Part 5

The Heir's Muse

Minjae’s POV

“Minjae, Kyungsoo’s already waiting for you! What’s taking you so long?” My mom called out from downstairs as I quickly grabbed my stuff. I was feeling really excited today even if it was a Monday since I’m so excited to tell Kimin about the good news.

When I went downstairs, Kyungsoo was looking through the picture frames on top of a small drawer in the living room. He didn’t notice me so I crept up from behind him and I noticed that he was staring at a picture of me and my mother’s relatives. I poked his back and he turned around in surprise and I grinned at him.

“Mom! We’re leaving!” I shouted as I dragged him outside already, I checked my watch and there’s only a few minutes left before the first bell rings. “You should’ve sent me a text message that you’re already done. Mom doesn’t like it when I make other people wait for me.”

“Oh, it’s alright. Besides, I missed seeing your mother.” He grinned. “So I noticed that you’re very happy. What’s up?”

“It’s nothing.” I shrugged. We slowly walked and I could feel that someone was walking behind us. I tried to ignore it as Kyungsoo and I talked but it was just creepy. “Do you notice something?” I whispered. He raised an eyebrow at me.

“Notice what?” I furrowed my eyebrows at him as he looked behind us. He turned to me and shrugged. “Nothing’s weird, except that Kai’s walking behind us.” I frowned and glanced behind me to see Kai standing a few feet away. He had his hands in his pockets and when our eyes met, he smirked and waved at us. “Did you not see him earlier?”

“I didn’t.” I said. “Yah, you used your powers on me earlier, huh? You creeper.”

“You were too busy talking to him,” He pointed to Kyungsoo. “That’s why you didn’t notice me. I was with him the whole time.”

“Aish, nevermind, let’s just get on the bus.” I huffed as I walked ahead of them.

***

I decided to tell it to Kimin during lunch time and when I did, she almost choked on what she was eating and her eyes became as wide as Kyungsoo’s. I chuckled to myself, I knew it.

“Lu Han?! You mean, your cousin?!” She said as she extended her hand and grabbed my shoulders and shook me. “What? What did he say? Is he coming back from China? Damn, you’re so lucky to have a handsome cousin like him.”

“We’re not blood-related.” I muttered as I removed her hands.  “Besides, I told you this so you could help me. We’re awkward and he’s going to stay over at our house. I bet my mom’s going to make him stay at my room. Aish, could I just make him stay over at yours? I bet you’re going to like it.”

“Going to like what?” Kimin and I looked up in surprise as Baekhyun and the others placed their stuff at the table and squeezed themselves in the remaining seats. Well, the seats in the cafeteria are like benches but I still don’t know how we’re going to fit if they keep—“Yah, Sehun, stop squeezing us and get a seat for yourself and Chanyeol.”

“So what were you talking about?” Suho said as he went back to the topic. “You know, the two of you seem pretty excited but someone here looks like he’s going to murder someone else.” He said as he gazed at Baekhyun who was glaring at everyone passing by. “Kyungsoo told us something surprising today.”

“What was it?” Kimin asked as she ate her food, she didn’t bother looking up and kept her gaze at the plate. “Don’t tell me we have to get married soon or something.”

“Well, you have to be patient about that.” Suho rolled his eyes. “It’s about you, Minjae. Do you, apparently, have a Chinese cousin?” I stared at him for a second before nodding. The guys exchanged glances but I could feel Kai staring at me and it was making me uncomfortable. “What would you do if your cousin…let’s say, what if he’s one of the Guardians?”

“What?” I muttered. “Are you saying-“

“Then you must have had it in your blood.” Suho muttered. What the hell is he saying? “If Lu Han is your cousin, then there’s a possibility that you’re-“

“Stop it, Suho. You’re just confusing her.” Kai cut him off. “Can we just talk about it to her later, after they have finished eating?”

I noticed that Kimin had already looked up and she had the same confused expression as me. Even though Lu Han and I are not that close, I haven’t seen anything weird about him. He doesn’t have that scary vibe and he’s actually just like Chanyeol.

“There’s something you need to know though.” I said. “Lu Han and I are not blood-related. My mother and his father are step-siblings. And if he’s one of the Guardians, I think that would be quite impossible. I’m not saying that I’m against it, but-“

Then the bell rang, cutting me off.

“Let’s talk about this when he gets back to Korea the day after tomorrow.” I said as I started collecting my stuff and stood up. Kimin followed behind me and we exited the cafeteria. “Why does this happen to us?”

“I just hope that angels won’t appear in front of us next time though. That’d be crazy.”

Baekhyun’s POV

After classes had ended, I overhead Kimin telling Minjae that she’d be in the library to borrow some books. Minjae said that she needed to go home and apologized, I took this as an opportunity.

The library was a pretty good place if you didn’t like being with the crowd. Only a few students stayed in the library since it was on a separate building located at some creepy part of the school. When you enter it though, you could say it’s very comfortable since it was air-conditioned and clean.

I followed Kimin from behind but it only took a few seconds before she noticed and when she turned to face me, I acted like it was nothing and I waved casually at her before catching up.

“Are you going to the library?” I asked. “I was wondering if I could borrow some books there.”

“You read?” She muttered, her eyes widening.

“Nevermind.” I muttered under my breath. “I just wanted to spend time with my muse.”

She stopped walking and I glanced at her, my breathe hitching as we at stared each other for a few seconds before I looked away. I started walking again but she was just in a daze and I grabbed her hands, quickly interlacing her fingers with mine so she wouldn’t be able to pull away.

“What are you doing? People might see us.” She whispered and I just chuckled.

“Even though the sun’s still up and about to set, do you think people would come here?” I muttered. “And are you embarrassed of your future husband?”

“I think I’ll never be used to this.” She said straightforwardly. “I mean, we never knew each other before and you come attending class and then you say that I need to be your wife. It’s like a joke, really and I’m sorry if that sounds mean.”

I sighed as I slowly released her hand. “I understand. I’m sorry for getting you into this situation.”

“Baekhyun…” That’s the last thing I heard that she said before I walked away. When I turned around the corner, I punched the wall and clenched my fists. This is so frustrating, I like her but at the same time, I don’t want her to be forced being with me.

Minjae’s POV

When I went home that day, I didn’t want to remember what the guys said about my cousin. Fortunately, we weren’t blood related but that was such a crazy coincidence. I was staring at the ceiling when my phone buzzed. It was a message from Baekho.

That guy didn’t go to school today. Huh. He must have messaged me to ask about any homework.

I checked the message and it read, ‘Minjae, I’m outside your house.’ I blinked at it and waited for a follow up message, this might be a joke. But then he didn’t send another message and I scrambled to my feet and ran to the balcony of my room. True enough, I saw Baekho standing in front of the gate of the house with his back facing me.

I ran downstairs and my eyes widened when I saw my mother on the couch, I checked and she was sleeping. She might have gotten tired from cleaning. I tiptoed my way outside and creeped behind Baekho before trying to shove him but he quickly turned around and lost my balance a bit.

He caught me just as I fell forward and when I looked up, I quickly turned away and stood straight as I cleared my throat.

“What are you doing here?” I asked as I placed my hands inside the pockets of my sweater.

“Minjae, do you like me?” He asked and I was taken aback by his question.

“Wh-what?”

“My parents are bringing me over to California with Aron the day after tomorrow and I’m going to stay there for two years. If you say yes, I’d try my best to make them let me stay, if not, then I’d still wait til you accept my feelings.” He said and my eyes widened. The day he leaves is the day Lu Han comes back to Korea. “I really like you a lot.”

“Baekho,” I looked down on my feet. . What was I going to say to him? I mean, I’m confused by my own feelings and I’ve grown fond of him already. “I don’t know what to say,” I finally looked up and I saw disappointment in his eyes but he tried to hide it by forcing a smile. “I’m sorry.”

“Then can I get one last kiss before I leave?” He didn’t bother waiting for me to answer as he pressed his lips against mine. My eyes widened, it was my first kiss. He pulled away and I just had the same expression, making him chuckle. “Good night and I’ll really miss you a lot.” He started walking away and I didn’t know if I would hold him back or not.

“Wait, Baekho-ah,” I muttered. “Good night and let’s see each other in two years!” I watched him as he waved back even if he didn’t turn around. When he disappeared in the corner, I quickly ran up to my bedroom and locked the door.

That night, I didn’t get a wink of sleep at all.