Chapter Eight

Battle of the Idols

 

Jessica stared at the JB in wide-eyed, unabashed awe as he stormed right out of the room, fearlessly and ignoring the reporters who surged forward, their questions rising to shouts and yells.

Jonghyun and Junho sent stunned glances at each other, both guys amazed by what JB had just done.

There was a pause as the other four Invincible members remained rooted to their seats, their eyes flickering from each other to the faces of the outraged reporters, completely unsure of what to do. Finally, Krystal stood up, picking up the mic from where JB had thrown it down.

The reporters quieted for a moment to hear what she had to say.

Krystal hesitated for a moment, her fingers clenching around the mic. Then, clearing , she began to speak, “I only recently became groupmates with Jiyeon-sshi, and honestly speaking, I still don’t know her very well. Because I don’t know her well, I don’t want to make baseless assumptions about her character, but still, based on what I do know about her, I think that she’s not that kind of person. And honestly, I’ve known her personally, for months more than you reporters. So I think none of you have any right to judge her and accuse her of bullying anyone. You people don’t even know her. It’s called slander, okay? I thought you reporters would know that better than anyone else.” Krystal was tempted to hurl the mic at the reporters, but she figured her CEO would really kill her for that, so she put down the mic with a loud thunk.

Jessica picked up the mic almost at once, “I think our two maknaes have conveyed what we want to say clearly enough. Thank you.” With that, she took Krystal’s hand and the Jung sisters left the conference room. Jonghyun and Junho rose awkwardly, and hurried out as well.

When the Jung sisters reached their car, they were startled to see JB sitting at the front seat, as far away from Jiyeon as he could. Krystal was mystified, especially after his public declaration defending her. But she shrugged. The tension between them had been obvious for ages and none of them knew what any of it was about, anyway.

The Invincible members got into their seats; their manager looked at them curiously, “Done so fast?”

Jessica forced a smile, “Yep. Faster than I expected too. Let’s go.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lee Sooman hurled the file straight at Krystal, hitting her square in the legs. She flinched, biting her lip as her legs throbbed from getting hit by the thick, heavy file. Jessica looked up at their CEO, “Don’t hit my sister.”

“You shut up!” Sooman snapped angrily. He closed his eyes, massaging his temples as he snarled, “Jesus Christ, I thought the two of you would have more sense that that. If JB wants to jump into the fire, then let him do it! Why the hell did you two have to…Just because you two are Americans with a rich family doesn’t mean you can do anything you ing want! How many complaints have I gotten about you already, Krystal? And now this? This is a scandal, a bullying scandal! You both know how our country feels about bullying and yet you still-” He stopped abruptly, slamming his fist into the table, “I don’t want to look at you. Get the out!” His voice rose to a shout, angrier than either sister had ever seen before.

Krystal and Jessica trudged out of the room, their shoulders slumped. Jonghyun and Kai were waiting outside. Kai straightened up at once, “What did he say?”

Krystal shot him a look, “What do you think?” She muttered to Jessica, “I’m going to the vocal practice room first.” Without waiting for Jessica to respond, she trudged off. Kai glanced at Jessica and Jonghyun, then he dipped his head and hurried after Krystal.

Jonghyun beckoned, “Come on, manager’s waiting to send us back to the Invincible dorm.”

He started to walk, but Jessica didn’t move. Jonghyun glanced back at her, frowning, “What’s wrong, Sica?”

“I’m a bloody lousy leader.”

Jonghyun’s eyes widened in alarm as Jessica’s eyes flooded with tears, trickling down her face, “Jessica, what are you talking about? Why, what…why would even say that?”

Jessica looked up at him, her voice cracking as she whispered, “It’s true, isn’t it? I haven’t done anything for Invincible. From the first moment all of us met each other, I’ve never stepped up as a leader to make us feel more like a team. That’s why we’re still so awkward, even after weeks and months of knowing each other. Do we even think we’re a real team? I bet none of the others think that way, and it’s because I’m such a useless leader I never even thought about it. And Jiyeon-sshi’s scandal – what kind of leader am I if I can’t even stand up for one of my own? The two maknaes did it, they had the guts to come out and defend one of their members. But me? I just lay low and tried to let the whole thing go over me. I didn’t even think of standing up for Jiyeon-sshi. I…I…” Jessica broke down completely, sobbing and weeping as she collapsed to her knees.

Jonghyun stared wordlessly at Jessica. He didn’t know what to say. He’d never seen her like that, not since all four years ago…

Taemin’s body relaxed as the music came to a halt, and he glanced at s, “What do you guys think?”

Key nodded, “It’s good. I like it.” He gave Taemin a hi-five, “Our debut is going to take the world by storm, man! Replay for the win!”

Jonghyun glanced at Onew and shrugged. If the two resident dance experts decided to change the moves for Replay, it was their call. They were vocalists, not dancers, after all. They just had to keep up.

Minho turned the music off as he glanced at his watch, “All right, people. Practice is over, and I’ve got a date.”

Jonghyun rolled his eyes, “You did not have to announce that to all of us. We have zero interest in your love life, for the record.”

Minho shot him a look of mock hurt, “How could you say that! Anyway, I bet you’re just jealous that I’ve got so many girls who want to go out with me. Are you sure you don’t want to come along? I’m sure I could set something up for you.”

Jonghyun waved the rapper away, “Save it, buddy. I’ve got better things to do with my time, especially since we’re so close to our debut.”

“And another girl to consider.” Minho muttered under his breath. Onew swatted him, hissing, “Shut up!” Jonghyun shot Minho a cold look, “Not getting a move on it?”

The evil eye got Minho moving at once, “See you guys!” He zoomed out of the practice room.

Taemin and Key stretched. Key clapped the maknae on the back, “Wanna have a dance battle?”

A wide grin spread on the maknae’s face, “You’re on hyung!”

Onew raised his hands, “Okay, I’m out of here. This is so not my scene.” He grabbed his bag, turning to Jonghyun, “You coming?”

Jonghyun shook his head, waving him on, “You go ahead, Jinki. I’ve got something to check out.”

Onew shrugged, leaving the room. Jonghyun reached for his bag and headed to SNSD’s practice room, hoping that they were still there. As he neared the practice room, he was glad to see that the lights were still on. But then he heard a shout, and he recognized that voice. Jaejoong-hyung’s voice. He stopped abruptly, automatically ducking out of sight. He pressed his ear to the door, listening.

“-Have a choice, Sica! SM’s driving us to our graves! Those ing thirteen year contracts…”

Jessica’s voice was incredulous, “So you’re saying what? You want to file a lawsuit against SM? Jae, you’re crazy. They’ll never rule in your favour. And you want me to join you in this…this insane-”

Jaejoong’s voice interrupted harshly, “I just thought my girlfriend would support me instead of cruel company that’s torturing and using us.”

“If you thought this way then why did you join SM in the first place? Jaejoong, please. This is ridiculous. It’s suicide. You’re killing your own career, so forgive me if I’m not too enthusiastic about it.”

“I didn’t…I mean I…look, Sica. I was wrong about SM, and I know it now. The other TVXQ members agree with me. We’re all going to leave. So are you with us or not?”

Jessica’s voice sharpened suddenly, “Stop lying to me, Kim Jaejoong.”

There was a pause, then Jaejoong spoke, his voice warier, “What do you mean, lying to you?”

“Changmin and Yunho don’t know anything about your plan to move. I know, okay. Have you forgotten that Sooyoung and Changmin are dating? Or that Eunhyuk and Hyoyeon are best friends with Yunho. They all just keep talking about their comeback next year, and I don’t think they have any idea about your lawsuit.” Jessica replied, and Jonghyun could imagine the accusing way she would narrow her eyes as she spoke.

The silence was even longer this time. Then Jaejoong snapped, “I guess there wasn’t any point in asking you to join us.”

Jessica’s voice became exasperated, “Jaejoong, I just debuted. I don’t have those fans or the reputation that you have. I need to think about this more carefully, okay?”

“Don’t give me that crap!” Jaejoong’s voice became a shout again, “If you don’t want to back your boyfriend, then just say so! You don’t have to come up with all those excuses!”

Jonghyun heard footsteps storming towards the door, but they suddenly stopped, and Jessica’s voice rang out, wounded, “I’m not coming up with excuses! I just think you should think this through, all right? Or…” her voice trailed off for a moment, before suddenly becoming suspicious, “Is this about cosmetics business? Are you…are you doing this for profit?”

There was an even longer, awkward silence. There was an awkward stutter in Jaejoong’s voice when he spoke, “I never…how can you even…you dare…I don’t…it’s not…so that’s how you see your boyfriend, Jessica Jung.” His voice turned cold as he seemed to regain his composure. There was nothing but acid in his voice now, “Do you even think of me as your boyfriend anymore? Is this why you’ve been ing that Kris Wu behind my back?”

There was an astonished silence before Jessica snapped, “Stop trying to change the subject! Kris already has a girlfriend, and he’s happy with Victoria!”

Jonghyun was certain that Jaejoong was sneering when he spoke again, “So you’re cheating on your boyfriend, and he’s cheating on her girlfriend? Wow, bravo!” Jonghyun heard slow, sarcastic claps. Then the footsteps resumed; Jonghyun jumped back and hid behind the door as it was flung open, and Jaejoong stormed out.

“Kim Jaejoong, come back here!” Jessica shouted. But he didn’t look back.

Jonghyun stood silently behind the door for a long while, not sure of what to do. He heard sobs, heartbreaking sobs. Slowly, quietly, he stepped into the room. Jessica had collapsed onto the floor, burying her head in her hands, the tears streaming down her face like a leaking faucet.

And just like he had four years ago, Kim Jonghyun knelt down next to the girl he loved and took her into his arms.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jiyeon hesitated, hovering awkwardly outside the door. Mentally, she berated herself, “God, Park Jiyeon, are you an idiot or what? This is your room, you shouldn’t be scared to go in!”

But she was. She was scared and nervous. Because it wasn’t just her room, it was Im Jaebum’s too.

Taking a deep breath, she knocked on the door and entered.

JB was sprawled on his bed, reading a book. His eyes flickered to hers as she entered, then looked away just as quickly.

Jiyeon sat down on her bed, facing him. She cleared , “Can I speak to you for a moment?”

“Go ahead?” He didn’t look at her.

“I’m sorry about yesterday. I’m sorry I made you mad, and thank you.” Jiyeon bit her lip.

JB glanced over at her. Then he just nodded, and continued flipping through his book.

Jiyeon felt slightly disappointed that that had been his only reaction. But then again, it wasn’t like she didn’t know why, was it?

“That’s not all.”

JB didn’t respond.

Jiyeon’s fists clenched and her breathing harshened for a moment. Closing her eyes, she literally had to force the words out, “Are you still angry at me about the baby?” 

-----------------------------------------------------

Hey guys, here's the new chapter!

Woohoo, Krystal stood up for Jiyeon too! Go Krystal!!! This actually highlights the difference between the two sisters: both are as outspoken, but Jessica is more cautious and wary of the media, whereas Krystal doesn't care as much. This is also accounts for why Krystal always gets called rude by the media while Jessica doesn't. Nevertheless it's pretty obvious Sica agrees with her sis, and feels guilty about not standing up for Jiyeon. And she finally breaks down from all the stress from meeting Jaejoong/being a leader/the scandal. Which resulted in some Jongsica!

Jaesica's past is finally revealed too. Now, for the record, I don't know why TVXQ/JYJ broke up, and I'm not pretending to know. EEverything stated up there is COMPLETELY FICTITIOUS. Okay? I only used the Crebeau cosmetics thing cos I remember reading about it being thrown around in those TVXQ forums. In this story, though, it's quite obvious that JYJ did betray Homin(I emphasize - this is FICTITIOUS) which goes to show how much of a douchebag Jaejoong is. And when Jessica guesses the truth, he turns around and accuses her of cheating on him with Kris. Yeah. 

Jonghyun on the other hand - he's this cocky, arrogant guy but when it comes to the pple he loves, he'll always be by her side, silently protecting her and guarding her. So, who do you readers think? Jaesica or Jongsica? I think definitely Jongsica. 

AND JJCOUPLE!!! WHAT WAS THAT MENTION OF A BABY?!?!?! DID JIYEON REALLY....*dramatic gasp*

You'll just have to wait for the next chapter to find out!

And remember guys, comment and subscribe!