Fourth Mission: Distance Yourself! Part 2

Me or Music?

Friday soon approached. Seungri left his dorm unnoticed and a van had come to pick him up in the morning to drop him off at the airport. He made it to Japan safely in the afternoon and took a taxi to the recording studio to begin working, just as promised. Seungri's mind was full of ideas that he had kept to himself for months. He remembered the countless nights listening to Jiyong working late on developing a melody or lyrics. He thought of YG's reassuring words. He listened attentively to Japanese pop songs playing in the streets and supermarkets.

His mind was soley dedicated to music and vowed to himself not to think of Jiyong. He had to focus. He had to...yet he found himself writing lyrics to his hyung. By the second day in the studio, Seungri had bits and pieces of two potential songs. He felt good about the verses, but the hook needed work. It wasn't until the third day that Seungri finally had a complete song. He recorded it by the end of the third day and sent the file to YG's computer elecrtonically.

Let me be the one to protect you

to keep you smiling

to lift your head up.

Let me be your shadow, always behind you watching you closely.

I want to be close to you.

Close to you.

Immediately upon hearing it, YG called Seungri to give it his approval. The CEO offered a criticism that the vocals might be too raw for the upbeat melody. Seungri agreed to re-record it and the call ended. By the fifth day, three additional songs were recorded.

Together, just us.

Teasing and chasing.

Never stop.

Let's run, hand in hand.

Until our minds spin and we collapse.

This love is dizzying.

 

When the music stops, who will you run to?

There will always be a rhythm in my heart.

Listen to the beat, forever dancing.

Until I die, this song will never stop.

This is the beat of my heart.

 

The days pass and we grow old.

Seasons change, the scenery transforms.

But your presence in my life is unchanging.

Stay by my side, always and forever.

 

By the end of the week, Seungri was exhausted. He ended up making three additional songs, with a total of six songs, and then Seungri decided to make the raw recording of his first song a bonus track. He would be leaving to go back to Seoul the next day. Seungri hadn't slept much at all, so he practically collapsed into the bed of his hostel room once he got there after a long last day in the studio. Truthfully, Seungri couldn't sleep before not because of his job really, but because he was missing Jiyong. Writing lyrics had forced him to be constantly thinking of his hyung. What was he wearing today? Had he eaten properly? Had he written any good songs while he was good? Did he miss him? Had he asked YG where he was? Jiyong had actually called Seungri's cell phone a few times throughout the week, but Seungri was always busy. Very busy...

 

Meanwhile, back in Seoul, Jiyong was getting even less sleep. Waking up without a breakfast that the panda had cooked was making him lose interest in food. He was starting to complain to Taeyang and Daesung to cook more. And his song-writing was getting him nowhere. The melodies were dull and unexciting and the lyrics felt cliche. Working in the studio didn't feel the same when Seungri wasn't there. Where was he? YG had told him he would be gone a week, but hadn't told him where he was or for what reason. He tried calling the maknae, but he never picked up. What was going on? The leader would give the panda a beating for not telling him what he was up to. Yes, a severe beating...

The next day, Jiyong was called into YG's office.

"Jiyong-ah, how are the songs coming along?"

Jiyong lowered his head at the CEO and stared at the floor.

"I'm sorry, but it hasn't been going well this week..."

Yang Hyun-Seok nodded.

"If its because you need all the members back together, I apologize. Seungri will be back in Seoul by tomorrow."

Jiyong lefted his head up and looked at the CEO.

"What time tomorrow?"

"Early evening. He'll come straight here from the airport for a meeting, and then he's all yours."

There was a smile in YG's eyes, ever aware and observant. Jiyong bowed and said his thanks, trying not to cry in relief. YG turned his attention back to his computer screen.

"Ah, looks like he finished it."

Jiyong's eyes widened,

"Do I need to leave?"

YG looked back at the leader.

"No, no, it's okay. You've waited without asking questions for long enough. Just don't leak this to the other members yet."

With that, YG clicked an attachment and a high energy dance song started playing on the computer's speakers.

 

You know you love me.

I'm your INSPIRATION.

Let me be the thriving force.

When the music stops, who will you turn to?

There will always be a rhythm in my heart.

Listen to the beat, forever dancing.

Until I die, this song will never stop.

This is the beat of my heart.

This is your INSPIRATION.

 

Jiyong's understanding of Japanese was poor, but somehow he knew what Seungri was singing. That cocky panda! The "inspiration" phrase was in English, as were "thriving force", "beat", and "heart." He knew enough. That idiot! Was the song intended for him? No way! The song was catchy and made him want to get up and dance, but the lyrics were telling him a secret message that only he was supposed to hear. Here Jiyong was, missing his maknae, while it turned out that he was in Japan all this time writing his Japanese playboy lyrics! Jiyong wanted to be mad; he still wanted to beat up the panda, but Jiyong just couldn't get Seunngri's lyrics out of his head. Actually...the words were sweet. Jiyong really did miss his maknae, and he really did need him back so he could write better music. Seungri was Jiyong's inspiration with his music. Without Seungri, his love affair with music just wasn't as strong. He needed both in his life, and maybe he did love the panda more...

No, no. What was he thinking? Jiyong was tired, that's it. He couldn't figure out his thoughts because he needed more rest. Yeah that's it...

The next day, Seungri was finally back. The meeting had just dismissed and Seungri groggily walked out of the meeting office and made his way to the good old studio. BIGBANG's studio. The original. Jiyong's studio. Seungri picked up his pace, suddenly motivated by the thought of seeing his hyung.

As soon as he turned the corner, there he was. Jiyong was at the other end of the hallway, standing in anticipation all by himself in the empty hallway.

Seungri started running. No more holding back. Jiyong started running too. Both had tears in their eyes as they collided into eachother halfway and fell to the floor. Jiyong was tackling Seungri, punching him lightly, but the panda just accepted the beatings and wrapped himself around his hyung.

"Idiot! Overly confident maknae! Fool! Japanese playboy!"

Jiyong punched him and insulted him left and right. Seungri smiled.

"YG told you, huh? Did you miss me, hyung?"

Jiyong punched him again.

"Of course I did, you dumb panda!"

He rolled Seungri over and stopped punching him. A light stream of tears washed the leader's face, and Seungri brushed away the tears with a finger.

"Have I won yet, hyung?"

Jiyong could only bury his face into the younger's chest.

"Let me think about it," Jiyong muffled into Seungri's shirt.

Seungri smiled.