Chapter Nine

Star Witness

Doctor Kang adjusted her horn-rimmed glasses and proceeded to write something on a metal clipboard. She was a tall, thin woman with the indifference of a cat and the liveliness of a robot. Her wiry hair stood out from her head like antlers. The doctor slowly her revolving chair, almost mechanically, to face her patient.

She shot an apathetic stare at Yoona and glanced at her clipboard one more time. “Your cardiac rate, pulse rate and respiratory rate were relatively higher today.”

Yoona noticed it herself. She had heard her heart pounding all throughout the medical assessment. She frequently glanced at her wristwatch and would shift restlessly in her seat. In her mind, she kept repeating one sentence over and over like a chant. I wonder if it worked.

“A rise in one’s vital signs could be accounted for by your circadian rhythm, hormonal changes and so on and so forth. But apart from that,” the doctor continued. “You are healthy. If you experience palpitations, dizzy spells and the like, please do not hesitate to phone me.”

“Thank you, doctor,” Yoona stood up and bowed. The doctor nodded emotionlessly and immediately turned back to her desk.

Yoona was barely out the door when her cell phone began to ring. She hurriedly slipped out of the room, gently closed the door behind her and took out her phone from her pocket. She couldn’t believe what she saw on the screen.

Mother calling.

~~~

It seemed as if a bucket of grey paint had been carelessly splashed upon Lee Myungdae’s office. The walls, the tiles, the curtains, the desk – everything came in a shade of gray. The officer sat on a giant grey revolving chair, sorting through newspaper clippings in a box. He didn’t look up when his son entered the room. He didn’t respond when his son greeted him good morning.

After what seemed like an eternity, Officer Lee finally put the box aside and spoke. “Sit.”

Like a dog, Donghae obeyed. He sank down on a rigid metal chair facing his father’s steel grey desk. His train of thought was going a thousand miles per hour. All the possibilities of what could be said, of what could happen were running through his mind.

“You know why you’re here?” Lee Myungdae spoke quietly. To Donghae, it was like the calm before the storm. He prepared himself.

“Yes, father,” he looked down.

“You failed relentlessly,” Officer Lee’s words were sharp and clear. “Your lack of common sense, foresight and practicality had placed the witness in a very perilous situation yesterday. It was only by luck that you managed to get to her on time. What if you didn’t?”

Donghae bit his lip. He asked himself the same question. What if he didn’t get to her on time?

“She could’ve died,” his father went on, leaning back on his chair. “She could’ve died and the whole NPA would’ve lost its credibility – all because of you. Of course, every action has its consequences, Donghae. Do you understand this?”

Donghae heaved in a sigh.

This is it.

“Yes, father. I understand.”

~~~

Mother? But I thought she’s in Macau right now. She hardly calls me when she’s in Korea. Why would she make a long-distance call from there? Yoona wondered as she pressed the “answer” button.

“Yoona!” Her mother’s voice shrill voice sprang out from the speaker. “Do you remember Mrs. Kim, the matchmaker we met last year?”

Yoona totally forgot about that. “U-uh, yes, mother.”

“Well, I have good news for you. She called to inform me that she found you the perfect match! He’s the son of the president of a well-known insurance company! Imagine the business prospects that could result from your marriage!”

~~~

Lee Myungdae regarded his son for a while. He watched Donghae shift uncomfortably in his seat, his eyes grazing the floor.

The officer cleared his throat. “I would suspend you right now.”

Donghae’s brows knitted. He didn’t look up.

But,” Officer Lee continued. “Since it’s not entirely your fault, I’m willing to give you one last chance. If you mess up one more time, you’ll be suspended before you could explain yourself.”

Donghae couldn’t believe it. Was his father joking around with him? The Junior Agent looked up. No. Officer Lee looked as serious as a stone statue.

I’m not getting suspended? Donghae felt as if he was floating. His insides were suddenly light, the air around him suddenly fresh. He felt dazed, confused – overwhelmed. He must be dreaming. I can’t believe it….

“Son,” Lee Myungdae continued, amused at his son’s reaction. “Do you know why I threw that paperweight at you?”

Donghae shook his head.

“Because I knew you would catch it. I would never give you an assignment that you are not prepared for. I would never give you a mission that is too advanced and would compromise your safety. As your father, I know that you have the knowledge, skills and capability to protect a witness. Don’t disappoint me.”

“Thank you,” Donghae barely got the words out his mouth. He still felt overjoyed. This was so unreal.

“Don’t thank me,” Officer Lee said as he motioned towards the door. “Thank Im Yoona. She came here first thing in the morning and tried to persuade me not to fire you.”

~~~

“We’re going to meet him and his family next week at a five-star hotel. I’ll send Hana money. You’re going to go to the mall and buy yourself decent clothes. I want you to look respectable during the meet-up. Is that clear?” Without even a good-bye, Yoona's mother hung up.

Yoona stared at her phone for a while, not quite believing the conversation that had just taken place. Matchmaker? Marriage? Meet-up next week? She suddenly began to feel dizzy.

She pocketed the phone and began walking down the hallway back to the Junior Academy Dormitories. Her heart was racing and for some reason, her steps felt heavy – as if she was dragging something behind her.

A long time ago, she vowed that she’d always put her family first. But why was there a huge hindrance this time? As if a heavy weight was pulling her – tearing her apart.

What’s wrong with you, Yoona? She asked herself aggravatingly. You have to fulfill your duties to your family. Why are you so hesitant? Why are you so worried? Why are you feeling so torn?

But right then and there, her question was answered.

She felt someone’s arms wrap around her from behind, pulling her in. At once, she knew who it was. She could smell that familiar scent of his. She could feel his breathing. She felt surprised but at the same time, complete, safe and fulfilled.

“Yoona-shi,” Donghae whispered as he pulled Yoona closer. “Thank you.”

~~~~

Author's Note: Happy New Year everybody! I can never thank you all enough for continuing to read and support this fic. Anyway, I just watched Super Junior's KBS performance Live on Ustream. They were phenomenal! Go Suju!

Let's all hope that 2011 will be an even better year for Yoonhae. Thanks once again and don't forget to drop a comment and tell me what you think!