A Duet

When Cupid Strikes Again

 

 

 

Lu Han’s POV

 

“Isn’t Kai the best dancer among them?” Baekhyun asked as the performance was nearing its end. I could only nod in response as I was still dazed by the sudden turn of events.

I never really thought that the dancer I had been admiring would be Sehun, the boy I’ve been mentally cursing for many times already because of his intrusion to my moments with Kai. I knew Sehun was a handsome boy but Kai’s charismatic aura outshines him so I never really noticed that he had this particular charm in him.

“Wow, everyone was so good. I didn’t know Minseok hyung was a great dancer. This is the first time I ever saw him as charismatic.” I heard Jongdae say from behind. I was not really paying attention to anything so I did not notice that there wasn’t anyone on stage anymore. The only thing that kept flashing in my mind was the moment Sehun revealed himself.

“Hey, Jongin sent a message.” My head turned around at the mention of Jongin’s name. Does that mean my admiration for Sehun was short-lived? I hope it is, I thought. “He said to meet them backstage.”

“But someone’s still going to perform, right? We can’t just leave. It’s rude.” Tao remarked.

“It’s fine, Tao. We already saw what we wanted to see. Let’s go.” Baekhyun said, pulling me off my chair.

“But---” Tao was about to speak when everyone else stood up. Kris just put an arm around his shoulders and pulled him off his chair. I saw Joonmyun smiled apologetically at him before linking arms with Kyungsoo and followed us.

 

“So… did you fall in love with Jongin ten times more like I told you?” Baekhyun whispered to me and I felt my face become hotter. I could not give him an answer as I was not actually sure of my feelings right now.

“Lu Han hyung?” I looked at Baekhyun almost instantly, surprising him. “Hyung, what’s wrong? Are you feeling sick?”

“N-No, I’m… I’m just… Yeah, I’m fine.” was all that I could mutter. He looked at me confusedly but just shrugged and turned to Chanyeol who was beside him.

I could hear Chanyeol whispering sweet nothings to Baekhyun, making Baekhyun giggle and me jealous. As I couldn’t possibly stop the two from having their moment, I moved towards Jongdae.

“Please, hyung. Don’t tell me how great Jongin was. I already know.” Jongdae had his hands up the moment he saw me nearing him. I giggled at his reaction and punched him lightly.

“I’m not going to talk about how great Jongin was. I just needed to free myself from the suffocating atmosphere.” I pointed to Chanyeol and Baekhyun’s direction, who were now almost hugging while walking. How can they possibly hug while walking?

“I heard that, hyung!” Baekhyun glared at me, earning snickers from the others.

 

When we got backstage, the first person I saw was Jongin.

“Jongin-ah! You were great!” I excitedly said as Jongin walked over to me. I did mean what I said, though I was never really paying attention to him during their performance.

“Thank you, hyung! Your words mean a lot to me.” He beamed a smile at me but soon, his smile turned into a frown. I saw him looking at something behind me so I followed his gaze and saw Joonmyun and Kyungsoo laughing with each other. I looked back at Jongin but he already regained his composure so I did not bother asking him what’s wrong. It did not stop my mind from thinking of Kyungsoo and Jongin’s relationship though.

“Jongin-ah, how many times will I tell you to stop getting the extra towel from my bag?” A boy emerged from the door near us. I felt my knees tremble and my palms sweat as the mushroom boy turned charismatic dancer walked towards us.

Jongin simply laughed at the boy’s rant and patted his back. “Sorry. Won’t do it next time.”

“You better.” He glared at him but soon chuckled. His eyes shifted from Jongin to me and he stuck out his tongue once more but instead of copying his gesture, I could only look at him. Realizing that I had no intention of playing with him, he looked at me in confusion. I soon found myself getting light-headed as Sehun and I continue to stare at each other.

“Why does your face look like you’ve seen a ghost?” Sehun soon said, followed by a low chuckle.

“Oh, hyung. You look pale. Are you sick?” Jongin looked at me worriedly and put a hand over my forehead. “You feel cold. Here, wrap Sehun’s towel around you. It’s still clean.”

I shook my head to straighten my mind but I ended up feeling light-headed once more as I see Sehun looking at me worriedly. Despite not being on good terms with me, he actually looked concerned when Jongin said I was feeling cold.

“Guys, Sehun and I will go ahead of you. We’ll bring Lu Han hyung back to Kris hyung’s house because he looks sick.” Jongin announced to the others.

“Hyung, you’re sick?” Baekhyun rushed over to me.

“Jongin-ah. I’m fine.” I smiled at Jongin and Baekhyun. “Come on, we’re going to go celebrate your first performance, right?”

I tried going back to the bubbly person that I was. I pushed all thoughts of Sehun to the back of my mind. I should not change my preference that quickly. It hasn’t even been two months since I started liking Jongin and just because I saw Sehun dance today doesn’t mean I like him already. Maybe I was just really captivated by his dancing. Maybe that’s all.

 

All twelve of us went to sing at a noraebang, a suggestion made by Kyungsoo. Despite the four of us being the music majors and karaoke addicts, we found ourselves being pushed away from the microphone by our other friends. I did not know that they were also music lovers and that they were actually good in singing. I was surprised to hear Yixing sing a very sweet ballad, his voice seamlessly matching the song. Next on the surprising list of performers were Chanyeol and Kris who sang an upbeat song. They voices matching each other as they exchanged lines. The night continued with everyone fighting over the microphone just to sing. When it was almost midnight, I decided to do the last song. But as I hurriedly stood up to take the microphone, my hand found Sehun’s hand instead.

“Hyung, I want to sing.” Sehun said, looking at me pleadingly. He never usually does aegyo around me. Why are you doing it now?

“O-Okay.” I let go and went back to my seat but Jongin stopped me. “Hyung, why don’t you just sing together with Sehun? I think you two will sound great together.”

My mouth opened and closed repeatedly as I try to understand Jongin’s words. Me… sing together… with Sehun. I looked at Sehun who was glaring at Jongin.

“Fine. But you’ll be doing the last song, together with Kyungsoo hyung.” Sehun smiled darkly. I looked at Jongin who had his mouth open and Kyungsoo who shifted in his seat uncomfortably.

“Hyung, you choose the song.” Sehun grabbed me by the arms to stand beside him. I gulped at the sudden interaction between us. Oh no, I am about to go over my limit.

“D-Don’t you have a song prepared already?” I managed to ask.

“Yeah, but it isn’t exactly suited for a duet. So you choose. What was the song you wanted to sing?” Sehun asked.

“M-Marry U… by S-Super Junior.” I stuttered as I answered. How could you stutter? You’re making it obvious!

“It’s a good song. Sing it for us, then.” Chanyeol urged.

“Let’s sing it, then.” Sehun flashed a smile, something he’s never really done around me. His smile left me breathless.

 

Sehun pushed the buttons for the song and as the song starts, everyone clapped to the beat of the song.

 

♫ Love oh baby my girl

You are my all 

So beautifully radiant, my bride 

A gift from God 

 

Are you happy?

Tears fall from your dark eyes 

Until your dark hair turns white 

My love, my girl

I’ll swear my love 

 

I looked at Sehun in surprise as I heard him rap. His voice was not as deep as Kris’ and Chanyeol’s but it was suited for rapping. He did the rap almost perfectly and I almost missed my part because I was left awestruck once again by the boy

 

♫ Saying I love you 

I want to do it every day for a lifetime 

Would you marry me 

Loving and cherishing you 

I want to live this way 

 

I did not miss the smile forming in Sehun’s face as I sang the song wholeheartedly. This song has been my favorite since I came to Korea and apparently, I’m loving this song more since I’m singing this together with Sehun. I smiled back at Sehun who continued the song.

 

♫ Every time you fall asleep 

I want it to be in my arms 

Would you marry me?

Would you consent to this heart of mine? 

 

For a lifetime I’ll be by your side, I do

Loving you, I do 

Cherishing you through the snow and rain, I do

I’ll protect you, my love

 

I could hear the others singing along when it got to the chorus, the room being filled with twelve unsynchronized but melodious voices.

 

♫ Her wearing a white dress 

Me wearing a tuxedo 

We walk, matching our pace 

On the moon and star, I swear 

I don’t like lies, I don’t like doubt 

My loving princess 

Stay with me 

 

I was surprised when Sehun slowly leaned towards me as he continued singing, a big smile plastered on his face. I felt the butterflies swarming around my stomach from the sudden closeness and changing treatment from Sehun. I could not help but feel happy, looking at Sehun’s cheerful side for the first time.

 

♫ Even as we age

I want to go about it smiling 

Would you marry me 

Would you spend my days with me 

 

Through hardships and difficulties, I do 

I’ll always be there, I do 

Through our many days together, I do 

I’ll be thankful every day, my love 

 

Baekhyun suddenly grabbed the microphone from me and sang the bridge of the song. I chuckled at his silliness and joined the others in clapping

 

♫ Accept this shining ring in my hand

That I’ve prepared from awhile back 

With the same feelings today 

I’ll remember the promise made right now

Would you marry me? 

 

As the song was almost to the end, everyone stood up and gathered in the middle. We sang the last chorus, with our arms linked together. I suddenly felt a strong sense of protection. Eleven individuals inside this room with me, singing their hearts out along with me, linking arms with me, laughing genuinely with me. For the first time since I came to Korea, I have never found people who felt like brothers to me. But now, I think I just found myself a new family.

 

♫ For a lifetime I’ll be by your side, I do 

Loving you, I do 

Cherishing you through the snow and rain, I do

I’ll protect you, my love

 

I have nothing else to give you but love 

That’s all, hardly valuable 

Though I’m clumsy and am lacking 

My love, my girl 

I’ll protect you 

Will you promise me just one thing 

That no matter what happens 

We will love each other 

That’s it 

 

Having the decency to give back the microphone to me, Baekhyun let me do the final note of the song.

 

♫ Will you marry me, I do 

 

As the song ended, we went back to our seats like nothing happened. But only seconds after, Chanyeol started cracking up and being followed by Baekhyun then the others. I did not realize that the one I sat beside with this time was not Jongin but Sehun instead. When I look beside me, I found a giddy Sehun.

“Hyung, that was fun. Let’s sing again next time.” Sehun told me. I only nodded in response, lost for words.

I was now sure. No matter how many times I pushed Sehun away from my mind, he just kept coming back only to leave me light-headed once again. I could not stop this feelings anymore. If this was only short-lived or not, I don’t know but one thing’s for sure… I like him.

 

 

 

 

A/N: Okay... this is progressing quite fast. Sorry for not making Lu Han wait a few more days before deciding if he really likes Sehun. That's all my mind could produce right now. Hope you still like it though~ ^.^

And about Kaisoo~ well, I wasn't going to tell you guys about this until this story finishes but I'll say it anyways. Or maybe, give a hint. :D
I won't be giving Kaisoo that much moments because "this" is not their story.
Did you get it? If yes, two thumbs up for you! If you didn't, wait 'til the end of this story. *evil laugh*