Until the Last Feather Falls

Angels and Demons: Those with Wings

Dongho woke up the next morning, frightfully exhausted. Since when did he sleep so long, anyway? Most of the time; he slept for an hour or two and carried out his day from that. He didn't remember when he fell asleep, exactly, but it was now seven in the morning. The last time he remembered was eleven at night.

Where had all the hours gone?

“Up! Get up!” AJ yelled, “Get dressed, school starts at eight,”

A few groans and moans were heard from the pile of demons near the couch, probably wondering the same things Dongho was at that moment.

Dongho buried his face back into the cushions, and went back to sleep. The others, though, were up and getting ready. There's just something about being on Earth that drains a person.

“Dongho! Get your up! We have to leave in five minutes!” AJ yelled, hitting the body part said in his request.

Dongho yelped, putting a hand to his backside, to shield it from further abuse, “What was that for!” he exclaimed, glaring at the offending man.

“You won't get the hell up!” AJ threw an outfit on his lap and commanded, “Hurry and get dressed. Comb out your hair, while you're at it,”

Grumbling, Dongho knows he deserves what he got. Unfolding the garments, he sighs.

“Where did you even get these?”

“It's your school uniform. Kyuhyun made arrangements to pay for everything we'd need,”

With nothing left to stall with; Dongho went ahead and got ready. His hair was an absolute mess, so he just stuck his head under the faucet to flatten in down. People would think he'd just gotten out of the shower, or something.

Refreshed, yet still sleepy, Dongho lazily put on his socks and shoes. All the other demons were up and about, gathering school supplies like pens, notebooks, pencils, paper; and not only that, but AJ was handing out a few papers himself.

“Here's your schedule and a map. The principal said he'd arrange a guide for us, though, so don't stress too much about finding your classes,”

Dongho could not believe this was happening. He has never gone to school; not even in Hell. Apparently, pure demons got out of being whisked away to education, simply because they came directly from Lucifer. They were, supposedly, as smart as angels.

Well, Kyoungjae would have no problem on this mission. For one; he used to be human, long, long ago. Probably even before Lucifer's Fall. So he was used to feeling human emotions, somewhat, even if the practice may be long forgotten.

And for two; he knew things demons could only dream of. He knew things most people would never even think of. Angels had that privilege, as well: the right to know all the wonders of the universe.

The only thing Kyoungjae would have troubles with is adjusting to school life. But all of the group would; Xander especially. Four out of four were silently (figuratively) praying that he wouldn't have a meltdown in the middle of class.

As they enter the doors of the building; it's clear they would need that guide everywhere they went. It looked a lot more manageable with no one in the hallways.

As if by luck; they spot him. Their target.

He was laughing, conversing with another student, at his locker. He slung his backpack over his shoulder, muttering something to the other boy, and eventually waved goodbye, walking down the hallway, towards the quartet.

“Kevin said that he had to go to the office to tour some new students around,” Kyoungjae said, “Sorry. Angel hearing,”

AJ gave a half grin, “I guess you aren't so bad to have around, Angelboy. That means he's touring one of us around. Let's go,” the group headed toward wherever Kevin was going.

“We should probably tune down the angel and demon thing. At least here,” Dongho pointed out, “And anyway, he could be very useful with that. Spying on them, and whatnot,” mainly, Dongho wanted to cover up the fact that he was so not into this mission.

“I wasn't useful before that? Gee, thanks,” Kyoungjae muttered sarcastically.

The four stepped through the office and went straight to the principal's door, after telling the workers who they were and what they were there for. Butterflies rose in Dongho's stomach as the door slowly creaked open.

A mean-looking man sat behind the desk. He was so big that his knickknacks and pens seemed miniature in his presence. His sides practically spilled over the arms of his chair and his neck was hidden under rolls of skin.

Grimacing, Dongho gulped. How could someone get so big? He would never understand Gluttony.

“Hello, boys. We have three others that will be here soon, but we'll go ahead and start,” despite his appearance; he had a kind voice and smile, “Hmm, let's see. Dalton, Cody, Leslie, and Kevin, choose someone to tour around,” he picked from a pool of seven people, the other three saved for the people that have yet to arrive.

The group tried not to stare at Kevin to see who he'd pick. He seemed reluctant, letting the demons know that the angels had already met him, and he was hoping he'd get paired up with those new students.

AJ got picked by Dalton, Xander by Leslie.

Kevin hesitantly walked up to the last two, deciding. His eyes flicked to Kyoungjae, and held his gaze. He blinked once, and when his eyes opened again, they were downcast.

Simply standing beside Kyoungjae, he mumbled, “Same as Allen's...”

“Hm?” Kyoungjae asked, leaning down to get a better ear on his voice.

“Nothing, you just... Have the same eyes as my friend,” Kevin smiled breathtakingly, “That's all,”

Kyoungjae looked down at the smaller boy, almost disbelievingly. He was so beautiful, moreso than any guy should be. He definitely had the looks and kindness of an angel. Kyoungjae thinks it will be impossible to corrupt this guy... And he's not sure if he really wants to.

No, he can't think like that. If he does anything, anything at all, that might save Kevin, he'd get sent back to heaven. An angel's fall can be nixed by the saving of a human life, or saving them from demonhood. No matter how long after their fall, even centuries, like Eli. In fact; the official time limit is;

until the last feather falls. Referring to the molting that takes place in Hell, of course. And the last time Kyoungjae checked; he still had about thirty of his feathers left.

He had the overwhelming desire to protect the smaller boy, and he knew that wasn't good. Especially with two rivalries fighting over him. Things could get dangerous.

One thing was for sure; he had to force himself to hate Kevin. Or risk being thrown back to the prison he used to call Heaven.


 

In just one day at this 'high school', Dongho has already seen how weak humans are. Most people think the Cardinal Sins-- better known as the Seven Deadly Sins-- are mainly a demon thing. That demons feel them more than humans, live them, even. This could be so; if they were on Earth. Humans are more susceptible to them, having fragile mental states.

You see; the Cardinal Sins were Satan's creation. It's how he kept himself occupied within his chamber. He gives them to demons to bestow upon humans, but they never actually get infected. Sometimes, with half-humanity, demons do fall subject to a few bouts of Lust, or reigns of Slothfulness; but never as much as humans do.

He saw Lust in the girls that wore short skirts and low shirts, just to get men's eyes on them. In the way boyfriends touched girlfriends in the hallway.

He saw Pride in the 'jocks' that roamed the school, with their head held high and loud voices booming to be heard and have all eyes on them. In the cheerleaders who looked down on 'normal' girls.

Gluttony in the kids who ate the equivalent to three meals at lunch time, and at least some food during the class periods. In the teachers who go out to eat fast food everyday for lunch.

Greed. Gambling and betting on sports games in between class breaks.

Sloth. The slackers who only show up to class to copy the assignments

Girls who look upon other's nice clothes, hair, bodies with a wantful eye. Envy.

The bullies, shoving people against lockers and starting something for no reason. Wrath.

He could even recognize some that were long-forgotten; almost even to his knowledge. The ones that were prime when he was still stuck delivering the Sins. Like Acedia; something he was very famous for, back in Hell. Most students here did important projects at the last minute; or scribbled down answers as they corrected papers in class. Probably too busy with social media websites and keeping up with the latest pop music.

And Vainglory. Something that never really went away, but is almost common practice in the era. Sometimes, the teens would take pride in something that they didn't even really do. Like how they will boast over the basketball team's latest win, even if they were merely sitting in the stands.

Dongho couldn't help but feel like he was above them. He has lived a lot longer than any human on Earth today, and definitely knows more about how humans work; even if he's never been one.

After all; he used to hand out the Cardinal Sins to anyone he could find. Simply Lilith's commands. Plus; it gave him something to do, so he never really complained. Back in that day; it was hard to make humans lazy about anything. They were always go, go, go. Can't waste any time.

But Dongho had been able to make them slow down, forget their cares for a while. Take a short nap, it will be there in the morning. He was very good at bestowing Sloth and Acedia.

He doesn't mean to brag; but that's probably why Acedia doesn't really exist anymore. It now goes hand-in-hand with Sloth. Same with Vainglory and Pride. Though, he thinks it's not as shameful to have Pride.

However; the only humans he could find that did not exhibit the traits normally prominent in humans were expected, actually. Kevin Woo and Allen Kim. Of course they'd be pure. However; Allen is quite sarcastic, and sometimes rude, but he's never committed a Cardinal Sin, that Dongho has seen. He does get angry, but not to Wrath level.

In fact, the Sins were so bad here; he didn't even need to really search for the angels. They could be spotted on their own. Not to mention their eyes. No human has eyes like they do.

“Dongho...” Xander called from the kitchen, “You've noticed it, too, right?” he asked.

“Noticed what?” Dongho returned. He already had a few ideas of what it could be, but didn't feel like sorting them out.

“How pure Kevin is. It seems as though we won't be able to win him over. What if these really will be The Last Days?”

“No, I don't think so.” Dongho rejected, “There has got to be some way. Do you remember the days when you had to spread out the Sins, before they got lower level demons to do it?”

“Yeah...” he replied slowly, “But I haven't practiced it a long time and--”

“AJ would have just gotten out of that. He should be in practice, still,”

Xander fidgeted. Poking his fingers together and pulling slightly on the bottom of his shirt, he spoke softly, “I think... Satan likes him, though...”

“What!” Dongho asked, incredulously. How could this be? Were the demons setting them up for failure, or did they not know what Satan truly wants?

“I mean-- when he sees through the Eye, I get a brief flash of what he feels when I settle on something for a small moment. It was a quick emotion change, so maybe it was just me...”

“It probably was,” Dongho soothed, “There's no way Satan would want Hell destroyed,”

“The thing is... I wanted to hate Kevin so bad. He's in my Creative Writing class. I looked at him from across the room, slightly glaring, feeling hatred. Then I suddenly felt happiness and delight. Like it's what Satan was feeling,”

Dongho said nothing. Up until now, he was just going to sacrifice Kevin as a demon to get this whole thing over with, and go back to his 'home'. He'd have more time to figure out a way to achieve angelhood if he were just sitting on his bed, doing nothing.

But this newfound knowledge...

Gave him hope.

“Dongho, I want you to try something,” Xander suddenly said, after a long silence filled only by advertisements on the television screen.

“What's that?”

“Think back to the beginning,” a certain, knowing, light shined in his duo-toned eyes, “The very beginning. What's your first memory?”

Ah, that's an easy one. Excruciating pain as wings sprouted from his back at a rapid rate. Even angels had their wings come in over time.

“What do you remember hearing first?”

Dongho thought hard. His first sound? A laugh. Demons, just above him, were torturing new human souls and loving it.

“Smell?”

A little harder than the other questions. He supposed he smelled the blood dripping down his back as it hurt to move his wings at all.

“Touch?”

He first touched his chest, a rapid pumping just behind it surprised him. He remembered being very shocked at the feeling of his heart beating.

“Sight?”

His seeing eyes first fell upon a human. Dongho was down in Hell, of course, looking up to Earth. The human was shorter than most, with blonde hair and a kind smile. Dongho pushed the Sins on him until he sat on his bed, unmoving for days upon days and eventually starved to death.

“Think before all of that. Before your got your wings, before you were ever spawned from Satan's body. Do you remember? Do you still have your memories from Lucifer?”

Dongho opened his eyes, which he had unknowingly closed, answering all the questions thrown at him in his mind, “No. I don't--”

“Just try. It will take a while to remember. Take a little while to just try and go back to before you had your own conscious body,”

He sighed and closed his eyes again. His mind leaped back and forth; present to past; future to present. He couldn't concentrate on any one thing.

After about twenty minutes of failure, he huffed and gave up. Xander smiled softly.

“Keep trying. You'll probably be able to figure out what part you are, if you can do this”

Dongho was pretty sure he'd never get his mind calmed down enough to accomplish any of that. But nonetheless; questions still swarmed about his mind. The curiosity came up and up, until it almost consumed him.

Where did I come from?


 

Soohyun's tour guide yesterday was possibly the worst guide ever. The poor girl was so scatterbrained that she had told him the rooms wrong half of the time, and she always dropped something when he met her eyes.

The funny thing is, though, is that when he'd try to help her pick them up, she'd scramble, beat him to it, and run off without saying anything.

So, while she told him the wrong rooms half of the time, the other half he'd have to find himself. And he did a better job than she.

So, the next day, he decides to tell Courtney that he won't need her assistance anymore. She seems relieved, but still blushes down in disappointment.

Gosh. Humans are so contradictory.

“Hello,” Soohyun awkwardly stood in front of a class that he didn't come to yesterday, “I'm Soohyun. I just came here from New Jersey,”

The teacher told him where he was placed in the seating chart, “Right next to the other new student. I heard we have seven in total, and two of them are your cousins, correct?”

Ah, y-yes...” Kibum had told Soohyun, and the other two, to just go ahead and lie. Leeteuk said that any minor transgressions committed on Earth would not reflect poorly on them in Heaven.

It was still weird for all three, though, to blatantly lie, even if humans were too trusting.

“What brings you over here?” the teacher asked.

Soohyun's eyes widened. Ah, Kevin asked this question. What had Kibum said? “My parents got a job out here,” he blurted, “So we moved,”

The teacher was intrigued. Perhaps he could smell a fib, just like all archangels? “What do they do?”

Crap. They hadn't gone over this. And even if they did; Soohyun couldn't remember it when being put on the spot. He had to think, think of a human profession. And quick.

“They're farmers!” Soohyun thought of little Cheolyoung and his farm house in South Korea.

The entire class burst out laughing at the angel's display. Not only did he say it so fast that it was almost unintelligible, but the profession was just so...

Ridiculous.

The teacher, chuckling, said, “Farmers? On the west coast?”

W-well... They used to be farmers. But now they're...” He thought back to last night. Kibum, the expert liar of the group, had said to say a generic job like food packaging, or doctor. Soohyun took his advice.

“Oh, I've heard of things like that,” the teacher, Mr. Allread, he noticed on the whiteboard, “They start off with farms, then sell and slowly progress until they can run a business off of it,” he smiled, knowingly, “Good for your parents. Go ahead and take your seat,”

Soohyun was glad he chose food packager. Thinking about it; he couldn't really see how they could move up from being on a farm to working in a hospital. They just seem too different.

As he sat down, he did recognize this person. But not from Heaven, or even anywhere in the school, before.

Dongho.

Soohyun hadn't known Dongho was sent along with his adversary. Nonetheless, he was glad to see him. There was just something about Dongho... He didn't seem like a demon at all. He was too kind for that.

“Hello,” Soohyun smiled, realizing he had spoke-- or thought-- too soon. Dongho wasn't being kind at all. He glared at the angel and looked at the front of the room, copying down page numbers for their assignment.

Soohyun huffed. So, now that he's on some big, bad, important mission, he thinks that he's too good for the angels? He seemed to look pretty longingly into the city that day they met.

But when the teacher finally stops lecturing about chemical compounds and reactions-- the kind of stuff that was child's play to angels--, Dongho turned to him.

“Sorry. You were interrupting a very important thought process I was having,” the younger said, adding in a muttered tone, “And I almost had it, too...”

“What were you think about?” Soohyun's face contorted into confusion. What could be so important that it required all thought process present? Demons are weird.

Dongho scrutinized the angel. Could he be trusted? Of course not. But that didn't stop him from liking the older. Besides, if what he wishes comes true, Soohyun will be his brother one of these days.

He still won't tell him much, though, “Nothing you need to know,”

Soohyun tilted his head, then adopted a look of disgust and scorn, “Ugh. Demons,”

Dongho felt very offended. Of course an angel would jump to that conclusion. But, no. For his information; he was not thinking of anything but emptiness as he tried to go back far enough to find Lucifer's memories.

“If you really want to know, I was trying to recall memories from long ago, angel. Long before you were even thought of,”

The bell rang, and before Soohyun could respond, Dongho stood up and grabbed his things, huffing out of the room. How could Dongho say that? Soohyun had been created before him.

Unless he was talking about something different. After Dongho mentioned he was a 'pure demon', Soohyun started thinking. He knew about them, somewhat, but what he hadn't known is that they carried memories from Lucifer, before his fall. Memories that the body part they were formed from controlled.

After the Fall of Lucifer, new angels had been created, for the purpose of filling the holes his army had left. And more were created after The Industrial Revolution, and the population rose to staggering heights. Now, angels are 'born' almost every day as the birth rate of humans exceeds the death rate, and a good number of them are choosing Hell instead of Heaven.

Soohyun's thoughts, as he sat in his other classroom-- his Senior history class—, revolved around the angel's mission. They had already located the Wing, so the most important part was through.

Now, they needed to find Xander and get him on their side, since he was the Eye. Also, the other famous parts. Journeying to Hell might be a requirement.

The Heart, though, was the most important. And the only one they have no clue who it might be.

Dongho might be an important part to the angels. Soohyun needed to find out where he originated from.
 



A/N: Hory Shet. This is a frickin' long chapter O.o 3,622 words. The other ones were in the low 2,000s... D: And I thought this one would be short... -_-;

I'm in love with The Dangerous Summer. The only American/English stuff I listen to anymore. LOL.

I was sooo distracted this weekend XD I'm sure all of us were. But I TOTALLY intended to write while refreshing search pages, but that just didn't happen >.< So here's the chapter...

Thanks for reading ^__^