Chapter 11

Wishing You Were Here part 2 (Love Affair)

“I feel like you’re part of some dramatic Korean drama.” Jessica put as she crossed her arms and leaned back in to her chair. She has just heard of Tiffany’s explanation about her strange behaviors lately and was quite concerned for her friend. She felt maybe her sarcastic tone could mask the worries she had.

“If only that was true.” Tiffany responded then played with the straw in her glass of orange juice she had ordered earlier. “Then all of this would be over once filming is done.” She added and continued to play with the straw.

“So you’re going to go forward with the plan?”

“There’s nothing else I can do.”

“Tell her? Talk to her?”

“Knowing her. She wouldn’t let me. And then she’d get hurt doing so.”

Jessica stared at her best friend. It was rare to see Tiffany not in her hyperactive state and Jessica felt uneasy looking at her like that and not being able to do anything to help. The situation was out of her hands. She felt useless. She reached for her best friend’s hands and tapped it lightly.

“I’m sorry I can’t do anything to help.” She said.

“It’s ok Jessica-yah. I’ll be okay.” Tiffany assured her friend although she wasn’t even a hundred percent positive that she’d be okay. She had to say so and hoped that it’d be easier on Jessica. The last thing she wanted was to worry her loved ones. “But you know Jason oppa is a real sweet guy. He’s really nice to me.” She added, hoping it would help ease Jessica’s uneasiness. 

“I know he is. But_”

“It’s the only way I know of protecting her and I’m going to go with it.” Tiffany cut her off and affirmed her decision.

Jessica knew Tiffany had already made up her mind. She knew that she wasn’t going to be able to talk the latter out of it but she had to try. 

“I love her, Jessica.” She stated firmly. Her fingers fidgeted and started to play with the jewelry on her ring finger. She then remembered how she got it and smiled to herself. 

~Flashback~

Click. Click. The door of the room of slowly opened then closed again after one of the owners of the room stepped inside. 

“Ah, you’re back.” Taeyeon said. She turned her attention back to the computer screen where it was before Tiffany came back and steered it towards her instead. After a few clicks she quickly closed the page she was on as if she was to hide it from her lover who was making her way over. Her nervous heart slowed down and she sighed in relief once the page was gone from the monitor screen. 

“What were you doing?” Tiffany asked and wrapped her arms around Taeyeon’s neck bringing the latter’s back into her embrace. Her eyes stared at the monitor screen which displayed a picture of them together as the desktop wallpaper.

“N_nothing.” She replied nervously and smiled 

“Were you looking at naughty things?!”

“No! No! Absolutely not!”

“Uh huh…sure…sure.” 

“Anyways, are you busy?” Taeyeon reached for her lover’s hands which were around her neck and rubbed it gently with her thumb. She waited for the desired answer.

“No, why?”

“Let’s go out. Just you and me.” She rubbed her lover’s hands a little coarser than before. Why is my heart beating fast? Although, this is the first time I’ve ever asked her on a date with just the two of us, we’ve been together for a few weeks now. I should be comfortable with her but why am I still nervous? Man up Taengoo!

“Sure! I’d love to!” Tiffany responded excitedly like the typical hyperactive girl that she was. The nervous girl was obvious and Tiffany could tell. She smiled at the trembling, nervous voice of her lover. She had always wanted to go on a date of some sort with Taeyeon but there was never a chance since Yuri and Jessica were always with them. Her wish came true and she was content. 

***

With their arms locked, the couple strolled through the shopping mall going from one shop to another. Tiffany fantasized that their date would be more exciting like horse riding or at least a walk on the beach but it was in fact already late and on a weekday. Although a little disappointed by the casual date, Tiffany was still content to be alone with Taeyeon for the entire evening. 

“Oh those rings are pretty.” Tiffany commented as they passed by the display case of a jewelry shop.

“Let’s go in a take a closer look.” 

“Huh? Why, it’s not necessary.”

“Just to take a look. We have time. Come on.” Taeyeon insisted and opened the glass door to the shop.

“Welcome to Bright Jewelries! Is there anything I can help you with?” A young lady in a dark gray suit greeted as she walked towards Taeyeon and Tiffany with a bright smile on her face.

“Oh, we wanted to take a closer look at the rings in the display over there.” Taeyeon requested politely.

“Ah, the couple set. No problem. Just have a seat right here, and I will bring it right up to you.” The young worker instructed then walked towards the display case. She used her keys to open the glass doors and collected the desired items before walking back to Taeyeon and Tiffany. She placed the tray containing the rings in front of them.

“Oh, it’s so pretty.” Tiffany commented.

“Yes, it is actually a new item at the store for young couples. Quite a few have purchased them from our shop and it is one of our most popular items.” The worker boasted. “You should take your boyfriends here and ask him to buy for you.” She added, oblivious to the fact that the two girls in front of her were actually a couple.

“What are the sizes available for the men’s ring?” Tiffany asked.

“The size range for the men’s ring is from size 8 to size 12.” The worker answered. 

“Oh. My boyfriend’s finger is small. I don’t think this would do.” She sighed in disappointment then looked at Taeyeon and pouted. “Would it be okay if we just buy two of the women’s rings?”

“No ma’am, we only sell the rings as a pair. We can do a custom size for the men’s ring if you’d like but it will take time.”

“No, that would be too troublesome. Thank you for your time.” Taeyeon answered before Tiffany could say anything and bowed lightly. She stood up and signaled for Tiffany that they were leaving.

“No problem. Bring your boyfriends back with you next time. I’m sure there will be something that will fit the both of you.” The worker politely walked the two girls towards the exit. 

“Let’s get something to eat. It’s dinner time.” Taeyeon suggested after the two have exited from the jewelry store. She noticed the worker was placing the pair of rings back on the display case and how Tiffany’s eyes were still on them. She smirked. 

“Yeah, ok. I’m hungry as well.” Tiffany responded after turning her attention back to the person in front of her. “Let’s go then.”

“Oh, uh…don’t you need to use the restroom?” 

“Huh?”

“You said you needed to use the restroom earlier.” 

“I can use it at the restaurant it later. It’s no biggie.”

“It’s ok. I can wait for you. Just go now before you complain on the bus later.” 

“Hmm. That does sound like a good idea. Wait for me TaeTae-ah. I’ll be right back.” She said then smiled sweetly at her lover before she walked away towards the direction of the mall’s public restroom. 

After a few minutes, Tiffany returned. She quickly entangled her fingers with Taeyeon’s hands as the latter held them out for her. 

“So where are we going to eat TaeTae-ah?” She asked and swung her lover’s hand back and forth.

“Oh, I was thinking. Since it’s late, we should just eat at the food court then head back to the dorms.” 

“Ah, and you made me use the restroom for nothing.” 

“Who knows, you might complain on the way walking over there.” She teased and was greeted with a mocking face of the girl beside her. She looked ahead and smiled at her accomplishment. Her plan has been going smoothly so far. 

***

“Aigoo, it’s all your fault TaeTae-ah. You made me ate all the soup and drank so much water!” Tiffany complained as the couple walked out of the restaurant. 

“Well, the mall’s restroom hasn’t moved anywhere.”

“I’ll be right back.” She said before parting with Taeyeon once again for the restroom for the second time today. 

***

For some people, it might be odd to be walking with your lover across the bridge above the Han river since it was always noisy and full of traffic, but it wasn’t for Taeyeon and Tiffany. It was the place where they first encountered each other earlier in the year. It was where Taeyeon fainted after she tried to apologize to Tiffany. It was a special place for them. 

Of course they didn’t really get to talk until they’ve completely walked to the end of the bridge where it was more quiet. But still, they felt happy just walking hand-in-hand with each other and feeling each other’s presence. 

“September 17. Is today some special day?” Tiffany asked. “Why did you ask me out today?” 

“It’s not a special day. I just felt like going out with you, without the other two for once.” Taeyeon answered. It was still a few minutes until the time. “Why did you not enjoy going out with me?”

“No, no. It was fun. Although we didn’t do much, it was still nice just to be with you.” She defended and smiled sweetly at her lover.

Saranghae Saranghae Saranghae the song played in the midst of their conversation. Taeyeon knew it came from her phone and quickly pulled it out. She smiled, pressed a button her phone, then placed back it back in her pocket. Tiffany looked at her confused. It was 12:00 AM on September 18. 

“Tiffany,” Taeyeon spoke softly yet clearly.

“Hmmm..?”

“I love you.”

Tiffany looked at her lover, unable to make sense as to why Taeyeon just told her that randomly. Nonetheless, she smiled and replied. “I love you, too.”

“I…I know that we’ve been together for the past couple of weeks, but I realized that I’ve never official asked you out. So I want to finally take this chance to make things official between us, so that there will be no questions in the future.” She explained while looking into Tiffany’s eyes to show her sincerity. “Tiffany, will you be my girlfriend?” She finally asked the question. 

Tiffany continued to look at Taeyeon’s sincere eyes and listened carefully to every word that came out of the latter’s mouth. She has thought about it in the past and never thought Taeyeon would take notice at their unofficial relationship. She smiled till her eyes disappeared. She hugged the girl in front of her tightly.

“Yes. Yes. And for the millionth time, yes!” 

Taeyeon let go of the hug and pulled herself away. She reached in her purse and pulled out a fancy box. She opened it and revealed two shiny rings. 

“The rings from earlier.” Tiffany recognized them. “But how? I thought_”

“I bought two pairs.” She cut her off with the answer. 

“But that means you had to pay double the amount. What a waste of money, TaeTae-ah. You didn’t have to.” 

“Why you don’t like it?”

“I do, I do! Of course I do!” 

Taeyeon smiled at her girlfriend then took one of the rings from the box. With her left fingers barely holding on to Tiffany’s hand, while the rest of her palm still holding on to the box, she used her right hand to slip the ring smoothly onto Tiffany’s ring finger. She smiled at the blissful face in front of her as its owner took her turn with the other ring and slipped it onto Taeyeon’s finger. 

“It fits perfectly.” Taeyeon commented. “Just like how we are perfect for each other.”

“That was so corny.” Tiffany remarked when she couldn’t help but to smile at her girlfriend’s cheesy line. 

~End of Flashback~

After playing with her ring, her hand moved towards her neck where she revealed a silver necklace with a slightly bigger ring as a pendant. That day, Taeyeon also bought two silver necklaces for the both of them and used the men’s rings as the pendants. And it wasn’t until later when the two were under the bright lights of their dorm room did Tiffany realize that inside both rings, they were engraved “Taeyeon & Tiffany 091809.”

“Alright. Well, let’s head back now. I want to sleep.” Jessica said.

Tiffany scoffed at her friend’s usual self and began to stand up from her seat to follow the latter towards the exit of the coffee shop. 

“Remember_”

“Not to tell anyone, especially Taeyeon. I know, I know.”

***

“Oh hey, you’re back.” Taeyeon greeted then turned her attention back to the monitor screen in front of her. 

“Are you being a dork again and looking up tips on how to ask girls out by making her drink a lot of water so that you can do things while she’s in the restroom?” Tiffany teased and made her way towards her girlfriend. 

“No. That was a onetime thing. I was just checking my email.”