How Dare You?

How Dare You?

 

“During the war, the kyungbok palace was destroyed by fire and......” The history teacher rounded the whole class while holding a book and a stick in his hand, ready to discipline anyone who dares sleep in his class. Everyone intently listened, while still struggling to keep awake. It was the last subject before recess break, anyway. History is boring, even boring than those times when you can’t think of anything to do, especially for someone like Ren. He hated history the most. How can he possibly remember the thousands of dates, places and names of people that they tackle everyday in class?

 

“Urgh. Is it still not time?” Ren thought and secretly peeked at the wall clock on top of the blackboard. He made sure to peek in time when the teacher’s not looking at his direction. Ren doesn’t want the teacher to feel insulted, anyway.

 

Tick Tock. Tick Tock.

 

 5 more minutes felt like years. The ticking of the clock seemed even louder than the teacher’s voice for Ren’s ears.

 

He focused his attention to the instructor intently, trying his best to remember every single thing that the thick-rimmed-glass teacher said. He pressed the end of his pen and started copying his notes, just in case he forgets something that the teacher had said

 

Thud.

 

Ren felt a slight jolt of pain on his leg. Someone had kicked his leg. Someone who is seated on his back and he’s pretty much sure that that someone is no other than Kang Baekho.

 

Ren ignored it and continued copying when he felt another tap on his leg, harder this time. He can even hardly call it a ‘tap, kicking may be the right term. He gritted his teeth and turned back.

 

“Stop bothering me!” Ren whispered, not wanting to catch attention from the other souls inside the classroom.

 

Baekho looked at him with a hint of wonder, lying that he doesn’t know what Ren was talking about.

 

“What? Me?” Baekho pointed at himself.

 

Ren turned back to the teacher in a huff. “Ignore him, Minki” Ren shouted in his mind. He resumed copying when he felt another hard kick in his leg. He can’t take it anymore.

 

“Yah!” Ren stood up and glared at the person bothering him. He acted in rush without even thinking that he and Baekho are not the only ones inside the four-walled room.

 

“Is there a problem, Mr. Choi?” the history teacher asked, tapping the stick on the desk of a certain classmate. Ren realized what he had done and looked around. All of the students were looking at him and some were even whispering to each other, probably wondering why Ren suddenly shouted at someone like Kang Baekho. Everyone recognizes Baekho, not just because of his wealthy family but also because of his unique looks, which cannot even be considered a little bit handsome for Ren. ‘Handsome my ’ --- he’d sometimes think. He seriously concludes that Baekho’s fangirls must have eaten something weird to even like Baekho.

 

“N-nothing, sir” Ren saw Baekho smirk. He gritted his teeth, sitting back in his seat. “So want to play, huh?”  Ren thought. “Then I’ll play with you”

 

Just like what he had expected, he felt another hard kick on his leg after a few minutes. He smirked and hastily trapped Baekho’s foot in between his legs. He felt Baekho pulling his foot back so he tightened his hold. He brought his pen down and madly poked the point of the pen on Baekho’s leg. “This will teach you a lesson not to mess with me”

 

“Ahh----” Baekho covered his mouth to not let out a shout. He adjusted on his seat and pulled harder this time, successfully getting his foot back. He saw Ren turn back and smirk. “You....” Baekho mouthed but was instantly cut off when the bell rang.

 

“Okay class. This will end our lesson for today. Please remember to do your assignments, ok? Dismiss!” The history teacher said his final words after hearing the ring of the school bell. He arranged the books in the desk and exited the door. After the teacher was gone, the students stood up and went to their groups. Some of them got out of the classroom to grab food in the cafeteria while others stayed in the room to gossip and just talk whatever.

 

Baekho stood in a huff and walked in front of Ren’s seat. He slammed his hands on Ren’s desk and cunningly stared at the Ren. The other students noticed the commotion and decided to stay quiet. They stared at Baekho and Ren waiting for some action, maybe. Ren looked up to Baekho’s eyes and finally noticed that everyone was looking at them. He hated being the center of attention. He hated it the most, hated it even more than how much he hated history. He doesn’t want to see many eyes staring at him as if he’s a specimen of some experiment. He hated being judged by people who don’t even know him personally. Ren stood up to get out and be away from these gossiping eyes but Baekho held his shoulder and shoved him back down to his seat.

 

“Is that how you pay someone who saved you from being harassed on the streets?” Baekho leaned in and whispered in his ears.

 

“Harassed? You’re the one who said that no one will even have an interest in my body. You’re taking it back now?” Ren asked and fought with Baekho’s hot glare.

 

Baekho stood up and crossed his arms. “I-I..... Ah! Molla! You still owe me so you’ll do everything that I tell you to do in exchange”

 

“Waa...You think I’m your slave?” Ren copied Baekho and crossed his arms as well, making himself look intimidating just like Baekho. “I’m not your dog. I have better business than meddling with you. Now if you don’t have anything to say anymore, can I go out now?”

 

Ren stood up but Baekho held his shoulder once again though he didn’t push Ren back to his seat, this time. He stood in front of Ren and leaned in on his right ear. “now...now...don’t be so excited in getting away from me” Baekho leaned in closer to make sure that Ren clearly hears what he’s gonna say next. “You’re gonna do what I say or you want the class to know right now....” Baekho paused and giggled. “....that we slept on the same bed, huh?” He whispered and blew air on Ren’s ears.

 

Ren instinctively backed his head away and covered his ears. “You.....” He glared at Baekho. If only stares can kill, then Baekho would have long been in heaven right now ---- or should he say, hell!

 

“Now, follow me to the cafeteria” Baekho commanded and walked out. Ren, with nothing to do, sighed and followed him out while everyone rumbled, wondering what exactly Baekho whispered.

 

Baekho looked around the cafeteria and saw his friends seating on the side of the cafeteria, their usual place. He strolled to them while stealing glances of Ren at his back. He smiled. “Oh yes, I’m the man” he thought.

 

“Hey” Baekho said and sat on the seat beside Aron. Ren followed him and stood on his back.

 

“Aren’t you gonna seat?” Baekho asked and patted the seat beside him.

 

Ren stared at the seat for a while and reluctantly sat on it.

 

“Eh? Isn’t he that Minki? What is he doing here?” Minhyun stopped eating his hamburger and asked Baekho. As much as his knowledge tells him, Baekho doesn’t have any friends except for them three, much more being friends with someone who punched you straight on the face.

 

“Just... He’s just here” Baekho answered. “By the way, why are you here? I thought you have physics” He said, changing the topic to Jr and Minhyun.

 

“Oww.. ‘bout that. The teacher’s out. Maternity leave” Jr responded and drank down his remaining cola.

 

Baekho nodded his head, feeling contented that he had successfully changed the topic. “Get me a hamburger and cola. Buy whatever you want” Baekho instructed Ren. He feeled his pocket and took out money. Jr, Aron and Minhyun exchanged looks – wondering looks to be exact. The same exact sentence going through on their minds, why is Baekho slave-ing that Minki guy and why is that Minki doing what Baekho says?

 

Ren took the money and lined up with the other students.  

 

“Yah. Why is he following your orders?” Aron finally voiced his thoughts out.  

 

“To pay me back”

 

“Pay you back? From what?” This time, it was Jr who asked. You can’t really blame, they’re hell curious.

 

“Just to pay me back....  Aish. Mind you own business” Baekho exclaimed.

 

Ren tapped his foot in annoyance. “Let’s just see” he thought. Ren opened his palm and counted the money that Baekho gave him --- ₩3000 --- too much for a single hamburger and a cola but just perfect for what Ren’s planning.

 

“What do you want?” The cafeteria staff nicely asked Ren with a smile on her face. Pledis University is actually a perfect school, a dream school for some may be. The staffs are nice, the teachers are nice –well, ok, SOME --- and the students are also nice. The only mistake about this school is mere presence of a Kang Baekho, at least for Ren.

 

“Ahmm” Ren stared at the menu written on the black board on the wall. “three hamburgers, one cola, one orange juice and one nacho, please” Ren smirked.

 

“Wait a moment” the lady walked around preparing Ren’s order. “Here’s your change” The lady said and laid the tray of food in front of Ren. The school’s cafeteria is much like a fast food restaurant, isn’t it?

 

“Thank you” Ren bowed a little and lifted the tray to Baekho’s seat.

 

“What took you so long? You’re so slo----” Baekho complained but was rendered speechless after seeing the tray of food. His eyes widened. “Yah! Why did you buy so many?!”  He exclaimed.

 

“Change” Ren said and passed the money to Baekho. “You told me I can buy whatever I want. Thanks for the free food” Ren sat on the seat and started eating the hamburger, not minding the amused eyes of Baekho and his three other friends. He’s very much sure that those three are just like Baekho, anyways. ‘Birds of the same feather flock together’ like how everyone says.

 

Well, that quote just can’t seem to comply with the friendship of those four chaebols. Ren was wrong, extremely wrong. Those three are far much better than Kang Baekho.

 

Baekho inhaled a deep breath after seeing the amount of change, “₩500, a single penny. “₩500? Yah! You spent ₩2500 for our food?! Are you insane?” Baekho shouted earning glances from the other students inside the cafeteria.

 

Ren ignored him and just continued with his food. “Once again.... You said I can buy whatever I want and ₩2500 is just a cent for such rich people like you” Ren finally answered.

 

Pure look of amusement are evident in Jr, Aron, and Minhyun’s eyes while looking at how the other two fought with words. Finally, Baekho has met someone on the same level as his. They smirked. Now the real show’s playing.

 

Baekho was left speechless, once again, with his eyes staring blankly at Ren, trying to process what Ren had just said. He may be rich but he cared about his money also. He’s not the kind of person who just spends on useless things and he doesn’t like treating people with free food ---- though Ren’s a special case, he admits. He got back to his self when he heard his friends laugh. He looked around and saw Jr, Aron, and Minhyun laughing while clutching on their stomachs.

 

“Yahhhh..... Kang Baekho’s finally defeated. Hahahaha” Aron teased.

 

“Shut up” Baekho said.

 

Baekho looked back at Ren and saw him stood up. “Where are you going?” He asked.

 

“Out of here” Ren simply answered and walked out while holding on to his hamburgers, nacho, and a glass of orange juice.

 

“Yah! I still didn’t permi---“ Baekho halted his voice when Ren already walked away from their seat. “Gaah.....and I wanted to eat those nachos”

 

“Why are so interested in him?” Jr wondered. “It’s not like you......” Jr squinted his eyes. He seemed hesitant on what he’s about to say.

 

“I what?” Baekho asked.

 

“....you like him or something like that, right?”

 

“Bwoh?!” Baekho shouted again, louder this time. His eyes began to wander from left to right and his fingers fiddled nervously. “w-what did you just say? I-I like him?! That.....that good-for-nothing-girly-looking guy?!.....do you even k-know my standards? Just look at him! he...he won’t pass even in his other life, you know! And why would I like another guy who has the same body parts as mine?!” Baekho defended.

 

“Then why are you stuttering?” Aron beckoned.

 

“b-because----“

 

“See? You’re nervous. You can’t even talk straight. You’re getting weirder, you know Baekho” Aron cutted Baekho off.

 

“Plus, what is so wrong with liking another guy?” Aron quietly whispered.

 

Baekho seemed dazed after hearing about him being weird. He didn’t understand it himself either. He would feel his heart race frantically everytime he touches Ren. He would want to always be with Ren if even every second was possible. He wanted to treat Ren when he doesn’t even like treating other people. He’d feel extremely happy when Ren is beside him. During that time, he didn’t actually mind the back pain from sleeping on the couch but Ren just seemed to be so inviting while clutching on his blanket, it just made him want to sleep beside this pretty face. He just felt loved being with Ren, though Ren’s not exactly giving him love through his constant nagging and shouting. But then.... he still felt loved.

 

“Do I actually like Minki?” Baekho asked himself.

 

...........................

 

Ren placed his food down on the table and sat on the dirty-white-colored seat. The table was a couple of meters away from Baekho’s, making sure that he’ll be a good distance away from that guy. Ren felt severely satisfied right now after getting back at that Kang Baekho. He won this round and he loves it! He drank his orange juice and bit a large portion of the hamburger. He’ll mind the ‘do-everything-I-want’ thing later. He’s too happy to mind such a remorseful thing right now.

 

“Excuse me.... c-can I seat here?” ren looked up to see someone, dressed in the same uniform as him, standing on the side of the table. A tray of food was resting on his palms.

 

“In here? oww......s-sure” Ren nodded his head, feeling awkward to seat with a complete stranger. He had no choice but to say yes since he doesn’t want to look like an awful person in front of a schoolmate. He’s not too heartless to even let someone stand up while eating his food, right?

 

“Thank you” The guy seemed excited and took a seat after placing his tray on the table. He flashed a smile at Ren and started munching his plate of spaghetti.

 

Ren glanced at the guy’s face and frowned. “Eh? You seem familiar?” He had seen this guy. He’s pretty much sure. He just can’t remember when or where. Ren can’t even associate correctly his classmates’ faces with their names so how much more remembering a guy who can be of any year level.

 

“Erm” the dark coffee-haired guy nodded. “We’re on the same class. By the way, thank you very much for that time.... when you saved me on the hallway from being bullied by Kang Baekho” The guy bowed his head.

 

Ren widened his eyes and pointed at the other person in his front. “That’s you?......But you’re not wearing glasses anymore” Ren muttered. As much as he can remember, the guy that Baekho’s bullying that time was wearing eyeglasses. Guess people change a bit when they remove their glasses.

 

“o-oh... I’m wearing contacts, today” The guy took a slurp of his spaghetti and reached his hand out in front of Ren. “I’m Kim Seungcheol”

 

“Choi Minki” Ren simply said and shook the hand lightly. Ren didn’t like talking comfortably with strangers and, yes, Ren has many dislikes. Ren got back to his food and finished his hamburger without even sparing a glance at the person in front of him.

 

“You know what....you seem really cold....I mean, you don’t smile and you don’t talk much” Seungcheol said and tilted his head a little.

 

“Stop staring at me” Ren thought.

 

“I’m just like that. I don’t talk much with strangers and I only smile at people I’m close with” Ren explained, hoping that Seungcheol won’t be hurt from his words. He’s just saying the truth, anyway.

 

“Owww. Is that so? So Kang Baekho’s not a stranger?  Seungcheol raised an eyebrow.

 

“Eh?” Renexclaimed. “Oh no. Please not a Kang Baekho, the second” Ren yelled in his mind after seeing seungcheol raise an eyebrow. Seungcheol looked scary like that.

 

“Well, You see...I saw you with him a while ago at the classroom and you seemed to be friends?”

 

“Friends?!” Ren shouted, totally finding it hilarious of how can someone say that Kang Baekho is his friends. Ughh! “Don’t ever say that. We’re not friends. Nu-uh. Never! Well, if you consider your friend very hateful, then I guess I’ll be bestfriends with him. If you get what I meant.....”

 

Seungcheol laughed aloud while covering his mouth. “Wow. Now you’re talking. Hahahaha. Can I be your friend?” Seungcheol asked, totally serious.

 

The question made Ren taken back. This Seungcheol guy wants to be friends with him?

 

“Well? Being friends are not bad, right? I mean.... you saved me last time....” Seungcheol asked again with a smile on his face. This guy just loves to smile, doesn’t he?

 

Ren looked at him. He’s hesitant of having a friend. Well, the guy didn’t seem bad at all. He seemed kind at least, not like that Kang Baekho. Guess it won’t hurt to have at least a single friend, right?

 

“I guess” Ren said and looked down. He was startled when Seungcheol suddenly grabbed both his hands.

 

“Really? That meant ‘yes’, right? Thank You!” Seungcheol bowed his head several times and smiled at Ren, again.

 

“y-yeah” Ren felt weird. He pulled his hands back immediately. He turned his head away from the guy and instantly met Baekho’s eyes. “Did Baekho see everything?” Ren asked himself.

 

“But then, why the hell is he glaring at me?”

 

....................................

 

Kring. Kring. Kring.

 

The sound of the bell resounded throughout the school, indicating the wrap up of classes for the day. The teachers immediately ended the classes after the bell. Students stood up and fixed their things, ready to go back to their homes.

 

Ren closed his notebook and placed it inside his bag. He pulled the strap of his black bag and wore it on his shoulders.

 

“Yah! Where are you going? Did I say you can go home already?” He heard Baekho say on his back. He rolled his eyes and got out of the classroom. As if he’ll let Baekho even control what time he has to go home. Ren went out of the classroom and was walking on the hallway.

 

“Minki-yah.... let’s...go...together” Ren turned back and saw Seungcheol panting with hands on his knees.

 

“Eh? It’s okay. I can go home by myself”

 

“No. I’ll take you home”

 

“No.... it’s really ok----“ Ren was cut off when he felt a hand on his waist.

 

“Hey babe” Baekho placed a hand on Ren’s waist and pulled him, slamming his body to Baekho’s. Baekho flashed a smile and kissed him on the cheek. “Ready to go home?”

 

“What the......”  Ren widened his eyes when he felt a kiss him on his cheek. He was too shocked to even say something or even move and shove Baekho away from him.

 

“Let’s go” Baekho said and pushed Ren to walk with him, hands still on Ren’s waist.

 

“Walk or you’ll get it” Baekho whispered in Ren’s ears.  Baekho looked back at Seungcheol and smirked.

 

Seungcheol was left speechless on hallway, staring as Ren walked away from him.

 

When they reached the corner, out of Seungcheol’s eyes, Ren pinched the side of Baekho’s stomach causing Baekho to free Ren from his hold.

 

“Ouch!” Baekho shouted.

 

“Why did you do that?!” Ren shouted back.

 

Baekho stood up straight and glared at Ren. “You’ll do my assignment in history, you hear me? Be sure to do it or i’ll let this whole school know that Choi Minki slept with Kang Baekho” Baekho gave a final glare at Ren and walked away.

 

“What the hell?”

 

.....................

 

“Where’s Baekho?” Aron asked and searched everywhere for Baekho but failed to spot him.

 

“He said we go first” Minhyun said. They were waiting for Baekho at the front of the school like the usual.

 

“Oww. Then let’s go” Aron said and walked away with Minhyun following him.

 

“Eh? Yah! Where are you two going together?” Jr asked and extended his hands out, stopping Aron and Minhyun from walking away.

 

“Aron hyung said he needs my help on something so I’ll go to his house” Minhyun explained.

 

“Oh” Jr uttered in a gloomy voice. He brought his hands down and tried to smile. “Okay”

 

“Bye Jonghyun. See you tomorrow” Aron smiled at him and waved his hand goodbye.

 

“Can’t I be of any help anymore that you haveto even ask Minhyun and not me?” Jr sadly stared at Aron. “I thought we’re the best of friends”

 

 

 

-----------------------

I'm very sorry for this crappy chapter.... I wanna bang my head on the wall right now.... No ideas are coming to my mind, maybe coz I'm nervous if i'll get admitted on the course that I want. I'm very sorry everyone. TT^TT