When You’re Not Here

Bad Oppa

 

Miyoung’s POV

 

 

The place was cold but I kept on sweating. I’m totally nervous. I gulped. I continuously looked at the audience from the backstage, hoping to see Chanyeol there. But I know he’s in his training. Tomorrow is their championship game. I know how important it is for him. Unnie is the only one cheering for me here. And my turn is nearing. I didn’t stop praying in my mind. I shouldn’t forget the keys. But I’m getting distracted. My phone vibrated. A message from Chanyeol. My heart jumped.

 

From: Chanyeol

 

Do good there.

 

 

Do good there. There. Does it mean he’s in the audience area? Or still in training? I smiled. I was about to reply a thank you when the stage manager called me. It’s my turn. I heard all of the claps for the previous contestant. I became more nervous. I entered the stage. I walked and sat on the piano stool. I looked at the audience before playing, still hoping to see him in the crowd. I touched the keys, sighed deeply and gave in to the music.

 

 

Chanyeol’s POV

 

After dismissal, I directed to the gym to practice for tomorrow’s championship game. I shouldn’t miss this. I want to assure myself that I’m ready for the game. Baekhyun, Kris and Kai were here too. Good. I wouldn’t let them date any girl in this point of time. I put on my jersey and checked my phone. I remembered Miyoung’s piano competition. I promised her I’ll try. Meaning, I have the choice of not going. But I thought of something. I thought of sending her a message at least. Should I say ‘Miyoung-ah, do your best! Fighting!’ or ‘Don’t be nervous!’?

 

No.

 

Too sweet. I wasn’t like that. so after thinking of the right words, I came up with this.

 

 

To: Miyoung

 

Do good there.

 

 

I thought of so many words yet I decided to send her just three words. But I liked it better than the first messages I thought. I started to warm up and played.

 

 

Miyoung’s POV

 

 

My fingers froze as I finished playing. I’m back to my world again. Silence. Silence filled the whole place. Then a clap. And followed by more claps. But I didn’t anticipate it too much. I was busy looking at the crowd. I finally bowed and walked off the stage. A few more performances and the contestants gathered at the stage. I barely hear any sound. The emcee announced the third place. The girl who played a Beethoven piece. Then followed by the second. I was so tensed. My hands, my back, my neck and face were sweating. I closed my eyes. Then I heard no sound. I was like inside an elevator. Hot and silent, feeling dizzy. I opened my eyes when someone tapped me. It was the contestant on my right side. He was telling me something. I focused myself and listened.

 

“You’re the winner! You won!” he had to shout because of the building claps. Oh my God. I won? I walked slowly infront  and the organizer of the event came closer. The medal hung on my neck. I’ll give the money to unnie. I’m really happy at this moment. But there’s someone I want to see. Everyone congratulated me. I smiled, bowed and thanked them. In wandering around the backstage, I saw Eunkyo unnie walking.

 

“Unnie!” I called out. She turned her gaze to me then ran closer.

 

“Oh my God congratulations Miyoung!!” she hugged me. Very impulsive unnie. I laughed. “I’m proud of you!” she pulled back. I traveled my eyes around us.

 

“Are you not with Chanyeol?” I asked her.

 

“No. why?” I expected this but why am I feeling down?

 

“I thought he’ll come.” I sadly said.

 

“It’s okay. I’m not with him, but I’m with someone else. You’ll surely be happy!” she said excitedly. Eh?

 

“Who?” I looked around again. Then a tall man walked beside unnie. T-that man. Oh my God.

 

“Hi Miyoung. Did you miss me?” he said. His voice was beautiful. I quickly hugged him. I really missed him. We’ve been apart for a long time.

 

“Of course!” I yelled. Of course I missed my bestfriend. My bestfriend Sehun.

 

Chanyeol’s POV

 

 

I didn’t do anything except on practicing. After the training, I took some rest and a shower. I went to my locker while toweling my hair. I wear a shirt on and checked my phone. 9:34 pm. I’m sure the competition’s already finished. I wasn’t able to come and watch her. So what? I’m sure I would just sleep there. But sure thing that she’ll have hard feelings towards me again. I headed out of the school. Along the road, I saw a fancy store still open. I remembered our last date. She dragged me all the way to a clip store. She admitted she liked the clip she was holding but refused to buy it because of the price. Funny girl.

 

“Good evening sir. What are you looking for?” the attendant of the shop showed up.

 

“A-ah, clip. I’m looking for a hair clip.” It was awkward. Aaaaaaaaaargh.

 

“For your girlfriend?” aiiiiish, this is embarrassing. I had no choice but to nod. She smiled and handed me a heart-shaped clip. It looked like the clip she wanted. I found myself smiling. Chanyeol, what’s happening to you?

 

“I’ll take this.” When she finished packing it, I went out of the store. The thought of buying something for her slowly sank in my mind. Why the hell did I think of that? I didn’t know. Aaaaaaaaisssh Miyoung! When I reached home, I checked my phone. Usually, Miyoung would send me random messages, but this time, I didn’t receive any text from her. Did she forget to update me about her competition? Aiissh. Chanyeol, just wait until tomorrow.

 

Miyoung’s POV

 

We went to our apartment and waited for unnie to finish cooking. While Sehun and I talked happily.

 

“How’s the school?” I meant the school where we met each other years ago. Before living here in our apartment, we used to live in Hongdae. But when our parents died, unnie and I decided to move in Seoul to find work opportunities. She became a photographer and did some other works to earn enough money. When we moved in here, I left my bestfriend there.

 

“Maybe it’s fine.” He said.

 

“Why maybe?” I got confused.

 

“When I reached junior high, I left the school too.” He answered.

 

“Oh. Why did you suddenly decide to go in Seoul?” I asked. I’m being excited here.

 

“I’m moving here too. I’m with Luhan and the others.” I widened my eyes in hearing the name.

 

“Oh my God. You mean Luhan, Lay and Suho?!” I exclaimed. My friends back there! When I was still in the academy, I was more closed to those guys than girls. Girls were being intimidated with me. I didn’t know why.

 

“You seem so excited to see them.” He laughed.

 

“Of course!” I slammed the table. We laughed so hard.

 

“They’re going here.” At last I have the chance to meet them again.

 

“God! I’m so excited!” Sehun patted my head.

 

“So, in the serious side. I heard from Eunkyo noona you already have a boyfriend?” I smiled and nodded. He sat closer to me.

 

“Why didn’t you wait for me?!” he said jokingly. My bestfriend!

 

“Yah! Sehun!” I slapped his shoulder.

 

“Do you think I’m joking here?”