oo1 ;

The Locket

o n e 

 

 

Eomma called it fate. Appa said it was coincidence.

I choose to believe that it is destiny.

 

Every year, my best friend and I, we would take turn celebrating our birthdays together at either of our houses. Aside from the venue, the people remained. Probably because the two of us didn’t socialise much. Probably also because we hate making such a big fuss of anything.

Or perhaps, just because, we only needed each other.

Based on time difference, I am the older sister. Eomma told me I was born in the morning, at around 10:15am.

Joonmyun asked his mother and she told him that he was a night-baby.

Despite that, he’s the one who has been taking care of me, looking after me like a big brother.

One day, during our 11th birthday party, he had pulled me aside while everyone else was busy talking to each other.

“Here,” he said and handed me a rectangular, slim wrapped up parcel. “My present for you.”

I took it from him, smiling giddily with excitement.

“Can I open it now?”

He shook his head.

“Later. There’s something that I want to tell you.”

I peered at him from the top of my thick-rimmed glasses.

“What is it?”

He leaned in closer to me and cupped both hands around my ear. “Call me Suho from now on.”

I frowned. “Suho? Why? I like Joonmyun.”

He hesitated for a moment, studying my face carefully. I tilted my head slightly, waiting for him to explain himself.

“Suho...means guardian,” he finally said, quietly. “I want to be your guardian and protect you forever.”

It took a moment for me to register it inside of my head. When I did, I burst out laughing, much to Joonmyun’s annoyance.

Yah,” he hissed. “It’s not funny.”

I wrapped my arms around my stomach, trying to control myself from rolling over. I finally stop when he smacked me on the arm.

“O-okay,” I gasped, catching my breath. “I’m sorry. But seriously Joonmyun – “

Suho,” he corrected me seriously.

I rolled my eyes. “Fine, Suho. Whatever you say. But just so you know, I still find it funny.”

Because of that, my best friend sulked for the rest of the evening and refused to exchange another word with me.

 

When it was time for him to leave, I walk them to the door with my parents. I felt guilty, so I sneaked a back-hug when he was halfway out the door.

“I’m sorry,” I whispered.

When he turned around, he still has a serious expression on his face, but I could see he was trying hard to suppress a smile.

“I hope you like your present.”

I nodded eagerly. “You too.”

He turned back, ready to head towards the car where his parents were waiting.

“Goodnight!” I called out. “Suho...”

He stopped, hands by the side, and slowly faced me.

I would never forget his smile then.

His soft, warm smile that reached all the way to his ears.