Chapter Three

Battle of the Idols

 

Kim Myungsoo folded his arms as he waited. His CEO, the CEO of Woolim Entertainment, sat behind him, silently reading his file.

The door opened, and Gyuri stepped in, her CEO behind her.

One by one, they filed into the room. Jay Park, Kim Jaejoong, and IU followed behind Gyuri, their CEOs filing in behind them as well.

There was a long silence as the ten in the room exchanged glanced. Then Jaejoong leaned forward, taking the lead, “So, we all know why we’re here, yes?”

No one bothered to answer, so Jaejoong continued, “The companies of Core Contents Media, SM Entertainment, YG Entertainment and JYP Entertainment have worked together to set up a new group made of existing idols. According to them, it’s made of the “best idols of the kpop industry”. Even though there are no YG artists in the group, but YG will be participating by having GDragon and the other composers in YG help in the composing of this group’s songs. They have essentially declared themselves the best of the kpop industry.”

Myungsoo looked down at his hand, his eyes cold as he waited for Jaejoong to continue. When the older man did, his voice was tinged with slight anger, “The five of us gathered here don’t agree. We think that those six idols do not have the right or the talent to be in that group. They don’t deserve to be where they are.”

Myungsoo spoke up, his voice vehement, “I agree. Maybe the other five might be suitable, but Im Jaebum is just a rookie. He doesn’t have the right to be there, standing alongside with his sunbaes like an equal.”

“Yes. And Jessica Jung shouldn’t be there either. She’s just an arrogant, self-centered who can’t even dance.” Gyuri added, her eyes flashing as her fists clenched.

Jay Park just folded his arms, but no one could miss the distaste in his eyes. After a moment, he spoke; his voice was calm but the hatred was not disguised, “And Lee Junho does not deserve to be there either. He’s nothing but a traitor. What can he do besides dancing? Nothing.”

Jaejoong’s voice was scathing as he spoke, “And Kim Jonghyun. He may be a relatively good singer, but compared to Junsu and myself? He’s nothing but trash. And he can’t dance. Just because he belongs in SHINee, he’s a good dancer? The only good dancer worth mentioning in that group is Taemin, and Jonghyun is just riding on the maknae’s talent.”

IU shifted uncomfortably at the others’ comments. As everyone turned to look at her, she meekly spoke, “Um…I guess…Jiyeon’s not that good at singing? I don’t really have any problems with them…”

To IU’s relief, everyone just turned away and ignored her. Jaejoong took the stage again, “So. We have to prove to these idols just how worthless they are. Just how incapable of standing against us they are. And we’re here to form a new group. Obsidian. And we will bring them down. Are we agreed.”

And there was a roar of approval.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

He took her hands gently, pulling her down beside him. He smiled warmly at her and reached out to ruffle her hair as he spoke, “I really hope we get happy endings in the end. It’ll be so sad if we end up like old bachelors and spinsters.”

She laughed along with him, “Well, my character always ends up as an old spinster every other time, so this time I’m definitely hoping it’ll be different.”

She leaned her head against his broad shoulders, a contented smile on her face. There was a pause, as he seemed startled by her action. Then he smiled, and his arm wrapped around her shoulders, pulling her closer towards him, “Are you tired?”

She nodded, yawning, “Our schedule’s really insane, I’ve only managed to get four hours of sleep in the past two days.”

He looked shocked, “Seriously? That’s really bad for your health! C’mon, sleep for a while. I’ll wake you up when it’s time.”

She hesitated for a moment, then nodded, lying down with her head in his lap. She drifted off slowly into a happy, contented sleep; the last image in her head was that of him, smiling down gently at her.

All of a sudden, his lips met hers, and –

Park Jiyeon jolted awake with a gasp. She looked about, panicked, only to realize that she was just in her room.

Hyomin raised her head sleepily, “Jiyeon, you all right?”

Jiyeon nodded, “I…I’m fine, unnie. It was just a night-no, just a dream. You go back to sleep.”

Hyomin buried her face in her pillow again.

Jiyeon lay down again, trying to control her erratic breathing. Why had she corrected herself and said it was a dream? It’d been haunting her for so long, almost months now. She was pretty sure that qualified as a nightmare. So why did she say dream?

Because I enjoyed that dream.

Jiyeon shook her head, trying to clear it. Sternly, she told herself, “Enough! You need your sleep, stop thinking about all these ridiculous things!”

But as she pulled the blanket over herself, her thoughts turned back again to that recurring dream.

Months. She had had it for months. Every night, without fail. Sometimes she would have other dreams concerning other things. But every night, without fail, she dreamed of him. And every night, without fail, she would wake up like this. If she didn’t know better, she would have thought she was going insane.

Jiyeon sighed deeply. Was she going to be haunted by these dreams for the rest of her life? Was her guilt over what happened not enough already?

She had no answer to those questions, of course. How could she? She could only hope that tonight was the last, even though she knew that it would not be. She turned over, and wondered what he was doing tonight. Was he out for an event? Or was he sleeping? Was he having these same dreams as she did? Did he suffer the same guilt that she suffered? She wanted to ask him all these questions every time she met him, but she couldn’t. The words just stuck in as he strode past her, pretending he hadn’t seen her, every single time.

Perhaps he’s right, Jiyeon thought. Maybe pretending that we don’t know each other is better than acknowledging what happened. Even though we both know that we’ll never be able to forget each other.

Outside, the moon shone in its cold glory. 

---------------------------------------------------------

The members of Obsidian make their first appearance! Jaejoong, Myungsoo, Gyuri and Jay obviously hate the Invincible members with a passion, while IU is just the awkward duckling stuck in the middle - she doesn't hate them, she just wants to compete with them. For those who didn't realise, the whole huge part that was in italics was actually just Jiyeon's dream. Can anyone guess who the guy is? I think it's really kinda obvious...we're inching closer to the whole tension between JB and Jiyeon now...can anyone guess what really happened to them during the filming of DH2?

On a sidenote, I'm really sorry for the late update. I had a writer's block, and it's getting close to exam periods so I've had to focus on my studies lately. But don't worry, once the exams finish, the updates will definitely speed up!

And guys, remember to comment and subscribe!