Chapter Four

Battle of the Idols

 

Kim Taeyeon rolled her eyes in exasperation as she looked over at her roommate. With all her force, she hurled the pillow at the sleeping Ice Princess, “Yah! You’re going to be late for your schedule!”

Jessica just moaned, turning to bury her face in the pillow.

Taeyeon stumbled off the bed, waving her arms wildly in an attempt to steady herself. Once the SNSD leader had regained her balance, she went over to Jessica, shaking her arm as hard as she could, “Yah! Jessica Jung! Wake up!”

The door opened, and Krystal appeared, waiting. She took in the sight before her silently, then shook her head, “You’re too soft, Taeyeon-unnie.” She disappeared for a few moments, then reappeared, carrying a glass of freezing cold water. Without hesitation, she poured the water right over her sister’s head.

Jessica yelped, scrambling up so fast that she nearly tumbled off the bed. Taeyeon and Krystal both laughed; they gave each other high-fives as Jessica sat up, dripping with water. She shot them a first-rate Ice Princess glare, “YAH!”

Krystal shot out of the room so fast she was a blur. Jessica cracked her knuckles as she faced her leader, “Kim. Tae. Yeon.”

Taeyeon could only gulp.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

JB glanced at his watch, “They’re late,”

JYP sighed as he leaned back, “Could be bad traffic.” He looked over at his protégé, “So, how’re you doing?”

JB shrugged, sighing, “Okay, I guess. It’s getting a bit stressful, what with my upcoming drama, the JJProject activities and now the Invincible activities.”

On the other side of JYP, Junho shook his head, “You’re busier than I was when I was a rookie.”

JB grinned, “Yeah, but I’m definitely not busier than you are now. You’re preparing for your comeback, right?”

Junho nodded wearily. JYP looked sympathetic, “I’m sorry for overworking you boys. Hopefully the other CEOs won’t mind us postponing the Invincible debut date. I don’t want it to clash with your activities, Junho.”

The door swung open, and Kim Kwang Soo strode in, “Not a chance, Park Jinyoung. I’ve planned T-ara’s debut so that it’ll be right after Invincible’s promotions, so there’s no way we’re postponing it.”

“Junho will collapse if he has to promote for two groups at once.” JYP replied, his tone sharp as flint. Kim Kwang Soo sat down, “Then you’ll just have to postpone 2PM’s activities.”

JYP’s fists tightened in anger, and Junho shifted uncomfortably.

Jiyeon entered the room; JB immediately stiffened, his gaze shifting to his hands. Kim Kwang Soo pointed at the seat beside JB, “Over there, Jiyeon, so that there’s space for the SM people.”

Jiyeon hesitated. JB did not meet her gaze, as he stared silently at his hands.

Slowly, unwillingly, she made her way to her seat and sat down beside him. It did not escape her notice, as he slowly, inconspicuously shifted his chair slightly away from her.

The door slammed open, and Jonghyun charged in with Lee Soo Man, panting hard, “Sorry, there was a jam on our way here.”

The others nodded, and the duo sat down beside Kim Kwang Soo. Only Jessica and Krystal were waiting now. Everyone was feeling impatient; JYP began to tap the table unconsciously, while Kim Kwang Soo leaned back and folded his arms, his face clearly displaying his displeasure.

After nearly fifteen minutes, the missing sisters appeared. They too were breathing hard; both bowed in apology at the same time, “We’re sorry we’re late.”

“What’s your excuse?” Kim Kwang Soo snapped. Both girls hesitated, and Krystal’s eyes flickered quickly to her sister.

“Well?” The CCM CEO demanded.

Quietly, embarrassedly, Jessica admitted, “I overslept.”

There was a pause. Then Kim Kwang Soo drew himself up, as if preparing for a tirade, “Do you know how irresponsible that is? As the leader, you’re late? You should be the first to arrive, not the last. And how can it be because you overslept? If it was a traffic jam, then that would be forgivable, but-”

“That’s enough.” Lee Sooman interrupted, “Let’s discuss the more pertinent matters at hand.”

Kim Kwang Soo opened his mouth to protest, but JYP shot him down, “I agree. Let’s just make sure this doesn’t happen again and move on.”

Jessica and Krystal quietly took their places. JYP spoke first, “I want to delay Invincible’s debut, because I think that Junho won’t be able to deal with the pressure of performing for two groups at once. Also, JB’s got a new drama, and I think that he’s going to be stressed out too.”

“I disagree.” Kim Kwang Soo immediately replied, “It’s unreasonable that we should be screwing up everyone else’s schedules just for your artists.”

There was a pause as everyone stared at Lee Sooman, waiting for him to speak. The SME CEO cleared his throat, “I disagree as well. But not for the same reasons. We have a problem.”

He drew a file from his briefcase, and handed out copies of a document to everyone. JYP stared down at it in confusion, “Obsidian? What is this?”

“The minor companies in Korea are pissed off, apparently. One of my contacts told me that they’re planning to debut a group soon, called Obsidian, with the members you see on the document. Their sole purpose is to rival Invincible, and prove themselves better than Invincible. I think that we should debut our group as soon as we can, so they can receive more love from the public and let them build up a bigger fanbase.”

There was a long silence as everyone studied the documents. Then JB spoke up, “If the minor companies are trying to beat Invincible, then I agree that we should debut as fast as possible, so that it would give us more of an edge over this Obsidian.”

JYP frowned, worried, “Will you be able to cope?”

JB nodded, determined, “I’ll be able to do it.”

Jiyeon stared at him silently, remembering the determination he had displayed on the set of Dream High 2 as well. Staying back to discuss with the directors and scriptwriters, helping the staff to clean up the sets after they were done, and practicing his lines at every available moment with whoever was free. Unconsciously, she smiled.

Junho took a deep breath, “I’ll do it, too. We can handle this.”

JB and Junho exchanged a glance and grinned at each other. JYP looked proud as he looked at his artistes, and even Sooman seemed to admire their determination. Kim Kwang Soo cleared his throat, destroying the moment, “The six of you will move into your new dorm today. You have two more weeks to practice, so I expect you to treasure every moment of it.”

Everyone stood up. Kim Kwang Soo turned to Jiyeon, “You’ll share the JYP members’ car, because I have to leave for another event first.” Without another word, he swept out of the room.

Jiyeon hesitated, uncertain. JYP noticed her nervousness and strode over to her, “Come on, then. Let’s get to the car.”

The two of them walked out of the room, with JB and Junho following behind them. As they reached JYP’s car, he held out the car keys, “Who wants to drive?”

“ME!” Junho’s hand shot into the air, and he grinned like a playful kid. JYP raised an eyebrow at the other two, “You guys are underaged?”

Both JB and Jiyeon nodded silently. The CEO grinned, “Get in the back of the car, then.”

They got into the car, and JB immediately shifted to the other end. Jiyeon noted it quietly, but did not say anything, merely turned to look out of the window.

Meanwhile, in the SMTown’s van, Sooman was busy reprimanding Jessica, “I don’t care how tired you are, I don’t want to see this situation again. That Kim Kwang Soo was literally hopping with joy at the chance to embarrass SME. So don’t let me-”

“Sir,” Jonghyun interrupted, “I’m sure it’s a once-off thing, and Jessica won’t do it again.”

There was a pause as Sooman stared at Jonghyun. Then he said shortly, “Make sure it doesn’t,” and got out of the car.

Jessica shot Jonghyun a look, “I’m not going to thank you, because I didn’t need your help.”

Jonghyun shrugged, “Suit yourself. You know you owe me, anyway.” He smirked, and Jessica snapped, “Like I said, you did that of your own volition, so I don’t owe you anything.”

Jonghyun made a big show of taking out his headphones and covering his ears as he whistled, pretending he couldn’t hear her. Jessica turned away, muttering, “Stupid .” But Krystal saw the corners of her sister’s mouth turned up in a reluctant smile.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“This is our new dorm?” Junho asked incredulously. The others stared, stunned. Awed, Jonghyun spoke, “This is bigger than the SHINee dorm! And Suju’s dorm, even!”

JYP grinned, “Only the living room, kitchen and practice room are this big. There are three rooms, so one guy and one girl will have to share. I’ll leave you to decide.” And with that, he left the Invincible members to themselves.

Jonghyun immediately suggested, “Maknaes share.” He looked pointedly at JB and Krystal.

Jiyeon looked away, but she could not deny the pang of jealousy. However, Krystal protested, “No! I want to room with my sis!”

Jessica nodded vigorously in agreement, “I’m with Krystal. JB and Jiyeon can share.”

“No.” JB spoke up at once, his voice quiet and firm, “I don’t want to.”

“You don’t have a choice kiddo.” Jonghyun pointed out. The main vocalist stretched and lugged his luggage to the room he would share with Junho. The two sisters had already strode to their room to check it out. Junho patted JB on the back, “Relax, it’ll be pretty fun rooming with a girl.” And then he too left them alone.

JB and Jiyeon were silent for a moment, avoiding each other’s gazes. After a moment, Jiyeon asked quietly, “Have you been well?”

“Yes.” JB answered, his voice not as hostile as he expected. There was another awkward pause; Jiyeon looked up, and her eyes met his. She was startled for a moment; she had seen in his eyes something that she had not expected – longing.

JB looked down, “Let’s move in, then.” He took her luggage up, carrying hers in one hand and his own in the other. Jiyeon protested, “I can carry the luggage my-”

“I’m a guy.” JB interrupted, “You’re not. So leave it to me.” And he carried her luggage to their room.

Jiyeon stared after him for a minute. Then she smiled, “Pabo JB. Why try to hide when you’re still as sweet as ever?”

---------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys, I'm back! 

So, there's little couple interactions in this chapter, just a short bit of Jongsica and JJCouple, in which the guys demonstrate their manliness and the girls appreciate how sweet they're actually being. And JJCouple are sharing a room! Expect juicy bits from them XD 

I also focused more on the CEOs in this chapter. JYP is a really nice guy; he's practically more like one of the artistes than a CEO, and he genuinely cares for his artistes. Sooman also cares a lot about SMTown, but he's a lot stricter and he won't hesitate to scold or punish. Kim Kwang Soo, on the other hand... just a plain old jackass. Who else feels bad that T-ara and Davichi are under him? *Raises both hands*

In any case, Obsidian and Invincible will have their first face-off in the next chapter. Expect lots of intensity, and a lot more shippy moments in the next chapter! 

Also, I've got a new fanfic, Oneshot Collections: Love in Korean Pop. I do mainly JJCouple, Myungyeon, Myungstal, Myungzy, Jstal and Jzy. There will also be other pairings i focus on like exoshidae(Sestal and luyoon, anyone?) and 9PM, so please check it out! You can also request couples that you like. Here's the link: http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/259461/oneshot-collection-love-in-korean-pop-myungstal-myungyeon-jjcouple-kaistal-sestal-exoshidae

And remember guys, comment and subscribe!