Sixth Mission: Make Him Proud

Me or Music?

Seungri ran a successful dance academy. He had experience with the business industry for helping sell real estate since he was a child. He was active in helping his band get commercial campaigns-a mini manager. He was an adult.

Yet, everywhere he goes, the fans call him "maknae" or "baby panda." Girls around the world look at him adoringly wanting to squeeze his cheeks or pat his head. Even his hyungs about it. Its not that Seungri hated the nicknames or fangirls-he loved the attention. Singing to a crowd of screaming girls still excited him. Its just that sometimes he wondered if his hyungs would ever stop the teasing. He wanted his hyungs to be proud of him-to respect him as an adult, someone responsible and of equal value. He especially wished this from the leader. Jiyong could be very hard to please. He was a raging dragon in the studio.

Do it again. Try harder. So close, but not close enough.

Would Seungri ever be enough for Jiyong? The leader would just keep telling him to keep trying with his missions while he went back in solitude to his room with his music. How could Seungri get Jiyong to finally accept him? How could he get Jiyong to leave his room and choose him instead?

Two rigorous months had passed. A month before the Japanese solo album released, Seungri started training day-in and day-out. He practiced dance routines, was featured in various Japanese variety shows, flew back and forth from Korea to Japan constantly, and was rarely getting any sleep. Cameras followed him everywhere and promotions were non-stop. He was working harder than he ever had before in order to accomplish a secret sixth mission: make Jiyong-hyung proud. The leader, meanwhile, was working on small promotions in Seoul and was missing his maknae again terribly. The two called eachother often, but it just didn't compare to seeing eachother physically.

Once the album was released, it exploded on the Oricon charts. The CDs sold like hot cakes and Seungri only became even busier. He rose to popularity as the Japanese music industry loved him. His duet with Nishino Kana gained a lot of praise, and his first title track, "Inspiration," had sparked a lot of interest from the general public. Had he written this song for someone? Was he dating Nishino? Seungri would just ignore the first question and deny the latter. Talking about that first track just made the maknae think of Jiyong and bring tears to his eyes.

At last, when the promotions were finally over and Japan had moved on to the next up-and-coming star, Seungri bought a plane ticket back home.

Upon entering the YG studio as soon as he was back in Seoul, he was greeted by a surprise party. He flicked the lights on to see the entire YG Family smiling at him with cake, balloons, and confetti. A banner on the wall read: Congratulations on Your Amazing Success in Japan! Seunghyun offered him a glass of champagne while SE7EN patted an arm around his back. Daesung was laughing and belting out his song "Its a big hit!" while Youngbae was laughing and cutting the cake. Gummy gave him a hug and shared kind words, Psy was cracking jokes left and right, and Papa YG had shared a toast and announced to the relaxed party-goers what they were celebrating. It was a short speech but nontheless heartwarming and full of praise.

Seungri felt a tear escape down his right cheek. Everyone looked a little blurry. No, Seungri thought, be a man and don't cry. Next thing he knew, he was being embraced by Jiyong. The leader wrapped his arms around the maknae's head and whispered into his ear: "I'm so very proud of you, Seungriyah. You did very well." Everyone in the room was watching; Seungri had to be stoic. No crying. He could only curtly nod his head. The guests just smiled at the two and went back to conversing with each other in groups.

Jiyong took Seungri's hand and pulled him out of the studio and into the quiet hallway.

"Here, you can cry now if you'd like, Seungriyah. Its okay to cry in front of me, you know. You've worked hard."

Tears started to roll slowly down the panda's cheeks. He hiccuped a few times, then the tears started streaming heavier. The leader kissed his wet cheeks and held him in his arms. Seungri started to babble.

"I don't even know why I'm crying. Am I drunk? Maybe I'm just really tired. Oh hyung, don't be mad, but I haven't gotten much sleep..And then you tell me you're proud of me..I'm just so happy, hyung. I've wanted to impress you for so long..I want you to look at me and not your music..I want you all to myself and I'm being selfish..Hyung..Why does nothing I do change your mind? Hyung..I've missed you so much..Hyung, I wrote that song for you, you know..."

Jiyong cupped Seungri's face and smiled with a sad look in his eyes.

"I know, Seungriyah."

Seungri couldn't open his eyes to look at Jiyong. He didn't want him to see inside his soul through his eyes. He already felt vulnerable enough as it was.

Jiyong lightly kissed Seungri on the lips. Soft and warm and inviting. The maknae wished the moment would last longer, but the leader broke it off as soon as he had started it.

"I heard your message loud and clear, Seungriyah. Everyday. You're my inspiration. You know that."

"Do you love me more than music?"

Jiyong let out a deep sigh and rested his head on Seungri's shoulder.

"Everytime you ask me that, I feel my heart splitting deeper and deeper."

"Why?"

"Because my heart knows the answer but it doesn't want to betray itself."