Part Two

The Heir's Muse

Minjae’s POV

The days passed by in a blink of an eye and soon, it’s already Friday. The new boys didn’t cause trouble and all of us were relieved that some of them are getting along well. Chanyeol and JR sort of became friends and Chanyeol moved to the back row of the class just so they would have more time together. Baekhyun surprisingly moved to Chanyeol’s seat which was beside Kimin, it gave her the creeps and she wants to exchange seats with me. Of course, I wouldn’t.

I had a hunch that something was going on.

“Minjae, could you please bring this to the Principal’s office?” Our Math teacher, Ms. Kim, pointed at the stack of notebooks on the table. “Principal Han has a surprise inspection with the students’ notes and your class has been chosen. Sorry if I’m asking you to do this, you’re one of the few kids who listen to me and Kimin seemed to be doing something. So…”

“It’s alright, Ms. Kim.”

“I’ll help you with that.” I was surprised when someone went from behind me and grabbed half of the stack of notebooks. “Principal’s office, right?” My eyes widened when I noticed that it was Jongin who was going to help me. Well, we’re not exactly close and he gives me the creeps, too. Actually, he and his friends are weird and…scary. “I’ll tell you something.” He whispered as he walked pass me, I grabbed the other half of the stack and bowed to Ms. Kim before following him.

Baekhyun’s POV

The bell rang just after Kai and Minjae left the classroom, it means that it’s already lunch time. I glanced at Kimin and she didn’t do anything, it’s like she didn’t hear the bell. The boys started packing their things before they stood around me.

“Hey! Are you not going to have lunch?” Chanyeol asked after he bid goodbye to his new buddy.

“Nah.” I muttered. ‘Go eat; I’m going to stay here with my muse. It’s my chance, right? If it helps, you can stay by the hallway.’ The boys exchanged glances before walking out of the classroom. “Aren’t you…going to have lunch?”

Kimin glanced up and looked around, when she noticed that we were the only people inside, she gasped in surprise.

“Wh-what are you doing here? Where’s Minjae?” She asked, which made me snicker. She must’ve been too focused on what she was doing that she didn’t notice her best friend left and that it was already lunch time. “What about you? Where did you friends go?”

“Your friend went out with my friend to do something; I think they’re not going back anytime soon. Let’s go grab something to eat.” I said as I started packing my things. I saw her reluctantly nodding her head as she placed what she was doing inside her bag.

“You know, this is the first time I hear you speak something long.” She chuckled to herself although I know that must be nervous deep inside. “If you aren’t sleeping in class, you’re glaring at everybody.”

“Really?” I said as we started walking through the hallway. I smirked to myself as I saw the boys were scattered in the hallway, fortunately, they couldn’t be noticed that easily because of the crowd of students. “Are you…” I paused as I stopped walking and glanced at her over my shoulders. “Are you scared of me?”

She gave out a nervous chuckled before she playfully hit my shoulder. “Of course not, even though you’re weird, you’re going to be my friend, right?”

“Right.”

Minjae’s POV

“You gotta be kidding me.”

Jongin and I are in the rooftop after we gave the notebooks to the principal. He told me that he needed to tell me something serious and we need to discuss it with only us around. Actually, I was hesitant to agree but he had already dragged me here and told me that he would tell me something about him and Baekhyun and that it might be weird but I have to believe him. I told him that this conversation was so out of the blue.

He then started telling me Baekhyun’s background. He told me that Baekhyun isn’t actually a human. Well, he was. That was until the devil found out that he was his son and his soul was then brought to hell. Kai and the rest are immortals, too, and they work under Baekhyun’s  father, or better known as Lucifer. He told me that Baekhyun was sent here to find his muse and that unfortunately, my best friend is Baekhyun’s muse.

“Come on, Jongin, I mean, Kai. Be serious, would you?” I muttered. He gave me a look and I blinked at him. “I mean…how could that be possible? Baekhyun should look weird, right? That’s just…”

“Baekhyun looks the way he was before he was taken to hell.” Kai said. “I’m telling you this because you have to help us get them together.”

“You must be out of your mind!” I muttered. “There’s no such thing like that! I don’t believe in devils. Are you an atheist or something?”

“You have to help us…” Kai suddenly disappeared from my sight and my eyes widened. I looked around before I rubbed my eyes. “Or there might be consequences.” I glanced behind me to see him there. “If Kimin doesn’t agree on her own will, she will be forced come with him and be his muse.”

And just like that, he disappeared from my sight again.

Kimin’ POV

When we reached the cafeteria, Baekho and his friends gave me weird looks before they approached us. Baekho looked at Baekhyun with a scoff before turning to me with a smile.

“Hey Kimin, why aren’t you with Little Miss?” Baekho asked.

“Uh—“

“She’s with my friend right now.” My eyes widened as I looked up Baekhyun. I’m sensing trouble as I noticed Baekho glaring at him.

“Y-Yes! She might be back in a few.” I nervously said and smiled.

“Is that so? We’ll go now then.” JR said and dragged Baekho.

“Wait! I’m not yet done!” Baekho whined but JR ignored him. His other friends followed them after.

“Let’s go?” Baekhyun asked. I felt the hair on my neck stand with his voice and I reluctantly nodded.

“Y-Yes, sure, let’s go.” I said and we walked to a table, sittinng opposite from each other.

I gulped as I glanced up at him and I found him staring at me, making me blink as I looked down on the table. It was awkward and both of us were quiet. His aura is different from a normal person but I’m not saying he’s not a normal person, or is he not? Damn. What am I thinking?  My heart jumped when he suddenly spoke.

“Is there something bothering you?” He asked.

“N-Nothing. It’s just that I’m not used eating with other people besides Minjae but it’s ok!” I said trying to brighten the atmosphere.

“You’re scared of me. I get it.” He said and the way he said it made me feel as if I’m a bad person.

“No! Don’t think that way. Like what I said I’m just creeped out by you.” I said but isn’t it the same? I’m so stupid. I mentally facepalmed myself. Fortunately, Minjae came.

 “Oh! Minjae! You’re here!” I said as I felt more comfortable. She looked at Baekhyun for a few seconds before sitting beside me. Baekhyun didn’t pay attention though. Don’t tell me Minjae got their vibe already just because she was with a friend of Baekhyun a few minutes ago. This is so weird.

Do they know something I don’t?

__

Three weeks passed quite fast. Nothing was different except that the new boys had already adapted to the class. Baekhyun was still the same, although his other friends felt different already. They didn’t give off the scary vibe anymore; they’re just as intimidating as Baekho’s group.

“You guys know about the outbound trip on Saturday, right?” Mr. Kang said, I could tell that everybody was excited, even me. We’re going to Mt. Seoraksan, and it’s the first time that our batch would go to something like that for an outbound trip. “For that trip, we’re going to be assigning partners.” The classroom was filled with murmurs. “I’ll be assigning your partners.” Damn it. Please don’t let it be Baekhyun. I wouldn’t be comfortable throughout the trip.

So Mr. Kang started calling out the girls’ names in alphabetical order of our first names.

“Kimin.” I clenched my fists as I heard my name being called out after a few minutes. Please don’t let it be…”You’re going to be partners with Baekhyun.” I gasped before glancing at Minjae’s direction. She didn’t say anything.

“Minjae, you’re going to be with Baekho.” Baekho’s group hollered and Minjae protested, saying it’s unfair. “No  disagreeing. You’re going to be Baekho’s partner whether you like it or not. You need to stick with him throughout the trip.”

“You’re the best, Mr. Kang!” Baekho shouted from the back of the classroom before snickering. Ah, that means Minjae and I would both be uncomfortable with our partners. I wonder how she’d deal with that mischievous guy.

“Oh, and since there’s more boys than girls in this class, the boys who still have no partners can choose to join any pair they like.” Mr. Kang added after he had done announcing the pairs. “Those who don’t have partners yet, raise your hands.” I glanced behind me to see those who don’t have partners yet.

Minhyun, Jongin, Sehun, and JR.

“Mr. Kang, I want to be in Chanyeol’s pair.” JR said, as expected.

“I’m going to be in Baekhyun’s pair.” Sehun said, I noticed that Baekhyun glared at him.

“Okay, Jongin and Minhyun, why don’t you just be partners?”

“I’m going to be in Baekho’s pair.” Jongin said, causing Baekho to protest. Jongin glanced at him and stuck his tongue out, I chuckled. The boys really have changed.

“Mr. Kang, I don’t have a partner yet.” A girl spoke up. It was Jinkyung, the class’ outcast. I noticed Minhyun mouthing a ‘no’, but Mr. Kang of course assigned them together. I don’t get it why they don’t like her, I’ve tried talking to her once though, and she sort of wanted to avoid everyone.

“Then it’s settled.”

__

The day of the trip came and Minjae and I arrived early in school where everyone will be gathered. When I saw her, I laughed because I could tell she’s half-awake. We looked for our partners but they weren’t there yet. 

“Little miss!” I chuckled as Baekho came with a huge backpack behind him and another bag that he was carrying, we could tell that he was struggling. “Yah, don’t laugh at me. I prepared lots of food for the trip so that little miss wouldn’t get hungry.”

“Stop calling me little miss. You’re not that even tall, little mister.” She retorted as she grabbed the bag he was holding and started rummaging through it. It contained lots of chips and some bottle of soft drinks. “Mr. Kang! Baekho brought soju!” She shouted jokingly. “Oh, look, Kai—I mean, Jongin, is here. Yah, did you bring lots of food too?”

I glanced at Jongin and he just brought a backpack. He shook his head as he said, “No, I expected Baekho to bring lots of food, and I wasn’t wrong.” He smirked. “Oh, where’s Baekhyun?” I noticed Minjae’s smile fade as their gazes met. Aish. Something’s really up.

After a few minutes, the buses arrived and we boarded in. My partner hasn’t arrived as well as Sehun. Mr. Kang said that we’d have twenty minutes to wait for the others who haven’t arrived yet. I glanced behind me where Minjae and her two partners were sitting. The two boys weren’t  getting along well, I could tell.

Minjae’s POV

“Would you two please keep it down?!” I muttered as Kai and Baekho started fighting over the snack that I WAS eating. I harshly let it go for them to fight over. “Aish, that’s it; I’m not sitting in the middle! Baekho, let me sit next to the window!”

“No, this is my seat, little miss.” Baekho muttered. “I was the one who brought the food! Why didn’t you buy yourself?!”

“I thought we were going to share it!” Kai retorted.

“No, I was going to share it with little miss but you keep stealing it away.” I facepalmed myself.

How I wish the trip would end soon.

Kimin’s POV

Baekhyun and Sehun arrived just in time before the bus started moving. I quickly moved to the window seat as I didn’t want to sit in between them. I glanced behind me and noticed that Baekho and Minjae had both fallen asleep, while Jongin shared an earphone from Minjae and they were both listening to music. He was staring in front though I know that he’s sort of daydreaming, maybe.

“Are you not sleepy?” I was quite surprised when Baekhyun turned to me. I glanced at Sehun and he was sleeping, his neck must hurt when he wakes up later. I then looked back at Baekhyun and his facial expression was softer than usual. “You know, my shoulder’s available anytime. It can also be proof that you’re not scared of me.”

“You’re…” He raised his eyebrows at me and I just sighed. “No, thank you. I’m not sleepy. I quite had a good sleep last night. You should make your shoulder available to Sehun too, you know.”

“He can fend for himself.” He muttered as he closed his eyes. I guess he’s going to sleep too. I plugged in my earphones as I turned to look at the window outside and suddenly, something landed on my left shoulder.

“Baekhyun-ah.” I said as I squirmed uncomfortably. He didn’t say anything though and stayed at that position.

I sighed.

If Sehun could fend for himself, why couldn’t he?

-

We arrived at our direction and the rest of the class excitedly exited the bus. I waited for Baekhyun to grab his stuff before we went out. Sehun had already gone ahead. Baekho dragged Minjae out the bus as soon as the bus stopped as he glared at Jongin.

When I stepped down the bus, I shivered as the hair on the back of my neck stood up. I looked around to see Jinkyung staring at me with a little smirk. I immediately looked away.

The class gathered around the area where the picnic tables were available. The view was great. I actually wondered if we’re going to be hiking or where just going to stay at the park until the trip ends.

“Okay, class. Set your tents up first!” Mr. Kang said. Baekhyun handed me the tent and I blinked at him.

“Aren’t you going to help me do this?” I asked. He didn’t answer; instead, he walked to Jongin’s direction. What a gentleman. I started fixing the tent and I was one of the last ones to finish setting up. I clapped my hands to celebrate when suddenly; someone placed their hand on my shoulder. I turned around to see Jinkyung with a solemn look on her face.

“You-“

“Oh, Kimin-ah! You did great on setting your tent up!” Chanyeol appeared from behind her and I saw her frown before she walked away. Chanyeol watched her and whispered something I couldn’t really understand before he turned to talk to me again. “Watch your back.”

Minjae’s POV

“I knew it.” I heard Kai mumbled to himself as we fixed the inside of the tent. Of course, we weren’t going to share it but he helped me but I know he’s going to talk me about something. Most probably, about Kimin and Baekhyun. “You should all probably stay away from Jinkyung today as much as possible.”

“What? Why?”

“I sensed that something was off about her. The guys confirmed my suspicions but Baekhyun doesn’t know anything about it though. I sensed it the second I stepped into your class.” He said. “Jinkyung, she isn’t mortal. She was the princess that was supposed to marry Baekhyun’s father. She sort of disappeared and I don’t know why she’s here again. I think she’s after Baekhyun. But I also guess that she’s out here to harm the muse.”

“What?!” I muttered and he placed a finger on his lips to shush me. “Why did they even choose Kimin to be the muse?! She didn’t do anything wrong!”

“Shut your trap.” He muttered. “Well for one, there had been an agreement that’s why she was chosen to be the muse. She’s sort of like a peace offering or the sacrificial lamb. And… I think Jinkyung is up to something. Don’t worry, little miss. We won’t let your best friend be in harm.”

I heaved an annoyed sigh before reaching over to punch him on his shoulder.

“Shut up, Mr. I’m-Not-Mortal-And-I’m-Here-To-Protect-The-Heir.” I muttered. “Are you slowly becoming like Baekho just because you had argued earlier?”

“Do you like him?” He asked with a playful smirk. “Don’t worry; it’s a secret between us.”

“I—“

“Whoa, whoa, I just heard my name.” I sighed as Baekho barged in inside the tent. “What are you two doing here? Having an affair of some sort? Yah, little miss, you’re my one and only, right?” I face-palmed myself as I shoved him out my way and I went out of the tent. “Little miss!”

“.” I cursed as I bumped into Jinkyung who was holding something like a cup of coffee probably for some teacher. It spilled on my PE shirt and I gasped in shock because it was hot. She apologized as she tried to wipe the mess but I quickly pulled away. “It’s alright, I’ll just change.”

“Look what you did, you nerd—“

“Baekho!” I glared at him. “I said it’s okay, I’m going to get changed.” I pushed past him and grabbed my stuff. Suddenly, someone handed me a towel. I looked up to see Kimin. “Oh, hey. I forgot you’re here, too. Ah, so unlucky.”

“Tch, yeah. Look what you did to Baekho, he looks so guilty.” She chuckled as I turned around to see Baekho with a slight frown on his face as he entered the tent. “Move faster and change. I heard the teachers saying something like that we’re going hiking. Damn, it’s almost mid-afternoon and we’ll probably still be there when it gets dark.”

“I hope we wouldn’t get trap in there or something.”


A/N: The second part. This isn't a oneshot anymore, I guess. Sort of a short story. Please be patient with the next parts! :) Thank you. XD By the way, I didn't proof-read this so there might be spelling and grammar errors scattered there. :))

LOL. Which couple is better, Baekhyun/Kimin or Baekho/Minjae? :))