Part Seven

The Heir's Muse

Minjae’s POV

The most anticipated day has arrived and the first thing I did that morning was to check my messages, there was no new one so and there was even no missed calls. I got up from my bed and slipped my feet onto my slippers, after that, I went downstairs to eat my breakfast before taking a bath. What surprised me though was Kyungsoo sitting on the dining table with my mom cooking something that smelled like pancakes. I checked the clock as I passed by it and saw that it was six-thirty.

“Minjae! You’re finally awake. Thank goodness I just got downstairs before he knocked on the door. This kid really is an early bird.” Mom said as she served the pancakes, Kyungsoo just grinned before he started eating. “Doesn’t your mother cook breakfast? Not that I don’t like it but it seems that you’ve always been eating here. And I haven’t seen your mother, or your father, before.”

“I apologize. My parents are in the province so I’m living alone.” He said as he wiped something from the side of his mouth. I took a seat across him and started eating too. I wonder how my mother would react if she finds out what he is.

“Oh. Then, are you friends with Jongin? The guy who dropped Minjae off yesterday?” My mother asked as she started washing the utensils. Kyungsoo and I exchanged glances and I sipped on my water. He just replied with a quiet yes and fortunately, my mother changed the topic. “Minjae, you’re picking up your cousin, right? I need to go somewhere later and won’t be hope ‘til late in the evening. Just ask help from Kyungsoo or Kimin to prepare some dinner.”

After half an hour of eating, I already started preparing myself for school while I left Kyungsoo downstairs to watch TV.  Honestly, I was feeling unusually sleep today that I was so tempted to lock myself in my room. But my mom would just make a fuss if I do that. I finished at around quarter to eight and we already went to school.

I was ahead of Kimin again and the classroom was really quiet because Baekho and Aron weren’t here anymore. As I placed my earphones on my ears and listened to my mp3 player, I felt sleepy again so I rested my head on my desk. For a second, the classroom seemed to have spun but when I blink, it went back to normal. I sighed and closed my eyes, not knowing that I’d fall asleep.

I dreamt of a dark place where people were fighting. I couldn’t understand what some of them were saying but I knew there was a war with fireballs flying everywhere. Luhan’s face flashed in front of me along with another person that seemed to be leading the people who were defending the place. The ones attacking didn’t have a face and they were terrifying. Suddenly, a fireball was flying towards me, I didn’t know what to do and I just stared at it. Until someone pushed me aside and got hit by it instead, I kneeled down and my heart dropped to my stomach.

“Minjae,” He muttered as he winced at the burn on his face. “Minjae.” He said over and over again until his voice got louder and I felt my body getting shaken.

I opened my eyes to see another pair staring back at me filled with worry. I glanced up to see Kai and he quickly handed me something. I stared at it and it was his handkerchief.

“You’re sweating a lot and you were mumbling something that I couldn’t understand. Class is almost starting.” He said and I looked around, realizing that he was sitting on Kimin’s seat. “Oh, Kimin’s not yet here, as well as Baekhyun. Here take this,” He grabbed my hand and stuffed the handkerchief on it.  I shook my head and gave it back to him but he leaned in as he wiped it on my forehead. “What were you dreaming about? I think I heard my name.”

“Oh I was dreaming about ghosts,” I nervously chuckled. “Thanks.”

The door to the classroom opened and Baekhyun and Kimin entered, hand in hand. My eyes widened and I blinked at them, the whole class stared at them for a second before going back to their own business.

“Are you guys being lovey-dovey now?” I muttered and Kimin rolled her eyes as she placed her stuff on top of the desk since Kai was still seating on it.

“As if. Look at the two of you sitting side by side.” My face heated up and Kai stood up to go back to his own seat. “Your cousin’s coming today, right? I’m going to go to your house.”

“Yeah,” I turned to face Baekhyun. “How about you? Your muse is going to my house to welcome Luhan, are you coming too?” He furrowed his eyebrows before rolling his eyes.

“Do you really think he’s going to appear in a taxi from the airport? Believe me, when you get home, he’ll already be inside your house.” He muttered and I frowned before turning back to Kimin.

“I like the quiet and creepy Baekhyun better.” She just chuckled and shook her head. “Hey! Let’s pass by the convenience store later and help me buy food.”

“Ok, ok.”

Kimin’s POV

We went to the convenience store with Baekhyun and Kai trailing behind us but they didn’t enter inside, instead, they went to the nearby arcade. Those two are secretly kids. Minjae and I assigned what to buy to ourselves and separated so we could save time.

Just as I was choosing what noodles to buy for the spaghetti we were going to attempt to cook, two guys passed by me and I couldn’t help but stare at them because they remind me of Baekhyun and his friends. The taller guy had pink hair while the shorter one had black hair. The pink hair guy looked over his shoulder and we stared at each other for a second before I looked away. God, that was creepy.

I quickly finished getting what I was supposed to get and looked for Minjae, I was about to approach her when I noticed that a guy was talking to her. He had brownish blonde hair and a black mask on. When the guy saw me, I think he mumbled some goodbye before leaving.

“Who was that?” I asked.

“I don’t know, he was asking for where the banana milks were located and we ended up speaking for awhile.” Minjae shrugged as she checked the stuff on the basket. “I think we’re done, let’s go and catch up with the two kids. I think they had enjoyed the arcades too much.”

When we lined up to pay, the two guys I saw earlier exited the store with the guy talking to Minjae. I think she didn’t notice so I just kept quiet. When it was our turn to pay already, Baekhyun and Jongin came looking like they just won the lottery. I don’t know what’s up with boys and arcades; don’t they get tired of it? Or maybe they didn’t have something like that in uh, hell.

We finally exited the store and something odd happened. The three boys from earlier were across the street and they were staring directly at us. Baekhyun seemed to have seen them and I noticed that his eyes widened before he bit his lip and glanced at Jongin who was just glaring at the guys.

“Let’s hurry up,” Minjae faced us and we all started walking to her home already. I was walking behind them and I was staring at the back of Baekhyun’s head, wondering why he reacted that way earlier.

I shrugged it off and I’d just ask them if we have time to be alone later.

After five minutes of walking, we finally arrived in front of Minjae’s house. Kyungsoo was waiting for us too; I chuckled because he really looks cute as he waited on the steps in front of their front door. He came running down to meet us.  Jongin helped Minjae with the plastic bag she was holding and she grabbed her key from her pockets, she was supposed to insert it on the door knob but she found out that it was unlocked.

We entered inside and a figure was sitting on the couch, with his back turned to us. When he faced us, I knew it was Luhan. But his smile from the pictures I saw before were not present, instead, he had a frown on and he looks really worried.

He stood up and placed his two hands on Baekhyun’s shoulders and shook him lightly. The rest of us were just staring at them.

“Bae-Baekhyun.”  He finally spoke though he stuttered. And as if Baekhyun already knew what it was all about, he turned to face me with his eyes widened.

“Baekhyun, the kingdom’s in trouble.”


Last part to be posted tomorrow.