Prologue

My Coactress: Princess or ?

 

Some people say that there is nothing more romantic than love at first sight. Others think that love at first sight is immature and foolish, and cannot be counted as true love.  I have only one question, then: What is true love? Is it to give up the woman you love to someone whom you know can take better care of her? Or is it to fight for your love, fight tooth and nail, fight to the death if must be? I do not know. I do not know…

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Im Jaebum, better known as JB, studied his script with intense focus, ignoring the distractions around him. Well, distraction, actually. Distraction by the name of Park Jinyoung, aka JR, JB’s junior and future bandmate. JR was hopping around excitedly, his script tossed to one side as he chattered on and on to JB, who wasn’t even listening.

Finally, JR smacked JB in the back of the head, “Yah! Will you at least pretend to listen to me?”

JB rolled his eyes, rubbing the back of his head, “Why should I? Just go study your script already, stop wasting time!”

JR grumbled audibly, but did as his future leader told him to.

The duo were at the set of Dream High 2, and they were waiting for filming to begin. They had both been personally trained by Park Jinyoung (senior) himself, and had trained alongside the 2PM and 2AM idols. The only reason why they debuted later was because of their age – JB was reaching 18, JR only 17 – and lack of experience, since they had both trained only slightly more than 2 years.

Finally, though, they had been given a chance to prove themselves. They had been chosen to act in JYP’s new drama, Dream High 2. The first Dream High had shot 2PM’s Wooyoung and Taecyeon to even greater heights, and JB hoped that Dream High 2 would do the same for them. At the same time, though, he hoped not to embarrass himself in front of the rest of the more experienced cast. Only last week he had met with them to discuss the script with them and the director. Well, all of them…except one. In his mind, he went through them again.

Park Jinyoung junior, aka JR. JB’s best friend and the closest male to his age, they had been close friends ever since they entered the company, and the news that they were to train and debut together just made them closer than ever before. Though hyperactive and even annoying and times, JR was unswervingly loyal, and JB knew that he could trust JR with even his life.

Jung Jinwoon, a member of 2AM and JB’s sunbae. Jinwoon and JB were quite close friends; they had trained together pre-debut, and knew each other quite well. Jinwoon was a good actor; unlike his stage persona, however, Jinwoon was actually slightly arrogant, especially when it came to girls since he was quite the player. JB rather admired him for his nerve at playing with women.

Kang Sora, the noona who was playing the role of the main female lead and one of JB’s possible love interests. Sora-noona was a kind-hearted and gently sunbae, constantly giving JB good advice while they went through the script, but she was, after all, almost a whole six years older than JB. JB would have loved to have her as a sister – gentle, caring and kind, who wouldn’t want her for a sister? – but to consider her as a love interest would, JB felt, require a stretch of the imagination.

Park Seojoon-hyung, playing the role of JB’s bandmate in the drama. Seojoon represented what JB aspired to be. Talented not only at acting, but also at singing and dancing, the older man was charismatic as well, with darkly handsome good looks. Despite all that, however, Seojoon wasn’t arrogant or superior. Instead he was kind and more than willing to give guidance to JB and JR. Although impatient and hot-tempered at times, he was still someone whom JB wanted to become good friends with.

Hyorin of SISTAR, playing an equally talented member of HershE in the drama. JB hadn’t had much interaction with her, but he still loved her singing, and she was also humorous and cheerful, much like her drama counterpart, Nana.

Ailee, the only other rookie amongst the cast. Even so, she had already debuted, and was widely acknowledged as a brilliant singer. JB found her slightly rude, but he supposed that it was just her American upbringing. At least she was honest and said just what she thought, which JB appreciated.

There were others, of course. Jisoo, the funny guitar-playing actor who loved to make odd faces to make others laugh; So Young, the former After School member who seemed shy at first, but would break into weird, hilarious dances; Kahi, the leader of After School and an amazing, inspirational dancer; and even Jung Yeonjoo, a rookie actress who played the rebellious Seul, but was in reality full of cute aegyo.

Only one person didn’t turn up for the session at all, reportedly because of her impossibly full schedule.

Park Jiyeon. Main dancer and visual of T-ara, and JB’s co-actress, the one he was required to interact with most. Jiyeon had, arguably, the most experience with acting out of all of them; she had, after all, started acting in 2009 when she debuted, way earlier than any of them. But it still upset JB somewhat, that she couldn’t even turn up to go through the script with the rest of them. Was she really that arrogant, to think that she didn’t need it?

JB shook his head to clear it, mentally scolding himself, “Don’t worry about others, worry about yourself first, Im Jae Bum!” He turned to ask JR to practice his lines with him, but JR was nowhere to be seen.

Just then, a voice asked from behind him, “Do you want to practice your lines?”

JB whipped around, startled. His eyes widened before he managed to compose his expression. There was a moment of awkward silence before JB stuck his hand out, “Hi. I’m Im Jae Bum, and I’ll be your co-actor for Dream High 2. It’s nice to meet you, Jiyeon-sshi.”

Park Jiyeon glanced down briefly at his hand before looking up again, completely ignoring it, “You’re the newbie, Im Jae Bum?”

JB nodded silently, withdrawing his hand.

“You better not disappoint, I don’t want to have to film the scenes dozens of times just cos you can’t get it right.” Jiyeon told him in a matter-of-fact way. JB blinked. Indignation flashed briefly in his eyes, and he opened his eyes to argue.

But before he could get a single word out, Jiyeon turned away and was answering her phone, “Hello? Oppa! You’ve finally called back! Have you gotten home yet? That’s good. Tomorrow afternoon? Usual place, then. Bye~”

JB listened silently, his expression disgruntled as Jiyeon spoke on the phone with an unnaturally bright voice. When Jiyeon turned back to him, her face was once again cold, “What were we talking about?”

As JB opened his mouth to answer, Jiyeon held out a hand, “Never mind, it’s not worth remembering if I forgot. Is Kahi-unnie here?”

“Kahi-noona isn’t here yet, only JR and I and Seojoon-hyung are here.” JB replied, pointing at Seojoon who had just arrived.

Jiyeon sighed deeply, “I suppose he’s better than nothing.” With that she strode right past JB to speak to Seojoon, leaving the rookie staring after her.

JB bit his lip, feeling more discouraged than he had ever felt before. ‘What a rude woman…no matter how experienced she may be, she’s still nowhere as good as any of the other sunbaes.’ JB couldn’t help but think inwardly.

At that moment, Jiyeon cast a brief glance at JB. JB immediately averted his gaze, feeling guilty for thinking so negatively about someone he had but just met.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Is he good?” Jiyeon asked, eying the newbie, “For that matter, are either of them good?”

Seojoon pursed his lips, “Well, JR is good enough at singing and dancing, except he’s slightly weaker when it comes to acting. He’s also got a playful streak, and is really easily distracted, so he’s already been scolded a couple of times for not being focused.”

“What about the other guy, JB?”

“Him? He’s…more disciplined, I suppose. He’s a better dancer than JR, though his vocals are slightly weaker, but his acting is actually pretty good. He’s quite shy though, especially in front of his sunbaes. It took us the entire session last time to get him to talk, and he only spoke, like, two sentences. It’ll take a while longer to draw him out of his shell.” Seojoon answered.

“They’re debuting in July, aren’t they?” Jiyeon asked.

“June, I heard. I’m not sure, JYP-sshi might change their debut date, but they’re definitely debuting this year. So we’ll be able to catch their debut within half a year.” Seojoon replied with a grin, “Why’re you asking? You curious about them?”

Jiyeon shrugged, “I just want to know how good they are. I don’t want them to ruin the drama and drag me down.”

Seojoon nudged her, “Don’t be mean!”

Jiyeon ignored him. She glanced at JB again, only to catch him staring at her. He quickly averted his eyes, but she had already seen him. She frowned, “What’s up with him?” Before she could say anything more, Sora and Jinwoon arrived, and it was time to get ready to film. 

------------------------------------------------------

Here's the prologue for this story! It's pretty much just an introduction of the characters. Did you all like it? I'd just like to mention, in case you guys haven't seen it: I've added Myungsoo into the story, cos I am a Myungyeon shipper, more so than I ship g-minor, so it just doesn't seem fair to not have Myungsoo in the story. He will likely be appearing in the first or second chapter. I've also edited the character list accordingly, so go check it out! I've got a couple of polls too, so you can vote who you want Jiyeon, JB, Jinwoon and Myungsoo to end up with:

JB:
1. Jiyeon
2. Krystal (Kind of odd, but she's also one of my biases, and I think it'll be fun to see how JB reacts to her. After all, Krystal may be one year younger than him, but she's so forthright and straightforward, JB's shyness probably won't be able to handle her)
3. Sora (I know the prologue said he treated her as a sister...but feelings can change, no?)
4. Anyone else you have to suggest? Just comment!

Jiyeon:
1. JB
2. Jinwoon
3. Myungsoo
(It has to be one of the three. No Jiseung or Lee Joon/Jiyeon or any other pairings)

Jinwoon:
1. Jiyeon
2. Nicole (I ship Nicole and Jinwoon a lot, so she's definitely in the running for Jinwoon's partner)
3. Kang Sora
4. Anyone else to suggest?

Myungsoo: 
1. Jiyeon
2. Suzy
3. Krystal
4. Anyone else to suggest?

Please do comment to vote on the polls!