Chapter Two

Bittersweet Days

“No I want a pepperoni pizza with extra cheese!!” I let the door fall open to see a small petite girl yelling into her phone. “I don’t care how much it costs I just want my freakin’ pizza!” she suddenly hung up and then finally noticed me standing there.

 

“Hi,” she smiled sweetly. “I’m Taeyeon, and you must be my new roommate.”

 

“Yeah,” I nodded awkwardly. “I’m Jessica.”

 

“Ah! The twin!” she exclaimed her hands clasping around mine and her eyes twinkling. “Your Fany’s big sister!!”

 

“You know Tiffany too?” I was tired of all the people that knew her.

 

“Of course! Fany’s like my best friend!” she exclaimed jumping around causing me to try and keep up with her twirling.

 

“Yah!” we heard come from the window.

 

            The two of us looked at each other and then reluctantly shuffled over to the window to see a scary student across from us. His eyes were narrowed and his jaw set firmly, I was glad he was staring at Taeyeon and not me.

 

“What do you want?” Taeyeon had her hands on her hips and her eyes narrowed with equal intensity toward the boy.

 

“Baby,” he then smiled and I swooned. He was really good looking. “Can you keep it down; I’m trying to sleep here.”

 

“Don’t you be callin’ me ‘baby’,” Taeyeon shot back at him causing him to frown. “You stupid thug.”

 

“Yah! Taeyeon!” he yelled at her his face distorting into the devil’s incarnate. “What did you just say?!”

 

“Yah what’s with all the yelling?!” I heard a familiar voice come from the other room.

 

“My baby girl’s acting up again GD,” the boy pouted.

 

“Taeyeon why do you keep doing this to me?!” and suddenly Jiyong’s face came from the window.

 

“Jiyong?!” I yelled surprised.

 

“Hey-ey-ey, Jessica!” he nodded with a sly smile. “Can’t wait for when you take your shower.”

 

“You know him?” Taeyeon asked me.

 

“He’s in my class,” I answered giving Jiyong the stink eye.

 

“I even walked her back to the dorms,” he added eavesdropping on our conversation.

 

“Oh, so you guys have a ‘thing’ going on?” the other boy asked.

 

“Hells to the yeah TOP,” Jiyong answered.

 

“Yah!” I yelled picking up the closest thing to me and throwing it across into their window. I heard a loud satisfying crash and the pain of a familiar ‘ow’.

 

“Yo Jiyong are you okay?” the TOP character acted concerned but I could hear the smile in his voice.

 

“Damn, ma girl’s got an arm on her,” Jiyong got up holding the now broken Pucca clock in his hands. “y and strong, I wonder if she could make my bed rock.”

 

“Yeah Jiyong you wanna try that out now?” I asked in my most y, sultry voice.

 

“Really?” he asked his eyes wide with surprise.

 

“You’re kidding,” TOP shook his head in disbelief.

 

“Of course I’m kidding!” I yelled throwing another item towards them, this time hitting TOP in the forehead with a rather large book.

 

“Yah!” TOP yelled in anger.

 

“Baby,” Taeyeon sighed. “Why am I dating someone so childish?”

 

“You’re dating him?” I asked surprised.

 

“Yeah Seunghyun and I have been dating since sophomore year,” Taeyeon informed holding up the peace sign. “He’s my boo.”

 

“Jiyong do you really like this girl?” I heard Seunghyun ask.

 

“Naw,” he answered with a chuckle. “You know there’s only one girl I’m lookin’ at.”

 

“She’s way out of your league,” I stated with a scowl.

 

“Jealous, baby?” Jiyong asked his eyes smoldering. “I can easily be persuaded by a girl like you.”

 

“I can easily use you as target practice too, baby,” I smirked.

 

Touché,” he replied trying to be y.

 

“Hey baby girl,” Seunghyun called out and Taeyeon was next to me again.

 

“Yeah boo?” she answered smiling again.

 

“You gonna share that pizza with me?” he asked and I couldn’t help but chuckle at their antics.

 

“In your dreams!” Taeyeon shouted slamming the window closed and shutting the blinds angrily.

 

“You seem to like him,” I smiled sitting on my already made bed.

 

“How could you tell?” she asked smiling back.

 

“So which class are you in?” I asked casually. I hadn’t seen her in my class so she must’ve been in one of the others.

 

“I’m in 3-E,” she answered. “With Seunghyun.”

 

“So that’s why I hadn’t seen you,” I nodded in understanding. “So you know their other friends too?”

 

“We don’t hang out much,” she replied. “But, yeah I know them. Usually when I’m with Seunghyun it’s just the two of us. His friends, other than Jiyong, don’t ‘approve’ of us. They think I’m just some ditzy Queenka that doesn’t belong in their group.”

 

“Harsh,” I said empathizing with the feeling. “It was same way when I started St. Mary’s. Everyone thought of me as the princess from a rich family that got sent away probably for spending too much money on clothes.”

 

“I don’t know why they don’t just get over themselves and realize that we’re not so different,” Taeyeon vented her anger on the subject. “They don’t even know me! I could probably beat all of them up with one hand tied behind my back.”

 

“At least someone accepted you as a friend,” I said. “I spent four years with no one.”

 

“Fany told me about what happened,” she said and I could feel the sympathy she had.

 

“What did she tell you?” I questioned.

 

“She said that your boyfriend had died and you… changed after that,” she answered awkwardly. “I’m sorry; you probably don’t want me talking about this.”

 

“No, no, it’s just, it’s still a touchy subject for me,” I said nodding as if it was alright. “Everything happened so fast that I didn’t know how to react.”

 

“You must’ve really loved him,” she said sadly.

 

“I did,” I replied not expecting her to catch my double meaning behind that phrase.

 

“Let’s get off this subject, it seems to be too depressing for either of us,” Taeyeon suddenly said. “Pretend we never talked about it. It’ll be something that never happened.”

 

“Thanks, Taeyeon,” I smiled warily.

 

“You can call me Taengoo,” she said.

 

“Taen-goo?” I asked awkwardly.

 

“It’s a nickname I got from my friends,” she answered smiling.

 

“Taengoo unni!” a young girl busted through the door and wrapped her arms tightly around Taeyeon.

 

“See?” she said pointing to the girl. “What’s up Seohyun?”

 

“Oppa lost his couple ring!” she shouted rather loudly.

 

“Well it was bound to happen,” Taeyeon shrugged indifferently.

 

“But unni!” she exclaimed saddened by the issue.

 

“I’m just telling you the truth!” she laughed.

 

            There was silence for a moment as Taeyeon and Seohyun started having a stare down, suddenly the latter looked toward me and smiled.

 

“You must be Jessica,” she said standing up straight and reaching her hand out for a handshake. “I’m Seohyun.”

 

            I grabbed her hand reluctantly and got a firm shake. She smiled sweetly and then sat down next to Taeyeon still staring at me. It was nerve wracking having her watch me while smiling so casually.

 

“Don’t mind her she’s a little creepy,” Taeyeon commented and was suddenly pushed aside by the young girl. “Yah! What the hell was that for?!”

 

“Unni you shouldn’t use profanity!” Seohyun gasped and pointed accusingly at Taeyeon. “How can Seunghyun oppa like a girl like you?!”

 

            I laughed at the two bickering. Some days I wish I had someone like that, to have moments with, silly or not. The two stopped and looked at me and suddenly joined in with the laughter.

 

            The rest of our day went like that, Seohyun complained about her boyfriend, who I found out’s name is Younghwa, and her and Taeyeon bickering like little kids. It was nice, to say the least.

 

            I groaned and shuffled out of the dorms the next morning not ready for another school day but had to face the reality of things, I had to go to school. It was just one of the many things that had to be done.

 

“Jessica!” I found Jiyong pushing himself from the wall to greet me.

 

“Oh gross unni don’t do that in public!” I heard Seohyun groan and for an instant I thought she was talking about me but quickly found her talking about Taeyeon and her boyfriend kissing.

 

“You know we could do that too, right?” Jiyong wrapped his arms around my waist and had his face inching closer to mine.

 

“In your dreams moron,” I said pushing his forehead back and maneuvering out of his grip.

 

“I love you too, honey,” he draped his arm over my shoulder and smiled cheekily at me as I scrunched my nose and frowned at him. “You know that’s very cute, makes me want to kiss you all the more.”

 

“You’re such a loser Jiyong,” I laughed as we walked to school. “When are you going to learn, you’re not my type.”

 

“That’s what you think baby but soon you’ll see that I’m your knight in shining armor,” he smirked and I chuckled at his failure of pick-up lines.

 

            When we entered the school building we parted with Seohyun, Taeyeon and Seunghyun and went to our respective classes. Jiyong still had his arm around my shoulders and walking like he was a player. I didn’t push him away because I didn’t want him to pout like a little kid again like he did last night when he wanted some pizza.

 

“You should really learn better pick-up lines Jiyong,” I joked when we entered the classroom and he stopped. I turned from him to see many of the students staring at us, one of them being Tiffany.

 

“Jiyong,” I whispered in his ear my lips curling into a smile and he finally snapped back. “Don’t be a loser.”

 

“Alright,” he chuckled lightly and casually continued on to our seats.

 

“I can’t believe it, she’s been here for a day and she’s already got someone in her pants? What a ,” I could hear some of the girls whisper in the back.

 

“I know, and Jiyong too? Now it’s a and a screw-up,” another one giggled. “I mean out of all people, why him?”

 

            From the corner of my eye I could see Jiyong gritting his teeth in anger with his fists clenched. I grabbed one of his hands and gently held it in mine as he looked down at me surprised.

 

“Don’t make a scene now, lover,” I smiled warmly as he cocked an eyebrow.

 

“They’re talking about you and you really don’t care?” he asked his face slowly forming into a cocky smirk.

 

“I’ve got you in my pants, I don’t need to care about anyone else,” I joked as he laughed half-heartedly. “Anyways, like you said: ‘I’m only lookin’ at one girl’. Or something along those lines.”

 

“Heh, I guess you’re right,” he shrugged with a laugh. “But I think she distrusts me now, after walking in this morning.”

 

“Don’t worry, I’ll talk to her,” I reassured. “I mean from the way she looked at us, I’m pretty sure she likes you.”

 

“Do what you will,” he leaned back in his chair and sighed as if uninterested.