oo7 ;

The Locket

s e v e n

 

 

“You know Chorongie, you really should start dressing up like a girl.”

Looking up from the drawing I was working on, I saw Suho towering above me with his hands on his hips. He had this disapproving look on his face, like a mother reprimanding her daughter.

I lifted the sketchbook up from my lap and studied the blue T-shirt and white shorts I was wearing.

Scrunching up my nose, I asked, “What’s wrong with the clothes I’m wearing?”

“You’re wearing shorts,” he said pointedly.

I rolled my eyes. “So? It’s summer, Suho. You don’t expect me to wear long pants.”

He let out an exasperated sigh.

“You could’ve worn a skirt or a dress.”

I burst out laughing real hard at his remark.

“I do not own any skirts or dresses, Suho. You, of all people should know that.”

Crossing his arms, he said, “If you continue being like this, no boy would want to marry you when you’ve grown up.”

I ignored him and went back to finishing up my drawing of the playground in front of me.

I felt him nudging my foot with his leg.

“What?” I glared.

“Did you hear me?”

“Why are you so worried anyway? If that really happens, I won’t worry so much. Do you know why?”

Suho shook his head. “Why?”

“Because you’ll be there,” I answered simply.

 

 

The doorbell rings, snapping me out of my trance. My eyes shift over towards the large clock hanging on the wall above the television set.

8pm sharp. He’s actually right on time.

I inhale deeply. I don’t know why, but my palms are sweating for no reason.

Am I actually nervous about going out with Hoya tonight? Could it be because...

I’ve never actually dated...I realise. What have I been doing all these time? Where have I been exactly? Did my whole life actually revolved only around Suho alone?

Appagoes ahead up front to open the door from him. His loud, friendly voice booms in the hallway when he greets my date and welcomes him in.

“Oh, it’s okay,” I hear Hoya politely decline. “I’ll just wait for Chorong out here.”

“Alright then, I’ll get Chorong for you.”

As soon as I hear appa’s footsteps coming for me, I stand up quickly and straighten down my simple black-laced dress. I check my reflection for the last time in the mirror.

Everything looks okay. Not a single strand of hair is sticking out of place.

Okay, let’s do this.

 

Hoya took me to Han River for dinner. I must admit, he’s been nothing but a perfect gentleman all evening. From opening the car door for me, to escorting me right up the entrance door and allowing me to enter first, and even pulling out a chair for me – I was treated just like a princess.

It felt awkward at first. I’ve never been in this kind of close proximity with any guy before, and being with Hoya with his proper etiquettes, it makes me feel tingly? Excited? Pleased?

“So...” he starts to say as we take a stroll in the area after dinner. “...thank you for agreeing to go out with me tonight.”

I just smile, clutching my purse tightly as if I am hanging for dear life.

“It’s fine. Thanks to you too...for taking me out.”

I feel like kicking myself for sounding like an idiot.

Hoya lets out a nervous chuckle.

“Well...to be honest, I was quite surprised when Na Eun told me you would actually go out on a date with me. You know...back when we were in high school, you didn’t even give me a second glance.”

I immediately feel guilty when he said that. “I’m sorry, it wasn’t about you – “

“I know,” he cuts me off and gives me a boyish grin. It makes my heart...flutters? “You weren’t interested in guys, period. Don’t worry. I didn’t take offence.”

I smile gratefully at him. “Thank you. I was actually...going through a hard time.”

Scratching the back of his head sheepishly, he turns towards me and says, “It’s all in the past anyway. What matters most, is now. Right?”

I nod, not knowing what else to say.

“Chorong, I really hope...”

I force myself to look at him, to actually look at him in the eyes.

And I...like it. I like the feeling.

“...I really hope that this night won’t just end here.”