TAKING A BREAK

COINCEDENTAL | FATE

i was standing. a spotlight shone directly on me but it came from nowhere. i was surrounded literally by stars spread out around me in a pool of deep purple and blue with scatters of light green. you could see that this 'space' was like a dome, it formed a dome even though it you were to touch it it would be like infinity. there was no way to explain it, the easiest way was to say that it was like a see-through inivible glass that separated me and the galaxy. only the floor was what seemed man-made, it was concrete, but it wasnt cold, it was warm, the whole space was warm. though i could not see much around the dark room, i saw a figure slowly emerge, and it was a guy, i could tell by the way he stepped. i could only see his feet clearly as he slowly stepped under the light but before i could fully see who he was he stopped, halfway.


'Gin.'

i could feel the smile when he said my name, and responding naturally i smiled with him, but before anything could happened i woke up.

it was a wierd dream, but ill have to say i normally have wierd dreams when something interesting happened the day before. for instance, bumping into an attractive nice guy whom i somehow chatted for hours with, then being taken a room i never thought existed in the hotel to watch the stars and moon and ended up falling asleep with.

i turned my head to check if he was actually still there. and he was. sleeping so perfectly and beautifully. i smiled at his peacefulness. slowly lifting up the duvet and getting up. i headed over to the bathroom. slowly and quietly closing the door, i looked out the window beside the bathtub. the sky was a very light blue, the sun was just rising, it must have been around seven or eight in the morning. if it wasnt for my dream, i would have slept till 11 like i normally do. somehow angry at my dream but also grateful for it, i looked around for a toothbrush, toothpaste and towels. hunting them down was too easy. the maid stored them behind the mirror cabinet.

as i brushed my teeth i began thinking about how things turned so unexpectantly. yes. its not a big deal meeting a guy and the hanging out with him, but it is with me. guys i thought were attractive never really approached me but thinking back to the guys i used to like i am actually glad they didnt. chuckling a bit when images of all my past interests flash in my head, i started washing my face. i didnt even want to bother looking at myself in the mirror because i know once i do. ill probably freak out. brushing through my hair with my fingers i turned off the lights. holding my breath as i opened the door, i stopped halfway to check if i woke him up. nope. tip toeing my way back to our little camp area, i dug under the duvet and just laid there. but this time, i was watching the sun rise.

i must have fallen asleep again because i woke up to the sound of running water. alittle confused, i turned around to face where the noise was coming from and that was when i saw him walking out of the bathroom.

'did you clean up already?' he asked me slightly puzzled

'um....yea~' shrugging as i sat up

'haha okay~ i was able to think that someone else was sleeping in the same room as us' there he goes again, that adorable eye smile, it made me have to take in a sharp breath before i continued the conversation.

'i cant believe we fell asleep last night, i hope my cousin was too tired to drop by the room'

he sat now next to me and pulled the duvet over his legs and propped his body up with his arms. one hand a few centimetres away from me, 'well, you can tell her what happened yesterday, its not like we did anything' he chuckled. it was playful the sound. like a child laughing.

'oh! what time is it?'

'um around 11~'

'what?! oh no~ my cousin is probably waiting for me for breakfast!'

'oh~' he looked a bit disappointed, 'okay then, well pack up and then leave' standing up and holding out his hand. he was waiting to help me up. taking his hand he pulled me up. he had a lot of strength i tell you. though i knew he was being gentle you could still feel the pull against your arm.

as we folded the duvets then chucking them back into the cupboard, we heard some noise coming from the hallway. frozen for a few seconds to check whether it was true, 'Gin, we need to go now. the maids are coming.' throwing the pillows onto the bed he took my hand and pulled me towards the bathroom. shutting the door, he quickly moved into the bathtub and opened the window.

as i stood there watching him smoothly move around i could hear the maids unlock our room.

'come on, Gin~' he whispered, one leg outside the window and one leg still in the tub, sitting on the sill. keeping his body still inside the room he waited for me to come over.

when i got in the tub i could already hear the maid talking inside, gikwang helped me out and we both ducked sat on the balcony, ducking as on of the maids went into the bathroom and was thinking loudly why the window was open. she stuck her head out the window and looked left and right. trying not to make a noise we both glued ourselves to the wall away rom her sight. finally, shutting and locking the window, gikwang and i sighed in relief. 

as we sat there i realised that there was no way back in. gikwang laughing when he saw my confused and worried expression.

'haha, dont worry Gin, i know a way back, but it may involve some hiking.' he said with a daring tone.

'i can hike.' i said confidently

'good. lets go then' standing back up again he gave me a hand then he jumped down a small flight of wooden stairs on my right which was attached to the side of the building and a tall wooden fence and onto the beach turning left and out of sight. i followed after him.

the sand was soft and clean. i took off my vans and held one shoe in each hand. the beach wasnt like those that you'd see in typical Mission Bay in New Zealand. it wasnt those dirty, dark, full of seaweed, other sealife or glass scattered all over. this beach had sand which shone, it glittered and gave off a sun-like warmth. it was very welcoming. before walking down the stairs i did not expect to see a whole stretch of beach. i would have thought it was just a little deck on the bottom and the water. gikwang and i walked slowly, taking our time, side by side with a few inches between us. we were silent. silence is good, it gives me time to enjoy the moment and think about what happened and what may happen. thank goodness it wasnt an awkward silence though.

beep~beep~

turning his head all of a sudden with the sound he looked at my pant pockets, 'phone?' he looked up at me

'huh?' i stopped and took out my other phone, like my broken phone this one was old as well, 'oh no~ its my cousin...'

-text- hey Gin~ i dropped by your room but it seemed like you were still asleep, you never responded when i knocked. hope you had a good time yesterday. sorry i had to leave you alone. im having breakfast right now i hope you can join me. meet you in a few minutes? -text-

'gikwang~ do you mind?'

'no~ its alright' he smiled widely showing his white teeth, 'come on now, lets go~' waving his hand to gesture me to follow, he fastened his pace and began jogging. i followed and then we ended up racing each other, even though i didnt know which way to go i just kept running, i was slightly infront of him, but i had a feeling he was letting me win because he zoomed pass me and stopped near a very narrow concrete steps all the way up to a small door.

i caught up to him in no time. both of us panting like crazy, trying to get back air. walking up the stairs was a bit difficult considering we used up our most of our energy sprinting plus we havent even eaten breakfast and above that i also realised i never ate dinner last night. gikwang reached the door first and opened it for me as i took my time trying to climb the stairs, i was quite close to falling onto the carpet of this hallway. as we walked through the familiar hallway i later realised that it was the bathroom hallway from the restaurant yesterday. starving and probably looking a bit like a hobo i decided to go to the bathroom first.

'ill wait for you out here' gikwang told me as i leaned onto the door to enter the females. the sprint was probably not a good idea, as i washed my face from sweat and tiredness i began to gain some energy from the adrenaline because of the exercise. nodding to myself after looking in the mirror for a few seconds i walked back out. as i stood at the frame of the door, gikwang was leaning backwards on the wall to my left. hands in pocket, one foot on the wall he was leaning on, and his head tilted back, eyes closed. to be honest he looked really cool, but i could tell he was recovering from the run. lifting his head to look at me he laughed, 'you alright?'

'i am now' i smiled back.

opening the door i walked out first, gikwang followed close behind. i saw my cousin sitting at the same table she sat at yesterday. on the way to her table i tried to think of a reasonable excuse, one that would explain this morning.

'hey~ im sorry i took so long~ i was in the bathroom, stomach ache. it always happens in the morning' i put on a what-can-you-do face as i pulled out the chair and sat down. but it was kind of the truth. i get stomach aches in the morning very often, something to do with my digestive issues or something like that.

'oh~ you were here before me? nor wonder you didnt answer your door, haha, anyways youre coming with me today right?' it sounded like i had an option. i considered the option, to go with my cousin like what was planned in the first place, or, stay at the hotel and hope for another chance to meet up with gikwang. rethinking about the latter option, i realised it sounded very naive and relatively wierd so i decided to just go with my cousin.

'excuse me, here is your chicken salad, and bacon and eggs.'

looking up i saw that handsome chef again, what was his name? ah~ doojoon. he was smiling happily but i felt as though he was a bit stiff. there was something off about him. i always had a sixth sense about things, watching the way people move, behave, talk and their facial expressions i could round-a-bout tell what kind of person they are and other things. and i have a feeling that he may be interested in my cousin. since i was in a good mood, i wanted to dig deeper a bit, so i did what a third wheeler, well more like by-stander would do. i wanted to make things happen.

'hi, sorry. im Gin' i smiled politely, 'i was wondering, how long have you owned this restaurant?'

'oh, um...' he stratched his head in responsed to my sudden question, 'around two to three years'

'wow~ hey, zea~ isnt that the same amount of time that youve had your own design label?' i asked my cousin.

'yes it is~' my cousin nodding, looking at me puzzled

'hmm...you both are such successful young adults' i nodded a bit too dramatically glancing at my cousin and doojoon. i was trying to make a link between them

'ah~ haha thank you, Miss Gin~' doojoon laughed, bowing and then giving my cousin glance before he turned back towards his kitchen.

lifting an eyebrow my cousin questioned, 'and when did you start calling me by my name Gin?'

shrugging it off i just replied, 'he looks cute~'

trying to avoid the glare from zea, i began feasting. bacon and eggs never tasted this good before.