Prologue

Battle of the Idols

 

Park Jin Young clasped his hands tightly together, his fingers entwining as he waited impatiently, glancing at his watch every few minutes.

As the clock hit four, the door opened and his secretary appeared, “Mr Lee Soo Man and Mr Kim Kwang Soo are here.”

Jin Young nodded, “Let them in.”

The two CEOs strode into the room, one after another. Each seated himself on a separate sofa, facing their counterparts. After a brief moment of silence, Soo Man began, “Well?”

Kwang Soo cleared his throats, “I have only three suggestions.” He pulled out three pictures and lay them face-up on the table. Jin Young frowned, “Park Hyomin, Ham Eunjung and Park Jiyeon? All T-ara members?”

Kwang Soo gave a stiff nod, “They are our best.”

“I, on the other hand, have seven to offer.” Soo Man interrupted smoothly as he placed down pictures of five artists. The two other CEOs studied their faces carefully, “Krystal Jung, Jessica Jung, Kim Taeyeon, Shim Changmin, Kim Jonghyun, Oh Sehun and Kim Jongin.”

This time, it was Kwang Soo who had a problem with it, “You do remember that this is a group of seven, and a joint project between the three of us, don’t you? Aren’t you monopolizing the group?”

Soo Man shrugged, “These are just my suggestions, whether or not to accept them is up to you. I have talented people in my company, after all.”

Before Kwang Soo could retort, Jin Young broke in, “I, have three artists to offer.” He laid their pictures down, “Jang Wooyoung, Lee Junho and Jung Jinwoon.”

“We need an all-rounded group, so the members have to be above average for both singing and dancing…” Soo Man mused out loud.

There was a pause as the CEOs studied each others’ artists. Automatically, Soo Man reached out to take away the picture of Soyeon; Kwang Soo removed Wooyoung’s photo and Jin Young took away the photos of Taeyeon and Sehun.

“Junho and Jongin are undoubtedly the best dancers of this lot.” Jin Young stated. Kwang Soo shook his head, “True, but Jongin’s vocals aren’t strong enough, and he isn’t a particularly good rapper either. It’s not enough to just be able to dance.” With that, he swiped Jongin’s photo off the table. Soo Man’s face transformed into a frown and he pointed out, “Jiyeon’s vocals are weak as well, aren’t they?”

Kwang Soo refuted his words with a smirk, “They aren’t as weak as Jongin, as proven by the OSTs that she sung for Dream High 2, not to mention that she’s a better rapper, an excellent actress and visual, and she’s the most popular member of the band.”

Soo Man was silenced. Jin Young tried to break the awkward silence, “I think Jonghyun and Junho should definitely be included. You all agree that Junho can really sing and dance, and Jonghyun is a brilliant singer, as well as a member of SHINee, the best kpop dance group. Yes?”

Soo Man nodded silently. Kwang Soo looked disgruntled, but he nodded as well. Jin Young continued, “I would suggest Krystal Jung, Jessica Jung and Park Jiyeon for the team as well. Krystal and Jessica both have excellent vocals, can dance reasonably well and are both potential visuals. Jiyeon is a renown actress, and can bring popularity to the group that way.”

Once again, the other two CEOs agreed. Soo Man pointed out, “That leaves one male member. Should it be Changmin or Jinwoon, then?”

Jin Young hesitated. Kwang Soo looked equally undecided. After a moment, Jin Young took both the photos away, “I have another suggestion.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Park Jiyeon jumped as her phone rang. She hurriedly picked it up, “Hello? President?”

Kwang Soo’s voice was brisk as he said, “Are you at the SM practice room yet? Is anyone else there?”

Jiyeon tried to keep the boredom and irritation out of her voice as she replied, “I’ve been waiting here for the past half an hour, and there’s no one here at all…”

She had spoken too soon. Just at that moment, the door opened, and the Jung sisters stepped into the room. Jiyeon stared at them, and they stared back at her.

“Jessica and Krystal-sshi have just arrived.” Jiyeon reported.

“Good. Interact with them.” Kwang Soo hung up.

Jiyeon snapped her phone shut. Then she looked at the Jung sisters with an uneasy smile, “Hi. Uh…do you guys know why we were called here?”

Jessica answered a little coldly, “How would we know? Our President didn’t tell us either.”

“Ah.” Jiyeon nodded and looked away awkwardly.

The door opened again and two men filed in. Krystal’s face brightened up, “Junho-oppa! Jonghyun-oppa! You two are here!”

Junho gave an awkward nod, while Jonghyun grinned, “Hey Krys. How’s things going?”

Before Krystal could answer, the door opened for the third time, and the three CEOs filed in. The five artists looked slightly startled to see their Presidents, and immediately bowed, “Annyeonghaseyo!”

Kwang Soo strode forward, “Let’s cut with the formalities. Our three companies have decided to collaborate together and form a group of already established artists as a new idol group to take the world by storm.” He eyed them, “And you, are our chosen idols.”

There was a long silence. Then Jonghyun asked the thought on all their minds, “What?”

“You heard him, Jonghyun. The five of you will make up a new idol group, by the name Invincible. We have handpicked the five of you as the most talented, most suitable for this elite idol group that we have formed.” Soo Man continued.

The five artists stared at each other, shocked. They had never heard anything like this before. Kwang Soo looked about the room, “Your protégé is missing, Jin Young.”

“He’s filming his show. He’ll meet them at the next session.” Jin Young replied coolly.

“Protégé?” Jiyeon couldn’t help her curiosity. Jin Young smiled, “Yes, Jiyeon. There is another member, the last member, who may or may not join your team. We have yet to assess his skills fully, so we have not decided whether or not he will join Invincible. If he does, then you will meet him soon. If not…then well, too bad.”

Soo Man withdrew five sheets of paper from his pocket, “This will be your first single. Practice it. You will debut in a month’s time.”

And with that, the three CEOs strode out of the practice room. The artists stared at each other. This was going to be hard…

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The five artists sat down on their chairs, studying the sheets of papers they had been given. Krystal groaned, “This song…it’s really hard…”

“I wonder what the dance will be like, though.” Junho mused, putting his chin on the palm of his hand. Jessica rolled her eyes, “Does it even matter? It’ll probably some super hard dance, since we’re the ‘elite group’ and all that.”

Jonghyun opened his mouth to speak, but was interrupted when the door opened again. Everyone stared in surprise, “Yunho-sunbae, Changmin-sunbae!”

Yunho and Changmin, the gods of Dong Bang Shin Ki, grinned and raised their hands in greeting. Yunho strode forward, ‘So this is the new team, then?”

“What are you guys doing here?” Jessica asked, raising an eye. Changmin clapped his leader on the back, “We’ll be the ones helping you. We’re both acting as your managers, and Yunho hyung will be your dance trainer and choreographer, while I will be your vocal trainer. Even the best need their teachers, you know.”

Krystal grinned and gave Yunho a high-five; ever since Kim Yuna’s Kiss and Cry, their relationship had improved greatly, from sunbae-hoobae, to oppa-dongsaeng. Jessica and Jonghyun both cheered; they were close to the two seniors from their company, and was more than glad to have their help. Junho, too, smiled widely. He and Changmin were friends, and they often met to go drinking and karaoke together. Only Jiyeon shifted uncomfortably. She knew none of the people here, not to mention that there was at least a three year between her and the youngest of them, excluding the cold Krystal who had so far ignored her.

“But isn’t there supposed to be another guy?” Changmin asked, looking about. Yunho frowned, “Guess he’s late.”

“Who is he, anyway?” Jonghyun asked, frowning.

Changmin’s brows knitted for a moment before he replied, “They say his name is JB. Im Jae Bum.”

-------------------------------------------------------------

Here's the introduction of how this whole mess started! Changmin and Yunho are special guests; in charge of guiding the new group. Is anyone a DBSK fan here? Also, it should have been pretty obvious to everyone that JB was the last member; but he's missing now, because he's filming a new show. That means, yes, in this fanfic, he has continued his career as an actor. This fanfic is set at least a year after Dream High 2 aired, which means that JandJ has already debuted, and JB and JR have made names for themselves, becoming amongst the most popular idols around as they overtake some of the older artists.

On a sidenote, we have at the moment 4 votes for JJ couple and 2 for Myungyeon. 3 votes for Jongsica and 1 for Jaysica. 3 votes for Myungstal and 1 for IU/Junho. However, someone has suggested I created a poll instead, and it's probably going to be a lot easier, so please answer to the polls below: