Second Mission: Sing Your Heart Out!

Me or Music?

This was the most ecstatic Jiyong had looked in quite a while, Seungri observed. All five members of the band were now at their recording studio in the YG Building. The leader handed each member a piece of paper with personally written-out lyrics and let them look over the composition. Charismatic rapper Seunghyun nodded his head to the beat of the instrumental accompaniment as the singers sight-read and hummed their parts along to the music. Everyone was content...

Except Seungri.

The song was upbeat and catchy and Seungri was proud of his hyung for creating such a great song, but he was disappointed in his lack of parts. T.O.P was already at a table writing up potential rap lyrics while Taeyang and Daesung were already singing behind the sound-proof walls in the recording booth. Seungri felt lost. What should he do? His leader had neglected him! Even after all that trouble cooking breakfast. It didn't mean a thing! Seungri looked over at Jiyong who was absorbed in the computer screen, clicking away at the sound bites and editing the voice recordings. He watched him intently, but not once did Jiyong avert his attention from his work. Seungri would just have to wait for Jiyong to call him into the recording room. Taeyang and Daesung were taking a long time. Be patient, Seungri told himself. Have patience and then give the leader a piece of your mind. Heck, he would offer his heart for his hyung. He'd give away his voice too if he had to.

At last, the two main singers had walked out of the recording room together and took a break on the sofa with their water bottles. Jiyong made some final edits and then played the full recording of what they had so far. The leader leaned back in his chair and asked Seunghyun how the rap was going. The rapper spit out the rhymes he had so far and Jiyong nodded. Taeyang was dancing in his seat and Daesung was playing around on his cellphone. "Okay, keep at it," said Jiyong as he got up from him seat and headed towards the recording room.

"Youngbae-ah, could you handle the recordings for me while I'm in there?"

The singer got up from the sofa and started walking to the computer.

"Sure thing, Ji."

Now Seungri was feeling both neglected and jealous. Why did Youngbae get the throne? Here Seungri was, not doing anything but waiting patiently, and not once did the leader look his way. Jiyong cued to start playing the track once inside the booth, cleared his throat, and started singing the first verse. Seungri watched through the window that looked into the recording room as the petite songwriter sang into the mike with his eyes closed in concentration. Seungri felt his mood lighten. His disappointment started to melt away as he admired his hyung doing what he loved. Without thinking, Seungri started swaying his head to the music and sang out some ad-libs while Jiyong was still singing. He wanted to be in there together with him. He wanted to add in his singing flourishes and provide the harmony to the leader's melody. He wanted to be noticed. Yes, certainly Jiyong would love him back if he sang his heart out. That's it, Seungri found out his second mission: win hyung's love by singing your heart out!

So away he went. The entire time Jiyong was inside recording, Seungri was outside singing to himself. By the time Jiyong was out of the booth, Seungri's throat was warmed up and ready for anything! Youngbae gave the chair back to the leader and walked over to sit by Seungri. He cupped his hands around Seungri's ear and whispered,"Sing just like that in the recording, okay? The ad-libs, everything. Show him what you can do." Seungri leaned back, eyes wide at his hyung's words. Youngbae smiled and nodded at him. Seungri's eyes sparkled in gratuity and excitement.

"Okay, let's take a break," Jiyong said.

What?!! Seungri whipped his head back to Jiyong.

"Hyung, why? I'm ready to sing! I want to sing!"

Youngbae quipped,"Ji! He's been waiting patiently all day." Seungri wanted to cry. Youngbae was supporting him and Jiyong was being mean! Jiyong said matter-of-factly," Seungriyah, you told me this morning 'no more music today' so don't give me that." Seungri felt a tear slowly slide down his cheek.

"Hyuuung~ I meant that for you, not me!"

Youngbae patted Seungri's back and looked up at Jiyong.

"Look what you did, Ji! That's too much teasing!"

Jiyong sighed and sat down on the other side of the maknae. Another tear had escaped. The leader leaned in towards Seungri and embraced him fully, wrapping one hand behind his back and the other behind his head.

"I'm sorry, Seungriyah."

Seungri pushed him away and got up to leave.

"Yah! Wait!"

Seungri had already left the studio. Seunghyun turned from his work at the table to face Jiyong.

"He was singing with you the whole time you were in there recording. You should have heard it. The idiot was actually singing his brains out expecting you to hear him through the sound-proof walls. Sounded better than what you originally assigned him, actually."

Out of nowhere, Daesung held out his phone and spoke up.

"I was recording it, actually. Here."

The four members listened to the maknae's underrated vocals. He was truly giving it his all. Jiyong got up from the couch and excused himself. He stormed out of the studio without a word. As soon as he was gone, the three remaining members looked at each other and shook their heads.

"Aish, those two..."

Meanwhile, Jiyong had found the maknae on the hallway's floor with his head buried in his knees. Jiyong bent down on his knees and hugged him tenderly.

"I heard your singing, Seungriyah. It was perfect."

Seungri lifted his head up.

"Will you let me sing now, hyung?"

Jiyong couldn't help but let out a small laugh.

"Well, I bet your throat is closed up now from being upset, ne?"

Seungri squirmed and pushed his hyung away again.

"Yah! You're teasing again!"

Jiyong shook his head. He offered his hands out to pull Seungri up, but when Seungri accepted the help, he was pulled up into an even tighter hug. Jiyong dug his chin into his shoulder and at last said,"Okay, okay. I can't say no when my maknae sings his heart out for me. Let's go back." Seungri asked,"Does this mean you love me more than music?" Jiyong smiled.

"Tsk, tsk. I still prefer my Seungri and my music together. But keep trying." He pinched the panda's cheeks and they walked back holding hands.