Chapter Five

Bittersweet Days

            My eyes grew wide as I saw the ugliest person in my life; I struggled to pull free and jumped back trying to evade the lame attempts of the boy trying to grab a hold of me.

 

“Yah! Jung Jessica get your back here right now!” I heard him call out as I booked it toward the dorms.

 

“Never you sick ert!” I yelled pushing to run a little bit faster.

 

            I sighed in relief as I made it to my room and shut the door securely. There’s no way he could barge into the girls’ dorms without getting in trouble.

 

“Jessica!”

 

            I saw the ugly boy crawling in through the window, beads of sweat falling from his face. He successfully fell onto my floor and started breathing heavily.

 

“How the hell did you get up here?! This is the eighth floor!” I yelled at him searching for a ladder or some sort of entrance route to the window.

 

“I scaled the wall,” he let out a painful cough.

 

“Are you crazy?! Do you even know how dangerous that is?!” I screeched at him kicking him to roll over.

 

“Yah… you know I just wanted to see you baby sis,” he said with sincerity.

 

“Yeah, yeah, you could’ve used the door, you know Yunho?” I said helping up off the floor.

 

“Totally not as fun,” he answered sitting on one of the desk chairs.

 

            An awkward silence was beginning to ensue as he twirled around in the chair and I sat on my bed. It had been so long since I had seen him and he looked different. I could tell he had shed a few pounds and his teeth were finally straight. He could probably thank mom and dad for the teeth though.

 

“How… have you been?” he suddenly asked his eyes full of concern.

 

“Better,” was my honest answer, I couldn’t say that I was still hurt or angry because I wasn’t. There are things that I’ll always remember when it comes to my past but they’re things that are getting harder to affect me.

 

“Good,” he smiled and his unnaturally white teeth shone.

 

“Jesus Christ those things are bright! Put them away! Put them away!” I yelled covering my eyes. It felt good to be able to joke around with him again, it had been too long.

 

“How harsh… you don’t like my shiny teeth,” he feigned dejection with his hand over his heart.

 

“Anyways,” I started with a sly smile. “When’s my pretty unni going to call?”

 

“Oh right,” Yunho sighed while pulling out his phone. “You know I really think the only reason you hang out with me is to talk to my girlfriend.”

 

“You just figured that out?” I smirked snatching his phone and pressing speed dial number two. “You know you should really put unni as your speed dial number one.”

 

“You know that’s saved for umma! She’s first in my heart,” he smiled happily.

 

“Yunho you were supposed to call me an hour ago!” unni’s voice rang through the phone.

 

“Oh sorry unni, oppa is a bit busy at the moment,” I said apologetically.

 

“Omo! My little sis is back!!” she yelled loudly into the phone.

 

“Unni I’ve missed you so much!!” I returned the deafening sound with one even louder.

 

“Yah! Are you trying to cause your unni to go deaf?!” she scolded as I snickered. “I heard that snicker! Don’t you make me come out there right now and teach you a lesson!!”

 

“Boa unni!! Oppa and I want to see you!” I stated as I sat on my bed.

 

“Yunho just saw me like an hour ago,” she answered. “But if it’s just you then we should just go by ourselves.”

 

“Where should we meet?”

 

            I listened attentively to her answer as Yunho stared curiosity burning in his eyes. He frowned when I hung up and got up from the bed.

 

“You’re not going to tell me what’s happening are you?” he asked shaking his head in disbelief.

 

“You already know the answer,” I smiled looking out the window. “Hey oppa… Isn’t that Fany over there… with Jiyong?”

 

“What that punk?!” he got up and ran over to the window as I maneuvered out of his way and out the door quietly while he was yelling across toward the two.

 

            Sorry for throwing you into the fire Fany but it had to be done. I ran down the hall and threw open the door to the entrance to see Boa unni waiting there patiently.

 

“Finally!” she exclaimed grabbing my hand and pulling me along. “We only have five hours until curfew so let’s hurry.”

 

“We have a curfew?!” I asked bewildered at how fast Boa could run.

 

“What boarding school doesn’t?” she asked over her shoulder.

 

“Well…” I trailed off as we passed the gate and walked the rest of the way to the bus stop. “I guess I didn’t go to boarding school before this so I wouldn’t know.”

 

“I thought St. Mary’s was a boarding school?” unni ran her fingers through her hair once we sat down.

 

“No, I lived with my aunt,” I answered paying the bus fee.

 

“Omo! Look what I found!” she pointed to a person sitting by himself. “A little stray kitten!”

 

“Yah… noona do you really have to do that here?”

 

“Yes, yes I do Changminnie,” she smiled while pinching his cheeks. His irritation showed as he pushed her hand away from his face.

 

“What are you even doing here?” he asked crossing his arms. “Aren’t you supposed to be with hyung or something?”

 

“What you think I’m permanently attached to that doofus?” she asked pushing him roughly.

 

“No I’m just wondering,” he replied then looked to me. “What are you doing with her?”

 

“She’s Yunho’s sister dummy!”

 

“Another one?” Changmin blurted out and I glared.

 

“You got a problem with that?” I demanded.

 

“Not really. It’s just he always surprises me with sister,” he answered seemingly ignoring my glaring. “Where are you two going anyways?”

 

“Going to eat dinner with you!” Boa smiled happily.

 

“What? I’m not going to eat dinner,” he replied looking to her like she was crazy. “I have plans to go…”

 

            He trailed off when Boa gave him her signature pout then sighed and agreed with dinner but that he was in no way paying for it.

 

“If you’re going to drag me to eat then you’re going to be paying for it,” Changmin crossed his arms in a defiant manner.

 

“What? You would let your noona pay for food?” Boa asked astonished at his behavior. “Aren’t you supposed to pay since you’re the man?”

 

“Hey! I’m a poor student! Do you think I’m just going to pay for you to eat until I run out of money and end up being a bum on the street?” he asked in all seriousness.

 

“Don’t worry unni we don’t need him anyways,” I said grabbing her by the arm and pulling her with me. “We can just eat by ourselves.”

 

“What? Noona!”

 

            Changmin ended up following us into a small restaurant where he started to complain about paying for dinner.

 

“You know if you didn’t want to pay you didn’t have to come with us,” I said watching him eat his kimchi jigae.

 

“Yeah but then I wouldn’t eat dinner,” he replied after swallowing.

 

“Changmin would probably forget to eat and then complain when he gets back to his dorm,” Boa said shrugging. “He forgets easily but he eats like a pig.”

 

“I’m a growing boy noona! I have to eat a lot,” was his retort and I shook my head in disappointment.

 

“How come you’re so innocent now?” I mumbled wondering where his narcissistic demeanor from earlier went.

 

“Because he’s with me!” Boa smiled mischievously. “You know I should probably call Yunho to tell him that you’re with me Sica. So I’ll just be right back.”

 

            When she darted off I knew what was going to happen and hid my face in shame. Only Boa unni would ditch her boyfriend’s little sister to set her up.

 

“She’s doing it again!” I sighed frustrated.

 

“Oh jeez. She does this to you too?” he asked looking at me.

 

“What do you mean ‘too’?” I asked confused while meeting his gaze.

 

“Ever since I broke up with my girlfriend noona has been setting me up on dates,” he stated. “She never knows when to stop.”

 

“Really? Every time I came back for vacation she used to set me up,” I replied. “She’d always tell me about a guy she knows. She doesn’t ever stop.”

 

“She’s crazy I’m telling you,” he said sighing in disbelief of her actions.

 

“You’re right,” I laughed at his conclusion. “She is crazy.”

“Yunho used to talk about you a lot,” Changmin started off.

 

“Used to?” I prodded, even though I might not like his answer.

 

“He said that some stuff happened but that you used to be a fun loving, kind person,” he looked me dead in the eye. It made me shiver. “Then you were shipped off to your aunt and ever since you weren’t the same. I just want to know what happened.”

 

It’s complicated.

 

            I wanted to tell him that but what was the use in hiding it anymore. Why was it that the truth was so hard to keep? But it hurt so much to keep to myself.

 

“He died,” I answered trying to be nonchalant but I could already feel my eyes well up.

 

“Who died?” he asked simply interested in my story.

 

“My boyfriend,” I replied quickly wiping away the first tear that slipped my eyes. “I had always loved him but Fany always hated him. He was older than me by a couple years but I fell in love with him nonetheless.”

 

“Are you going to tell me how he died?” he kept dishing out questions that I no longer wanted to answer.

 

“Shot.”

 

            We sat in silence for a moment as I remembered what had happened that night.

 

“Come on Jess,” he pulled me close breathing into my neck. “Just this once.”

 

“Stop, please,” I could hear how pathetic I sounded. “Jiseok.”

 

            I tried to push him away with all my might but he was much stronger than me. I could feel the barrel of a gun on my side and I whimpered in pain as his grip tightened on my wrists.

 

“I love you, you know that right Jess?” he pressed his lips against mine.

 

            I felt useless as he tossed the gun aside and reached for the hem of my shirt. Still I was trying to push him away and he grabbed tightly and ripped at the shirt.

 

“Don’t fight it,” he cooed.

 

“Jiseok!”

 

            I looked behind him to see her standing there, gun in hand pointing right at the square of his back.

 

“Put it down kid,” he turned toward her but she held her ground. When he advanced toward her she pulled the trigger.

 

“Jiseok!” I yelled and was by his side in an instant.

 

I didn’t have to check his pulse to know that he was dead.

 

“By Fany.”