Chapter One

Bittersweet Days

“I heard that she got kicked out of her last six schools and that this was her last resort.”

 

“Really? I heard she had killed some student and got sent here.”

 

“I don’t want to be anywhere near her when she gets angry.”

 

“Just as long as she stays away from oppa I’m fine.”

 

            The rumors were long and tiring but each different. I had never been to a school that had everything so twisted, usually everyone knew exactly my story word for word but the kids here were just stupid or something.

 

“Jessica?”

 

            I looked up to see a girl with a round face and a cheeky eye smile. Her hair was straight but the last time I had seen her it was wavy. She reached out for a hug but I quickly averted it and saw the dejected look on her face, it may be cruel but I smiled sympathetic when I saw the sadness in her eyes.

 

“Morning sis,” I said and flipped my long blonde hair as I walked through her posse.

 

“Tiffany has a sister?”

 

“I hear they’re twins or something.”

 

“Tiffany is way better.”

 

“Are you kidding the new girl is not only badass but also fine.”

 

            Tch! I didn’t want to deal with this; people were so immature when it came to rumors and school gossip. If I had my way I’d be on my way to a place that no one has ever heard of me, maybe Italy or Greece, but not here, anywhere but here.

 

“I heard she totally powned Tiffany.”

 

“Good, that deserves it.”

 

            The first words I hear when I walked into my new classroom. It’s not that I had a lot against Tiffany, but her mistake cost me everything that meant anything to me, but I will not tolerate this, she’s still my sister after all.

 

“What did you say?” I asked threateningly with a glare. Both girls cowered back, when I slammed my hand on the desk they flinched violently. “Don’t ever talk about my sister like that ever again or I’ll mess up those pretty little faces of yours so bad not even your mother will be able to recognize you.”

 

            The two were silent as I stood up straight with a smirk on my lips. It felt refreshing to have people scared of me. Their fear was feeding my ambition to make it all right. I sat down in one of the many seats of the class. It didn’t take long for me to settle into my seat and already start reading through the textbook I was given. When I had been at St. Mary’s I had a lot of time to study and it became a natural occurrence.

 

            When classes had ended for lunch I headed toward the cafeteria, it was like walking into school again with many students watching my every move. I sat down with a tray of food and everyone around scrambled away frightened. I sighed, what a ty response that was.

 

“Sica,” Tiffany waved and sat in front of me. “Unni how has school been so far today?”

 

“How do you think?” I asked sarcastic. “And what did I tell you about calling me unni? We’re a four minute difference in age.”

 

“Hey babe,” a slender boy sat next to Tiffany.

 

            He had dark brown hair and a very girly face, almost too girly. He looked at me while Tiffany wasn’t paying attention and his lips. I snorted in disgust, great boyfriend Fany he’ll treat you real well.

 

“Have you been to your dorm yet Sica?” she asked curious.

 

“I dropped my stuff off there this morning,” I answered.

 

“I wonder who your roommate will be,” she smiled and for the first time in a long time it reminded me of our younger days. “Hey, since we’re in the same class and all why don’t you come by the dorm and I’ll catch you up on your studies. We’ll have girl time like we used to.”

 

“Maybe,” I said with a grimace. “I’ve still got lots of getting used to; I don’t want to jump into all of it yet.”

 

“Understandable,” her smile dropped a bit, disappointment in her eyes, Fany always gets her way and when she doesn’t. “Why don’t we go Joongie?”

 

            Her boyfriend stopped with the imprudent faces and turned to Fany with a sweet smile and answered with a nod.

 

He’s cheating on you

 

            I wanted to say but she had already left and there was no use embarrassing him in front of all these people because it would only hurt her more. I’d have to do it in a more discreet manner.

 

            I got up from the table and walked out of the cafeteria and walked through the hallways of school. It was big for a boarding school and there seemed to be a lot of students, I wonder how much each student pays to come here.

 

Lucifer~

 

            I heard singing as I walked down the hall and as I passed I saw a group of boys dancing. I stopped and looked through the window, they were good. I watched through the window as the music stopped and wondered if they were going to start another song. One of the boys took a drink from his water and when he wiped his face with his arm his eyes caught with mine.

 

            He smiled then waved and I wondered what the hell I was doing watching, trying to play it off coolly I glared and kept walking. Hoping he wouldn’t try to catch up with me I wasn’t paying attention to what was in front of me until I felt a thud and was sitting on the ground.

 

            Looking forward I saw a pretty girl her eyes wide with confusion with a guitar wrapped in her arms like she was holding on for dear life.

 

“What the hell happened Jieun,” boys from the room poured out to see the confused girl.

 

“I’m sorry unni I didn’t mean to run into you,” she said getting up from the ground and offering a hand to help me up.

 

            Reluctantly I took it and with a strong grip she pulled me up. I thanked her and started to walk further down the hall.

 

“Do you want to come watch?” I heard a male voice ask.

 

“Yeah unni it’d be really fun,” the girl called Jieun smiled.

 

“Why not?” I asked aloud and followed them into the practice room.

 

“I’m Jonghyun,” the boy I had made eye contact earlier with introduced.

 

“I’m Jessica,” I replied.

 

“Oh the new girl,” he smirked cheekily. “Tiffany’s sister, right?”

 

“Reading up on my profile, kid?” I asked smirking with the same intensity.

 

            His face twitched and I smiled at how irked he was by the label ‘kid’. The other boys introduced themselves as Minho, Taemin, Jinki or Onew and Kibum or Key.

 

“So you’re her sister?” Jieun asked her face tilted to the side in a cute manner.

 

“Yeah,” I answered. “Why?”

 

“It’s just her boyfriend,” she looked to be on the verge of tears.

 

“You don’t have to talk about it if you don’t want to Jieun,” Minho said comfortingly.

 

“What happened?” I demanded to know.

 

“He’s just not a good guy,” Taemin said.

 

Thud!

 

            I looked toward Jonghyun who had his fist against the wall and his face was red with anger. It was slightly frightening to watch as he became angered.

 

“I won’t forgive him for touching my little sister,” I could feel his wrath from where I sat across the room from him.

 

“Oppa it’s alright,” Jieun grabbed her brother by the arm and tried to calm him.

 

“I’ll make sure he pays for it,” without thinking the words slipped from my mouth. The six looked toward me with curious expressions. “For playing my sister and hurting yours, I will not tolerate it.”

 

“Wah Jieun you always run into dark and scary people,” Onew joked halfheartedly.

 

“What are you talking about Jessica unni is just being protective!” Jieun defended then turned to me with a smile. “Thank you unni, for caring about me.”

 

“It’s nothing,” I replied getting up. “It seems I should probably head back to class. I’ll see you guys later.”

 

“Noona you don’t have to leave yet,” Taemin said. “Lunch still has another fifteen minutes left.”

 

“Yeah but I still have to figure out how to get back to my class,” I smiled and walked out back toward the way I came.

 

            I came across my classroom and walked in to find a student sitting in my seat his feet on the desk and his head slung back, mouth wide open, snoring. I chuckled at the scene and walked around and tapped his forehead a couple times. He stirred a little then fell back restlessly. I tapped him again and this time, surprisingly, he tumbled from his seat to the floor and stood up quickly his eyes wide.

 

“Good afternoon,” I smiled and sat down.

 

“Who the hell are you?!” he demanded.

 

            Annoyed I turned to him with a glare and stared him down a few seconds but he didn’t falter. Finally he stomped his foot childishly and sighed.

 

“Aish, you know that glare doesn’t look pretty on you,” he said.

 

“And?” I raised an eyebrow wondering what the point of him saying that was.

 

“I’m Jiyong, by the way, Kwon Jiyong,” he introduced and I found myself not caring.

 

“Jessica,” I replied crossing my arms.

 

“Oh you’re—” he was about to point.

 

“Jiyong?” I looked toward the door to see several students walk in. “This is where you’ve been? We had rehearsal today, you know?”

 

“Oh, sorry guys, I slept in this morning and came to class to find a pretty girl at my desk,” he had a dorky smile on as he rubbed the back of his head.

 

“Tiffany’s sister?” a petite girl with a cute face questioned.

 

“Yeah Dara, it’s Fany’s sister,” he answered.

 

“What did you just say?” I blurted out and he looked at me confused.

 

“That you’re Tiffany’s sister?” he posed it as if it were a question.

 

“No, you called her Fany,” I stated. “Only people really close to her call her that.”

 

“Oh,” he thought for a moment and quickly put on a cheeky smile. “She’s my tutor so I got used to calling her that.”

 

“Uh-huh,” I nodded confused; Fany wouldn’t let someone she was just ‘tutoring’ call her that. I knew her well enough to know that at least.

 

“Well let’s get ready for class!” Jiyong clapped his hands together and sat down in the seat next to mine.

 

“I don’t want you sitting next to me,” I stated bluntly intentionally hurting his feelings.

 

“Aw come on baby~, I know you want me,” he slung his arm around my shoulder and pulled me toward him.

 

“Jiyong stop flirting with girls out of your league,” one of his friends joked. He had a cute smile, almost childlike.

 

“Shut up Youngbae,” Jiyong muttered angrily his brows furrowed.

 

            I laughed at his cute antics and shook my head disbelieving how a high school student could act so much like a child. He stared at me as if I was out of my mind but I continued to smile and soon he started to laugh too.

 

“You know, you’re a strange one,” he commented while the bell for class rang and students came filing in.

 

“Thanks, same goes for you,” I retorted sarcastically.

 

            The rest of the day went by smoothly and Jiyong offered to walk me back to my dorm since I didn’t have a club to attend and he ‘reluctantly’ decided to skip his.

 

“So you and Tiffany aren’t that close I hear,” he stated walking next to me casually with his hands in his pockets.

 

“It’s not that,” I said looking at the sun in the sky. It was still a beautiful day out.

 

“Then what is it?” he pressed for more information.

 

“We just sort of drifted slowly apart,” I answered nonchalantly. “I was sent overseas and she was sent here. We haven’t really seen each other since junior high school.”

 

“Your parents just separated you like that?” he questioned his brows furrowed again.

 

“It wasn’t a big deal,” I shrugged causing Jiyong to turn to me incredulous.

 

“Man,” he sighed. “If me and my sister were separated I don’t know what I’d do.”

 

“Let’s just say it had to be done,” I replied, sighing also.

 

“Dude, listen to us, we sound like a couple of saps,” Jiyong commented making the both of us laugh. “I can’t believe that we’re even talking like this.”

 

“You’re the one who got us started on the topic,” I pointed out and he smiled back.

 

“Just trying to get to know a pretty girl,” he slyly put his arm around my shoulders.

 

“Says the boy that’s in love with my sister,” I laughed pushing his arm off.

 

“I’m not in love with her!” he denied.

 

“What a quick denial Jiyong,” I smirked as he blushed profusely.

 

“Shut up,” he muttered looking away angrily.

 

“I’d rather you be dating her then the jerk she is dating,” I tried to comfort. “I don’t know what she sees in that pig.”

 

“They’re engaged, you know,” he said.

 

“Wait, what?!” I exclaimed turning him back towards me.

 

“You’re her sister and you don’t even know?” he asked surprised by my reaction. “Your parents and Jaejoong’s parents decided it a couple years ago.”

 

“I’m the outcast in my family,” I said shrugging it off. “No one ever tells me anything.”

 

“Don’t you have a younger sister and older brother?” Jiyong asked casually.

 

“Yeah, Krystal and Yunho,” I said smiling. “Yunho is a senior and Krystal is a sophomore.”

 

“At least you know that much,” he joked and I socked him in the arm for it. “Ow! That hurt!”

 

“I know,” I smiled cheekily.

 

“You know hitting people isn’t very lady-like,” he stated and I socked him again.

 

“But it’s hella fun,” I retorted.

 

“Not really,” he muttered while rubbing his arm.

 

“Whatever baby,” I shook my head while laughing. “We’re here anyways.”

 

“Oh, we are,” he said looking up toward the tall girls’ dorm building. “I guess I’ll see you in class,” he waved and I waved back.

 

            I walked into the building and went straight to the elevator, for some reason I was on the eighth floor and I refused to walk up the stairs. When the elevator dinged open I walked to my room 813 and opened the door.