Running

Rooftop Cats

Hiding in a corner in the dark alley, she tries her every single strength to keep still. The persistent debtors never fails to give up on terrorizing the little one room apartment her parents left behind along with the debts they incurred. For the past five years, she lived a life of fear and despair shunning away from people and the friends who used to care for her in the past. Little has she known, she has become socially inept and possibly, she has void her heart of all emotions and feelings. She need to keep going, thus paralyzing all possible entries of empathy from any human beings around her. Amber is turning twenty in a months time.

 

***

 

Mom, I'll be leaving the next morning to Hong Kong. I've decided, even if Dad decides to violently object to my decisions, I still want to pursue my dreams. I'm not taking over his business. I'm just not cut out for it.”

Kyuhyun left Korea the next morning in the earliest flight without bidding farewells to his family. Born in a third generation wealthy family, Kyuhyun has nothing to worry about. Everything had already been planned out for him even way before he was born. As the only heir to the family's business, there were lots of expectations coming from him. However, this young rebel wants nothing to do with the family's wealth. He has a dream to pursue. He looked out of the plane's window pane straight into the vast skies and recalled how far he had come to ever since he discover his passion five years ago when he was in high school. He puts on his earphone and lets his mp3 plays.

 

all the leaves are brown
and the sky is grey
I've been for a walk
on a winter's day

I'd be safe and warm
if I was in L.A
California Dreamin'
on such a winter's day

 

Kyu, I told you this woman is pretty and crazy. If a woman barge into my room and clean up my room that way, I would totally freak out.” Siwon, his best friend since kindergarden screamed as he gave the blanked out Kyuhyun a smack on his back. Kyuhyun snaps out of trance as he gave the older man a deadly glare as if his life is hanging on the thread. “Hyung, where did you find this movie?” the younger one inquired. “You know I'm a er for movies and this director happens to be one of my favorite. I had this video for years, I thought I would share with...” “Hyung!” Kyuhyun cuts in, “Can I borrow this?” For some reason, the video was never returned.

 

stopped into a church
I passed along the way
well, I got down on my knees
and I pretend to pray

you know the preacher likes the cold
he knows I'm gonna stay
California Dreamin'
on such a winter's day

 

Who put that idea into your head! You know that is not going to work out. You're the only heir to our family business and you know that and you had and have to acknowledge the fact that you're going to take over me.” Kyuhyun's father often too focused on the family's lineage and decades of reputation wasn't going to grant his son his freedom into choosing his life just like that. Many times or not, Kyuhyun wished he wasn't born into a family of silver spoon but an average Korean family. The last person he wants to deal with is a stubborn old father who refuse to step out of the box. All he can do is to pray that the day when he can step out of this house and live a life of his own.

 

all the leaves are brown
and the sky is grey
I've been for a walk
on a winter's day

if I didn't tell her
I could leave today
California Dreamin'
on such a winter's day

 

Never would I have imagine this day coming... Kyuhyun thought to himself. He was deeply in love with that movie Siwon played five years ago. It was a simple movie set in an urban city telling of two different stories intertwined together in a simple setting at the Chungking Mansion in Hongkong. He couldn't make it out but everything about the movie seems to cast a magical spell on him. Or perhaps it has somehow awaken his senses and his inner desires that propels his rebellious nature to move out of his comfort zone. It seems like he has woke up from a dream to pursue the real dream.

 

Siwon reads from his cellphone, 'Siwon Hyung, remember ChungKing Express? I've decided. I'll be in Hong Kong by the time you wakes up and read this text. Take care of my parents for me ok? Love you always. Kyu.' “Ahh! That brat! Left without even saying a goodbye or something.” Feeling a certain emptiness having his best friend leave without a word, Siwon release a smile at the fact that Kyuhyun has grown up and decides a path strictly on his own, his own strength and by his own will.

 

***

 

Its two in the morning and the men are probably all gone... Amber thought as she leaps up the bricked wall and stealthily climbs up the water pipes to where her window is. 'No one' She climbed through her windows and landed on her bed where she cleverly situated it in case she might slip and fall. Heaving a huge sigh, she closes her eyes and drifted to sleep. Still sleeping, she muttered some words, 'The world should just end...'