Reflection / El Dorado

Rise of EXO

"I wonder who they could be?" Se Hun wondered out loud as the person with the kite, plus another person, came into view. They were standing by a desk, which was very out of place in this field.

Lu Han noticed that the person not holding the kite was watching them, so he waved his hand in the air and called out, "Nǐ hǎo!"

The person waved back, and it even looked like they were smiling. They must be nice, in that case.

"Hi! I'm surprised we're not the only ones here," the one without the kite said when they got closer.

"We were really surprised, too! Anyway, my name is Lu Han, and this is Se Hun," Lu Han greeted, holding out his hand.

"My name is SuHo, and that's Kyung Soo," he said, shaking Lu Han's hand.

"You can call me D.O.," the one with the kite finally spoke.

"It's nice to meet you two," Se Hun said quietly with a shy smile.

"What brings you two here?" Su Ho asked.

"We come here every few months with our RV and camp for a few days," Lu Han answered, "How about you?"

"We're here with another friend of ours," D.O. explained as he reeled the kite in. "We live in the city on the other side of the forest. We found a shack at the edge of the trees, which is where our friend is now. We came out here when we spotted the desk."

"I remember seeing that run-down place not that long ago. I wonder what it was used for?"

"We have no idea. But our friend, Chan Yeol, found two stones with weird carvings."

"Then we found this desk this morning," Su Ho added. "I don't think it was here yesterday... it just kind of showed up out of nowhere."

"Maybe if we all look in the shack together, we might be able to find something?" Se Hun suggested.

"That's a good idea," D.O. agreed. Su Ho nodded. He waved his hands for them to follow, and he lead them towards the shack near the trees.


Part Two: El Dorado

To Lu Han and Se Hun, the shack looked fine on the outside, just a little beat-up. The inside was the bad part - there were leaves and tree branches scattered all over, broken furniture, some boards missing from the roof...

"Chan Yeol!" Su Ho called, and a moment later, he appeared in the doorway to another room - his height surprised Se Hun, and he could tell that Chan Yeol was taller than him. He clung to Lu Han's arm for the sense of security.

"We've met some new friends, Lu Han and Se Hun!" D.O. gestured at them when he said their names.

"It's nice to meet you, I'm Chan Yeol." His quiet voice and smile calmed Se Hun. Chan Yeol came forward and bowed to them before he turned to Su Ho and D.O. "I found something new." He held up a packet of yellowed papers, bound together with string on the spine.

"What is it?" Se Hun asked, his curiosity getting the better of him.

"There's some words and pictures. Two of the pictures match the stones we found, but the words... I can barely understand them!" Chan Yeol opened to the first page and read out loud.

"I wonder what it's supposed to mean?" Lu Han thought out loud. "Do the pictures help at all?"

"No, not at all! Come on into the other room, I'll show you the stones."

He lead them into the next room, which was more of a wreck than the first - the ground was scattered with leaves, broken branches were piled up in the corner, and there was a hole in the roof that provided the room with most of its light.

"Hmm, that's weird," Chan Yeol mumbled, bending over. He picked up one of the stones off of the ground. "This one was glowing a little before, but now it's glowing even more!" He held the stone out for the others to see. The soft blue light radiating from it was entrancing. Something about it gave them each a sense of familiarity, like they'd seen it before.

"Is the other one like this?" Su Ho asked.

"No, just this one," Chan Yeol explained, gesturing to the other stone. Su Ho picked the other one up, and Lu Han and Se Hun examined them:

The first stone had a symbol in the shape of a water droplet, with a left-pointing arrow inside a circle in the bottom part. The second stone had a profile of a unicorn's head.

After flipping through the other pages, Chan Yeol said, "A few other pages have scrambled up words with diagrams, like some kind of code. The last bunch have only pictures and a faded-out word on the bottom of each, except for one."

"Mind if I take a look?" D.O. offered. "I'm pretty good at solving puzzles." Chan Yeol handed him the papers, and he started looking them over.

"It looks like it's the afternoon now," Su Ho observed through a hole in the roof, then turned to Lu Han and Se Hun. "I would like to invite you two back to our apartment, if you'd like to join us."

Se Hun smiled at Lu Han and shook his arm Lu Han thought for a moment, then answered, "Sure, we'd love to! I could even drive us all there in our RV!"

The happiness instantly drained from Su Ho, D.O., and Chan Yeol's faces at the suggestion.

"That... might not be safe," Su Ho's voice was quiet and serious.

"What do you mean?" Lu Han asked.

"A few weeks ago, the criminal organization called B.A.P. took control of the city. They cut our power supply, minus street lamps, so we've been living mostly off of batteries and a couple generators. They've also barricaded the entrances to the city and put up a wall around it. That said, it would be really tough to get in with an RV."

Lu Han nodded, showing that he understood. "How did you get out?"

"We had to sneak out," D.O. started, through a hole we dug through the fence. We only made it because that section of it is unguarded. That spot lead us out to a path through the forest, and eventually to this shack."

"Maybe... we could at least bring the RV into the forest, just so it's nearby?" Se Hun suggested.

"We don't live far from that spot, so you would have semi-easy access," Su Ho said.

"Then we'll do that!" Lu Han agreed. "Se Hun and I will get the RV, and we'll meet you three back here in a bit!"

Su Ho nodded. Lu Han and Se Hun ran back to the RV - they cleaned up the fire, brought the stones and chairs back in, and scattered the ashes. They were back at the shack about ten minutes later, when they picked up the others. Su Ho directed Lu Han to a spot at the edge of the forest where the path opened, and the RV just barely fit in.

A few minutes in, Su Ho said, "Stop here. You wouldn't want to get too close, or they could discover the RV sitting out here, and who knows what they would do with it."

Lu Han parked the RV. He and Se Hun brought their bags with them when they left. They followed the others up to a tall metal wall that had a small hole, big enough for one person to crawl through at a time, next to the ground. Su Ho dropped to his stomach and crawled through.

"After you," D.O. said, stepping out of Lu Han's way. He pushed his bag through first, then did as Su Ho did and crawled through on his stomach.