First Encounters and Mission Calls

Angels and Demons: Those with Wings

Dongho sighed, touching the beautiful gold gates that towered over him. He was about to go into forbidden territory... A place where angels roamed. Heaven. Him, with his filthy face and tainted wings. He would be killed on the spot, if he were mortal.

As he slid past the gate, he felt instantly pure and cleansed. He knew it was a lie, but he delighted in the feeling. His hair faded to a white color, pupils decreasing to a normal size. For once, he had whites and irises-- even though the color was a deep brown.

How he wished he could have been an angel. What he would give, to be this pure. But his wings. Unfortunately, those had only dinged into a deep gray.

Angels are so privileged, he sneered. The only hope for a demon to be anything else is to rip off his wings and become mortal among humans. They cannot go back.

Angels, on the other hand, can become human or a demon. But they can always go back to angelhood. Since they don't have to rip off their wings to do either.

'Dongho? Where are you? It took me forever to reach you,' Dongho rolled his eyes. Eli-- called Kyoungjae in Hell-- used to be an angel. The younger resented him for knowing this kind of purity and giving it up to be as filthy as him.

Maybe if he stays in Heaven long enough, he will turn into one of its inhabitants.

'None of your business,' he replied, channeling his thoughts back.

'We have a mission call,' Kyoungjae snapped, 'Get your home before I pluck all those damn feathers of yours,'

Dongho huffed, knowing he really would go through with the threat if he didn't return quickly.

He was one of the pure race, one of the last known ones. Direct descendants of Lucifer, or Satan, as he's known as in Hell. His wings had feathers, like an angel's. All the others, who used to be human, had spindly bat-like wings. The only other demon he knew of, anymore, of his race was Xander. Most demons like him hide away in the depths. They've just lived too long.

Kyoungjae, however, still had a few of his feathers attached from his fall. They were starting to degrade, though, down to the bone.

Maybe that's why Dongho wanted to be an angel. He was similar to them, in a way.

Stepping past the gates, he is hit with reality and his true identity. His impurities, left upon his entrance, slammed back, covering him with a layer of filth embedded into his skin. He's so sick that he wants to throw up. He supposed it would be worse if he were a born angel stepping into Hell, though.

A last fleeting glance of the city is met with an inhabitant. The angle hovered, just slightly, above the ground. Its wings fluttered, light as a butterfly's. Eyes wide, it conveyed its thoughts directly to Dongho, just like Kyoungjae had. Dongho hadn't known angels and demons could converse like this.

'I've never seen a demon before,'

Dongho scoffed, 'Congratulations. Would you like a cookie?' he thought sarcastically back.

The angel ignored the comment, and continued, 'Did you used to be an angel?' he asked.

Dongho's heart swelled at the compliment. Did he really seem like one? 'No. Why?' he answered honestly, something his kind would appreciate from a demon.

'Your wings have feathers. I've only heard of them having barbs,'

Dongho laughed audibly at his ignorance, 'We're not that evil, you know. The only one who has barbs on his wings is Satan himself,'

His eyes widened to saucers, his pupils shrinking, revealing more of the pale blue iris, 'You've seen Satan?'

'No... None of us have, thanks to your Michael. It's common knowledge where I'm from, just how everyone knows some of us have feathers instead of bare skin,' Dongho informed, 'Didn't they teach you this?'

'No... But they're very beautiful. Your wings, I mean,'

Dongho blushed, turning away from him to hide the fact. 'I have to go now. My friend will rip out all these pretty feathers if I'm not home soon,' he regretted having to call Kyoungjae his friend, for lack of a better word.

'I'm glad you were the first demon I encountered. I was really afraid of them... But you look a lot better than what I was picturing. And a lot nicer than what I've heard,' he said, pausing Dongho for a moment, 'I'm Soohyun. Let's meet again, okay?'

Dongho said nothing else, outstretching his wings for flight. Once at full span, he pushed off the ground, airborne. Just before he felt the connection between him and Soohyun sever, he decided to say, 'I'm Dongho. I'll be back soon. I promise,'

A single black feather fell in his departure, slipping through the gold bars to the city of Heaven. By the time it hit the ground, it had been bleached a pure white.


 

Soohyun hasn't told anyone about his encounter with the demon, Dongho, yet. He knew the rules; no demon is allowed on Angel territory. Same goes with angels on Demon's, the only exception being a Messenger. But Soohyun was pretty positive Dongho wasn't bringing a message to Heaven; the city would have been talking about the expected arrival of a demon for weeks now.

So he didn't want to blather about it, in case Dongho got into any kind of trouble. Though, technically, he was just on the outskirts of the city, it may still count. There's a sort of Limbo between each world; Heaven, Hell, and Earth. It was mainly seen as Human territory, but the one between Heaven and Earth is where humans are evaluated by angels to see if they are fit enough to be a part of Heaven. The angels reigned there as well. Being in 'Heaven Limbo' could very well hold a demon accountable.

Argh! He was just dying to tell someone! Where was his best friend when he needed him?

Ah, right. Stupid Kibum was watching over the famous Kevin Woo on Earth. Soohyun rolled his eyes. He's been with that stupid kid since before he was born. And he thinks Kevin is about fifteen now.

No, Soohyun doesn't have any contact to Kevin's life. But having a Guardian assigned on Earth is a huge deal. Several Archangels have the job of studying him and Kibum to make sure they are headed down the right path, sort of like having other Guardians. Word of Kevin's progress gets passed down the grape vine very fast.

After all, this human was important to the human race's survival, even the survival of angels. Just to have an idea of how important these people are; Albert Einstein had one, as well as Thomas Edison. And, believe it or not; Hitler had one too. But his angel fell to demonhood shortly after.

Though, every angel has an assigned human in which they watch over. They also had a certain way to monitor their human's life. At any moment, Soohyun could look down at him-- Cheolyoung-- and guide him. Telepathy, mind-reading. Whatever you want to call it. Whenever their human was in grave danger, the angel will feel it like a warning signal in their brain. They are with their human until it dies. Shortly after, they are assigned a new one.

It only worked from the assigned angel to the assigned human, though. The human couldn't send anything back, nor could another angel send anything to the human. Some angels did better than others, but it mainly depends on the human's listening skills.

His child, Cheolyoung, was running around his family's farm at this moment. He ate a rose bud right off the stem. Soohyun chuckled.

He progressed through fairly dense trees, in search of more snacks. He stopped at a bushel of, what appeared to be, raspberries. He looked curiously at them, kneeling down to examine them closer.

That warning sign when off in Soohyun's head as Cheolyoung plucked a berry off the bush. And, if he knew this kid at all, he'd eat the whole plant before he realized something was wrong.

'Don't eat those! Poisoned!' he shouted through the one-way line.

Cheolyoung's brow furrowed, but he sniffed the berry like he hadn't heard Soohyun at all.

The angel rolled his eyes. Instead of giving a command, apparently he doesn't take too well to those, he gave a thought; 'What if these are poisoned?' he implanted in the young one's brain.

The idea slowly grew, before he threw the berries down and ran off, laughing, to go play with his older sister.

Soohyun sighed. Four year olds are a real handful sometimes. But just a peek into his future says that he'll be a lot worse as a hormone-ridden teenager. It was getting harder, these days, to get humans to obey the law of Chastity. But Soohyun was determined to do right by Cheolyoung, his first assignment.

Soohyun?” a knock at the door resounds, “Leeteuk has a mission for us,”

The man in question sighs, once more, “Okay. I'll be right out,”

The good thing about having a Guardian posistion is that you can do it from home. You don't have to bother getting dressed right after you wake up.

So, he made himself presentable as fast as he could, after telling Hoon to come on in. Honestly, he didn't understand why they had to call them down to the mission leader's office for every single little errand they had to run. Most of the time, they were petty jobs that the higher-up people just didn't feel like doing. Especially Beginning Angels like him and Hoon.

Oh, well. Better to get it over with. “Let's go,” Soohyun smiles.

Because, one day, he was going to be the greatest Archangel this universe had ever known.

Well, except maybe Michael.


 

Dongho was extremely upset about having to go anywhere for an extended period of time with Kyoungjae. He couldn't explain it; something about him just rubbed Dongho the wrong way. He was pretty sure it was related to the fallen's real origins. Though, he was curious as to what made Kyoungjae fall to demonhood.

The pair walked down the hallway toward the office of their mission leader, Kyuhyun.

Yeesh, talk about evil, even for a demon. His job, aside from sending poor saps like them to do dirty work, was to torture fresh human souls, just arriving to Hell. He was as close to the Wing Granter in Heaven as Hell would ever get.

Sir,” Kyoungjae said formally, bowing to Kyuhyun. Dongho didn't bow; he didn't see the need to. While Kyoungjae had to earn his respect, Dongho already had it.

Kyuhyun scowled, “Filthy angel. I don't know why Lilith even allows your kind into our city,” he turned, and a personality shift later, he smiled at Dongho, “Ah, pure demon... One of Satan's first. I envy you,”

And, just like that, he's insulted both of them. Though, Dongho had to pretend to be flattered to avoid suspicion.

However, for a brief moment the young demon could not hide his scowl. Kyuhyun definitely noticed, but passed it off very quickly. Perhaps he thought there was no rebellion from someone that sprang from Lucifer's body.

Are we getting our assignment, or what?” Dongho was not known for his patience. Kyoungjae gawked at him as if he'd grown a new head. Though, the younger one was positive Kyuhyun would just take his rudeness; after all, he practically worships the ground demons like him walk on.

Ah, yes,” he said, “Our demons on the field have detected the Guardian and who he's protecting. Our next move is to station ourselves around him. That's your job. We will grant you half-humanity to complete your mission on Earth. If either of you,” he doesn't fail to shoot Dongho a suspicious glance, “hinder the chance for success in any way, you will not be allowed to come back. Got it?”

The two knew what that meant. If they were suspected as rebelling at all, Hell would shut its gates to them. And the half-humanity given to them would leave them wandering Earth. With the weakness of a human but the immortality of a demon.

Even Hell would be better than that.

AJ is already on it. Xander is your squadron leader. Go,”

Kyoungjae simply nodded and instantly took off; almost eagerly. Dongho knew that as soon as he was past the gates, he'd use his decrepit wings to maneuver across the foul stench always present in the air, straight away to Earth. He needed to prove his loyalty to Kyuhyun, and all demons, some way. Currently; he was the only Fallen inhabiting Hell. Save Lucifer, of course.

Dongho wanted to say something snappy to Kyuhyun, possibly curse him out, but nothing came to mind that wouldn't give him away.

So he just calmly walked out of the office, past the hole where new demons are created, and stretched out his wings, preparing for flight.

He felt a certain flair in his chest as he heard the screams emanating from the torture chamber.


 

A/N: I'm super excited for this story! Because, unlike my other ones, I actually know where I'm going with this one. LOL.

But anyway. Thanks for reading ^^ Any confusion about it, just ask ^^

Does anyone know of a good poster shop? :o