Chapter Eleven

Battle of the Idols

 

Jessica swept the hair back from her face, staring determinedly at her reflection in the mirror. She her lips once, twice, then held her arms out in position, ready to start dancing again. 

 

“Are you just going to keep practising until you drop?” 

 

The familiar voice made her jump. She turned around, only to recognise the figure of SHINee’s leader. 

 

“Onew. What are you doing here?” Jessica strolled over to the bench, picking up her bottle of water and uncapping it as she took a few sips. 

 

“You’ve been here for six hours.” Onew commented as he sat down next to her, not minding the stench of Jessica’s sweat or the stickiness of her skin. She glanced at him. “Have you been spying on me?”

 

“Not exactly. I don’t have that much time to spare, you know.” 

 

Jessica’s brows rose. 

 

“I got Key to help me for the first three hours. He actually made me pay him, the little punk.” Onew admitted with a small grin. Jessica laughed. “Somehow I’m not surprised. So what’s up.” 

 

“I’m pretty sure all of us noticed that Jonghyun moved back to the SHINee dorm last week.” Onew replied. “Don’t tell me no one in your dorm noticed.” 

 

Jessica’s expression darkened. “Well, hardly anyone’s been in my dorm. JB hasn’t been back in days - apparently he fell really ill and he moved out temporarily so he wouldn’t pass his sickness to the rest of us and I’m pretty sure Jiyeon made up with him, because she’s been out taking care of him almost every hour of the day, she leaves at six in the morning and usually by the time I go to bed she isn’t even back yet. Junho’s the only one who actually hangs around the dorm day and night, but I don’t even know him and he’s always watching those action movies of his so.”

 

“And Krystal?”

 

“She went back to f(x)’s dorm temporarily too, the President wants her to practise for their comeback. They’re making a comeback next year and the President wants her to be familiar with the choreography so he made her do it.” Jessica replied, shrugging. All of them knew that when the President asked something, you did it. She couldn’t help her bitter smirk. “Amazing, isn’t it? We’ve been a group for only six months and we’ve barely finished our promotions for our first song. Now we’re already drifting apart. At least Girls’ Generation took a few years.” 

 

There was a brief silence. Onew didn’t look at her, and if Jessica was paying attention, she would have noticed the hardness in Onew’s eyes, but she merely glared down sullenly at the floor, waiting for Onew’s usual gentle comforting to come. 

 

“What do you want me to say, that it wasn’t your fault? That you weren’t doing a bad job as a leader?” Onew’s voice was unnaturally cold, his words harsh. 

 

Jessica looked up, startled, even shocked by his words. 

 

“Jessica, you’re a leader now. You’re a leader of a group of kids who’ve never known each other, who only know each other by sight. Of course it’s going to be difficult. But that’s the whole point of a leader, isn’t it? To be a good leader you have to smooth out the edges, to be the one leading and making friends with everyone in the group. You have to make friends, and then you have to make them friends with each other. It’s not good enough to stand around laughing and joking with the people you know, you have to do it with the people you don’t know as well. When the other members are uncertain about what do to, you must be the first one to decide and take action. When another member is being persecuted you should be the first one to step up and defend that person. When the other members start to drift apart you have to be the one to bring them together again, to remind them that they’re supposed to be a group. You can’t just stand at one side and be a bystander, Jessica. When you’re the leader you have duties, responsibilities. The others look to you to be a good example. It’s not good enough to just act the way they’re acting, as if you don’t care about what happens to the group.” 

 

That flared Jessica’s temper, and she shot back furiously. “I do care! If I didn’t care I wouldn’t even be moping around-”

 

“Yeah, maybe you do care but you don’t show it. As a leader you have to show leadership, Jessica, you have to show that you care. And if you can’t do that, then your role as leader is simply void.” Onew finally turned around to look at Jessica. “Sica, I didn’t come here to lecture and scold you. I came here as a friend giving you advice. Believe me, I’ve been there. But at least when I had my problems, our group was out of the public sight - we hadn’t debuted yet. But you guys...it’s different from you guys. Invincible is made up of members the public adore - which makes it even more crucial that you get your act together and be a good leader, before the public sees the cracks in the group and begins to blame members in the group for it.” 

 

Jessica folded her arms and turned away from Onew. “Is that your advice? Yeah, well thanks, but no thanks. I can handle my group by myself. Now, can you get out? I want to practise.”

 

Onew rose slowly, more than used to Jessica’s abrasive temper. “Think about it, Sica.” Silently, he left the room. 

 

Jessica stared silently at the mirror, trying to steady her breathing. She hated being lectured at - and for all Onew had said, he was definitely lecturing her. 

 

But then, it wasn’t as if there hadn’t been any truth in Onew’s words...

 

Jessica bit back a sigh. The phrase “easier said than done” applied perfectly to this situation. After all, what the hell could she do? Call all the members and give them a stern talking-to? Krystal would definitely hate that - her sister disliked being lectured even more than she did. 

 

Or maybe...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Krystal glanced at the door, “Did someone just knock?” 

 

The other f(x) members followed her gaze to the door, having completely not noticed the knocking on the door at all. Victoria paused the music blasting from their speakers, which was playing the title song of their next comeback, Rum Pum Pum Pum. “Are you sure? Go check who it is, then.”

 

Krystal pulled herself up from the sofa, grumbling audibly about not being a maid for the other f(x) members to order around, but she headed for the door and opened it. “Yes?” 

 

Kim Myungsoo stood at the door, a smile on his face. “Hey, ‘Stal.”

 

Krystal glared daggers at the charismatic Infinite member. “Don’t call me that, you little punk.” She stepped out of her dorm, aware that her fellow members had registered Myungsoo’s presence and were beginning to quiet down, trying to eavesdrop on their conversation. She closed the door quickly. “What are you doing here?”

 

“I was in the area and I wanted to say hi.” Myungsoo replied with a small shrug. “Can’t I do that?” 

 

“No, it’s just...well, we’re kind of busy right now. Is that all?” Krystal answered. 

 

“Okay, to be honest, I’m here to ask for help.” Myungsoo confessed, his lips turning out into a guilty little grin. “Obsidian is planning our next comeback already, and Jaejoong-hyung wants us to record the title song in English as well as Korean. And according to all the others, I’m not speaking English, but Engrish. So...” 

 

Krystal’s eyebrows rose. “You want me to tutor you in speaking English?”

 

“More or less.” Myungsoo admitted. “The others already gave up trying to teach me.” 

 

“So just how bad are you?” Krystal folded her arms. “Say something in English,” she prompted. 

 

Myungsoo coughed, glancing around awkwardly to make sure no one else was around. Taking a deep breath, he bust out a loud, “Hey what’s up, yo!” 

 

Krystal couldn’t help it; she burst out laughing, nearly doubled over with laughter at his horrendous accent, and his even worse choice of words. Myungsoo frowned. “Is it that bad?” 

 

Krystal coughed. “Um, it’s kind of worse.” 

 

Myungsoo buried his face in his hands. “Oh my god I am so going to screw up our comeback, aren’t I?”

 

“Well, like I said, I’m not free right now, but maybe we could meet up another day so I could help you with your pronunciation?” Krystal suggested, her eyes twinkling. 

 

“Really? Thanks a lot!” Myungsoo looked overjoyed at her suggestion. “Say, when is Invincible having their comeback anyway?” 

 

“Well...” Krystal hesitated, wondering just how she was supposed to answer that question. On one hand, Krystal knew that SM’s favourite producers Yoo Young Jin and Kangta were hard at work on the song - since JYP had produced their debut title song and CCM was going to produce their next comeback title song - but at the same time, Invincible as a group had drifted so far apart, Krystal wasn’t sure if they could even be called a group anymore. She settled for a shrug. “They’re still discussing it, I’m not very sure either.” 

 

Myungsoo nodded. “Well, I sure can’t wait for it! Anyway, I’d better go, my manager’s still waiting for me downstairs. Bye, ‘Stal.” Before she knew what was happening, he leaned forward and kissed her on the cheek. With a cheerful wave, he hurried towards the elevator before Krystal could regain herself. 

 

Slowly, Krystal’s hand lifted to her cheek; she gaped. “That little punk...” 

 

“You’re smiling~” 

 

Krystal jerked around, shocked; she hadn’t even noticed the door opening! She smacked her leader hard on the arm. “Unnie! Don’t do that, you gave me a shock?” 

 

“So why’re you smiling to yourself like a little girl?” Sulli interrupted, leaning forward eagerly. “Did he kiss you?” 

 

“Shut up!” Krystal shoved at Sulli, but her flushed cheeks was enough confirmation for the other f(x) members. 

 

“Wow, he actually kissed you?” Amber was surprised. “You guys have only been on what, three, maybe four dates? And he kissed you already? That boy has guts!” 

 

“Not on the lips!” Krystal snapped in retort. “Why, has Henry never kissed you before?”

 

There was an awkward silence; this time the red flush spread over Amber’s face instead and she swerved around, avoiding the others.

 

Victoria and Luna looked at each other. Luna whistled as she followed Amber in. “Are you actually serious? You’ve been dating Henry for three years and you haven’t even kissed him yet?” 

 

Three pillows went flying into Luna’s face, stomach and legs respectively. Amber came charging out of her room, already armed with two more pillows. “You asked for that!”

Krystal yelped, ducking out of the way as Luna and Amber engaged in a wild pillow fight, screeching and grabbing pillows from the floor, the sofa, anywhere they could find pillow as they hurled it at each other. Laughing, Sulli joined her, jumping out of the way of a stray pillow. “This is crazy!” 

 

“No ! And we’re supposed to be the maknaes!” 

 

There was a sudden trill and Krystal looked down at her phone, surprised. She looked at the message that she had received; Sulli peered over her shoulder. “Is that your sister?”

 

Krystal nodded and opened the message, quickly scanning through it. 

 

“Oh, .” 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jiyeon knocked softly on the door; a grumpy voice emanated from within. “For the one millionth time, go away and leave me alone.” 

 

Jiyeon ignored the order, entering the room and making her way to the bed. JB rolled his eyes exasperatedly. “I told you to leave me alone, I don’t need you playing nurse.” 

 

“Given that I’ve been doing this for a few weeks already-”

 

“That’s exactly my point I’m sick of you hovering around me just go away, okay? I don’t even want to see your face.” JB snarled, glaring angrily at his fellow Invincible member. 

 

Jiyeon hesitated. “Three weeks ago you would have just screamed at me to get out.” 

 

JB scowled. “So? I just don’t want to lose my voice because of you. Now leave me alone. I’m tired of having to talk to you.” 

 

“Fei-sshi made this bowl of soup for you; she brought it in the morning and asked me to give it to you when you were awake. I heated it up for you.” She held out the bowl of soup, ignoring JB’s antagonism. 

 

JB’s eyes softened slightly. “Put it on the table. I’ll drink it later. And get out.” 

 

“JB, I think we need to talk about-” 

 

“There’s nothing for us to talk about.” JB interrupted her again, abruptly. “I don’t want to talk to you, okay? So please just let me be by myself.” 

 

Jiyeon hesitated for a moment; she saw JB’s eyes flicker to the doorway and she turned around, only to see 2PM’s Wooyoung standing by the doorway. “Did I just hear you two arguing again?” 

 

Quietly, Jiyeon rose. “It’s nothing.” 

 

Wooyoung’s brows rose skeptically, but he did not offer any judgments. Instead, he held up Jiyeon’s phone. “It kind of vibrated as I passed by it just now on the study table, I think you received a message. I didn’t look.” He held out the phone to her, waiting patiently as she unlocked it and opened up the message. Her eyes darted through the message, then widened, shocked. 

 

Automatically, JB half-rose from the bed. “What is it? Did something bad happen?” 

 

“Jessica-sshi just called for a meeting. She wants all the members of Invincible, plus our CEOs to be there at once.” Jiyeon turned the phone around, showing JB the message. “Why would she do that?” 

 

JB rolled his eyes. “Maybe, just maybe, she wants to talk about the horrendously bad teamwork that has led to only two members of Invincible left staying in the dorm after only six months of being a group? I don’t know, is that possible?” 

 

Jiyeon bit her lip, fighting her urge to snap at JB for his rudeness; the past three weeks hadn’t been easy for her either, having to face JB’s anger and antagonism. But Wooyoung and Nickhun had encouraged her to keep going; once JB saw how much she wanted him back, how much she still loved him, they were sure he would soften. But at times like this, when he was busy sniping away and being snide, she really wondered just how much he could soften to her. 

 

JB hesitated for a moment as the hurt showed plainly on Jiyeon’s face; he faltered, eyes flickering to Wooyoung. The 2PM member shook his head, mouthing “idiot” to the younger boy. As Jiyeon regained herself, Wooyoung offered. “Neither of you can drive yet right? I’ll drive you guys to the meeting point, then. Where is it?” 

 

“Strangely enough, she wanted to meet in JYPE’s headquarters.” Jiyeon replied, looking at the message again. 

 

“I wonder why she didn’t ask to meet at SM’s headquarters. She’s an SM idol, isn’t she?” Wooyoung mused. “Or is she unhappy with her company?” 

 

Jiyeon looked up at Wooyoung, alarmed. “She couldn’t be wanting out of the group, could she?” 

 

JB shrugged, looking all too nonchalant at the thought. “Only one way to find out, I guess. If we leave now and there isn’t a jam, we’ll make it there probably ten minutes early. Let’s go.” 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jessica’s fists were clenched as she waited, her eyes fixed on the table in front of her; she swallowed once, then again, fighting to contain the butterflies in her stomach. Next to her, Krystal looked down worriedly at her sister’s hands. 

 

They were trembling. 

 

“Are you sure about this, sis?” Krystal whispered softly; there was no one else in the room besides them, and Junho, who was listening to music on his mp3. Jessica’s nod looked more like an involuntary jerk of the head; she forced out through clenched teeth, “It’s the only way to show the other members that I’m actually serious about us getting our act together.” 

 

“You could just, you know, talk to them, couldn’t you?” Krystal suggested. 

 

“Do you really think Jonghyun would listen to me just “talk”?” Jessica answered through gritted teeth. 

 

At that, the door opened, and Jonghyun himself walked in, Lee Soo Man following behind him. Jonghyun’s eyes fell upon Jessica, and his jaw clenched, but he kept his face bland, walking over to sit beside Junho. Lee Soo Man, on the other hand, did not bother to keep the anger from his face. “What are you playing at, Jessica Jung? Just because your family’s rich does not give you the right nor the authority to just do as you please! You’re from SM Entertainment, why in the world would you ask to meet at-”

 

The door opened again, cutting Lee Soo Man’s words off; he whirled around, only to see JYP and Kim Kwang Soo standing behind him, eying him with brows raised. 

Soo Man swallowed his anger, stalking over to sit in one of the armchairs facing Jessica. As JYP and Kim Kwang Soo seated themselves next to Soo Man, the door opened for a final time, and Jiyeon and JB entered, making quiet apologies for being slightly late. 

 

Jessica waited until they were all seated before straightening, looking her CEO straight in the eyes. She swallowed- and then stopped, the words stuck in . 

 

Soo Man seemed to notice; his words were full of malice as he asked. “So, Jessica, why did you order all of us to meet you here? Are you not intending to address us?” 

 

Jessica swallowed again, trying to force back her nervousness; she looked away from Soo Man - and found herself meeting Jonghyun’s eyes instead. Jonghyun’s eyes darted away for a moment; then returned, searching hers. Slowly, silently, he gave her a nod. 

 

Jessica breathed in deeply. She spoke. “I know Invincible has been - well, in a rather screwed up state for the past three weeks. Ever since our promotions ended we haven’t been practising, haven’t been hanging out and bothering to bond together as a group; we’ve just been going out for our own solo events or hanging around with our own groups. This has to change. We’re a group now, we’re Invincible, and we’re here to stay. But that’s going to take effort, and it’s going to take effort from all of us. We’re all going to have to move back into the dorm, we’re going to start practising Dream High as a group again, we’re going to start making friends and start treating each other like we’re on the same side.” 

 

At those words, Jessica zeroed in on Kim Kwang Soo, her eyes narrowing. “But that also means we’re going to need your help too, sirs.” She waited until all three CEOs acknowledged her with a nod. “I propose this - from now on, there will be no decision made involving any member of Invincible without having prior approval from Invincible itself. In other words, members of Invincible will no longer take on solo events or projects without the approval of the other members - this is to ensure the members are able to schedule in events involving Invincible with a group first, and then schedule other solo events or events with our other groups around it. Any other decisions regarding the reputation of the group or even commercial decisions will also have to go through us first; that means that our companies can’t release information about any of us that we don’t agree to release such as dating news or anything like that,” her eyes flickered quickly to Jonghyun before focusing on the CEOs again, “and any scandals that we may be involved in will only be handled after we have been consulted.” 

 

Silence.  The CEOs stared blankly at Jessica, as if they hadn’t understood anything that she’d said. Her own members were gaping at her, disbelieving, shocked that she could even face them and demand such a thing. Only Jonghyun smirked, the look in his eyes knowing. 

 

Jessica folded her hands together. “Well then. Are we agreed?”

 

-----------------------------------------------

And I'm back! Wow, it's been a really long time, hasn't it? Anyway, this is the next chapter of Battle of the Idols, which basically involves development of the Myungstal line (so Myungstal fans can rejoice!). JJCouple and Jongsica, on the other hand, are a little stagnant, and Jessica finally comes up with her big "ultimatum" with the CEOs. 

 

Myungstal and JJCouple are pretty straightforward in this chapter, and I think it's Jongsica that takes a sorta-step forward; even though there's barely any interaction between them, it's clear that Jessica almost literally takes strength from Jonghyun. Initially, she was so nervous and scared of confronting the CEOs she couldn't even talk, but then Jonghyun just had to nod at her and she had the courage to go on. Jonghyun also shows his own affection for her - he was so upset with her after the previous chapter because of her rejection, but when she asked, he came and she didn't even have to ask for him to give her the support she needed. In a way that encompasses their relationship: he gives her strength, and he will always be there for her, as long as she needs him for a single moment. 

 

And Jessica's challenge to the CEOs! She's essentially threatening them and telling them that if they won't do as she asked, then Invincible, as a group, will refuse to do all the things that they need to do for them to work together as a proper group (i.e the stuff she mentioned in her first long paragraph). It's a courageous thing, threatening the CEOs, and it really shows how Jessica has stepped up in this chapter because of Onew's advice, from a leader who didn't dare to lead properly, to a leader who's challenging the bosses for the sake of her team (in a way, this is because of the impact and damage that KKS caused to Jiyeon, and Invincible as a whole's reputation because of the Hwayoung scandal, and she's also telling them that it's their fault for not doing more to bring Invincible together as a team, something which they could easily have done but didn't). So, in conclusion: a ballsy move. 

 

Next chapter should come in the next two weeks, so please anticipate it! And remember, comment and subscribe!