a tongue at him. He was about to go back to hugging his Chanyeol when his eyes met mine. Oh no.

“Chanyeol, I have to talk to Lu Han hyung.” Chanyeol nodded and smiled at me.

“Baekhyun-ah. Is is really that important to find out who I like that you are risking the few times you’re with Chanyeol just to bother me?” I grumbled and Baekhyun gave me another dazzling smile before nodding.

“So… is it Sehun?” He finally asked when we got to the park. The others were already seated around a big table but Baekhyun told them we’d be roaming around for a while so we were now walking towards the inner part of the park.

“I don’t know, Baekhyun.” I started. “I mean, it was just weeks ago when I found myself liking on Jongin but…” My voice trailed off as I remember that day of their performance, the day I finally set my eyes on Sehun.

“Well… since it was just a crush, it could easily change. So it’s normal if you suddenly have a change of heart.” He smiled, looking at me in the eyes.

“But… why Sehun? He doesn’t really fit my list of potential crushes.” I asked, more to myself than to Baekhyun.

“What is your ideal type, anyways?” Baekhyun looked at me questioningly.

As we continued our walk around the park, we found a bench and sat.

“Well, someone like Jongin. For looks…” My fingers started tapping my lips as I thought deep. The image of Jongin started floating in my mind. “He has to be manly, muscular but not too much. Oh, and a cute smile. For personality, someone nice and caring. Someone who gets my sense of humor and rides with my mood swings. Mature enough to understand me.”

“That’s quite the usual ideal type of people. And I don’t think Sehun is disqualified from your list.” Baekhyun said.

“What? He’s disqualified in every part. He doesn’t look manly at all. He’s so white and… and pretty!” I flailed my arms as I explain. “And he always has this look on his face that screams “Don’t talk to me!” and he is definitely not nice and humorous. Whenever I joke, he would put on this poker face.”

I suddenly felt hyper talking about Sehun’s flaws and continued. “He’s very serious most of the time. He doesn’t smile around me. He never greets me when he sees me and just looks at me. We never really talk with each other unless Jongin decides to bring the three of us in a conversation. He’s not… He’s really not my type.” I whined as I said the last sentence.

“But you like him?” Baekhyun asked, there was a hint of mischief and curiosity in his eyes as they met mine.

As I thought of his question, every flaw that I had just pointed out went down the drain as the image of Sehun’s dazzling smile he gave me during our duet flashed through my mind. With a sigh, I nodded in defeat.

“Then there’s really no problem with it. You like him. Period.” Baekhyun smiled encouragingly at me while he lightly squeezed my shoulder with his hand.

“But, Sehun knows I like Jo--- Sehun?” I squinted my eyes as a familiar figure sitting on a bench underneath a big tree nearby stretched his arms.

Baekhyun looked around to look for the boy I just mentioned and I pointed out to the big tree.

“Oh, it is Sehun.” Baekhyun exclaimed.

“I wonder what he’s doing there alone.” I nonchalantly said.

“Why don’t you find out?” Baekhyun smiled at me. I opened my mouth to find an excuse not to but he was already pushing me off the bench. “Go on. I want to spend a minute or two with my Chanyeol before bell rings. Good luck!”

With that said, Baekhyun pranced back to where the others were and I was left standing there looking like a fool.

After much deliberation, my feet found its way over to the big tree and in front of Sehun. When I got there, Sehun was just looking at me. No smiles, no greetings. So I was the one who spoke first. “Hey, Sehun. What are you doing alone here? Did you eat lunch already?”

Sehun didn’t look at me as he replied. “Just thinking. Yes, I ate.”

I waited for him to add more but figured that he had no intention of speaking anymore so I spoke again. “What were you thinking about?” I smiled at him.

“Stuff.” Another simple reply. My smile faltered and soon we were surrounded in awkward silence.

“Where are the others?” Finally, he spoke first.

“Oh, they’re there. Baekhyun and I were roaming around when I saw you here.” I tried to smile again, waiting for him to look at me and smile back.

“Let’s go there then.” He stood up and walked away, without even giving me time to register his words.

“Hey, wait up!” I shouted and thankfully, he stopped.

“Sehun-ah, did I do something wrong?” I asked, anxiety showing in my voice.

“No.” He simply said then began walking once more.

My mood was at its worst when I sensed Sehun was being cold to me. I was frowning at the retreating back of Sehun when he suddenly turned to look at me. I erased all the sorrow showing on my face and smiled, still hoping I misunderstood his actions.

“Hyung, I don’t think I can go to bubble tea with you today. I’m busy.” He said and that was the last time he looked at me.

He ran to the others and smiled to everyone like nothing happened.

The feeling of rejection rushed through my veins and senses. I could not describe the emotions I was feeling that moment. Hurt? Useless? Deprived? I did not know what it was. I didn’t felt like this when Jongin refused or cancelled our ‘dates’. So what is this I’m feeling when Sehun bailed out on me?

I didn’t realize I’ve been standing in the same spot Sehun left me until I felt warm hands resting on my shoulder. I looked to see who it was and Baekhyun’s worried eyes met mine. In that moment, I found the answer to my question.

With teary eyes and a dejected heart, I thought “Heartbroken…”

 

 

 

A/N: Okay, I think a day without internet is actually helpful to writing a new chapter everyday. HAHA.
I went to my grandmother's house and did this. Don't know if it's read-worthy but my mind seems to be blank right now to make any rational judgment on my own writing.

So yeah~
I know you must feel sad and gloomy that Sehun did that~ But don't worry, everything's happening for a reason... which you'll know next chapter~ ^.^